#51 2009-07-04 20:15:57

Egads, whatever made you think--for even an instant--that I'd be referential to HS in any way? But thank you for the shove of confidence, regardless.

#52 2009-07-05 13:59:05

George is right: it's something you're familiar with and could do easily while you pursue your real interests. It's gotta better than a frigging call center, under any circumstances.

#53 2010-03-13 16:05:10

Since Taint asked about Partner™ on the “fuck the franchise” thread, I thought I should post an update here.  Partner™ has had four blood transfusions in the last five months.  This has been necessary because the radiation treatment for his cancer left him with varicose veins in his lower colon which leak.  A proctologist went up there and cauterized the worst of them, so this problem has finally stabilized according to his most recent lab work.  He just had a PET Scan, which confirmed an enlarged lymph node in his neck is a metastasis.  This is the only metastasis he has at this time and he will start radiation treatment soon to clear it up.  This will be round three on the radiation treatment and will require daily trips to a medical center for treatment.  Partner is up and around as his energy level permits.  He takes Vicodin for an unrelated pain problem, and a sleeping pill at night, so I refuse to let him drive.  This means I have to take him to all of his many medical, lab, and radiation appointments plus anyplace else he wants or needs to go to.

#54 2010-03-15 19:59:25

This thread opened the classic Holy Shit Fnord is Gay thread, which put a smile on my face.

I sincerely wish you and your mate the best.  I've had and have friends and loved ones dealing with the C.  Stay positive, modern oncology does some impressive shit nowadays.

#55 2010-03-16 01:02:47

Yeah, man. I have my problems with your late-Victorian vintage racial theories (I'm still waiting for the phrenology), but godspeed. It sounds like you're being a real stand up guy about this. Again, all the best.

#56 2010-04-08 18:56:26

Partner™ will be having another blood transfusion in a few days.  He has begun to have rectal bleeding again, so next month after the current round of radiation referred to above we will have to schedule another anal probing session with his proctologist.  As he only has one malignant lymph node at this time, we are both optimistic that his “mysterious disease” will go into remission.

#57 2010-04-08 21:37:59

Sorry to hear about it, fnord. I was hoping you'd gotten through the worst by now.

#58 2010-04-08 23:41:24

I will keep good thoughts that this will be the last of your troubles, fnord and Partner™.

#59 2010-04-09 19:18:10

Good thoughts for both of you.

#60 2010-04-09 21:46:53

Hey Fnord, I may be your sworn enemy, but hope things start looking up for you and your boy.

#61 2010-04-09 22:21:54

Fingers crossed. Hang in there mate.

#62 2010-04-10 12:01:20

I hope it all turns out for the best.

XOXOXO

#63 2010-04-10 12:08:16

+1

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery, and failing that, comfort.

#64 2010-04-11 18:23:22

Hey Fnord, I haven't been there, but I've been in the neighborhood. Best hopes for everyone, and keep your head up. I'm not saying that I wouldn't savor the irony if all the doctors and nurses are black, but that would just be gravy. Take care of both of you, and I hope it all works out.

#65 2010-05-13 00:59:13

Partner™ has finished the latest round of radiation treatment.  At the moment, he doesn't have any active lesions.  He is very anemic again, so he will have a blood transfusion tomorrow.  On Monday, he will be anal probed so the leaking blood vessels in there can be taken care of.  This leakage is the result of an earlier round of radiation to that part of his body.  Once the anal probing is done, the cause of his anemia should be taken care of and he shouldn’t need further transfusions.  I hope so, because we have plans to go to Southern California in July.

I can’t say enough about people who donate blood.  This will be Partner™’s sixth transfusion.  He is given two pints each time, so he will have received blood from as many as twelve different people after tomorrow.  Were it not for these people, he would probably be dead now.  Of course, if the Jehovah’s Witnesses are right, he’s beyond any possibility of salvation and will go straight to Hell when his time comes!

#66 2010-05-13 01:15:45

That is good news! (the health bit, not the J-Dub verdict)

#67 2010-05-13 01:49:47

fnord wrote:

I can’t say enough about people who donate blood.  This will be Partner™’s sixth transfusion.  He is given two pints each time, so he will have received blood from as many as twelve different people after tomorrow.  Were it not for these people, he would probably be dead now.

Gee, did you check to see if it was blood from white people only?

Last edited by AladdinSane (2010-05-13 01:52:05)

#68 2010-05-13 01:58:51

AladdinSane wrote:

fnord wrote:

I can’t say enough about people who donate blood.  This will be Partner™’s sixth transfusion.  He is given two pints each time, so he will have received blood from as many as twelve different people after tomorrow.  Were it not for these people, he would probably be dead now.

Gee, did you check to see if it blood from white people only?

Partner™'s blood type is A Negative; only an insignificant number of near-Whites with White ancestry from both parents would have a miniscule chance of having this blood type.  So the odds are 99.9999999999% that all of the donors were White.

#69 2010-05-13 03:34:24

Thiat's great to hear!  I hope for the best for your racist asshole ass.  I mean it.  You're the cilantro in life's burrito.

#70 2010-05-13 05:48:56

fnord wrote:

AladdinSane wrote:

fnord wrote:

Partner™'s blood type is A Negative; only an insignificant number of near-Whites with White ancestry from both parents would have a miniscule chance of having this blood type.  So the odds are 99.9999999999% that all of the donors were White.

That's about the same percentage match between white and black DNA, isn't it?

#71 2010-05-13 06:17:07

They never let me donate blood. Either I don't weigh enough, or my iron count is low, or they have issues with my medication.

Anyway, my thoughts are with you both. What a long and grueling road.

#72 2010-05-13 06:20:19

Fled wrote:

fnord wrote:

AladdinSane wrote:

Not at all! The recent finding that Caucasians and Asians received 4% of their DNA from Neanderthals while Africans have no Neanderthal DNA is a bit of conformation of what most people have intuitively known, that blacks aren't like everybody else!

#73 2010-05-13 07:43:26

Best of luck to you both, Fnord.  You may be a racist bastard, but we love ya.

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2010-05-13 21:44:40)

#74 2010-05-13 07:44:37

fnord wrote:

Fled wrote:

fnord wrote:

Not at all! The recent finding that Caucasians and Asians received 4% of their DNA from Neanderthals while Africans have no Neanderthal DNA is a bit of conformation of what most people have intuitively known, that blacks aren't like everybody else!

Take a closer look at the science.  The neanderthal percentages you cite relate only to Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), which accounts for only a tiny percentage of total DNA.  A child gets mtDNA only from its mother, and apart from mutation it is largely identical back through matrilineal ancestry.  If a family line only has sons, then the mtDNA line ends. 

Once could argue that this suggests that females are genetically dominant.  However, almost all of the total DNA a cell contains is in the nucleus.  This is where a mother's and a father's combination of DNA occurs, allowing most or all individuation.

Current science does indicate two principal "families" of mtDNA, African and non-African.  Even though the raw percentage of total DNA that is mtDNA is tiny, this does not mean that it is unimportant.  But that is where my knowledge of the subject runs out.  Maybe someone else strolling on High Street can add something.

#75 2010-05-13 08:41:09

karenw wrote:

They never let me donate blood. Either I don't weigh enough, or my iron count is low, or they have issues with my medication.

Me neither. I have all sorts of autoimmune issues. I can't be vaccinated against anything, either, as far as I know.

Fnord, I've been thinking of you. I hope everything goes well today and Monday, and that you're able to go on your trip.

#76 2014-01-24 14:47:11

The soul of Partner™ has moved on to the next phase of his journey. I feel a sadness which will have to run its course, however long that may take. My main thoughts about Partner™ have been of love for him, and profound gratitude for the role he played in my life. The transition event was mercifully brief and calm for him, lasting less than 24 hours. In that time he received many visits and phone calls from relatives and friends, who were able to say their goodbyes, and tell him how much they loved him and what he had meant in their lives.

#77 2014-01-24 14:49:52

Fnord,

Sorry to read this. 

My thoughts are with you.

#78 2014-01-24 15:15:07

No one grieves the same way but I find lots of sleep helps.

#79 2014-01-24 15:26:00

May you be at peace Fnord. Your partner was clearly loved and cared for. My condolences and thank you for sharing some of your journey with us.

#80 2014-01-24 16:37:22

And we all shall meet our end, blessed are those that are surrounded by loved ones.  Grace unto you my friend you have stood by and been true to the one you loved.

Last edited by Emmeran (2014-01-24 19:40:10)

#81 2014-01-24 17:40:20

Fnord, I'm so sorry but I'm happy your partner died peacefully, knowing he was cared for. Be well.

#82 2014-01-24 18:54:33

Sorry to hear of your loss, Fnord. Take care of yourself. And when you're ready for it, we fully expect you to double your output here at High Street.

#83 2014-01-24 18:57:28

May you remember the good times, and know peace. I rarely offer virtual hugs on High Street, but take them as needed.

#84 2014-01-24 19:03:26

Sorry here too, fnord. Cancer sucks! Outside of High-Street, I spend my days in the world of oncology and late stage metastatic disease is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. He is in a much better place and free of that shitty disease now.

#85 2014-01-24 19:14:59

May your happy memories overtake your thoughts of sadness. In time you won't be able to think of him without a smile coming to your face. I wish you peace.

#86 2014-01-24 21:14:11

Fnord, I am so sorry.

#87 2014-01-24 21:58:59

Sorry to hear about your loss.  I sent you a message.

#88 2014-01-24 23:04:27

Very sorry to hear this.  Hope you'll be OK.

#89 2014-01-25 00:02:50

I'm sorry for your loss, Fnord.  I truly am.

When my father died I read these words by Henry van Dyke as a part of my eulogy... perhaps they will give you some comfort, as they did me.

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone"

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.
And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

Someday you, too, will sail your ship on your own journey, Fnord.  I pray he will be there waiting for you on that new shore, ready to cast you a line and make your landing a safe and welcome one.

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2014-01-25 00:05:08)

#90 2014-01-25 09:41:08

Fid

Condolences Fnord.

#91 2014-01-25 09:43:23

My thoughts are with you today fnord. May the hole left behind be filled with the best of memories.

#92 2014-01-25 13:50:23

It is good that his transition went so well, and that so many loved ones got to visit with him and with you.  I know your loss is great and am sorry you have to go through it.

#93 2014-01-25 13:51:13

doesyourpussyhurt wrote:

My thoughts are with you today fnord. May the hole left behind be filled with the best of memories.

I didn't see the word "left" the first time I read that and had a good laugh. Thank you for that. Thank you all of you for your expressions of sympathy and concern.

#94 2014-01-25 14:04:06

Fled wrote:

It is good that his transition went so well, and that so many loved ones got to visit with him and with you.  I know your loss is great and am sorry you have to go through it.

When it was clear his time had come, his daughter and I asked if he wanted to be taken home from the ER, or be admitted to a hospital far away from our small town. He elected to go home to die in his own bed and told us he was at peace and ready to go. The ER staff scrambled to get hospice care set up and persuade the fire department to send a paramedic unit to transport him (all of this after normal business hours for Hospice). Having seen many people spend their final hours in a hospital room, I highly recommend avoiding this if at all possible.

Last edited by fnord (2014-01-25 14:10:08)

#95 2014-01-25 19:18:15

Awww, so sad. Brotherly hugs all around...

#96 2014-01-27 11:20:09

I hope the peace of knowing he doesn't suffer any longer outweighs the grief of no longer having him.

Last edited by Scotty (2014-01-27 11:30:16)

#97 2014-01-27 12:51:46

My thoughts are with you, fnord.  Stay strong.

#98 2014-01-27 14:59:10

fnord, let me add my voice to the condolences from your friends here at H-S.

#99 2014-01-27 17:38:34

Peace be with you, brother.

( I don't mean brother in the negro sense, we all know how much you would hate that sentiment.)

#100 2014-01-27 22:06:49

My condolences fnord.  Stay strong.

Board footer

cruelery.com