#2 2012-08-05 21:33:56

I have to admit, I'll be watching. 1:30 am EST is the scheduled landing on the surface. Time to heat water for the french press and pack a fresh bowl.

#3 2012-08-05 21:54:10

Only three and a half hours to wait.

#4 2012-08-06 02:15:21

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I have to admit, I'll be watching. 1:30 am EST is the scheduled landing on the surface.

I forget exactly why I missed the moon landing but probably had something to do with watching paint dry. Forty odd years later, some odder than others, it's the same old shit.

The options this evening were punch another crater in Mars or watch control room geeks pop their corks, all remotely, no pitchers, unless you count one 64x64px, 1969 vintage b&w. Whoopdeefuckingdo.

Last edited by choad (2012-08-06 05:34:18)

#5 2012-08-06 07:51:01

At least we are not trying to bring clean drinking water to places with none. Also, I am very pleased that none of the 2.5 billion went to research to prevent war and disease. What this world really needs is a few pictures of some rocks dug up by a fancy shovel.

Water temp in Il is nearing 100 degrees and the fish population is dying.

Last edited by Bigcat (2012-08-06 07:52:11)

#6 2012-08-06 08:06:19

BC, if you want to prevent war & human disease, all you have to do is wipe out the human species.  With a war.  Or disease.

This whole "7 minutes of terror" was a genius piece of PR, as the average American's attention can only be held by the potential for catastrophe.  As far as I'm concerned, as long as NASA gets funding and we continue to advance science, then they can send up a couple more, painted like NASCAR, and have beer companies sponsor races on Mars.  Or maybe have them get in to a couple bitch fights over another rover with fake tan and frosted tips.

#7 2012-08-06 08:39:15

Bigcat wrote:

At least we are not trying to bring clean drinking water to places with none. Also, I am very pleased that none of the 2.5 billion went to research to prevent war and disease. What this world really needs is a few pictures of some rocks dug up by a fancy shovel.

I can't fault your sentiments, in fact I share them. Unfortunately cutting the NASA budget won't make a noticeable dent in the federal budget, unless you think saving (very roughly) .05% of the federal budget is worth foregoing a trip to Mars for.

There's very little research that needs to be done in the field of preventing war and disease. The fact of the matter is that there's no money in preventing war or disease but there is a very great deal of money in selling weapons and pharmaceuticals.  No one ever got rich purifying drinking water either, so until that changes or we make proof of being neither greedy nor stupid a mandatory requirement for public office nothing much is  going to change. Even suggesting something as obviously helpful as that fat people forgo meat one day a week is enough to get you into serious trouble in Washington these days.

Edit: Just for fun, I searched the Fox News site for any stories about  dying fish. There's no mention of that at all, so it MUST be a hoax. They report, you decide.

Last edited by Tall Paul (2012-08-06 08:47:06)

#8 2012-08-06 09:24:12

XregnaR wrote:

BC, if you want to prevent war & human disease, all you have to do is wipe out the human species.  With a war.  Or disease.

This whole "7 minutes of terror" was a genius piece of PR, as the average American's attention can only be held by the potential for catastrophe.  As far as I'm concerned, as long as NASA gets funding and we continue to advance science, then they can send up a couple more, painted like NASCAR, and have beer companies sponsor races on Mars.  Or maybe have them get in to a couple bitch fights over another rover with fake tan and frosted tips.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pocono-10- … ascar.html

Hahahaaa

#9 2012-08-06 09:25:33

Tall Paul wrote:

Bigcat wrote:

I can't fault your sentiments, in fact I share them. Unfortunately cutting the NASA budget won't make a noticeable dent in the federal budget, unless you think saving (very roughly) .05% of the federal budget is worth foregoing a trip to Mars for.

There's very little research that needs to be done in the field of preventing war and disease. The fact of the matter is that there's no money in preventing war or disease but there is a very great deal of money in selling weapons and pharmaceuticals.  No one ever got rich purifying drinking water either, so until that changes or we make proof of being neither greedy nor stupid a mandatory requirement for public office nothing much is  going to change. Even suggesting something as obviously helpful as that fat people forgo meat one day a week is enough to get you into serious trouble in Washington these days.

Edit: Just for fun, I searched the Fox News site for any stories about  dying fish. There's no mention of that at all, so it MUST be a hoax. They report, you decide.

http://news.yahoo.com/thousands-fish-di … 28110.html

#10 2012-08-06 11:32:40

Bigcat wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/thousands-fish-die-midwest-streams-heat-183228110.html

Thanks, but I read the AP article from another source. I had no doubt it was true, just as I had no doubt that Fox wouldn't publish it. If there's anything worse than government-run media it's government-wannbe-run media.

#11 2012-08-07 08:35:17

Bigcat wrote:

At least we are not trying to bring clean drinking water to places with none. Also, I am very pleased that none of the 2.5 billion went to research to prevent war and disease.

Keep in mind that we are exploring an area which is believed to have held water at some point thus presenting the possibility of a living organism of some sort.  As an a-vowed omnivore well-stocked with sauces and herbs, I wholly support this endeavor.

#12 2012-08-07 09:28:18

Decadence wrote:

Bigcat wrote:

At least we are not trying to bring clean drinking water to places with none. Also, I am very pleased that none of the 2.5 billion went to research to prevent war and disease.

Keep in mind that we are exploring an area which is believed to have held water at some point thus presenting the possibility of a living organism of some sort.  As an a-vowed omnivore well-stocked with sauces and herbs, I wholly support this endeavor.

Well, if you're just looking for something to put in the crock pot then.... I agree.

#14 2012-08-08 09:26:23

Funny, I would have used different symbols to indicate "man".

#15 2012-08-08 09:43:27

Are you Kanamit? No.  So how the fuck would you know, eh mister smarty goober?

#16 2012-08-08 13:57:41

XregnaR wrote:

Are you Kanamit? No.  So how the fuck would you know, eh mister smarty goober?

How do you know I can't read Kanamit?

#17 2012-08-08 14:17:25

GooberMcNutly wrote:

How do you know I can't read Kanamit?

I've read your posts.  Let's focus on English shall we?

#18 2012-08-08 17:12:57

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Funny, I would have used different symbols to indicate "man".

https://cruelery.com/uploads/21_509th_patch_alien.gif

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#19 2012-08-09 23:26:48

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/62170000/jpg/_62170599_deck.jpg

I think we can afford to do this, no matter what other screaming evil the government might waste money on.

#20 2012-08-09 23:33:13

Is something happening on Mars? Why does anyone care? It's too fucking cold. There's no air. It's a long ways away. Must I remind you that Star Trek is a television show? Sending people to space is bad for their bodies. Besides, the answer to overcrowding is death without renewal. And anyways, there's nowhere to really go. Nothing to breathe. It's too fucking cold. And it's a long ways away.

#21 2012-08-09 23:42:18

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Is something happening on Mars? Why does anyone care? It's too fucking cold. There's no air. It's a long ways away. Must I remind you that Star Trek is a television show? Sending people to space is bad for their bodies. Besides, the answer to overcrowding is death without renewal. And anyways, there's nowhere to really go. Nothing to breathe. It's too fucking cold. And it's a long ways away.

TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER.

#22 2012-08-09 23:45:31

Hubble deep field is cool.....  The rest of the space program is worthless.

#23 2012-08-10 01:33:31

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

So, some sort of rover would be in order?

#24 2012-08-10 02:12:23

Tall Paul wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

He's just jealous b/c Canada has long since piggy-backed on America. 

"I shot myself in the foot and a moose nearly trampled me to death.  Just go wait for a government doctor.  He'll be able to see you in about 3-4 months."

#25 2012-08-10 03:20:37

Egoist wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

He's just jealous b/c Canada has long since piggy-backed on America. 

"I shot myself in the foot and a moose nearly trampled me to death.  Just go wait for a government doctor.  He'll be able to see you in about 3-4 months."

Spreading ignorant, hillybilly misinformation about the Canadian health care system is classic right-wing puppet-douchery. Talk to Americans who fled your shitty American life - Canada's health care system deals promptly with emergencies and efficiently with non-urgent medical needs. Delays in receiving medical attention - not to mention a complete inability to receive medical attention - are endemic to the United States, along with crushing poverty, racial strife, an unresolved civil war, bad education and resultant mass ignorance, of which you are a product. Go back to school, little boy.

#26 2012-08-10 09:49:29

Tall Paul wrote:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/6 … 9_deck.jpg

I think we can afford to do this, no matter what other screaming evil the government might waste money on.

Is this the NASA equivalent of taking a picture of yourself in the mirror for your Facebook page?

If the rover is going to keep taking pictures of it's self they could have NASCARed it with Nike, Coke and Virgin logos and have it paid for with sponsor money. It's not like that would detract from the science mission. At least half of the $2B would be covered.

#27 2012-08-10 10:19:56

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Is this the NASA equivalent of taking a picture of yourself in the mirror for your Facebook page?

Nope.  No duckface.

#28 2012-08-10 16:01:01

Tall Paul wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Yeah...some sort of rover is definitely in order.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8k27iMOHl1rujiu6o1_400.jpg

#29 2012-08-10 16:25:24

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

I disagree. For all the things the US does waste money on - our bloated military budget, farm subsidies, ridiculous tax loopholes that benefit those who need it least - space research is important. Partially, I feel that way because money spent on learning and research is rarely a bad thing (Do note I said "rarely"). Even more, however, is that advances in technology that come from this kind of research eventually lend themselves to wider use and consumption, benefiting the general population. Finally, I'm just moved by simply being able to see pictures of a place so remarkably far away, so alien to my own experience.

#30 2012-08-10 16:31:21

I haven't really been obsessed with either the Olympics or Curiousity's landing, but I do grok this:

http://i.imgur.com/SWzPa.jpg

#31 2012-08-10 17:12:33

Taint wrote:

Even more, however, is that advances in technology that come from this kind of research eventually lend themselves to wider use and consumption, benefiting the general population.

I dunno, bug juice don't seem near enough.

#32 2012-08-10 17:13:19

Taint wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

I disagree. For all the things the US does waste money on - our bloated military budget, farm subsidies, ridiculous tax loopholes that benefit those who need it least - space research is important. Partially, I feel that way because money spent on learning and research is rarely a bad thing (Do note I said "rarely"). Even more, however, is that advances in technology that come from this kind of research eventually lend themselves to wider use and consumption, benefiting the general population. Finally, I'm just moved by simply being able to see pictures of a place so remarkably far away, so alien to my own experience.

Yes, Taint. I know, and I agree. I just wanted to write what I wrote, because really, it is cold out there, and a long, long ways away. But when I was eight I was up before dawn, my nose glued to the rolling, flickering, b&w TV - to watch every moment of the moon landing. When I took my first uni courses four years later I was the youngest-ever member of the UBC sci-fi club. Five years after that I published my first sci-fi story - and I continue to dabble. I do want space travel. I do want space colonies. I even want a tribble. Mostly, I want to poke my ass out the porthole of a rocket ship and shoot a long stream of diarrhoea at Betelgeuse, knowing that someday it might arrive in a big brown splash and horrify the autochthones.

#33 2012-08-10 17:21:05

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Spreading ignorant, hillybilly misinformation about the Canadian health care system is classic right-wing puppet-douchery. Talk to Americans who fled your shitty American life - Canada's health care system deals promptly with emergencies and efficiently with non-urgent medical needs. Delays in receiving medical attention - not to mention a complete inability to receive medical attention - are endemic to the United States, along with crushing poverty, racial strife, an unresolved civil war, bad education and resultant mass ignorance, of which you are a product. Go back to school, little boy.

It's sad you actually believe all of that. 

You also seem to forget that more Canadians move to America than vice-versa at nearly 5 to 1.

#34 2012-08-10 17:27:31

choad wrote:

...  bug juice don't seem near enough.

RAH kind of bug juice?

#35 2012-08-10 17:33:59

Fid

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

I don't think it's limited to the right-wing and yes we are swirling more rapidly down the toilet.

#36 2012-08-10 17:37:04

Egoist wrote:

I believe it because it's true, little boy. Many of my closest friends are ex-Americans. None of them desires to return to the States, and our efficient and comprehensive medical system is one of the main reasons why. Sure, there are problems, but nothing like the problems the average person has in the States. Canadians love their health care system, and continue to oppose privatization. Canada's other big draw for ex-yanks is that there are fewer people like you up here. Ignorance abounds everywhere, but America is the growth capital of stupidity.

#37 2012-08-10 17:41:10

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Egoist wrote:

I believe it because it's true, little boy. Many of my closest friends are ex-Americans. None of them desires to return to the States, and our efficient and comprehensive medical system is one of the main reasons why. Sure, there are problems, but nothing like the problems the average person has in the States. Canadians love their health care system, and continue to oppose privatization. Canada's other big draw for ex-yanks is that there are fewer people like you up here. Ignorance abounds everywhere, but America is the growth capital of stupidity.

Health care is a moot point at this juncture, both Obama and Romney support it; everyone is just going to accept the fact that all of the great nations now have National Health Care.

#38 2012-08-10 18:25:31

choad wrote:

Taint wrote:

Even more, however, is that advances in technology that come from this kind of research eventually lend themselves to wider use and consumption, benefiting the general population.

I dunno, bug juice don't seem near enough.

The creator of Tang, William A. Mitchell, also invented Pop Rocks, Cool Whip, a form of instant-set Jell-O, and other convenience foods.

Civilization collapsed shortly thereafter.

#39 2012-08-10 22:21:51

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Egoist wrote:

Ha none of it's true.  You're one of THOSE types of Canucks who can only identify themselves by being as anti-American as possible.  If you're circlejerk groupthink friends started to believe breathing was too American, you'd picket parliament to have it outlawed.  Canada itself is a generally nice but it's kind of like that not-as-successful kid brother who can never live up to it's southern neighbor. 

You live in a bubble.  You surround yourself with other tinfoil asshats who only share and reinforce your delusional views.

Yeah you plebes sure do love your system but your ruling class?  They routinely come to America for superior treatment (on your dime no less).  http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-l … t-201.html  So what your rulers get, I get too.

Berlusconi had heart surgery in Cleveland, Saudi Arabia's king abdullah goes to Mayo Clinic for his treatment.  The list goes on. 

The first Canadian I met in Vancouver was a cabby.  He told me he loved BC because of the age of consent laws there.  He was telling me a story about he got away with banging a 13 year old from a club because the onus fell upon the ID checker, not him.  Applying your sophistry, one could well assume all of BC's residents, including you, are pedophile rapists. 

If ignorance abounds here then why do we have all the best universities?  No one says "I'm gonna go overseas to Canada for college."  No, they come to America.

Thanks for at least using American English on my American Internet.

#40 2012-08-10 22:22:21

I've always loved model rocketry, things like this make it all worthwhile. And Goober, taking pictures of yourself to see how you are after parachuting on to Mars dangling by a thread might be a good idea, just at first.

#41 2012-08-10 22:37:30

Taint wrote:

choad wrote:

The creator of Tang, William A. Mitchell, also invented Pop Rocks, Cool Whip, a form of instant-set Jell-O, and other convenience foods.

I wondered what caused that.

#42 2012-08-10 22:47:53

opsec wrote:

Taint wrote:

choad wrote:

I wondered what caused that.

It was the fact that Cool Whip allowed rednecks to own salad bowls that did it.

#43 2012-08-11 09:42:33

Tall Paul wrote:

And Goober, taking pictures of yourself to see how you are after parachuting on to Mars dangling by a thread might be a good idea, just at first.

OK, I can concede that. Wouldn't want to go out on the NASA channel without making sure all your antennas are in place.

Seriously though, I died a little inside when I realized that we were dropping a Mini Cooper sized robot on Mars and not a single network would interrupt it's valuable 1:30am infomercials to carry the feed live. Not one.

#44 2012-08-11 15:13:40

Egoist wrote:

Tedious Right-Wing Blather

Another rabid American foaming on about things he knows nothing about is just what we need around here. Oh well - you were entertaining for a minute or two.

#45 2012-08-11 15:17:45

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

And Goober, taking pictures of yourself to see how you are after parachuting on to Mars dangling by a thread might be a good idea, just at first.

OK, I can concede that. Wouldn't want to go out on the NASA channel without making sure all your antennas are in place.

Seriously though, I died a little inside when I realized that we were dropping a Mini Cooper sized robot on Mars and not a single network would interrupt it's valuable 1:30am infomercials to carry the feed live. Not one.

Yeah, but the deal I got on that combo abdomanizer/espresso maker was just too good to pass up.

#46 2012-08-11 17:59:14

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Egoist wrote:

Another rabid American foaming on about things he knows nothing about is just what we need around here. Oh well - you were entertaining for a minute or two.

What's that?  I can't quite hear you as us Americans are too busy dominating the Olympics and putting robots on Mars. 

But again, good on you for being unable to respond with facts.

#47 2012-08-11 20:52:05

Egoist wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Egoist wrote:

What's that?  I can't quite hear you as us Americans are too busy dominating the Olympics and putting robots on Mars. 

But again, good on you for being unable to respond with facts.

We're not dominating in sailing, chum, and that's the sport wealthy soulless bastards are supposed to excel in. What gives?

#48 2012-08-11 23:08:36

[

We're not dominating in sailing, chum, and that's the sport wealthy soulless bastards are supposed to excel in. What gives?

Merely proves we're not soulless bastards.

#49 2012-08-12 01:13:54

Egoist wrote:

[

Merely proves we're not soulless bastards.

And some of us can choose not to be an ass. I especially like the way you deflect the 'wealthy' as you ignore the refutation of your thesis.

#50 2012-08-12 18:53:08

Best Twitter so far re the recent Mars exploration...

Mars looks like a shithole.

Board footer

cruelery.com