#1 2011-03-17 19:20:15

Honest.  Here is a serious article about the beneficial effects of radiation.  Try not to hock up a tumor when you discover it's written by Ann Coulter.  No politics in it at all, and very interesting.

#2 2011-03-17 20:25:43

Well that is interesting.  Sounds kinda all new agey, but there ya go.

#3 2011-03-17 22:03:42

I thought she was just kidding about the Free Enterprise Radon Spa, but lo and behold.

They even do dogs!

I love the pictures.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/359_bpunder.jpg

https://cruelery.com/uploads/359_radonroom.jpg

https://cruelery.com/uploads/359_radon_southgallery.jpg

I guess Ann has set us straight again. Last one in is a rotten egg!

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#4 2011-03-17 22:16:38

(Back in the '70s, Professor Cohen offered to eat as much plutonium as Ralph Nader would eat caffeine -- an offer Nader never accepted.)

Interesting

#5 2011-03-18 11:17:28

opsec wrote:

(Back in the '70s, Professor Cohen offered to eat as much plutonium as Ralph Nader would eat caffeine -- an offer Nader never accepted.)

Interesting

I'll have a demitasse of plutonium with a double milk of magnesia back, please.

#6 2011-03-18 11:38:20

phreddy wrote:

opsec wrote:

Interesting

If your drinkin', I be buying.

#7 2011-03-18 11:50:14

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

phreddy wrote:

opsec wrote:

Interesting

If your drinkin', I be buying.

Sounds good.  I'll order up a shot of pure caffeine for you.

#8 2011-03-18 13:02:11

Ill put that in the same file as the salt cave that my Aunt swears by. Full of great wisdom like

But there is a huge difference between
salt in its original form, as it has crystallized in the Earth over millions of
years, and “regular” table salt. Wholesome, natural salt has been used as a
holistic remedy for centuries.  Table salt, on the other hand, is nothing more
than sodium chloride with additives: a substance that - through industrial
processing -  become one of our worst  enemies.

Which is funny because 99.99% of the salt you get at the store comes from either salt lakes or is mined from deep in the earth. It's about 1000 times more expensive to make it from a chlorine reaction than to extract it from the sea or dig it out of the ground.

#9 2011-03-18 15:14:45

#10 2011-03-18 16:31:47

Dusty, I'll bet you never expected to post a conversation between Coulter and O'Reilly that wasn't posted for sarcastic effect.

I had read about the beneficial effects of radiation before, but, as Coulter says, the media always plays it up as though the smallest amout will give you cancer.  I would like to see more studies on cat scans and xrays.  They always tell you not to have too many or you'll develop cancer for sure.  That may be total bullshit.

#11 2011-03-18 18:42:58

It isn't bullshit, ionizing radiation is not a plaything. Study up on the history of Radiothor, it makes interesting reading.

#12 2011-03-18 18:52:25

Media says radiation is scary.  This causes fear that sells products. 
Fox news says the media is wrong.  This causes anger that sells products.

Ann’s kind of late to this party.  I’m surprised s/he missed this place.

#13 2011-03-18 19:47:14

It's nice that she found a schtick to make her relevant again.  She's an old hag compared to Megan Fox and the Fox-bots, so she has to do something extra special to get some Fox love these days.

#14 2011-03-18 20:26:22

phreddy wrote:

Dusty, I'll bet you never expected to post a conversation between Coulter and O'Reilly that wasn't posted for sarcastic effect.

I had read about the beneficial effects of radiation before, but, as Coulter says, the media always plays it up as though the smallest amout will give you cancer.  I would like to see more studies on cat scans and xrays.  They always tell you not to have too many or you'll develop cancer for sure.  That may be total bullshit.

You really don't know what depths I will sink to, do you?

#15 2011-03-18 21:18:01

I'm far more concerned about the effects that the mega(giga?) tons of toxic crap that was just flushed into the Pacific.

#16 2011-03-19 22:32:50

Even if all of her citations are correct (I'll assume for the sake of time that they are, though I trust her about as far as she can throw me), her conclusions don't match her assertions.  The thing is, if there is a major nuclear catastrophe, people aren't going to end up with a measly five times the normal background radiation levels.

She is right that the media loves a good radiation scare story, but she's just as bad as the media she decries, because the problem with both of their reporting is that they frame everything as radiation vs. no radiation.  It's all about how much radiation, not if you are exposed to radiation.  Hell, you're exposed to higher-than-normal radiation if you eat a banana.

#17 2011-03-19 22:39:07

Radiation would shrink her Adam's Apple, so in her case radiation exposure might be a good thing!

#18 2011-03-19 22:50:06

On an unrelated note, I was listening to a documentary about HELA cells and they explained that early radiation therapy for cervical cancer in the 50s consisted of sewing pouches with radium in them to the walls of the cervix, essentially burning off the cancer cells.  That just sounds incredibly painful.

#19 2011-03-19 23:42:00

tojo2000 wrote:

On an unrelated note, I was listening to a documentary about HELA cells and they explained that early radiation therapy for cervical cancer in the 50s consisted of sewing pouches with radium in them to the walls of the cervix, essentially burning off the cancer cells.  That just sounds incredibly painful.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/21_radium_water.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#20 2011-03-19 23:44:31

I know a guy who's job is sticking radioactive needles into prostates and vaginae. Breasts and jaws are also fair game.

#21 2011-03-20 00:12:23

Radium Girls

Dose Chart (by xkcd, how odd).

#22 2011-03-20 14:39:01

tojo2000 wrote:

Even if all of her citations are correct (I'll assume for the sake of time that they are, though I trust her about as far as she can throw me), her conclusions don't match her assertions.  The thing is, if there is a major nuclear catastrophe, people aren't going to end up with a measly five times the normal background radiation levels.

She is right that the media loves a good radiation scare story, but she's just as bad as the media she decries, because the problem with both of their reporting is that they frame everything as radiation vs. no radiation.  It's all about how much radiation, not if you are exposed to radiation.  Hell, you're exposed to higher-than-normal radiation if you eat a banana.

Like I said, she is just being her usual attention whore self.  Not surprisingly, real scientists disagree.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/ … 2011-03-18

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 … protec.php

#23 2011-03-21 00:35:26

And now for some classic Krautrock:

#24 2011-03-21 00:47:49

AladdinSane wrote:

And now for some classic Krautrock:

Saw them live.  Great Band.

#25 2011-03-21 13:38:04

headkicker_girl wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

Like I said, she is just being her usual attention whore self.  Not surprisingly, real scientists disagree.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/ … 2011-03-18

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 … protec.php

I find it entertaining when Ann Coulter's critics try to take her down.  Both of these guys are obviously Coulter haters.  They both launch ad hominem attacks which have nothing to do with her column.  They attribute a claim to to her that the Japanese nuke plant meltdowns are good for us, then go on to dispute the spurious claim.  All she said was that there is scientific evidence that anyone exposed to the radiation, " is now probably much less likely to get cancer."   It was a NY Times article she quoted that said radiation "is good for you".  Their damning evidence that she is "stupid" and out of her league consists of rambling scientific explainations of how she is only partially correct and that "Most researchers remain skeptical of hormesis".

#26 2011-03-21 14:26:45

phreddy wrote:

...there is scientific evidence that anyone exposed to the radiation, " is now probably much less likely to get cancer."

Lucrezia Borgia is believed to have consumed small amounts of various poisons so that she would have partial immunity to whatever poison she served to her victims.  Perhaps the poisons acted as preventative chemotherapy and were good for her?  After all, she didn’t get cancer!

#27 2011-03-21 14:38:20

phreddy wrote:

I find it entertaining when Ann Coulter's critics try to take her down.  Both of these guys are obviously Coulter haters.  They both launch ad hominem attacks which have nothing to do with her column.  They attribute a claim to to her that the Japanese nuke plant meltdowns are good for us, then go on to dispute the spurious claim.  All she said was that there is scientific evidence that anyone exposed to the radiation, " is now probably much less likely to get cancer."   It was a NY Times article she quoted that said radiation "is good for you".  Their damning evidence that she is "stupid" and out of her league consists of rambling scientific explainations of how she is only partially correct and that "Most researchers remain skeptical of hormesis".

Jesus, phreddy, dislodge your lips from her cock for a second and read what they're saying.  She made a direct claim that the radiation from the reactors in Japan would have a beneficial effect, and threw out some examples that purport to support her claim, but that's not how science works.  If people can't reproduce your findings then they're worthless.  She didn't claim that hormesis might exist, she wrote an article making a specific claim with no credible evidence.

#28 2011-03-21 17:29:44

Science journalism requires more study and thought than Coulter ever gives any subject.  In this instance she comes off as an idiot.

#29 2011-03-21 19:18:28

She's not an idiot, just devoid of scruples.

#30 2011-03-21 21:00:43

tojo2000 wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Jesus, phreddy, dislodge your lips from her cock for a second and read what they're saying.  She made a direct claim that the radiation from the reactors in Japan would have a beneficial effect, and threw out some examples that purport to support her claim, but that's not how science works.  If people can't reproduce your findings then they're worthless.  She didn't claim that hormesis might exist, she wrote an article making a specific claim with no credible evidence.

Don't say Cock Tojo, engorged oversized Clitoris but not that other C-word.  Phwed is sensitive after all.

#31 2011-03-21 21:18:43

phreddy wrote:

This is stretching even for you.  Call me crazy but I'd trust the scientist over the failed lawyer. And yes, I say failed because she does not practice, has not for years, and is so far out of the loop that she has to resort to stunts like this to even get anyone to notice her.  I don't think for a minute that she believes half of the crap she spews. She is an attention whore, pure and simple.  Like a petulant child she acts out until she's back in the headlines.  Apparently it works because she has people like you defending her bullshit.

#32 2011-03-21 23:43:23

headkicker_girl wrote:

I don't think for a minute that she believes half of the crap she spews. She is an attention whore, pure and simple.  Like a petulant child she acts out until she's back in the headlines.  Apparently it works because she has people like you defending her bullshit.

Glenn Beck's more masculine twin.

#33 2011-03-22 07:44:23

And yes, I say failed because she does not practice, has not for years, and . . . .

Your perjorative is poorly chosen for Ms. Adamsapple.  Perhaps she simply found that being a bimbette media star is far easier and more lucrative than practicing law, which, speaking from experience, is a tedious way of making a living.  After all, how else is a T-girl going to give the dittohead boys a boner without risk of an std?

#34 2011-03-22 11:42:51

Fled wrote:

And yes, I say failed because she does not practice, has not for years, and . . . .

Your perjorative is poorly chosen for Ms. Adamsapple.  Perhaps she simply found that being a bimbette media star is far easier and more lucrative than practicing law, which, speaking from experience, is a tedious way of making a living.  After all, how else is a T-girl going to give the dittohead boys a boner without risk of an std?

I'm more in agreement with Headkicker.  Apparently, being a failed lawyer is an excellent resume boost for a run at the presidency.  It worked for Clinton and Obama.  But wait, Coulter hasn't had her law license suspended or been disbarred.  She'll have to work on that.

Last edited by phreddy (2011-03-22 11:43:27)

#35 2011-03-22 15:45:54

Okay, although I wasn't really disagreeing with what HK said.  I was trying to give Adamsapple some credit.  Also, I was looking for an opportunity to launch a crass insult.

Some other "failed" lawyers:

Eric Cantor (never practiced law except for daddy's mortgage and real estate finance business);

Mitch McConnell (joined the Army Reserve during his last semester in law school and using political pull got "cleared" early from active duty in July 1967; later got a medical discharge related to claimed eye problem);

Then there are those who practiced law for years, and learned mostly how badly they could fuck up their own lives.  (John Edwards)

My favorites are those who got their law degrees from Oral Roberts.

Last edited by Fled (2011-03-22 15:47:46)

#36 2011-03-22 16:51:06

Fled wrote:

I agree that she found being a meda star more lucrative and much less work.  It takes no talent to talk out of your ass, especially when your target audience consists of morons.  You have to actually think and be accountable to practice law (even the worst ones).

#37 2011-03-22 17:11:04

Fled wrote:

Okay, although I wasn't really disagreeing with what HK said.  I was trying to give Adamsapple some credit.  Also, I was looking for an opportunity to launch a crass insult.

Some other "failed" lawyers:

Eric Cantor (never practiced law except for daddy's mortgage and real estate finance business);

Mitch McConnell (joined the Army Reserve during his last semester in law school and using political pull got "cleared" early from active duty in July 1967; later got a medical discharge related to claimed eye problem);

Then there are those who practiced law for years, and learned mostly how badly they could fuck up their own lives.  (John Edwards)

My favorites are those who got their law degrees from Oral Roberts.

John Edwards was not a failure as a lawyer.  He was actually quite successful.  He was however, a failure as a human being.

Michelle Bachman was "successful" as a tax attorney.  It's what gives her wackiness the air of credibility to her followers, who don't know any better.

#38 2011-03-22 17:13:49

phreddy wrote:

Fled wrote:

I'm more in agreement with Headkicker.  Apparently, being a failed lawyer is an excellent resume boost for a run at the presidency.  It worked for Clinton and Obama.  But wait, Coulter hasn't had her law license suspended or been disbarred.  She'll have to work on that.

Bush was a failed businessman and Reagan was a failed actor.  I guess failure is a prerequisite for being President.

#39 2011-03-22 17:40:51

headkicker_girl wrote:

John Edwards was not a failure as a lawyer.  He was actually quite successful.  He was however, a failure as a human being.

Michelle Bachman was "successful" as a tax attorney.  It's what gives her wackiness the air of credibility to her followers, who don't know any better.

For Edwards, say that again once he gets disbarred.

I believe Bachmann practiced law for all of 5 years before giving it up. 

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101011183910/wikiality/images/thumb/9/9b/Batboymichele.jpg/369px-Batboymichele.jpg

#40 2011-03-22 19:02:50

headkicker_girl wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Fled wrote:

Bush was a failed businessman and Reagan was a failed actor.  I guess failure is a prerequisite for being President.

Even Clinton failed to inhale, we may be on to something here. The biggest problem with this theory as it stands now is that it can't be used to make predictions. All the 'front runners' so far are miserable failures of one kind or another.

#41 2011-03-22 19:41:40

headkicker_girl wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Fled wrote:

You are on to something here.  Perhaps being a failure makes the person chosen by our real rulers grateful for a high status job, and willing to do as he is told.

#42 2011-03-25 12:46:28

Ann Coulter strikes back with science.  (Caution, unlike her first column, which was completely science-based and lacked political punch, this one rips the liberals who have tried to counter her claims.  If watching liberals being ripped to shreds bothers you, do not read this week's column.)

Last edited by phreddy (2011-03-25 12:47:21)

#43 2011-03-25 15:54:59

I hate to break the news to you Phreddy, but you've linked to the same article twice.  She does not get more convincing on a second read.  Perhaps she should try to prove her original point by addressing the effects of radiation rather than picking on an array of Hollywood figures speaking on wholly unrelated topics, as though that proves her point, whatever it was, about radiation.  To make an analogy, one could label Coulter's position on radiation as "conservative," and then attack it as somehow related to the science of intelligent design.  She uses a weak rhetorical devices rather than reasoned argument for a reason.

#44 2011-03-25 16:33:57

Fled wrote:

I hate to break the news to you Phreddy, but you've linked to the same article twice.  She does not get more convincing on a second read.  Perhaps she should try to prove her original point by addressing the effects of radiation rather than picking on an array of Hollywood figures speaking on wholly unrelated topics, as though that proves her point, whatever it was, about radiation.  To make an analogy, one could label Coulter's position on radiation as "conservative," and then attack it as somehow related to the science of intelligent design.  She uses a weak rhetorical devices rather than reasoned argument for a reason.

I believe her rationale is perfectly valid.  First she points out, as I did in my comments about the first column, that her detractors offered no real rebuttal to her statements, only ad hominem attacks.  Second, she likens this radiation scare to other hysterical incidents hyped by the liberal press and their Hollywood "experts".

#45 2011-03-25 18:27:05

One More Time:  There is no "Liberal Press", unless you are solely on Mother Jones.  There are no liberal newspapers, tv channels etc from where I stand.

#46 2011-03-25 18:40:13

You've linked to the same article both times.  Only the second article is linked in both of your comments, even in your first post. 

Her line of attack in the second article is specious for the reasons I stated.  She smears a lot of crap around as though it has anything to do with beneficial health effects of exposure to radiation.  She adds nothing of value in the second article. 

If her original point was that there is some scientific evidence that low levels of radiation exposure can have beneficial effects, no problem.  Like Dusty said, it sounds a little new-agey, like homeopathy, but so be it.  However, she went a hell of a lot further than that.  I found her article elsewhere, and among other inanities, she said:

With the terrible earthquake and resulting tsunami that have devastated Japan, the only good news is that anyone exposed to excess radiation from the nuclear power plants is now probably much less likely to get cancer.

Less likely to get cancer than who?  Than those not exposed?  She goes on to claim there is burgeoning evidence" that excess radiation exposure amounts to a "cancer vaccine."  What an idiot.  Don't be an idiot and buy in to that.  Just go visit the ruins of Chernobyl and report back.

Last edited by Fled (2011-03-25 18:41:47)

#47 2011-03-25 19:16:38

Fled wrote:

You've linked to the same article both times.  Only the second article is linked in both of your comments, even in your first post.

That's because I linked to her webpage where she posts her column.  It changes weekly.  In other words, you should have been here last week.

Fled wrote:

Less likely to get cancer than who?  Than those not exposed?

Than what the hysterical press has been telling everyone the Japanese would get.

Fled wrote:

Just go visit the ruins of Chernobyl and report back.

The only confirmed fatalities from Chernobyl were those killed in the original blast.  Honest.  Look it up.

Last edited by phreddy (2011-03-25 19:17:22)

#48 2011-03-25 20:01:45

phreddy wrote:

The only confirmed fatalities from Chernobyl were those killed in the original blast.  Honest.  Look it up.

And the tooth fairy is a supply-sider. Do you also believe that there is no link between cigarette smoking and cancer?

#49 2011-03-26 02:32:46

phreddy wrote:

You aren't actually serious are you?

#50 2011-03-26 13:57:50

I have family in Scotland who are still suffering from the results of Chernobyl, as are many in their local community.  I take that was a joke Phwedd.

Board footer

cruelery.com