#1 2009-06-30 11:28:55

So yeah, get out of last year's election season, and I find myself gainfully unemployed for five months.  Lots of Xbox, fruitless searching for jobs, walks with the dog, what have you.

Then, a pair of jobs fall in my lap.

One is working with/around beer.  Free beer as an employee benefit.  I still have this job.  Doesn't pay for shit, but hey, free beer!

The other job paid the bills.  That's the job I'm about to not have anymore.

Local nonprofit organization, but sucked the teat of the state for 99% of its funding.  State is facing a deficit, as most states do, so our existence is on the brink.

But aren't we worth saving?  I mean, I cut my teeth on legislative affairs.  That's what I do.  I could easily save this whole ten-person operation... if I believed we were even worth saving.

No, I've come to the conclusion we're not, and we're probably going to get shut down.  Hey, if we wanted to be seen as worthwhile, we'd probably do something worthwhile, right?  Yeah, no.

So here we go again, about to be gainfully unemployed for the second time this year.  At least I have my part-part-time job that keeps me nicely sloshed. 

Fuck work.  Fuck jobs.  And most of all, fuck non-profits that puff up their chests to impress the powers that be, all while not performing the services they advertise, and dragging ten employees down with them.

So hello, High Street, how are YOU doing today?

#2 2009-06-30 11:43:07

Welcome to the 21st century.  Innovate.  It ain't easy.  At there is BEER!

#3 2009-06-30 11:53:59

I'm in the process of Innovating.  Unfortunately, my current plan won't come to full fruition for another two years.  Then, I'm seriously cruising on easy street, financially self-sufficient.  Beer is still involved.

Writing a business plan isn't very much fun.  But, it's worth it.  Or, that's what I keep telling myself.

But freaking A, the one time I sit down and formulate a 10-year plan, my one-month plan gets shat on. 

Weeeeeee

Last edited by Wells (2009-06-30 11:54:49)

#4 2009-06-30 11:56:57

Wells wrote:

Well, about like you're doing.

Okay, on that front, you've been doing WAY better than me.

So here we go again, about to be gainfully unemployed for the second time this year.

Second time this year?  Yup, same here.
Bright side:  If the job does die (as opposed to your resigning) you can get unemployment.  Mine's run out.
Wells, let's wish each other luck in finding bill-paying gigs, shall we?

#5 2009-06-30 12:03:33

I know this sucks and I have nothing to offer other than hey, hang in there. Both of you. What happened with Fled?

#6 2009-06-30 12:04:56

Oh, Wells...that totally sucks!

You gotta hit the ground runnin' to find a good job nowadays.

You're smart as hell, though. You'll be okay soon.

#7 2009-06-30 12:08:09

George Orr wrote:

Wells wrote:

Well, about like you're doing.

Okay, on that front, you've been doing WAY better than me.

So here we go again, about to be gainfully unemployed for the second time this year.

Second time this year?  Yup, same here.
Bright side:  If the job does die (as opposed to your resigning) you can get unemployment.  Mine's run out.
Wells, let's wish each other luck in finding bill-paying gigs, shall we?

Not you too! Fuck!

Sorry, Smoochie.

You know you're smart enough to find a new gig.

Don't look on craigslist. Lotta weirdos there.

#8 2009-06-30 12:13:18

Thanks, sofa.

I have a couple-three prospects going this week, so optimism is high.  At the moment.  (And as you can see, they haven't shut off my Internet just yet, so don't pity me too much.  I'm not hungry or cold or anything.)

#9 2009-06-30 12:24:41

The funny thing about unemployment, as I see it:

We get 99% of our funding from the state.  If the state decides we aren't worth giving money to, that we aren't doing anything, our funding gets cut.

Then, we go on unemployment, and the state pays us still, again for not doing anything.

Talk about a Catch-22 for them, right?

#10 2009-06-30 12:26:45

George Orr wrote:

Thanks, sofa.

I have a couple-three prospects going this week, so optimism is high.  At the moment.  (And as you can see, they haven't shut off my Internet just yet, so don't pity me too much.  I'm not hungry or cold or anything.)

I find my optimism correlates with my BAC.  Drunk?  Happy.  Sober?  Pessimist. 

Right now I'm at work, sober, and running out of ways to waste time.  I never thought it would come to this; I mean, how does one run out of ways to waste time?

#11 2009-06-30 12:28:13

George Orr wrote:

Thanks, sofa.

I'm gonna throw an idea to you, based upon something I've been dealing with for awhile.

In my business, I'm too busy to do certain things (insert fucking around on High Street all day joke here).

Seriously, though, I'm usually so busy brokering various loads, and Mr. Sofie drives and shit, we can't do certain things for our business.

Enter my savior, Sandra. She has a business that does different administrative functions for many businesses. I pay her $24 an hour. That might seem like a lot, but she only does about 8 hours of work for me a week. I don't have to pay her benefits, and she's a 1099 consultant. She fills a need for a lot of small businesses that need administrative help, but don't want to hire on another employee. She makes fuckloads of money, and her clients (including me) ADORE her.

I found her on craigslist, which kinda negates what I just said before.

You could almost certainly follow Miss Sandra's business model (at least give it a try - like put an ad up, and see your response).

Also, she has more work than she can handle. All the business owners she deals with try to refer her to their friends, and she's swamped.

#12 2009-06-30 13:18:02

Not to shit on anyone's ambition, but I stopped subscribing to the social norm a while back and it changed my life.

I quit working in July of '07 due to some personal demons.  I dropped all non-essential bills...cable, phone, subscriptions, insurance, let my C-cards go to collection (there's really nothing they can do to you, except report you to the credit companies), and essentially adopted the slacker's lifestyle. 

I sell stuff on ebay, mow a couple of lawns and do odd jobs for people that feel the need to "help me out". I earn a grand or more a month. I love it!  No boss, no obligations, and no expectations from family or friends.  Amazingly, people constantly give me free stuff which I readily accept and either consume or sell on ebay.  I get free meals and groceries from the city or any number of churches in the area, the utility companies have bill assistance programs that allow me to pay only about 40% of my actual bill and local charities pick up the rest. Churches love to shower people like me with "stuff" like free hair-cuts, dining out, nice clothes and pay a bill or two for me. The local university just informed me that I qualify for 100% financial aid, due to my economic status and some new federal program. They also sent me a stack of applications and brochures for more free stuff....clothes, food, even discount gasoline and "rent assistance", even though I own a home. I qualify for both food stamps and welfare, but haven't taken the time to go down and fill out the paperwork....I get all the food I need for free.   

Being poor is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. I have a nice home in a middle class neighborhood, a good reliable car and a ton of friends and family that use my house as a charity drop-box. Old friends drop in a couple of time a week to get me high or drunk. I rediscovered all the free entertainment in the area, from the local library and all their promotional events to the free concerts and movies at the local college. 

It so easy and so liberating. I highly recommend it. Embrace your unemployment. It's the only time you are truly free.

#13 2009-06-30 14:13:53

That is a very interesting idea, sofa, which would never have occurred to me.  I might just look into that.

#14 2009-06-30 16:09:27

George Orr wrote:

That is a very interesting idea, sofa, which would never have occurred to me.  I might just look into that.

Please check yer MahSpaces email. I sent you something muy importante.

#15 2009-06-30 19:11:59

Wells wrote:

The funny thing about unemployment, as I see it:

We get 99% of our funding from the state.  If the state decides we aren't worth giving money to, that we aren't doing anything, our funding gets cut.

Then, we go on unemployment, and the state pays us still, again for not doing anything.

Talk about a Catch-22 for them, right?

Unemployment, while the check is written by the state, is a state mandated insurance funded by employers in that state so it doesn't deplete state money.

My business is having its best ever year. My close people ask me how that is possible in this struggling economy, not to mention the horrid coal market which makes up 90 % of my sales.

Here's how, plain and simple: Beat on doors, make huge promises and work 24/7 to keep them. The 9 to 5 days are done. If you really want a job , there is one for you, you may have to make your own.(See:Sofies Idea)

I was scared to death at the start of this season so I became very aggressive and went miles beyond my normal reach. Result is a 20% increase in sales YTD. These are the times that seperate the lions from the lambs.

I believe I read on here once a saying I tell my employees weekly: " When the meek inherit, the cruel shall dine" It has become my creed. Make it yours.

Last edited by Bigcat (2009-06-30 19:23:19)

#16 2009-06-30 21:38:36

if there is one thing in life that i have become very mercenary about it's being employed (or better put - being paid).

i do IT but, then again, so do literally hundreds of thousands of other people.  and i know lots of them that have been out of work for months or almost years at a time.  i never understood that.

i look at my job as being the only life-line i have (and, hence, the only life line my four children have...but i was this way before they graced me with their presence).  i stopped worrying about the things i "enjoyed" in life a long time ago and started focusing on getting the job.  i figured the rest would come later (it hasn't but that's another story).

here's my unemployment solution for anyone: interview

when i say that i mean constantly interview - whether you have a job or not.  always talk to people if only to turn them down.  really stay on top of your resume and your contacts.  interview at every opportunity.  you'll know when you're doing it right because you start getting lots of calls as people remember you.  caveat: be aware that you could potentially burn a lot of bridges if you don't seriously take some impartial criticism about how you interview.  always get an email address after the interview - always thank them for taking time to speak with you.  sounds like ass-kissing (and it kind of is) but i have landed more jobs than i can count by simple merit of having had followed-up.  try it on for size.

second part: understand your market

you need to be acutely aware of the 'need' for your skill-set in your area.  is it low now?  was it ever high?  will it bounce back?  point is that looking outside your geographical comfort zone - even if it's just for a short time - will afford you the opportunity (by way of being employed elsewhere) to come back to an area you want to be in.  but don't accept that there are 'no jobs'.  accept that there are no jobs where you're looking.  it sucks and it's scary and you may even have to swallow your pride to get where you're going.  but it's worth it.

i afraid that i might come across as sanctimonious but i assure that it's not my intention.  i've been homeless twice in my life (as a child and as a young adult) and i have struggled to make ends meet always.

so, yes, it's okay to say fuck work and fuck bosses and fuck this and fuck that.  just don't fuck yourself.

unless you're into that sort of thing.

in which case don't fuck yourself for free.

#17 2009-06-30 22:13:16

Amen Amen.

First of all, with all due respect to you, Mr. Outthere, I couldn't make it on $1000.00 a month. Mad props to you. Mazel tov. But you do have one thing I really like going, and that's that you adapt to whatever needs to be done when you do go earn money.

The rest of us, we gotta hustle like hell.

#18 2009-06-30 22:22:08

sofaking wrote:

Amen Amen.

First of all, with all due respect to you, Mr. Outthere, I couldn't make it on $1000.00 a month. Mad props to you. Mazel tov. But you do have one thing I really like going, and that's that you adapt to whatever needs to be done when you do go earn money.

The rest of us, we gotta hustle like hell.

That be funny!

#19 2009-06-30 22:22:36

#20 2009-06-30 22:28:28

Take Some Advice:

#21 2009-06-30 23:43:20

Awesome fucking thread, beginning to end. Outhere, I'm right there with you. In fact, I got you beat.

#22 2009-07-01 04:43:17

I suppose this would be a bad thread to point out that I have a kick-ass job that I love, pays me very well, and will be there for the foreseeable future.  I don't have any illusions about deserving it, though (I'm very good at what I do, but luck had a lot to do with it).

Best of luck to those of you who could use a little.

#23 2009-07-01 09:04:13

tojo2000 wrote:

I suppose this would be a bad thread to point out that I have a kick-ass job that I love, pays me very well, and will be there for the foreseeable future.

Yes.

Asshole.

#24 2009-07-02 09:34:51

choad wrote:

Awesome fucking thread, beginning to end. Outhere, I'm right there with you. In fact, I got you beat.

It just goes to show that there are more then one way to get along.

Do you live off the fat of the land? Or do you gather what another man spills?

It now looks like I am old and curmudgeonly enough to start going all crotchety on the young, ambitious,  collateral damaged and evermore actually hungry younguns to say I have lived high in the mansion on the hill and down by the side of the tracks. I can get by either way

I am now in Sofie's position again. In need of contracting various administrative and other technical services for small businesses I have. These businesses will not see increased growth till later in 2010 or 2011 depending on the economy, so I am not looking to bring on additional full time staff. In the meantime I am looking to contract some of the load out.

Too bad I do not live in LV. I would be talking to Sofie about just how good her Administrative assistant is.

#25 2009-07-02 10:52:25

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

choad wrote:

It just goes to show that there are more then one way to get along.

It now looks like I am old and curmudgeonly enough to start going all crotchety on the young, ambitious,  collateral damaged and evermore actually hungry younguns to say I have lived high in the mansion on the hill and down by the side of the tracks. I can get by either way

I am now in Sofie's position again. In need of contracting various administrative and other technical services for small businesses I have. These businesses will not see increased growth till later in 2010 or 2011 depending on the economy, so I am not looking to bring on additional full time staff. In the meantime I am looking to contract some of the load out.

Too bad I do not live in LV. I would be talking to Sofie about just how good her Administrative assistant is.

She saves my ass constantly.

It's like you have a choice. Pay a fucktarded temp agency slightly less (like $17 an hour) for an incompetent person who is only angling to be hired on permanently, and doesn't understand what I need her to do without me wasting the same amount of time teaching her/checking her work, or have Sandra, who has worked in Corporate America for 20 years, and doesn't need explanation for $24 an hour.

It's a no brainer.

#26 2009-07-02 12:09:03

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

[...]I have lived high in the mansion on the hill and down by the side of the tracks. I can get by either way.

I scrounge and me, too.

I've never owned a home or a credit card, never borrowed and have money in the bank but I hit the wall on that this morning. Anymore, I can't even rent a @#$%!!! car without a credit history.

I've got a deal for you. Find me a cheap rental out there and you'll get your demonic dogsbody with mad office skillz. For reals. Call anytime.

#27 2009-07-02 12:25:45

Here are some more reasons my solution works:

I don't have to pay to have somebody complacent who will stretch the work out over days. I know the amount of time needed to complete each task she does, she has many other projects for people to complete, and she wants to get paid. I'm not stuck finding busywork for the temp to do.

She takes the work home with her, so I don't have to hang out with her. I can fax/email her what I need done, or she comes and picks it up, when she picks up a check from me.

If I don't have much work for her to do, I don't have to pay for it. If I have a lot of work for her to do, I know pretty much what it's gonna cost me upfront.

It's the wave of the fucking future.

#28 2009-07-02 12:46:08

choad wrote:

I scrounge and me, too.

I've never owned a home or a credit card, never borrowed and have money in the bank but I hit the wall on that this morning. Anymore, I can't even rent a @#$%!!! car without a credit history.

I've got a deal for you. Find me a cheap rental out there and you'll get your demonic dogsbody with mad office skillz. For reals. Call anytime.

Heh,

Frickin car rental companies are the worst. When I cut up my CCs after splitting with my ex I found I could not use the rental car companies I had been using, like Enterprise.

Turns out that Alamo does not require a CC. You may need a debit card though.

As it turns out, here in one of the most highly priced rental markets in the world, the economy has left thousands without occupancy. I may well be able to find you a cheap rental. That is if you can tolerate the summer influx of swells and La-di-das from NYC. I was hoping to head for the hills of VT where the living is easy in the summer. Or at least cheaper all around.

#29 2009-07-02 15:14:17

I often catch shit for my lifestyle, and some people have a hard time understanding, but it works for me and many others, as I have learned.
   The foundation of my lifestyle is simply not worrying about stuff.  People constantly ask me “what if?”…as in “what if you get in an accident?”, “what if your house burns down?”, “what if you get sick?”.  I don’t know what I would do, but what I don’t understand is why people think like that.  They are all frantic and panicky.  They seem desperate and worried all the time.  I just don’t worry about it. Shit happens, and I’m not afraid.
   I just want people to know that there is another way to live, and it’s OK.  I have no stress and plenty of free time. I promote this lifestyle to anyone who is willing to listen. It’s wonderful, but it’s not for everyone.  You do have to make sacrifices, but it all depends on what is important to you. The biggest hurdle is being confronted and berated by “regular folks” when you tell them you don’t have a credit card or phone or when neocons blame you for “destroying America”. One soccer mom recently accused me “putting my kids life in danger” because they don’t have their own personal cell phones. I see this type of thinking all over the place and I think it is a product of the constant fear mongering that our society is bombarded with.
   One thing that influenced my escape from the rat race was when my father died and one of my brothers didn’t come prior to the funeral because he “had to” work.  The rest of my family accepted that excuse, but I was disgusted by it.  I was disgusted by their attitude that work was more important than their father’s death and that my brother’s fear of his boss controlled his life, his morals, his ambition and his very purpose for living. I never wanted to be like that, and began that very day to eliminate the things in my life that I felt enslaved me.
   Just as some people would wish Wells success in his business ambitions, I wish for him an end to the stress and worry, and I hope he finds peace, fulfillment and contentment.

I have never heard anyone laying on their death bed saying: “I wish I would have worked more.”

BTW - Choad, I can get you a running car for about $400, guaranteed to last at least a couple of weeks or a couple hundred miles, then any junk yard would buy it for a couple hundred.

#30 2009-07-02 15:38:33

outthere wrote:

I have never heard anyone laying on their death bed saying: “I wish I would have worked more.”

Yes, because all the people saying that are in the Third World, dying of malaria/starvation.

You're (I assume) a white male living in the wealthiest nation in the world.

Carpe diem. Or don't.

#31 2009-07-02 15:51:10

outhere wrote:

BTW - Choad, I can get you a running car for about $400, guaranteed to last at least a couple of weeks or a couple hundred miles, then any junk yard would buy it for a couple hundred.

Johnny_Rotten is right. Enterprise sucks balls. My next door neighbor is getting the $200 I'd have paid them. I'm a better than average driveway mechanic but loathe the expense. Also, I have "stupid cow" issues and more often than not, not a happy motorist. I live in a beautiful place. Who needs the stress?

Outhere, the most surprising thing about your account is your family's apparent acceptance. I live a happy and productive life. I contribute. They won't put my name on shit when I croak but only because it's already there.

Except for Frank Thorne, my family have disowned me. I'm a commie nogoodnik, only worse.

#32 2009-07-02 16:26:48

sofaking wrote:

You're (I assume) a white male living in the wealthiest nation in the world.

Yes... here I don't have to worry about food, health care, education or tribal warlords raping my daughters...makes things easy.

choad wrote:

Outhere, the most surprising thing about your account is your family's apparent acceptance.

Not as accepting as you may think... but as time goes by they are slowly realizing that it's not such a bad way of life.

#33 2009-07-02 18:23:13

icangetyouatoe wrote:

I know this sucks and I have nothing to offer other than hey, hang in there. Both of you. What happened with Fled?

No pay for work since jesus b-day.  I lived off a pretty nice severance for six months but that well recently ran dry.  I've done some fun stuff as a volunteer but just because it was stuff I wanted to do.  I'm limping along, looking for a paying job but wondering if there is much point in jumping back in the white collar world.  The legal business is just too tedious, and I may have lost my mojo for the game.  Not that anyone should cry for an instant, but there are a hell of a lot of lawyers out of work in the DC area now.  I thought about opening up my own consulting business but that would take a lot of marketing, which is not something I relish.  There is a lot of appeal in just getting off the grid.

#34 2009-07-02 19:08:44

Fled wrote:

I thought about opening up my own consulting business but that would take a lot of marketing, which is not something I relish.  There is a lot of appeal in just getting off the grid.

Just remember, there are many among us with marketing smarts if you need a hand.

#36 2009-07-03 05:32:43

Thanks, Karen.  I will keep that in mind.

#37 2009-07-03 05:37:34

First step: do you have a LinkedIn profile? It's like facebook for professionals. I'm a bit jaded on the social networking thing, but I've seen that it can have good results. Of course, it goes without saying that your resume should be up-to-date. Actually, I'm liking CV's these days, as they allow for moar self-aggrandizing goodness (trying to fit one's career on a single page is bullocks). You should also have someone with mad copywriting skillz (hint, hint) take a look at said document to see if your verbiage can be massaged in any way.

You'd be surprised how many folks overlook the basics.

#38 2009-07-03 18:03:38

karenw wrote:

First step: do you have a LinkedIn profile? It's like facebook for professionals. I'm a bit jaded on the social networking thing, but I've seen that it can have good results. Of course, it goes without saying that your resume should be up-to-date. Actually, I'm liking CV's these days, as they allow for moar self-aggrandizing goodness (trying to fit one's career on a single page is bullocks). You should also have someone with mad copywriting skillz (hint, hint) take a look at said document to see if your verbiage can be massaged in any way.

You'd be surprised how many folks overlook the basics.

Hmm, I like having many eyes look over my resume and marketing verbage. As George can attest, it sorely needs it. Give me an email if interested Karen.

#39 2009-07-06 22:12:18

Hmm, I like having many eyes look over my resume and marketing verbage. As George can attest, it sorely needs it. Give me an email if interested Karen.

Check your H-S messages. I don't have your email addy.

Last edited by karenw (2009-07-06 22:12:34)

#40 2009-07-07 18:02:18

Wells, it's good to hear from you.   I admire your ethical take on the non-performance of the non-profit, but I'm sorry you have to take the bite for it.  Enjoy the beer and don't let your ethics starve you out.

Fled, I didn't realize you were in the DC area.  What type of law practice?

#41 2009-07-08 23:51:13

Laid off this morning, effective end of the week.  Decided to get a little shitty for no good reason tonight.  WOO-HOO

#42 2009-07-08 23:55:51

Wells wrote:

Laid off this morning, effective end of the week.  Decided to get a little shitty for no good reason tonight.  WOO-HOO

Sounds like a good reason to me.

#43 2009-07-09 00:01:57

Not just me laid off; whole damn operation shut down.  I'm... conflicted.

#44 2009-07-09 00:06:56

Wells wrote:

I'm in the process of Innovating.  Unfortunately, my current plan won't come to full fruition for another two years.  Then, I'm seriously cruising on easy street, financially self-sufficient.  Beer is still involved.

Growing hops?

Board footer

cruelery.com