#1 2010-02-02 13:20:33

https://cruelery.com/uploads/18_500x_poster2.jpg

The rest of you, stay out; nothing to see here.

While you're waiting for 9:00 pm/8:00 Central, you can print out these LOST Bingo cards.  (Can also be used for drinking games!)

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#2 2010-02-02 13:24:02

George's darker, nefarious side reveals itself. Who knew?

#3 2010-02-02 14:02:26

I've just been watching it on hulu. I'm still working through season 2--does it get better? It looks like it's going off the rails.

#4 2010-02-02 14:16:08

ah297900 wrote:

I'm still working through season 2--does it get better? It looks like it's going off the rails.

Oh, fuck yeah.  It gets better.
S2 was the worst--the creators had a hit on their hands and did not know at that point how long they'd have to stretch the story out.  S3 is a little better.  With S4, they'd made a deal with ABC and knew exactly how many episodes they had left to write to wrap up the story.  S4 will knock your socks off and S5 is even better

#5 2010-02-02 15:20:21

High-Street has officially hit rock bottom.

#6 2010-02-02 15:35:52

It says right in the title, "For LOST Fans."  You don't watch it?  Make a non-LOST-watcher thread for yourself and all your non-watching friends.

Besides, we hit rock bottom long ago, with the Cat Thread.  I contribute to that thread regularly.  It's nice and comfy down here.

#7 2010-02-02 15:57:35

I watched the first 2 seasons via Netflix(tm).  I decided against going any further, due to the abysmal writing.  Though some of it was quite clever and engaging, the constant resorting to violence in everyday conversations was off-putting.  Seriously George, how many times have you kneed, pistol whipped, sucker punched your friends/mate over any disagreement?  Yeah Yeah, dramatic license.  BS.

#8 2010-02-02 16:20:15

As Georgi knows, I will be planted in front of the tube tonight.  I got hooked in season 3 and had to go back to bring myself up to speed.  I believe the attraction is in the creativity used to develop the story line and the characters.  The writers have no bounds and they don't worry about protecting popular characters.  It's a little like the Sopranos in that you never know who will get snuffed.  When the mercenary shot Ben's daughter Alex, I was sure he was faking it to trick Ben.  But no, he shot a sympathetic young girl in the head and she's dead. 

The writers have a good deal of respect for the intellect of the audience.  They don't feel the need to immediately fill in all the gaps.  Sometimes they do, but it can be via a flashback that provides the motive, or it can come a year or more later from the perspective of another character.  Yes, it does have its share of soap opera, but overall it is a truly unique piece of work.

#9 2010-02-02 17:21:27

The characters in "Lost", apparently, are very well read.

#10 2010-02-02 17:31:53

Taint wrote:

The characters in "Lost", apparently, are very well read.

Everything Abrams let's you see has some significance to the story.

#11 2010-02-02 19:17:56

Ill be there. The only question will be: Russian Imperial Stout served cool or Krypto served at 400 degrees?

#12 2010-02-02 21:15:52

It was all Jack on an acid trip.  The End.

#13 2010-02-02 22:13:30

I'm thinking that Walt is fabricating this as some sort of response to trauma, or that this is some kind of purgatory. Purgatory makes more sense, considering the emphasis placed on the sins of the individuals during life. This also makes sense given that the survivors have no bodily injuries. The "non-survivors" could be those on the plane that immediately went to heaven or hell. That's another series.

Alternatively, Abrams could have no fucking plan whatsoever.

Last edited by ah297900 (2010-02-02 22:17:12)

#14 2010-02-02 23:23:38

fortinbras wrote:

It was all Jack on an acid trip.  The End.

ah297900 wrote:

I'm thinking that Walt is fabricating this as some sort of response to trauma, or that this is some kind of purgatory. Purgatory makes more sense, considering the emphasis placed on the sins of the individuals during life. This also makes sense given that the survivors have no bodily injuries. The "non-survivors" could be those on the plane that immediately went to heaven or hell. That's another series.
Alternatively, Abrams could have no fucking plan whatsoever.

The creators/producers have promised repeatedly that the solution is not dream/hallucination and not afterlife/purgatory.

My brain started melting about 18 minutes in.  I'm pretty sure there are now only two timelines, but it may turn out to be three.

I swore at the teevee steadily; that's the sign of a great episode.  I will likely have John Locke "I want to go home" nightmares tonight.

#15 2010-02-02 23:41:26

Oh, and since two of you have thrown your stupid theories into the ring, here's my stupid theory:  The island is an ancient spacecraft.  It crashed in the ocean eons ago and a coral reef grew on it and birds shat seeds onto it, etc. and it became the island. 

This idea came to me when Ben went underground to the "Frozen Donkey Wheel" and "moved" the island (and he fucked it up, naturally, and the wheel didn't lock into place, which caused the island and our characters to skip and jump around in time and get nosebleeds and stumble across atomic bombs until Locke went down and fixed it) and the odd side effect that fiddling with the wheel transports you to (apparently) Tunisia. 

So far a lot of things fit my theory...the whole electromagnetic dealy with Swan Station and possibly Orchid Station, and several remarks by Pierre Chang about "pockets of extraordinary energy;" the Smoke Monster, including the vague idea that it's part of a "security system;" and, tonight, that "spring" of miraculous healing water (also, obvs, where Ben was taken in his childhood when he was mortally wounded).

I realized last year that when this is all over, I am going to have to get the DVDs and watch the entire fucking thing again with the conclusion in mind.  I think of things like Sayid interrogating Ben when Ben was first captured, and Widmore's interactions with Desmond, and a half-dozen other plotlines which will be entirely different viewing knowing what I know now.

Phreddy is spot-on.  This show is a unique event in television storytelling.

#16 2010-02-03 08:27:29

Yay, Georgie, thanks for this.

I like your theory about a space craft -- what of the Egyptian-type drawings and statues? The Ankhs?

It's early; I'm not coherent. I really dug last night's episode, though. I love Terry O'Quinn's "Stepfather" face. (My husband turned to me when he said "I want to go home" and asked, "was that a Stepfather face?" and I said, "No, I've never seen THAT look before." Man oh man, he's good.)

Last edited by Cherry Vanilla (2010-02-03 08:28:36)

#17 2010-02-03 10:39:54

You know, I was also thinking of the spacecraft theory. Especially once you get that weird underwater scene where you find the whole island sunk and growing coral. No reason to think that it's tethered to the bottom.

But after the whole Joshua / Locke thing, I am guessing that they will pull some "ancient battle between good and evil" stuff with two minor gods (who can't kill each other) setting up a "bet" about the true nature of man. Or maybe I have just been reading too much Etruscan and proto-Roman history which is full of minor gods making bets about man's nature and being exiled and given strange tasks.

The ankh and references to Egyptian mythology (including some really horrible examples of hieroglyphics, right out of a grade school textbook) could go either way.

Favorite new, unexplainable character: The crazy samurai.

#18 2010-02-03 12:33:52

GooberMcNutly wrote:

But after the whole Joshua / Locke thing, I am guessing that they will pull some "ancient battle between good and evil" stuff with two minor gods (who can't kill each other) setting up a "bet" about the true nature of man. Or maybe I have just been reading too much Etruscan and proto-Roman history which is full of minor gods making bets about man's nature and being exiled and given strange tasks.

This seems pretty feasible. And somehow disappointing.

(I hope you mean Jacob, not Joshua, or else I'm more confused than I ever thought.)

#19 2010-02-03 13:15:33

Cherry Vanilla wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

This seems pretty feasible. And somehow disappointing.

I hope everybody here realizes that, no matter what the ending is, it will be disappointing. The kind of life-changing mindfuck that has to happen to live up to five years of anticipation is not narratively possible.

#20 2010-02-03 13:46:23

ah297900 wrote:

I hope everybody here realizes that, no matter what the ending is, it will be disappointing. The kind of life-changing mindfuck that has to happen to live up to five years of anticipation is not narratively possible.

I expect you're right about that.  But I don't want no gods.  It's okay if they are beings who've been mistaken for gods by primitive human beings (I know all that Egyptian decor isn't for nothing) but all the dead people wandering around (like Christian) do make me kinda nervous about that being the answer.

I think what I'd actually like best is if Jacob/Esau turns out to be one entity--an antediluvian extraterrestrial AI arguing with itself.

In case anyone is interested, here is an essay/recap from Pajiba.  I've linked it mainly because of the first two paragraphs, which seem relevant to our own blather on the topic.

Last edited by George Orr (2010-02-03 13:47:29)

#21 2010-02-03 15:05:24

I agree with Georgi about the possibility this is an ancient space ship and the two occupants are just real tired of listening to one another's shit.

To Georgi's reasons I will add the statement by the smoke monster entity currently using Locke's body that all he wants to do is go home.

#22 2010-02-04 09:36:03

CV, yeah, I meant Jacob.

I am sticking with the religion angle. Think of the monster being blocked by some kind of magic dust circle and all of the obvious imagery.

I think that the worst possible ending would be some take on Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge type thing where Jack (or Kate or maybe Hurley) wakes up from a coma or something. You know, take the soap opera easy way out.

And I still think that's the shittiest nuclear bomb I have ever seen. Doesn't even kill someone 2 feet away from it. I would ask for my money back on that one.

#23 2010-02-09 19:02:55

https://cruelery.com/uploads/18_bump.jpg

Happy Tuesday night.

#24 2010-02-09 19:21:40

Still on season 2. Am I going to get to see Sun's tits or what?

And does Claire (as Charlie would say, "Claaaaahhhhh") ever stop bitching about the "Baybay"?

Maybe this is a hallucination someone's having on the plane to deal with that fucking baby and that fucking accent.

Do we see Claire's tits either?

#25 2010-02-09 19:33:10

As of today:
No tits
No Claire
No Charley

The baybay is with Grandma (She's not bad looking herself, but no tits there either).

#26 2010-02-09 20:02:36

ah297900 wrote:

Nope.

I forget--how many regular characters are dead by this point (Season 2)?

Did you know that the creators' original plan for Jack Shepherd was for viewers to see the opening episode (the two-hour pilot) from his POV and then have him die at the end?  The network talked them out of it...but would that not have been cool?  Imagine a LOST without Whiny Hamlet Dickless Little Bitch Jack.

#27 2010-02-09 20:05:59

George Orr wrote:

ah297900 wrote:

Nope.

I forget--how many regular characters are dead by this point (Season 2)?

Did you know that the creators' original plan for Jack Shepherd was for viewers to see the opening episode (the two-hour pilot) from his POV and then have him die at the end?  The network talked them out of it...but would that not have been cool?  Imagine a LOST without Whiny Hamlet Dickless Little Bitch Jack.

Only deaths are Shannon and that pretty Twilight-looking kid brother of hers. I'm fine with ditching them.

I still like Jack at this point in the series, although he's kind of being a dick to Locke for no good reason. It's clearly counter-productive to order him around. They just caught that dude who's an Other (is it a coincidence that they talk about Others all the time and one of the characters is Sayid--like Edward Said?).

Oh, and Mr. Eko is my new hero. After seeing him on Oz for so long, though, I'm still expecting him to rape something whenever he has a scene.

#28 2010-02-09 20:45:18

ah297900 wrote:

They just caught that dude who's an Other

Keep an eye on that fish-eyed little bastard.

(is it a coincidence that they talk about Others all the time and one of the characters is Sayid--like Edward Said?).

I had never heard of the guy and had to look him up.  But I'm not surprised since philosophers' names pop up everywhere in LOST.

Oh, and Mr. Eko is my new hero.

Don't get too attached, hon.

#29 2010-02-09 21:41:16

I just saw the episode where Bernard proposed to Rose--I'm back in for at least another season.

#30 2010-02-09 22:11:19

ah297900 wrote:

(is it a coincidence that they talk about Others all the time and one of the characters is Sayid--like Edward Said?).

George Orr wrote:

I had never heard of the guy and had to look him up.  But I'm not surprised since philosophers' names pop up everywhere in LOST.

Shit, for that matter, Mr. Eko could be a reference to Umberto Eco. Or did I just blow your fucking mind?????

#31 2010-02-09 22:52:31

My mind is not as blown this week as it was last.

But I am having trouble figuring out which side to root for...and who is on which side...and how many sides there are...

https://cruelery.com/uploads/18_2010-02-03-a-pentagrams-loins.jpg

(http://hijinksensue.com/  Because I feel kinda bad about lifting the guy's work and not linking to it)

#32 2010-02-10 11:36:06

I'm getting a little fed up with the plot holes created by bogus motivations.  For instance.  Sayid is drowned by the new Others.  Less than a minute later Jack, a doctor, starts CPR but gives up after 30 seconds because his ex-girlfriend convinces him Sayid is dead.  Why do they believe he is dead and beyond resuscitation?  Because the guys who drowned him told them so.  Then Sayid comes to life and everyone is surprised.  In the real world, Jack would have a big lawsuit on his hands.

Also, why would everyone agree to suicide by nuclear bomb, expecially Sawyer and Juliet who were in love in that timeline but would never meet in the alternate one they were returning to?  None of them had a decent life before the plane went down, especially Juliet who was stuck on the island with Ben.  Yet she is the one who detonates the bomb.  I call bullshit on all this.

But I'm still hooked.

#33 2010-02-11 09:17:57

I'm getting more disappointed in our crazy Samurai. He had the opportunity last week to be another creepy unexplained phenomenon, but last night they just turned him into some kind of less scary Benjamin Linus with facial hair. Sayed couldn't have been surprised by anything on the torture table, he should have seen that coming. Yet he didn't appear to fight being tied down and have straps put on him.

I just knew that Sawyer would cry at some point in the series. He has to be positioning himself for the end of the series and you can't spend your life selling jeans and men's fragrance.

But other than that and seeing Clair at the end (Does she become Russo?), what happened other than a bunch of circular dialog and chilling around the miracle pool?

#34 2010-02-11 19:32:02

phreddy wrote:

But I'm still hooked.

Yeah, I agree with the things you said...  You'd figure a fucking surgeon wouldn't give up so easily, but there you go. 

And I'm hopelessly stuck on Lost too.  It is written with crack.

#35 2010-02-12 12:56:43

Jack and Claaaahhh are brother and sister, like Luke and Leia???!??!!?

http://appliedgeekery.com/onoz_omg2.gif

Last edited by ah297900 (2010-02-12 13:02:18)

#36 2010-02-12 13:01:14

ah297900 wrote:

http://www.creepygif.com/images/full/343.gif

1.  Your gif is not working.  You lose two Internets for hotlinking.

2.  If you're not caught up on the series, stop jumping ahead to what's currently going on.  Things are already confusing enough; if you skip ahead you risk brain damage.  Call in sick and load up your DVD player and get caught up already.

3.  Yes, Claire is Jack's half-sister.  Jack's dad didn't go all the way to Australia just to drink himself to death in a pleasant setting.

#37 2010-02-12 13:04:48

George Orr wrote:

ah297900 wrote:

http://www.creepygif.com/images/full/343.gif

1.  Your gif is not working.  You lose two Internets for hotlinking.

I haven't the time to upload things. I do not view teh internets as a competitive game, rather as a means of efficient masturbation.

2.  If you're not caught up on the series, stop jumping ahead to what's currently going on.  Things are already confusing enough; if you skip ahead you risk brain damage.  Call in sick and load up your DVD player and get caught up already.

I'm watching seasons 1-5 on hulu. They're all there until the end of the calendar year.

3.  Yes, Claire is Jack's half-sister.  Jack's dad didn't go all the way to Australia just to drink himself to death in a pleasant setting.

No place where people talk like that can be considered pleasant.

#38 2010-02-12 22:06:59

I quit watching in Season 2 and have no interest in watching Lost again. However, I do find fans' responses to be entertaining. And just to show how much I love you, Georgie, I give you these:

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/430_lost.jpg

#39 2010-02-14 23:17:23

George Orr wrote:

You were right. I've been slamming through 3-4 episodes a day and I'm about halfway through season 4. I think each episode was designed to be digested in a week. This is like being high and watching Memento, but it seems to be getting better. I had to turn to lostpedia to keep track.

The good news is that Charlie's dead and Claire seems to have shut up, thus removing the two most grating actors from the series.

#40 2010-02-14 23:27:17

karenw wrote:

I quit watching in Season 2 and have no interest in watching Lost again. However, I do find fans' responses to be entertaining. And just to show how much I love you, Georgie, I give you these:

I love those!  Thanks.

#41 2010-02-14 23:35:07

Oh, and when you watch them consecutively, you realize that Kate gets captured or taken hostage literally every second episode--considering she's "the runner," she kind of sucks at her persona.

You also realize that her only acting move is that look-over-the-shoulder-with-empathetic-concern, furrowed brow, and a smile/grimace that says "aw, buck up, bud." I can't find a screencapture, but you may know the look I'm talking about.

#42 2010-02-17 14:41:06

I hate to admit that a lot of this is pretty accurate.  But some of the commenters are downright mean...

#43 2010-02-17 14:43:58

And for those of you who, like me, wanted to spend an hour or so scrutinizing those scratches in the cave:  somebody already did that for us.

#44 2010-02-17 15:18:56

I'm getting caught up; only half of season 5 to go.

I'm starting to suspect that something funny is going on with this island they keep mentioning.

#45 2010-02-17 21:17:21

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/430_thing.gif

#46 2010-02-19 13:10:51

George Orr wrote:

I hate to admit that a lot of this is pretty accurate.  But some of the commenters are downright mean...

I think it is accurate for any fan of any show George. 

You watch a show because it intrigues you, it's just that one shouldn't get carried away.   I'd also say if you don't get the show, don't be a dick about it, because chances are, the show you love is shit too.

#47 2010-02-20 17:07:37

The best part about Lost is when the characters travel through time, and then are approached by someone else from the future, and steadfastly refuse to believe them.

That, and refusing to tell people things or cooperate for any discernible reason. If I were stranded on a normal island, I would be one team-fucking-player.

#48 2010-02-20 17:36:22

ah297900 wrote:

That, and refusing to tell people things or cooperate for any discernible reason.

The failure of any character to ask important follow-up questions has been irking the shit out of me for 5+ years now. 

Terry O'Quinn, in a recent interview, has stated that upcoming episodes feature whole paragraphs of Locke/NotLocke answering questions and explaining shit.  If this turns out to be untrue I think I will cry.

#49 2010-02-20 17:58:10

I just saw an episode from the end of season five, where the Chinese guy that can't pronounce the word "pearl" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ye8e-V32M -- he says "puwww") is explaining to someone how they're digging a hole that will let them travel in time. He turns around and immediately sees Daniel, who says, "I'm from the future, and this is a bad idea." Of course, he doesn't believe him.

This makes no sense: "I'm making a time machine."
"Hey, I'm from the future."
"That's INSANE."

#50 2010-02-20 20:57:08

ah297900 wrote:

The best part about Lost is when the characters travel through time, and then are approached by someone else from the future, and steadfastly refuse to believe them.

The frequency with which the characters will alternate between:
A) Charging off into the jungle on a "hunch" without a shred of evidence and
B) Steadfastly refusing to believe irrefutable proof right in front of their eyes
has always amazed me.

And nobody has explained to me how Linus used to be able to go back and forth between the island and the rest of world in the early episodes but is spending all of the last season or two trying to get on or off the island.

Board footer

cruelery.com