#1 2007-12-03 18:08:55

Assume you had a choice to move anywhere in the continental US.

For me, this is not an academic question. I hate cities but otherwise, I'm open to suggestion.

#2 2007-12-03 18:12:00

Chapel Hill, North Carolina

It's in the South, but it's not full of rednecks.

#3 2007-12-03 18:27:21

High Sierras

#4 2007-12-03 18:34:50

headkicker_girl wrote:

Wouldn't have thought of that, thanks. A college town but, not really. Only downside occurs to me is cheap smokes.

#5 2007-12-03 19:32:38

kim

outside of Portland, OR possibly?  Wilderness with surrounding job opportunities. You could commute to your job if need be and at least that city has some God damn trees. CONS: Some people hate the idea of Oregon. Hippies.

Aspen, CO. You won't be surrounded by as many ugly people, they have strict laws about littering, might be a number of things to do. CONS: rich tourist assholes? Rent could be high due to area.

Montana. Housing is cheap, beautiful area. Apparently no speed limit? CONS: Jobs are scarce. Mormons? or other fucking weirdo religious freaks.

#6 2007-12-03 19:39:30

choad wrote:

headkicker_girl wrote:

Wouldn't have thought of that, thanks. A college town but, not really. Only downside occurs to me is cheap smokes.

I lived in Chapel Hill several years ago (like, fifteen) and it is a lovely place; but, as in most other academic communities, many of the people there are far too conscious of their coolth.

Austin, TX, same pros and cons.

I'd suggest Greenville, NC, one of my favorite places in the world.  Chapel Hill Lite, plenty of intellectual stimulation but far less intellectual smugness.  And the beaches are only about an hour away.

If you want your breath taken away by beauty at every turn of your head, any time of the year:  Asheville, NC.

#7 2007-12-03 19:49:53

orangeplus wrote:

High Sierras

FYI,  I grew up in the high Sierras.  Quincy to be exact.  Lotsa intolerant rednecks and intolerant hippies.

Cold as shit in the winter, no real culture, but it is a good place to grow some killer weed.  It is pretty though....

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3615/quincypix020yo9.jpg

This is Spanish Peak, in June....

#8 2007-12-03 19:58:33

California north of the Bay Area is nice.  It's an area the size of the state of New York with less than a million inhabitants.  You can choose an upscale area like Napa Valley, or a pretty, yet less expensive town like Chico or Redding in the valley, or Eureka or Fort Bragg on the Coast.  Daytime temps during the summer on the coast are in the 70's.  Just over the hill in the valley it reaches 100 or even more, but it's dry all summer.

#9 2007-12-03 20:20:34

phreddy wrote:

or a pretty, yet less expensive town like Chico or Redding

Chico is nice only because it has all those trees, Bidwell Park and the canyon.
Redding sucks...it's on I-5 and a real shit-hole.

#10 2007-12-03 22:48:12

Charlottesville, VA.  Not cheap, but a really nice place.

or

*Anywhere* on Lake Winnepesaukee, NH.  One of the most beautiful place on earth.  (On Golden Pond was filmed there and on nearby Swuam Lake).

http://www.innongoldenpond.com/foliage_splash.jpg

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2007-12-03 22:54:41)

#11 2007-12-03 23:06:15

My parents moved to Durango recently.  Not a whole hell of a lot to do, but it's beautiful with all of the modern amenities.  Lakes in the Summer and skiing in the Winter.

#12 2007-12-03 23:18:10

whosasailorthen wrote:

*Anywhere* on Lake Winnepesaukee, NH.  One of the most beautiful place on earth.  (On Golden Pond was filmed there and on nearby Swuam Lake).

A-huh. There's one of our number who dedicated his misspent youth to off-season house breaks in that neck of the woods.

Population density croaked the soul of all the garden spots I've known, and nothing accomplished that faster than vacation destinations.

#13 2007-12-04 07:35:22

choad wrote:

Assume you had a choice to move anywhere in the continental US.

I'm way a-head of you, and already there, Dude.  Come sun-rise, I'll likely take my brandy and Kenyan Pea-Berry out back to bask in the warmth as I reflect upon the snow-capped peak in the distance.

#14 2007-12-04 11:23:09

Lurker wrote:

You apparently have never exited I-5 and taken a look.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/1734314657_70a82ff29c.jpg

#15 2007-12-04 12:05:17

phreddy wrote:

Lurker wrote:

You apparently have never exited I-5 and taken a look.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/173 … 2ff29c.jpg

'scuse me, but I have been through Redding many times.  There is nothing there of interest, unless you're a redneck, trucker or farmer.

I'll likely take my brandy and Kenyan Pea-Berry...

Yes Dec, we get it already, you are a man of discriminating tastes, as well as an effete caffiend....

Last edited by Lurker (2007-12-04 12:21:11)

#16 2007-12-04 12:30:53

Portland, ME or OR

Burlington, VT / White Mountains region

Northern NM - maybe near Taos

Ouray or Estes Park, CO (tacky but great mountains)

Camden NJ (for the culture)

#17 2007-12-04 12:37:08

I lived in the Sierra foothills for a year or so - Calaveras County, to be precise - and it's a beautiful area. Rural, but close enough to the Bay Area to get your urban fix. Other places like Amador and Tuolumne counties are quite beautiful, as well. If I weren't settling into San Francisco professionally, I'd really like to move back to Alaska, but - of course - that's not the continental US.

Phreddy's right, too. The north Bay Area is beautiful, and if you settled far enough north in Sonoma or Napa counties, you'd be free of all the pretentious Bay Area types with too much money and too much spare time. Mendocino County, of course, is spectacular, and still within a couple hours of San Francisco.

I also have to agree with Lurker: Redding's a shit hole, but the area around it is beautiful.

Last edited by Taint (2007-12-04 12:38:04)

#18 2007-12-04 12:46:40

Fled wrote:

Portland, ME or OR

Burlington, VT / White Mountains region

Northern NM - maybe near Taos

Ouray or Estes Park, CO (tacky but great mountains)

Camden NJ (for the culture)

Gets easier when I rule out all the places I've already inhabited, which means all of those.

-1974-
       Evergreen, Colorado
       Frisco, Colorado
-1975-
       Frisco, Colorado
-1976-
       Dillon, Colorado
-1979-
       Plainfield, New Jersey
       Montclair, New Jersey
       East Orange, New Jersey
-1982-
       Portland, ME
       Barre, Vermont
       Montpelier, Vermont
       Brattleboro, Vermont
-1983-
       Brattleboro, Vermont

#19 2007-12-04 12:51:04

Taint wrote:

I also have to agree with Lurker: Redding's a shit hole, but the area around it is beautiful.

I loved what I saw of Mt Shasta and Russian River but I was an ignorant tourist.

#20 2007-12-04 13:00:37

choad wrote:

Taint wrote:

I loved what I saw of Mt Shasta and Russian River but I was an ignorant tourist.

Mount Shasta IS a breath-taking sight, it's also a sacred site for the
(remaining) local Indians.  Mt. Lassen is is also interesting, volcanic activity and easy to hike. 

I've only passed through the Russian River (huge fag magnet) area on my way to see friends who own a restaurant at Little River, on the Mendicino coast.  Despite the uber-touristy aspect of Mendicino proper, it is beautiful.  I was also surprised to find there is a huge Mexican population in Fort Bragg, to the north.

#21 2007-12-04 13:07:18

choad wrote:

-1979-
       Montclair, New Jersey

Ewww. I lived in Monclair for a short time.  What a fucking dive.

#22 2007-12-04 14:12:08

whosasailorthen wrote:

choad wrote:

-1979-
       Montclair, New Jersey

Ewww. I lived in Monclair for a short time.  What a fucking dive.

Seemed more prosperous than any of the surrounding communities.

Moving is an addiction I acquired as a kid and only arrested six years ago.

The next link was my all-time favorite.

http://buzzardsbay.net/1963/

It was also my first exposure to television; clear broadcasts from both NY and Philly. Media heaven, for its time.

#23 2007-12-04 14:26:10

Eastern Shore of Virginia. Farming, friendly people, just enough rednecks to make reading the newspaper fun, and near enough to big cities to get your "special needs" stuff from time to time.

#24 2007-12-04 16:10:44

Okay, so you've basically covered everyplace I mentioned except northern New Mexico.  Some other ideas (and NJ was just what you thought it was): Goob is right, eastern shore VA is nice, though a little sticky in summer.  There must be some nice places in the Smokies, although I have suffered a stay in Gatlinburg.  The eastern side of the Blue Ridge is nice, say Rappahanock County.  I don't know Idaho very well, but if you can stomach sage-brushers and other tidy bowlers, it looks good in pictures.

Last edited by Fled (2007-12-04 16:11:10)

#25 2007-12-04 16:57:04

tojo2000 wrote:

My parents moved to Durango recently.  Not a whole hell of a lot to do, but it's beautiful with all of the modern amenities.  Lakes in the Summer and skiing in the Winter.

Durango, I liked. Alamosa, Grand Junction, and Leadville too, you ignored Lake Sludge and its toxic tailings. Broke my heart to see what gambling and tourism did to Silverton and Central City.

Last edited by choad (2007-12-04 16:57:37)

#26 2007-12-04 17:33:03

whosasailorthen wrote:

choad wrote:

Montclair, New Jersey

Ewww. I lived in Montclair for a short time.

Then y'all are way too familiar with the bus lines into the Port Authority, I'll bet. I was in Bloomfield for over a year, and found it comparable to a living death. Having been born and raised mostly on Long Island, I can appreciate that template of Tri-State suburbia in a peculiar way.

As for where I'd move, I'm already there. It's one of those places like Honolulu, Orlando, or Anaheim...somewhere you vacation, but that you're sure everyone forced to reside there isn't enjoying so much. I still like having all my windows and terrace doors open as I write this, and I try not to forget how good that is. I'd still rather "keep an apartment here" than live full-time. I think that's how most people regard their favorite destinations. Anything more would ruin the fun.

#27 2007-12-06 00:27:50

I'd like to live in London.....  There is lots of history there, the women are beautiful, the temperature is bearable all year around, it's progressive and cosmopolitan and I'm mostly English ancestry.  Not only that, but I speak the language.......

#28 2007-12-06 00:44:32

Dirckman wrote:

I'd like to live in London.....  There is lots of history there, the women are beautiful, the temperature is bearable all year around, it's progressive and cosmopolitan and I'm mostly English ancestry.  Not only that, but I speak the language.......

Nice place, but the traffic sucks and everything costs a bloody fortune.   I travel there about 5 times a year.

If you want England then better to live in Somerset - somewhere in the Mendip Hills... lovely thatched cottages, quiet trout streams, proximity to Stonehenge, Westbury, etc. - and it's all absolutely beautiful.  Or perhaps travel further north, over near Greater Malvern, home of the Morgan sports cars... the black hills of Malvern are stunning.

#29 2007-12-06 00:50:16

Dirckman wrote:

I love the English Countryside, but you can keep London.  London is a huge, ugly, smelly shithole full of muds.  There are a few nice areas and neat things embedded in this shithole, but not enough to make it worth living there.  I have English relatives and have spent a bit of time in England.  Trust me on this, the reality of living in London is very different from the tourist view.

#30 2007-12-06 01:03:44

pALEPHx wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

choad wrote:

Montclair, New Jersey

Ewww. I lived in Montclair for a short time.

Then y'all are way too familiar with the bus lines into the Port Authority, I'll bet.

NJ's metro trains are now among the best I've seen anywhere in the US but in 1980 some of their rolling stock still dated to the turn of the century. Its pay to play culture of municipal corruption bothered me as much as it does here. Like a beer keg tapped at both ends, NYC and Philly, as Benjamin Franklin described it.

Hell, is there any place in US to escape that?

Last edited by choad (2007-12-06 01:07:42)

#31 2007-12-06 12:35:26

choad wrote:

-1982-
       Portland, ME
       Barre, Vermont
       Montpelier, Vermont
       Brattleboro, Vermont
-1983-
       Brattleboro, Vermont

I briefly lived in Brattelboro in the late 1960's - A beautiful area: But, the Winters are a real bitch.

Fled wrote:

Okay, so you've basically covered everyplace I mentioned except northern New Mexico.

And, on the Southern end, Las Cruces is rather nice (As larger cities go).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Las_Cruces.jpg

#32 2007-12-06 16:18:07

Decadence wrote:

I briefly lived in Brattelboro in the late 1960's - A beautiful area: But, the Winters are a real bitch.

Not anymore. It warn't comfortable but I made it through two winters on a harley. The CT River moderates the climate and gives locals what they're fond of calling 'snizzle'; intermittent snow and drizzle. It's economy, though, begins and ends with quaint. Wonderful, victorian era housing stock, no jobs and more arrogant rattabastid second dwellers than any sane human can stand. Happily, leaf peeper and hunting season often coincide. Them's good eatin'.

#33 2007-12-06 16:34:41

choad wrote:

made it through two winters

The hog alone had impact with the locals, no doubt.

#34 2007-12-06 19:02:43

choad wrote:

Gets easier when I rule out all the places I've already inhabited, which means all of those.

-1974-
       Evergreen, Colorado
       Frisco, Colorado
-1975-
       Frisco, Colorado
-1976-
       Dillon, Colorado
-1979-
       Plainfield, New Jersey
       Montclair, New Jersey
       East Orange, New Jersey
-1982-
       Portland, ME
       Barre, Vermont
       Montpelier, Vermont
       Brattleboro, Vermont
-1983-
       Brattleboro, Vermont

Fuck, man.  Move somewhere warm.  Hotlanta. 

Unless you want cold, barren wasteland.  I hear Omaha has some nice shopping.

#35 2007-12-06 19:40:59

Scotty wrote:

Fuck, man.  Move somewhere warm.  Hotlanta. 

Unless you want cold, barren wasteland.  I hear Omaha has some nice shopping.

Lincoln's more to my taste but I never found anything wrong with Nebraska. I criss crossed the state on assignment once and without knowing it, had folks I'd just met phoning ahead to ensure I was shown a good time. That never happened anywhere else.

#36 2007-12-06 19:56:47

I would love to live around the Lake Wenatchee area.

http://www.lakewenatcheeinfo.com/

#37 2007-12-06 20:12:39

Fraunee wrote:

I would love to live around the Lake Wenatchee area.

http://www.lakewenatcheeinfo.com/

How do you distinguish one part of the Cascades from another? To an outsider, it all seems the same scenery and the same climate.

The Palouse region in the eastern part of the state is by contrast freakishly awesome and fertile almost beyond belief; wheat yields you see no where else and combines harvesting along 45 degree slopes.

#38 2007-12-06 20:39:42

I could easily live with out going back to this place [yet again].

#39 2007-12-06 21:03:50

The concert entitled “Home For The Holidays: If Only In My Dreams” will pay musical tribute to Americas’ deployed.

Something tells me that's not the home they're dreaming about. I got stranded on that base only a couple days and know exactly what you mean. Hope you got even with whoever you pissed off to get that posting more than once.

#40 2007-12-06 21:15:51

Both times it was [just] tdy. Helping the trainer/testers fuck with the regulars.

I have been in some asshole of the arm pit (so to speak) places, for CONUS this shithole was something.

#41 2007-12-06 22:43:44

Funny that this post was made. I live in Phoenix currently... BUT next week on the 12th I hop on a plane and am never coming back. SORRY pALEPHx about that promised rest stop encounter, but so long Phoenix. I won't miss it one bit. Moving to Olympia, WA land of no illegal immigrants! Goodbye dirty Mexicans GOODBYE! Fuck this state fuck it in it's stupid ass. That said I'll still be around on here. Scary thought I know...

#42 2007-12-06 22:54:06

Dreadw0lf

You are incorrect.  During the eighties I served about half way between Olympia and Tacoma for a number of years.  There was a whole shit load of your Mexican buddies back then.

Go figure now?

You will see.

#43 2007-12-06 23:30:38

When it comes to the U.S., Dirckman thinks every place East of the Rocky Mountains is Blah.................

#44 2007-12-07 00:20:34

MSG Tripps wrote:

Dreadw0lf

You are incorrect.  During the eighties I served about half way between Olympia and Tacoma for a number of years.  There was a whole shit load of your Mexican buddies back then.

Go figure now?

You will see.

I lived up there before for several years. Yes, there were a ton of refugee prairie niggers, but aside from that 99% of the spics spoke good English.I could understand them when I went through the drive through and they could understand me. From the 80s and when I lived there, that’s somewhere between 15-20 years apart. I moved there in 2001 and left in 2004 not the same as here.

Try AZ, it's Fucking sickening.  I've said this before, I wasn't racist till I moved here. Have you ever had the reek of shit from 20 of them living in the same apartment? They are happy shitting in a bag and throwing that in the dumpster or out a window or any goddamn place they want. On top of this when you go into a store they and their vermin children have no respect for anything or anyone. They get in the way and get pissed off when you get mad because they have no idea why you are angry they won’t get out of your way.

They act like they think they own the United States and have some privilege over you. They all act like you are a POS for no letting them have their way. 99% of them smell bad and don't care, they play that horrid Mexican music at all hours of the day AND night and also think they should have that right.

I have other personal reasons for hating the fucking nasty worthless near abouts Mexicans in this state, but I’ll keep those for my personal collection.

I personally think the US should be more concerned about the Mexican invasion than that of fucking oil wars.

Ok, I've ranted enough tonight and once again. I'm glad to be getting the fuck out of this state.

If minorities don't want to be shit on maybe they shouldn't seem like they live to be the stereotype. I have no issue AT all with a person of any race who is capable of showing common respect and act like a human being should. Niggers, White Trash, Money grubbing Jews, Drunk go no where Prairie Niggers, Sand Niggers, Dot heads, I don't care I hate all races equally, IF you don't want to learn our fucking language GO THE FUCK HOME!

And btw I AM a prairie nigger. I guess I am home, when I say home for them I mean the reservation.
Any better ass pain?

Last edited by Dreadw0lf (2007-12-07 00:47:16)

#45 2007-12-07 00:33:21

Dreadw0lf wrote:

Way too many words; without any breaks; adds up to me thinking perhaps you had better regroup and try to say it  again.....

#46 2007-12-07 00:40:28

MSG Tripps wrote:

Dreadw0lf wrote:

Way too many words; without any breaks; adds up to me thinking perhaps you had better regroup and try to say it  again.....

Meh, I guess I went a little off on the subject. How would you like me to break it down?

#47 2007-12-07 01:06:23

Dreadw0lf wrote:

How would you like me to break it down?

I no longer train.

#48 2007-12-07 01:13:18

MSG Tripps wrote:

Dreadw0lf wrote:

How would you like me to break it down?

I no longer train.

We talking asstrain, daisy chain, or I like to suck a lot of cock? What are you Mexican?

#49 2007-12-07 01:29:08

Dreadw0lf wrote:

Meh, I guess I went a little off on the subject. How would you like me to break it down?

After 200 years, why is anyone still surprised the starvation wages we offer for donkey work beneath our dignity attracts the world's wretched refuse?

#50 2007-12-07 01:30:39

Sucking cock doesn't replace good grammar or punctuation.

Board footer

cruelery.com