#1 2007-10-08 11:12:42

Columbus didn't discover America and he was not the first to prove the world wasn't flat. Columbus was a slave trading pirate and murderer. So, today is the celebration of a genocidal thief. Yippee!

#2 2007-10-08 12:58:56

Being of both Italian and Native American descent, I suppose I should have an internal conflict today.  Regareless of how you want to judge Columbus, he did discover the New World for Europeans.  He set off to find a trade route.  His primary mission was one of commerce, but then conquest and pillage of "savage" lands was a respected and even revered profession in the 15th century.  Someone was eventually going to find the Americas and judging from the later actions of the Conquistadores, the Dutch, French, Portuguese, and Brits, it never was going to be pretty.  Perhaps it would have been better if Europe had waited and sent a peaceful committee to ask the Native Americans to join the European Union.  Yeah, right.

So, let's celebrate the adventure of the ballsy Dago who paved the way for all of your ancestors.  The ones who committed the real mayhem.

#3 2007-10-08 13:36:09

My father's family is Cherokee. I'm holding out for Andrew Jackson's birthday.

#4 2007-10-08 13:57:01

I say Fuck You for making me watch Ward Churchill. That guy has been stinking up every reasonably cool leftist gathering for the last 10 - 15 years, if I have to run into him grandstanding at the next anarchist bookfaire, I'm goning to scalp his palefaced ponytail.

#5 2007-10-08 14:03:20

orangeplus wrote:

I say Fuck You for making me watch Ward Churchill. That guy has been stinking up every reasonably cool leftist gathering for the last 10 - 15 years, if I have to run into him grandstanding at the next anarchist bookfaire, I'm goning to scalp his palefaced ponytail.

You shouldn't dog someone who managed to lose tenure. That takes effort.

My brother is going for tenure right now, and once he gets it, he's set. You'd have to fuck a goat on University property to lose it. But Ward did it. Bully for him!

#6 2007-10-08 17:08:57

Losing tenure. Repeatedly biting the hand that feeds will do that, plus or minus one goat (and the attendant inability to publish something in a reputable, peer-reviewed journal). Is there anyone whom this guy's perspective serves? Revisionism usually pisses everyone off. Someone forgot to send Mammy Ahmadinejad the memo.

#7 2007-10-08 17:11:30

My brother is going for tenure right now, and once he gets it, he's set. You'd have to fuck a goat on University property to lose it. But Ward did it. Bully for him!

But Ward Churchill IS a goat.

Board footer

cruelery.com