#1 2009-06-13 21:01:45

If you come across a good page with updates from Iran, stick it in here.

Tehran Bureau is doing frequent updates with video and text in English.  Their analysis of the polling data is interesting.

Jim Sciutto of ABC has had his video cameras confiscated, so he's twittering.  The #iranelection keyword might be good to watch for as well.

Frequently updated flickr account

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2009-06-13 21:04:10)

#2 2009-06-13 21:19:55

meh. The Imam's will have that place well in check by next week.

#3 2009-06-13 21:27:58

Super -- thanks for posting.

#4 2009-06-13 21:55:19

Unless the people of Iran reject Islam and behead the Ayatollahs, the place will always be a Turd World freak show.

#7 2009-06-13 23:51:29

There were two ranks of police on motorcycles, two policemen per bike, dressed in body armor that made them look like starship troopers

#11 2009-06-14 18:38:55

My first thought was that it was stupid to claim to have won by such a wide margin, but it turns out that if you don't get a majority then there's a runoff, and I'm sure they didn't want to do that.

#12 2009-06-14 18:41:58

Neocons are experts at Febreezing turds.

He supports everything they do. He's xenophobic, misogynistic, and ruled by religion.

What's not to love?

#13 2009-06-14 18:43:51

sofaking wrote:

He supports everything they do. He's xenophobic, misogynistic, and ruled by religion.

What's not to love?

His foreign policy is essentially indistinguishable from Reagan's, if you just swap around the names of a few countries.

#14 2009-06-14 18:45:34

jesusluvspegging wrote:

sofaking wrote:

What's not to love?

His foreign policy is essentially indistinguishable from Reagan's, if you just swap around the names of a few countries.

Insert "Jesus" for "Allah", and it's the same fucking thing.

#15 2009-06-15 01:19:59

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/t … orted.html

I do not endorse the accuracy of this piece, but found it interesting nonetheless.

Last edited by orangeplus (2009-06-15 01:20:42)

#16 2009-06-15 02:00:17

Also: DUDE! Iranian girls are hot!

#17 2009-06-15 16:18:29

What's Persian for "Guido Douchebag?"

Last edited by orangeplus (2009-06-15 16:19:23)

#18 2009-06-15 19:33:07

My Persian cat is so pissed off at me right now. She was meowing all this shit about Bonsai Kitty being totally made up by the Jews. I went berzerk and called her a "fuckin' sand tigger." I also stopped pointing her water bowl towards Mecca and it's now pointing towards Dollywood. A lot of hate at the crib right now.

Last edited by Banjo (2009-06-15 19:36:37)

#19 2009-06-15 19:39:55

Banjo wrote:

My Persian cat is so pissed off at me right now. She was meowing all this shit about Bonsai Kitty being totally made up by the Jews. I went berzerk and called her a "fuckin' sand tigger." I also stopped pointing her water bowl towards Mecca and it's now pointing towards Dollywood. A lot of hate at the crib right now.

LOL Banjo!  Where have you been?

#20 2009-06-15 19:57:33

Traveling more than ever.  Prostate cancer is big business now, so my job went from clinical work to doing presentations. It has been a big killer of my on-line (and free) time, but I now armed with an aircard and a new Mac. I'm good to go.

#22 2009-06-16 12:50:44

Banjo wrote:

Prostate cancer is big business now, so my job went from clinical work to doing presentations.

Presentations? How many different ways are there to say, "Bend over!"?

#23 2009-06-16 13:44:49

choad wrote:

Banjo wrote:

Prostate cancer is big business now, so my job went from clinical work to doing presentations.

Hmmm... I can think of severa- wait. What were we talking about?

#24 2009-06-16 16:10:34

choad wrote:

Banjo wrote:

A lot of people have got the "bend over" part down to a science. That's the easy part. It's the gentle purring of the eighties hit "Der Kommissar" in a patient's ear that really establishes excellent bed side manner. It is my work and my passion to educate the world on the harmonious relationship between the anal sphincter and the sweet ass tunage from my boy, Falco.

#25 2009-06-17 00:22:22

I would like to be wrong about my first assessment and I still feel that I'm not. but...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 … 600571.htm

#26 2009-06-17 09:10:27

What I think is most entertaining here is that while the two presidential candidates battle it out in the international press and the people battle it out in the street, it's all for nothing. When Irans leading mullah gets around to deciding who to back, that will be the final word on the subject. It's like a Supreme Court of one, the pope. All of this secular stuff doesn't mean jack, the boss-man gets final say.

#27 2009-06-17 11:00:25

orangeplus wrote:

I would like to be wrong about my first assessment and I still feel that I'm not. but...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 … 600571.htm

I haven't ever seen the Iranian security authorities behaving fairly before and it's quite impressive.

That does sound like a hopeful spark.  Thank you for posting the piece.

Also thanks to the balls-of-steel Aussie who's still there reporting.  Oi oi oi.

#28 2009-06-17 14:10:28

GooberMcNutly wrote:

What I think is most entertaining here is that while the two presidential candidates battle it out in the international press and the people battle it out in the street, it's all for nothing. When Irans leading mullah gets around to deciding who to back, that will be the final word on the subject. It's like a Supreme Court of one, the pope. All of this secular stuff doesn't mean jack, the boss-man gets final say.

That's precisely why it's so important.  The opposition candidate has close ties to the existing power structure.  He isn't some dark horse reformist.   People prefer him, though, and that changes the nature of the relationship between the government and the people.  The Mullahs know that they could put their foot down and pull a Tienanmen whenever they want, but that would make for an uneasy tension between them and the people, and the last thing they want is people talking about a world without them running the show.  They aren't going to be unseated because of this now, but it could set the tone for the next few years.

#31 2009-06-19 15:40:22

Like many others, she is enraged by the "khutba" (Friday sermon) of the Ayatollah Khamenei which will now open the doors for a Tiananmen in Tehran. Saturday will likely be the bloodiest day so far, if the brave crowds decide to come out. Another friend from Tehran cried on the phone, after he had been to Tehran University to pray and hear the Ayatollah's sermon. His last words to me before the mobile phone connection was cut off were: "Tomorrow there will be blood."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/parvez-sh … 17903.html

Last edited by orangeplus (2009-06-19 15:41:35)

#32 2009-06-19 21:02:06

#33 2009-06-19 22:01:58

I was really waiting for the Hammer Pants flash mob to show up in that one.

#38 2009-06-20 13:30:29

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 00256.html

Oooooooo, somebody's playing with fire here

#39 2009-06-20 13:41:28

orangeplus wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/20/AR2009062000256.html

Oooooooo, somebody's playing with fire here

It is coming across Twitter/FB that this was a set up.  Pics soon I understand...

#41 2009-06-20 15:18:29

jesusluvspegging wrote:

False flag?

The story mentions Press TV, Iran's government-approved English language station. This is their web site.

#42 2009-06-20 15:35:40

Who cares who did it, it's just as funny either way.

Have you ever seen pictures of that place? It looks like the sort of place an insane manufacturer of low end bathroom and house fixtures magnate would hand build for his rec room. (Which in a way does make an interesting historical parallel, as on September 11th, three of the ugliest monumental buildings in the history of this country were attacked and all hell broke loose.)

#44 2009-06-20 17:17:43

Some CIA lookin shit right there. Paris Persians making vids for the State Dept talkin all that nice jazz about women's rights and respect for the ethnics. None of em been east of Vienna since 79, now trying to claim the current fuck up as their fuck up.

#46 2009-06-20 17:39:56

There is a near continuous line of military and paramilitary activity resulting in fatalities stretching from the Himalayas and the Indus river all the way to the Mediterranean sea.

#47 2009-06-20 21:56:14

Good article by Joe Klein in today's TIME magazine

Which may be exactly what the Supreme Leader — who is the real power in Iran, with control over the military, the judiciary, foreign policy and the nuclear program — had in mind when, on June 13, he prematurely certified the phantasmic Ahmadinejad landslide. In the days before the election, reformers and principalists — including several Ahmadinejad advisers — told me that negotiations with the U.S. were likely, regardless of who won. "But it might be easier for the Supreme Leader to proceed if the tough guy is re-elected than if Mousavi is," said Mohebbian, the prominent principalist. "The negotiating team will be jointly decided by the Supreme Leader and the President. The Leader, who has great doubts about proceeding, will want a tough bargainer."

In truth, the reformers I spoke with seemed as unyielding as Ahmadinejad, if more politely so, when it came to discussing what Iran would be willing to concede in negotiations with the U.S. They were adamant on Iran's nuclear enrichment program, which is permitted for peaceful purposes under the nuclear nonproliferation treaty. None of them, except Mousavi, was willing to acknowledge that weaponization of uranium might be in the works and therefore be a subject for negotiation. (Mousavi told me that if such a program existed, it would be negotiable, but he didn't say, and may not know, that it actually exists.) The reformers were unanimous in the belief that Barack Obama's conciliatory words were not enough, that the U.S. had to take palpable actions before talks would be possible. I asked each of them what steps Iran was prepared to make for peace. The answer was always the same. "It's natural that the first step should be taken by the Americans," said Karroubi, the most progressive of the four presidential candidates. "We didn't stage a coup against your elected government," he said, referring to the CIA's participation in the 1953 overthrow of the Mohammed Mossadegh government. "We have not frozen your assets. We don't have sanctions against you." (Of all the reformers, only Mousavi seemed to think that Obama's acknowledgment of the 1953 coup in his Cairo speech was a "positive step.")

Frankly, six of one, half dozen of the other...

Has anyone watched the coverage on CNN and FoxNews today?  The latter even brought in Shepherd Smith...Meanwhile, MSNBC put out the "Gone Fishin'" signs and showed crime docs (as usual)...

#48 2009-06-20 22:20:43

orangeplus wrote:

There is a near continuous line of military and paramilitary activity resulting in fatalities stretching from the Himalayas and the Indus river all the way to the Mediterranean sea.

Expect a long hot summer everywhere.  Iran is just the tip of the Iceberg.  A whole buncha shite is about to get shifted worldwide.

Board footer

cruelery.com