#2 2010-11-10 16:25:59

I hope to achieve this by appealing to the better nature of pedosexuals, with hope that their doing so will result in less hatred and perhaps liter sentences should they ever be caught.

He can't even spelling "lighter" correctly. Hang him, I say.

#3 2010-11-10 16:26:40

So, Sophie, what brings you by this neck of the woods? You missed Headkick who made a quick run through yesterday.

#4 2010-11-10 17:44:15

I’m amazed at how many people are calling for censorship and threatening to boycott Amazon.  Amazon sells a lot of books I find offensive (Bush Jr.’s new book comes to mind), but I would never consider boycotting them because they carry books that don’t appeal to me.  One reviewer pointed out the controversy will increase sales of this book and overall will generate additional sales that wouldn’t have happened if people hadn’t looked at Amazon’s site.

#5 2010-11-10 19:37:28

I'm not talking to you.  You abandoned us for Facebook.

*crosses arms; turns back*

#6 2010-11-10 20:12:34

George Orr wrote:

I'm not talking to you.  You abandoned us for Facebook.

*crosses arms; turns back*

*dies laughing*

((hugs))

#7 2010-11-10 20:32:45

Can anyone recommend a book about the American Revolution, with lots of politics, that is not unbearably dull to read? My student wants that type of novel as his next read and I'm hesitant to choose one at random from Amazon.

#8 2010-11-10 21:22:06

fnord wrote:

I’m amazed at how many people are calling for censorship and threatening to boycott Amazon.  Amazon sells a lot of books I find offensive (Bush Jr.’s new book comes to mind), but I would never consider boycotting them because they carry books that don’t appeal to me.  One reviewer pointed out the controversy will increase sales of this book and overall will generate additional sales that wouldn’t have happened if people hadn’t looked at Amazon’s site.

I'm not sure that "Free speech" actually covers the right to sell instructions on how to physically rape and torture young children, in fact I think that is the one thing that isn't protected.

#10 2010-11-10 22:11:45

sofaking wrote:

*dies laughing*

Howdy sofaking.

#11 2010-11-10 22:44:48

sic

Tall Paul wrote:

Can anyone recommend a book about the American Revolution, with lots of politics, that is not unbearably dull to read? My student wants that type of novel as his next read and I'm hesitant to choose one at random from Amazon.

Revolutionaries by Jack Rakove

#12 2010-11-10 23:19:58

See, I told you this would happen!  Many years ago, a health food store I patronized stocked a book by a whacko little press that claimed AIDS would jump on anybody who got near gay people, along with TB, leprosy, smallpox, polio, yellow fever, and every other horrible disease known to man.  I almost went to the newspaper to organize a boycott of the store, until an older and wiser friend pointed out sales of this horrible little tome would skyrocket if I said anything.  I listened, Fucked Up Press went under, and any existing copies of this book are boxed in garages or gathering dust in thrift stores.  Had I not listened, sales of this book would have been off the chart, and Fucked Up Press would still be in business, churning out any number of equally horrible titles.

#13 2010-11-11 03:45:41

sic wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

Revolutionaries by Jack Rakove

Thanks!  I've been eating too much hard sci-fi recently.  I only recently read "Battle Cry of Freedom", and really enjoyed it.  That said, the reviewer did kind of ruin the ending...

My thought was to end this review of a sturdy book on an upbeat note. But then I remembered how Mr. Rakove ends “Revolutionaries,” with an impossibly wet sentence that, after you’ve slogged through more than 400 pages, is a bit like a slap in the face. Here it is: “How these unlikely provincial revolutionaries discovered the talents they did remains an enduring puzzle of our history, easier to ponder than finally to explain, yet one ever worth exploring.”

400 pages just to troll everyone with the last sentence.  I'd have enjoyed that surprise.

#14 2010-11-11 05:45:09

Thanks, it does sound interesting but I'm still looking for a novel rather than a history.

#15 2010-11-11 06:03:06

I forgot to blow Sofie a kiss!  Long time girl, have you finally abandoned us for a better class of people?

#16 2010-11-11 06:57:05

opsec wrote:

I forgot to blow Sofie a kiss!  Long time girl, have you finally abandoned us for a better class of people?

Which means . . . she could have gone just about anywhere?

Hi Sofie.  We could use a little more of your time here, not to grovel or anything.

#17 2010-11-11 07:29:02

Re: the book - I heard somewhere that it was a 4chan stunt.

#18 2010-11-11 11:13:47

opsec wrote:

No, love. I expanded my business with a new website and advertising, and don't have enough staff to do my job for me anymore! I have to actually work. It keeps me out of trouble.

#19 2010-11-11 11:15:14

MSG Tripps wrote:

sofaking wrote:

*dies laughing*

Howdy sofaking.

*salutes*

#20 2010-11-11 11:26:35

jennifer government wrote:

Re: the book - I heard somewhere that it was a 4chan stunt.

Holy shiite!  Speak of blasts from the past...

Board footer

cruelery.com