#1 2011-03-12 08:06:55

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/short-spacer.gifhttps://cruelery.com/sidepic/homerdisaster.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#2 2011-03-12 10:37:13

Used Cars Flood Market

http://betacache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/7/2011/03/xlarge_0312_japan7.jpg

#3 2011-03-12 12:43:56

Oh, lookie.. we haz new fenc.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/03/12/world/asia/20110312_JAPAN-slide-RM7L/20110312_JAPAN-slide-RM7L-jumbo.jpg

#4 2011-03-12 17:32:55

#5 2011-03-12 18:30:30

Godzilla!

Edit: Christ on a bicycle.  I apologize for joking.

Last edited by sigmoid freud (2011-03-12 23:42:54)

#6 2011-03-12 22:27:38

Edit: video is available in 720.  Godzilla would have taken weeks to accomplish this.

Last edited by opsec (2011-03-12 22:29:14)

#7 2011-03-12 23:01:12

FUCK YEAH ENGINEERS

Last edited by George Orr (2011-03-12 23:02:13)

#8 2011-03-12 23:18:40

So... this is a worry.  Anyone want to host a family from Oregon for a couple of a weeks?

#9 2011-03-12 23:32:23

Sorry, if this is real, Partner™ and I will be among the hordes of refugees heading East.

#10 2011-03-12 23:32:23

Wow, and you think Fox News is bad.

First of all, Australian Radiation Services has nothing to do with this piece of fiction.  Secondly, kindly use rems or sieverts.

Edit: to add  http://ny-popculture-politics.blogspot. … t-map.html

Last edited by opsec (2011-03-12 23:38:38)

#11 2011-03-13 01:36:11

Thanx Opie... The Sky Is Falling! The Sky Is Falling!

#12 2011-03-13 03:24:50

Dmtdust wrote:

Thanx Opie... The Sky Is Falling! The Sky Is Falling!

The ancient Zhou blessing/curse being "may you live in interesting times". 

It's interesting, the Japanese respond rationally to a situation that would have Americans lined up to blame whoever their political opposition was.

#13 2011-03-13 04:26:51

Now a second reactor has lost coolant pumps, and has been filled with seawater. Goody!

#14 2011-03-13 04:43:38

sigmoid freud wrote:

Godzilla!

Edit: Christ on a bicycle.  I apologize for joking.

https://cruelery.com/img/godzilla.jpg

Doh!

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#15 2011-03-13 12:01:01

opsec wrote:

It's interesting, the Japanese respond rationally to a situation that would have Americans lined up to blame whoever their political opposition was.

Ooh, I like that idea for a Jump to Conclusions type game;  whenever a natural disaster strikes the object of the game is to write up "spin" from both sides as to who on the other side is to blame.

Democrats:  Evil corporations and their thirst for greed and power have cause this tsunami from overfishing and angering mother nature.

Republicans:  God is lashing out at the evil human population and/or this is karmic retribution for Pearl Harbor.

Obviously I am not as good at this as some of you would be and I realize that the Pearl Harbor one is a current FB and internet meme.

#17 2011-03-13 16:19:03

A bit of perspective on the reactor situation by Dr. Josef Oehmen from MIT.

#18 2011-03-13 16:44:41

opsec wrote:

The main research interest of Dr. Josef Oehmen is risk management in the value chain, with a special focus on lean product development.

Sure enough, works for me.

#19 2011-03-13 16:45:27

opsec wrote:

Thank you for posting that.  I learned a lot (and mostly painlessly, although my fingers itch for a red pencil). 

I shall forward it to any friends or family who get overly frightened by the middle-schoolgirl-level hysteria we're getting from CNN et al.

#20 2011-03-13 16:52:42

MSG Tripps wrote:

The main research interest of Dr. Josef Oehmen is risk management in the value chain, with a special focus on lean product development.

Sure enough, works for me.

Granted, his expertise is 2nd hand.  The article states that his father worked extensively in the German nuclear industry.

That said, his explanation is far more comprehensive than most of the hysteria I'm hearing.

#21 2011-03-13 17:33:18

opsec wrote:

[
Granted, his expertise is 2nd hand.  The article states that his father worked extensively in the German nuclear industry.

That said, his explanation is far more comprehensive than most of the hysteria I'm hearing.

It's no sweat.
I haven't figured this completely out yet.  I once trained to be a NBC NCO; this is not within the scope of my ancient training.

#22 2011-03-13 19:11:13

Then, of course, there's all of our compassionate fellow Amerikans....

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/4803/66690720.jpg

#23 2011-03-13 19:22:50

I think the earthquake in Japan was done by the Pentago.

DoD News Briefing: Secretary of Defense William S. CohenApril 28, 1997
. Alvin Toeffler has written about this in terms of some scientists in their laboratories trying to devise certain types of pathogens that would be ethnic specific so that they could just eliminate certain ethnic groups and races; and others are designing some sort of engineering, some sort of insects that can destroy specific crops. Others are engaging even in an eco- type of terrorism whereby they can alter the climate, set off earthquakes, volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves.

So there are plenty of ingenious minds out there that are at work finding ways in which they can wreak terror upon other nations. It's real, and that's the reason why we have to intensify our efforts, and that's why this is so important.

http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/ … riptid=674

The purpose is to create a public panic on nuclear pullution that will justify the coming slaughter of "nuclear terror attack".

CIA Spy Captured Giving Nuclear Bomb To Terrorists
Posted by EU Times on Feb 11th, 2011 // 218 Comments
While all eyes in the West are currently trained on the ongoing revolution taking place in Egypt, Russia’s Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR) is warning that the situation on the sub-continent has turned “grave” as it appears open warfare is about to break out between Pakistan and the United States.

Fueling this crisis, that the SVR warns in their report has the potential to ignite a total Global War, was the apprehension by Pakistan of a 36-year-old American named Raymond Allen Davis (photo), whom the US claims is one of their diplomats, but Pakistani Intelligence Services (ISI) claim Raymond Davis is a spy for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

Davis was captured by Pakistani police after he shot and killed two men in the eastern city of Lahore on January 27th that the US claims were trying to rob him.

Pakistan, however, says that the two men Davis killed were ISI agents sent to follow him after it was discovered he had been making contact with al Qaeda after his cell phone was tracked to the Waziristan tribal area bordering Afghanistan where the Pakistani Taliban and a dozen other militant groups have forged a safe haven and former CIA agent Tim Osman (also known as Osama bin Laden) is believed to be in hiding.

Of the actual gunfight itself we can read as reported by the Time News Service which, in part, says:

“The scene could have been scripted in a Hollywood action thriller: For two hours at the end of last month in Lahore, U.S. diplomat Raymond Davis was closely pursued by two visibly armed men on a motorbike. He noticed them tailing him from a restaurant to an ATM, and through the crowded streets of Pakistan’s second [largest] city. They were close by when, in a crowded intersection, Davis produced his own handgun and fired seven shots.

The diplomat was apparently a crack shot, and all seven bullets found their mark, killing his two pursuers. Davis then called for back-up, and a four-wheel-drive vehicle raced onto the scene, striking a Pakistani bystander who was killed by the impact. But the people in the vehicle, whose identities remain unknown, escaped from the scene having failed to retrieve Davis, who was later arrested nearby.”

The combat skills exhibited by Davis, along with documentation taken from him after his arrest, prove, according to this report, his being a member of the feared American Task Force 373 (TF373) black operations unit currently operating in the Afghan War Theater and Pakistani tribal areas comprised of US Military Special Forces Soldiers, CIA spies and freelance mercenaries.

Further information about Davis discovered by the Times of India includes:
…………….
http://www.eutimes.net/2011/02/cia-spy- … errorists/

#24 2011-03-13 20:23:10

Scotty wrote:

opsec wrote:

Ooh, I like that idea for a Jump to Conclusions type game;  whenever a natural disaster strikes the object of the game is to write up "spin" from both sides as to who on the other side is to blame.

Democrats:  Evil corporations and their thirst for greed and power have cause this tsunami from overfishing and angering mother nature.

Republicans:  God is lashing out at the evil human population and/or this is karmic retribution for Pearl Harbor.

Obviously I am not as good at this as some of you would be and I realize that the Pearl Harbor one is a current FB and internet meme.

No no, amateurs! It's obviously because of the numerous drag queens that infest the TV in Japan. They are treated just like all the other 'talent' that haunt the silly game shows and vapid talk panels that make up most of prime time over here. God hates Japan because all but two of them are fat and ugly.

#26 2011-03-13 21:57:00

choad wrote:

http://video.l3.fbcdn.net/cfs-l3-snc6/81489/34/1605260179420_2624.mp4?oh=ac31b4d8738221641ba490396dc19636&oe=4D7F9F00&l3s=20110313100648&l3e=20110315101648&lh=0a6cfa5eeaecd6dc12abf

Stunning Footage.  Thanks Choad.  Amazing, simply amazing.

#27 2011-03-13 23:01:31

Dmtdust wrote:

The camera work is superb, locked right on the holyfuckingmotherofjesus the moment it happens.

#28 2011-03-13 23:46:04

Everything in that video is achingly familiar to me, the landscape, buildings and houses, even the fishing boats. Everything except the action; coupled with the flood it's like something from a nightmare.

#29 2011-03-14 02:08:23

choad wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

The camera work is superb, locked right on the holyfuckingmotherofjesus the moment it happens.

And the water just kept getting higher and higher. Jesus H.

#30 2011-03-14 02:09:45

whosasailorthen wrote:

Then, of course, there's all of our compassionate fellow Amerikans....

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/4803/66690720.jpg

It's also abundantly clear most Americans don't understand the concept of karma.

#31 2011-03-14 09:47:46

Three down, one to go.

#32 2011-03-14 10:01:37

I wish I was a car dealer in Japan in about a month when the insurance checks start clearing... Think it's too late to turn those car carrier ships around and return all those cars and trucks to Japan? (Not that they drive anything as big as a Camry there...)

#33 2011-03-14 10:05:45

Another thing that amazes me is how solid the buildings are. Very little stick built construction in that video, but what is there is off to the races too.

If this ever happened in the US I know you would see at least two distinct groups of people caught up in the flood water: Rednecks looting beer from the corner shop and yahoos trying to surf the standing waves.

#34 2011-03-14 17:09:07

Am I the only person who is getting extremely pissed at the knee-jerk leftist reaction to nuclear power in America?  Am I the only person who realizes none of our reactors are built on fucking fault lines that are capable of creating such massive headaches?  Am I the only one making the distinction between these 40 year old power plants and third and fourth generation technology that is going into reactors built "today" that have virtually eliminated the kinds of problems Japan is facing with regards to cooling abilities?

Are our elected officials really going to stand up and decry nuclear usage here in the states when this coupled with Middle East instability is all but creating the perfect scenario for so-called environmentalists to cripple the world economy?

#35 2011-03-14 17:30:48

Your arguments are invalid: San Onofre.

#36 2011-03-14 17:56:30

I should have posted my Fuck a Duck story here.

#37 2011-03-14 18:05:37

Scotty wrote:

Am I the only person who is getting extremely pissed at the knee-jerk leftist reaction to nuclear power in America?  Am I the only person who realizes none of our reactors are built on fucking fault lines that are capable of creating such massive headaches?  Am I the only one making the distinction between these 40 year old power plants and third and fourth generation technology that is going into reactors built "today" that have virtually eliminated the kinds of problems Japan is facing with regards to cooling abilities?

Are our elected officials really going to stand up and decry nuclear usage here in the states when this coupled with Middle East instability is all but creating the perfect scenario for so-called environmentalists to cripple the world economy?

As usual, even if you are largely correct on the facts, and you are also largely wrong on focus.  In fact, I haven’t heard all that much “leftist knee jerk reaction” as of yet.  I hear just as much, if not more, preemptive nuclear industry right wing defensiveness.  But then again, I have not been glued to Radio Pacifica or MSNBC.  Have you?

You should note that there are a few nuclear plants in risky locations in the US (e.g., Diablo Canyon in northern coastal CA and San Onofre in southern coastal CA) and there are many more nuclear storage sites in risky locations (e.g., the now mothballed Trojan plant near Portland, OR).

I take it that you are admitting mild sarcasm here) that US licensing requirements and risk analysis have provided us with pretty good protection against an earthquake and tsunami caused catastrophe.  Actually, it seems to me that the biggest concern has to be about other countries that have serious risk of major earthquakes, where they do not have regulatory barriers or any litigation risk analysis worries (imposed by the marketplace here), like Iran, China, Pakistan, Turkey. 

What is unfolding in Japan is not something we should just ignore.  Perhaps the pundits and profiteers will shut up for a while with their complaints about the obstacles that have stood in the path of some planned nuclear plants.  I doubt they will, however.  Remember how briefly broad public concern persisted about off-shore drilling after the recent Gulf spill.

Oh, I forgot to add, in honor of RT, BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH GO TO DRUDGE, ETC.

Last edited by Fled (2011-03-14 18:06:39)

#38 2011-03-14 23:57:58

Yeah, but those Asians can be so damn annoying when they're checking on their families who've been through that tsunami thing:

#39 2011-03-15 00:48:03

Latest news: FUCK!

#40 2011-03-15 01:01:28

I'm slowly beginning to appreciate my house has a 1960's lead-impregnated concrete fallout shelter with our own natural deep-earth water source... and that back in 9/11 days the old girlfriend stocked it with a pack of potassium iodide pills and various 'shelter' goodies.

#41 2011-03-15 01:31:23

Potassium Iodide has a shelf life of about 5 years.  Time to replace!

#42 2011-03-15 01:54:37

Dmtdust wrote:

Bullshit.  I work in the drug, biz, Dusty.  Stored in a cool, dry, dark place, KI lasts virtually forever with no degradation in effectiveness... and it don't get any cooler, dryer or darker than sealed in zip-lock's in a plastic carton in my shelter.  (The FDA originally said 5-7 years, but that was based upon potentially adverse storage conditions, and in 2007 the NRC petitioned the FDA to extend the shelf life under SRM-COMSECY-07002.)

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2011-03-15 02:07:44)

#44 2011-03-15 08:55:07

Even those Japanese reactors are somewhat dated, but they are millenia ahead of the reactors we have in this country. We haven't built a new reactor here in most of our lifetimes. The ones we have were built with Chernobyl-era construction methods and while they keep getting upgraded and repaired, their essential containment and safety systems remain the same.

I love the idea of nuclear power. But we should be taking the latest, greatest Westinghouse designs and building them instead of putting our money into more band-aids for our existing reactors. The French have been building nuclear reactors consistently and safely using the latest designs and generate power with much less cost and more safety than we do.

When it comes to the storage of spent fuel I think that we are being very short sighted when it comes to the protection of storage of fuel. Because we can't agree on a place to put it, instead it sits out in concrete boxes at power plants all over the country. The cement plant in our county has a contract to build the "coffins" (we call them) for storage. Each is the size of 1/2 a rail car and will hold the spent rods and pellets until such time as they are ready to be moved somewhere else. In the mean time, anyone with a 20 ton crane and a flatbed could steal enough spent fissile material to poison a whole city.

Plus, in 40 or 50 years when we want to reprocess "spent" fuel into more fuel, won't it be easier to be able to find it all in one place, ours for the taking? We should be actively accepting spent fuel from other countries and stockpiling it somewhere as a hedge against the future.

Shit, I am starting to sound like Kathkasung, aren't I?

#45 2011-03-15 12:36:19

How the hell are these people going to deal with this devastation?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/15/article-1366395-0B2EACC600000578-966_964x643.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/15/article-0-0B2D7C2600000578-689_964x641.jpg

More amazing and humbling photos here.

#46 2011-03-15 13:15:20

whosasailorthen wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

Bullshit.  I work in the drug, biz, Dusty.  Stored in a cool, dry, dark place, KI lasts virtually forever with no degradation in effectiveness... and it don't get any cooler, dryer or darker than sealed in zip-lock's in a plastic carton in my shelter.  (The FDA originally said 5-7 years, but that was based upon potentially adverse storage conditions, and in 2007 the NRC petitioned the FDA to extend the shelf life under SRM-COMSECY-07002.)

I was going by what I looked up, and all the sites said 5-7 years... so don't get all jumpy there pardner.

#47 2011-03-15 14:48:39

phreddy wrote:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/15/article-0-0B2D7C2600000578-689_964x641.jpg

Boat looks good to go, and livable.

#48 2011-03-15 15:18:39

Oh noes!

http://www.spaceghetto.org/images/urfqwaykes.png

This map, courtesy of spaceghetto, pinpoints the 3 major earthquakes circling the Pacific basin, aka the "Ring of Fire", over the past 13 months.

Point A is the 8.8Mw Chilean earthquake on 2/27/10.  Point B is the 7.1Mw Christchurch, New Zealand earthquake on 9/4/10.  Point C is the 9.0Mw Sendai earthquake last Friday. 

Point D, otherwise known as the Cascadia Subduction Zone.

Nature loves symmetry. Smoke 'em if you got 'em, Dusty.

Last edited by choad (2011-03-15 15:21:19)

#49 2011-03-15 15:28:20

Damn, I had a nice houseboat joke but was beaten to posting the pic.

#50 2011-03-15 17:36:07

Scotty wrote:

Damn, I had a nice houseboat joke but was beaten to posting the pic.

Go ahead and post the joke.  I thought about fabricating one, but the devastation was such that I was at a loss for a clever caption.  But I'm over it, besides, old man Neptune owed the Japs one for eating whales.

Board footer

cruelery.com