#2 2009-06-10 14:59:13

Rusty Brown, the Holiday Inn guest who helped Bergmann follow the prankster's instructions, told TSG he was "an innocent bystander and got involved in domestic terrorism." Bown, 36, remarked that there was "absolute panic in that hotel," adding that, "all I did was make it worse. I'm not proud of breaking windows. It is very disheartening."

Magic.

#3 2009-06-10 14:59:30

Prince Albert in a can.

#4 2009-06-10 16:29:57

choad wrote:

Prince Albert in a can.

Flash back.

#5 2009-06-10 16:53:12

This is the punch line born of teaching a populace to respect, fear and not question authority. In addition, the majority of Americans think it commendable to believe without proof the most ridiculous bronze age myths. I don't think many of the skeptical, indeed, cynical folks here at High Street would have fallen for this prank. I'm not saying we wouldn't have played along, just that we would have known it was a prank. I wonder if Rusty Brown is one of us?

#6 2009-06-10 17:08:22

nfidelbastard wrote:

A bunch of shit.

Yes, I think I hear you.  However, what do you really mean?

#7 2009-06-10 17:24:59

MSG Tripps wrote:

choad wrote:

Prince Albert in a can.

Flash back.

You bet. Many, many demented hours. And if I stayed up late enough, I snuck down to listen in on the recap that always began with, "Do you know what Billy did today?" Is your refridgerator running? I was easily amused.

#8 2009-06-10 19:24:28

choad wrote:

I was easily amused.

Once upon a time so was I.

#9 2009-06-10 23:07:12

Brilliant!  I wish I had thought of that.

#10 2009-06-10 23:26:23

It's wonderful that the police report can be used to replicate this as needed. 

Let's see if there are other combinations of Dusty, Rusty, Brown, Gray, etc. cited in recent news as mayhem enablers.

#11 2009-06-11 00:05:41

choad wrote:

Prince Albert in a can.

Are you Dunn?

#12 2009-06-11 10:25:07

Like they teach you in the CIA: There is no disguise more impenetrable than a clipboard. Pick one up and you are both invisible and an authority figure. Even over the phone, the concept still works.

#13 2009-06-11 11:09:02

nfidelbastard wrote:

This is the punch line born of teaching a populace to respect, fear and not question authority. In addition, the majority of Americans think it commendable to believe without proof the most ridiculous bronze age myths. I don't think many of the skeptical, indeed, cynical folks here at High Street would have fallen for this prank. I'm not saying we wouldn't have played along, just that we would have known it was a prank. I wonder if Rusty Brown is one of us?

An what makes you think this is an American phenomenon?

When you start confusing politics with the human condition it only proves you need to get out more.

(*edited for spell fail)

Last edited by Emmeran (2009-06-11 11:10:32)

#14 2009-06-11 11:32:18

As fun as this sounds, I think the guy who was calling restaurants and grocery stores and convincing the managers to strip search female employees had a much more gratifying experience.

Last edited by phreddy (2009-06-11 11:33:21)

#15 2009-06-13 01:21:50

exdwarf wrote:

It's wonderful that the police report can be used to replicate this as needed.

It seems to be propagating just fine on its own.

#16 2009-06-13 02:01:13

square wrote:

No doubt there's something seriously wrong with me but I think that's lovely.

#17 2009-06-13 14:15:39

choad wrote:

square wrote:

Vandalism by proxy is not lovely. IMHO.

#18 2009-06-13 16:56:44

sigmoid freud wrote:

choad wrote:

square wrote:

Vandalism by proxy is not lovely. IMHO.

I would agree with you if peoples' homes were being vandalized.  This is excellent because it shows the results of America’s fucked up public education system.  Public schools do not teach critical thinking; they're usually prison/daycare facilities that are supposed to crank out obedient wage slaves.

#19 2009-06-13 17:42:15

fnord wrote:

I would agree with you if peoples' homes were being vandalized.  This is excellent because it shows the results of America’s fucked up public education system.  Public schools do not teach critical thinking; they're usually prison/daycare facilities that are supposed to crank out obedient wage slaves.

You say that is if it were a bad thing. Those Cheetos aren't going to check themselves out.

#20 2009-06-13 19:09:42

MSG Tripps wrote:

nfidelbastard wrote:

A bunch of shit.

Thanks for the critique.

Yes, I think I hear you.  However, what do you really mean?

That people are sheep because they are taught that stories about talking donkeys and snakes and flying people are true. Couple their lack of critical thinking skills with a bias towards unquestioning respect for authority and with a deep enough voice or a uniform you can probably convince...Oh fuck it. I'm just jealous I didn't think of the prank.

Last edited by nfidelbastard (2009-06-13 19:22:14)

#21 2009-06-13 19:19:07

Emmeran wrote:

An what makes you think this is an American phenomenon?

I never said it is. I only have experience with Americans. In fact much worse seems to happen in Africa, India and other backwater places where belief in witches and penis thieves exists. But if I read about pranks such as this in Europe maybe I'll comment. It would be interesting as in general the citizens of Europe are much less religious than Americans. I don't know about their views on authority though.

When you start confusing politics with the human condition it only proves you need to get out more.

I do. Need to get out. More.

#22 2009-06-13 19:22:47

fnord wrote:

Public schools do not teach critical thinking; they're usually prison/daycare facilities that are supposed to crank out obedient wage slaves.

"Slaves" might feel and express discontent. The desired product is, instead, unthinking worker ants.

Board footer

cruelery.com