#1 2012-10-27 23:51:38

https://cruelery.com/uploads/21_hurricane_sandy.jpg

My gut feeling is that this one is going to deliver.  The top end of Chessie is going to get deep... fortunately the rotation won't be from the south. 

I'm 10 miles away from what may become a mess but about 350 feet above it, so flooding is not a problem but interrruption of power is likely. 

On a positive note, Baltimore and DC may drown.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#2 2012-10-28 00:04:47

I'm smack in the middle of the path.  Literally on the damn red line. 

Fortunately I have an 11,000 watt Honda V-twin generator wired into my house.  Filled it with fuel today, gave it a test run.  And our creek and pond are a good 18 feet lower than our house, down the back of our lot, so not very likely I'll need to break out the canoe.   But I do worry about trees... they tend to fall.  A lot.

#3 2012-10-28 00:11:09

Wogga lives in Maryland, near DC.  That's a reason to hope that area doesn't get flooded out of existence.  She's planning on throwing a huge hurricane party.  When she said she only had 30 bottles of booze, I agreed with her that she needed to make an emergency alcohol run!

#4 2012-10-28 00:29:03

Alcohol, Condoms & Dental Dams.  Happy Hurricane Party!

#5 2012-10-28 01:37:18

The sky is falling!

Media hype.

I am well stocked on alcohol and doritos as well as gas for my generator but I always have these things on hand, I didn't rush out because" they said it would" on Tv.

Mind control bullshit is all it is.  Send the masses into a frenzy.  I live in West Central Pa. and there is a rush on plywood at Lowes. What the fuck?

Better go sight my gun in. Might hafta get muh buck. Doritos only go so far, especially when there is herb in the house.

#6 2012-10-28 05:29:26

We're having our own fun over here. And yeah, I live at sea level. Don't worry - my weed is double-bagged and zipped into the pocket of my emergency survival pyjamas.

#7 2012-10-28 10:56:19

San Antonio is, as usual, completely removed from all the meteorological fun.

Temps did start to drop Friday; it's been in the sixties, which is fun for me since the natives all think that is deadly cold and layer themselves like Arctic explorers.  (I am not kidding.  If you'd been to the grocery store with me yesterday you'd have laughed your asses off at the people there.)  It also means a respite from the fucking mosquitos.

I do, however, have family and friends at the edge of the danger zone (in eastern NC), so I will worry until this is all over.

YOU guys--please take care.  No doubt the media, particularly your locals, are cultivating hysteria, but that doesn't mean you don't have to take the weather seriously.

#8 2012-10-28 11:17:00

My Dad lives in a house about 4 feet above sea level right at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and his house is surrounded by 100 foot tall trees. It's certainly not his first rodeo, but if it rains like it says, the ground can get very soft.

I'm not even worried about my house further up the bay, it's 20+ feet above water, but the pecan trees around it still worry me.

I wouldn't want to have to try to commute in DC about the time it hits though. It's going to be armageddon in the old town tonight!

#9 2012-10-28 11:46:05

GooberMcNutly wrote:

My Dad lives in a house about 4 feet above sea level right at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and his house is surrounded by 100 foot tall trees.

That's probably not ideal.

#10 2012-10-28 11:53:13

Update: I just went outside to get my ciggies out of the car.  THE GRASS AND SIDWALK ARE DAMP/WET! Take cover.

#11 2012-10-28 12:27:27

Bigcat wrote:

Update: I just went outside to get my ciggies out of the car.  THE GRASS AND SIDWALK ARE DAMP/WET! Take cover.

OMG are you all right?!  You should kill your neighbors and salt their flesh for future consumption.  Better safe than sorry!

#12 2012-10-28 13:48:27

George Orr wrote:

Bigcat wrote:

OMG are you all right?!  You should kill your neighbors and salt their flesh for future consumption.  Better safe than sorry!

I'm on it.

Yes, I'm ok. A little scared but, ok.

My sidewalk gets slippery if it is too wet- slips and falls are dangerous. Pray for us.

#13 2012-10-28 18:23:26

Thank you all for your concern, the predicted tsunami did not arrive. Coincidentally, I'm off to dry-dock the boat. I hope that weather system hits the States hard, and that some of you are slightly discomfited by the downpour.

#14 2012-10-28 18:45:21

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Thank you all for your concern, the predicted tsunami did not arrive. Coincidentally, I'm off to dry-dock the boat. I hope that weather system hits the States hard, and that some of you are slightly discomfited by the downpour.

You're quite welcome Wilber!  We're glad you survived a non-event which at best was a maybe, might, possibly occur hypothetical possibility.

#15 2012-10-28 20:21:00

It's beautiful in San Francisco. Just sayin'...

#16 2012-10-28 20:23:45

Taint wrote:

It's beautiful in San Francisco. Just sayin'...

Welcome back Taint.

#17 2012-10-28 23:59:49

opsec wrote:

My gut feeling is that this one is going to deliver.

Isn't this where you post the Sandy Tsunami video and all the innertubes melt?

#18 2012-10-29 01:01:16

choad wrote:

opsec wrote:

My gut feeling is that this one is going to deliver.

Isn't this where you post the Sandy Tsunami video and all the innertubes melt?

You should be taking this a little more seriously.  There is a great deal of dampness outside of my house. By morning I am expecting a pounding drizzle and a nasty little breeze.

#21 2012-10-29 01:49:21

Bigcat wrote:

You should be taking this a little more seriously.  There is a great deal of dampness outside of my house. By morning I am expecting a pounding drizzle and a nasty little breeze.

Lookit the map. They're giving us a pass. North, south, and west meanwhile get hammered. Doesn't get any better.

Last edited by choad (2012-10-29 01:51:13)

#22 2012-10-29 11:21:37

Sorry to hear all you nor'easters are going to get pounded.  Here we are suffering through a week of 77 degree weather, sunshine, calm winds.  Ah, California, for all your faults you still offer great weather.

#23 2012-10-29 16:42:44

Weather update. Sharp gusts but balmy. Small craft warning. Some rain, not much. No traffic. It's nice.

#24 2012-10-29 17:05:36

Keep your weapons handy.  The dirt bags and flash mobs are tweeting up an epic looting spree.

#25 2012-10-29 17:30:30

phreddy wrote:

Keep your weapons handy.  The dirt bags and flash mobs are tweeting up an epic looting spree.

And so they should - this is their time to shine. In a society that promotes material gain while sequestering most of the wealth in a very few hands, any chance to loot should and will be taken with an immense measure of glee. Go looters!

#26 2012-10-29 17:44:15

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

phreddy wrote:

And so they should - this is their time to shine. In a society that promotes material gain while sequestering most of the wealth in a very few hands, any chance to loot should and will be taken with an immense measure of glee. Go looters!

Yeah, all those super rich shop owners down in the low rent district.  Those greedy bastards trying to eke out a living while surrounded by lawlessness.  But, who cares, most of them are foreigners anyway.

#27 2012-10-29 18:58:25

One can always expect niggers, spics, and wigger trash to loot during a disaster.  Especially the niggers; these amoral humanoid animals do not reason the way humans do, lack impulse control, and aren't able to think through the long term consequences of their actions.

#28 2012-10-29 19:05:50

phreddy wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Yeah, all those super rich shop owners down in the low rent district.  Those greedy bastards trying to eke out a living while surrounded by lawlessness.  But, who cares, most of them are foreigners anyway.

I'm sure they're all buying insurance as we speak. And if the pillaging- proper doesn't come off organically don't worry - all you need is three looters to constitute a formal riot. Arm Chundra, Ubang and Titgrunth with gas and a match and your poor little retailers will be spending Christmas on the Cote d'Azure. In the meantime, there's nothing like high winds and civil commotion to make uncle Wilber happy.

#29 2012-10-29 19:09:41

Mist has condensed into a steady rain. There is real wind now. Light flickered.

Not apocalyptic but not picnic weather.

I still thing my memories of Frankenstorm will be -cold and soggy- not- "Oh my Fucking God I Can't believe I survived."

Overhyped.

#30 2012-10-29 20:20:59

Wind howling. Stream flooding but not too badly. Power out... on generator now.

#31 2012-10-29 20:49:21

I'm enjoying this unplanned holiday in spite of that megalomaniac Bloomberg sending me text alerts every six hours.  I'm in a part of Queens that has never flooded, so I know the text alerts are just his way of saying, "See, I can find you whenever I want to."

#32 2012-10-29 21:02:14

Wind REALLY howling now, more so than I ever think I've ever heard before... gray ghosts of trees swaying broadly in the night... thunks and thuds of things hitting the sides of the house and the roof...  don't think I'll be sleeping tonight.

#33 2012-10-29 21:17:22

whosasailorthen wrote:

Wind REALLY howling now, more so than I ever think I've ever heard before... gray ghosts of trees swaying broadly in the night... thunks and thuds of things hitting the sides of the house and the roof...  don't think I'll be sleeping tonight.

|

Hang tight.

#34 2012-10-29 21:18:42

Taint wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

|

Hang tight.

Thanks.  I'm staying away from windows, just in case.  Not much rain at all, but hellacious wind.

#35 2012-10-29 21:28:21

Just got another "emergency alert" on my cell from Bloomberg.  This just after a big hunk of metal blew off from one of the surrounding buildings onto my doorstep.  I swear, it sounded just like someone threw one of those big aluminum buffet pans against my door.

I think I'll live.

#36 2012-10-29 22:00:40

I want all of ya on the right coast to bunker down, and be safe!  Remember your condoms!

#37 2012-10-29 22:27:30

They always say it sounds like a freight train  when a tornado hits.

I now have freight trains outside.  A series of them.  Loud ones.

#38 2012-10-29 22:48:37

Hey East Coasters. Make a point of posting something - anything - in the morning so we know you survived at least that long. If you don't post, we'll assume you're dead and begin hacking your private information for our own financial gai- I mean: be safe!

#39 2012-10-29 23:14:53

whosasailorthen wrote:

They always say it sounds like a freight train  when a tornado hits.

I now have freight trains outside.  A series of them.  Loud ones.

Nah, Tornadoes sound like the end of the world, Hurricanes (& Cyclones) sound like uber-big ugly storms.  Not even in the same ballpark...

#40 2012-10-29 23:47:58

Taint wrote:

Hey East Coasters. Make a point of posting something - anything - in the morning so we know you survived at least that long. If you don't post, we'll assume you're dead and begin hacking your private information for our own financial gai- I mean: be safe!

Full moon, sky mostly clear, wind blowing at 10 knots or less. Pavement is dry. No rain. No snow. No sleet.

#41 2012-10-30 00:12:25

Oh shit:

Last edited by Aude (2012-10-30 00:14:12)

#42 2012-10-30 01:58:19

I have lived through several hurricanes and two tornados. They are distinctly different.  For one, I have never decided to go outside during a tornado. I still don't sleep at night when they throw up the tornado watches around here.

Do be careful, those named storms have been known to spawn a twister or two....

#43 2012-10-30 02:25:15

Earthquakes, Tsunamis and Tornadoes are the most frightening things, the upside is they are usually quite short-lived.  Hurricanes and Typhoons (have done a few of both) however while not nearly as soul-shaking but have the irritating habit of hanging around for hours on end and really fucking shit up.

Worst of all are the fucking Volcanoes, those wanker bastards never stop and fuck shit up forever.

#44 2012-10-30 08:18:12

I'm just glad this one skipped most of Florida. One like this and Citizens insurance would be certifiably bankrupt right before the election. That would shake up some stuff down at the state house.

Still no word from my Dad, he is without power and probably lost cell service as well. He will fire the generator this morning though and probably be back on line.

#45 2012-10-30 09:35:31

glad it wasn't worse. That being said the sheer hype of doom for those tens of millions living in areas on the outer edges of the storm is just disheartning. What is wrong with people when they can't pull it together to deal with a little wind and rain?  Really now a common winter storm produces more hazerdous conditions.

Yesterday afternoon I drove from New York north of NYC through CT to coastal RI. It just was not that bad and never did I feel it was hazerdous enoyugh to slow below 55 mph.

But there was no one on the roads. and I mean no one, as if judgement day had come. It was bizzare. The lack of truck traffic was most notable. Even along East to West highways that did not lead anywheres near the storm. It was emptier than travel on Christmass day.  In addition for 200 miles there were few about in any of the towns. Pretty much all businesses were shut and no office buildings had cars in the lots. It was difficult to find an open gas station or a market. We had to drive though 4 northern CT towns to find anything open with a restroom. Finally locating a Best Western hotel.  And this was in an area that was forcast for 20 mph  winds and light rain.

It tells me that commerce was brought to a standstil for hundreds of miles outside the predicted path. What a waste.

A typical winter storm has more dangerous conditions. During which people and business do not grind to a panic stricken stop for it. We have become a nation of pansies easily swayed by bleating hype. As a community we should have the ability to weather such conditions and deal with the impacts it has on the few amongst us who need assistance.

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2012-10-30 09:39:20)

#46 2012-10-30 10:25:56

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

glad it wasn't worse. That being said the sheer hype of doom for those tens of millions living in areas on the outer edges of the storm is just disheartning. What is wrong with people when they can't pull it together to deal with a little wind and rain?  Really now a common winter storm produces more hazerdous conditions.

Yesterday afternoon I drove from New York north of NYC through CT to coastal RI. It just was not that bad and never did I feel it was hazerdous enoyugh to slow below 55 mph.

But there was no one on the roads. and I mean no one, as if judgement day had come. It was bizzare. The lack of truck traffic was most notable. Even along East to West highways that did not lead anywheres near the storm. It was emptier than travel on Christmass day.  In addition for 200 miles there were few about in any of the towns. Pretty much all businesses were shut and no office buildings had cars in the lots. It was difficult to find an open gas station or a market. We had to drive though 4 northern CT towns to find anything open with a restroom. Finally locating a Best Western hotel.  And this was in an area that was forcast for 20 mph  winds and light rain.

It tells me that commerce was brought to a standstil for hundreds of miles outside the predicted path. What a waste.

A typical winter storm has more dangerous conditions. During which people and business do not grind to a panic stricken stop for it. We have become a nation of pansies easily swayed by bleating hype. As a community we should have the ability to weather such conditions and deal with the impacts it has on the few amongst us who need assistance.

You are exactly right.

We got about 2 inches of rain and some crazy wind. Power was out for about 12 hours.

We have had ice storms here that have leveled forests and took power out for a week in the dead of winter and never made the news.

Fucking media scumbags hype it up to keep you glued to the idiot box, then smile when they give you the "good news" that you survived.

Last edited by Bigcat (2012-10-30 10:27:06)

#47 2012-10-30 10:28:42

My Dad came through better than expected.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/165_dock_at_high_tide.jpg
That "table" out there is a fish cleaning station, normally at elbow height when standing on the dock.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/165_yard_debris.jpg

How close the tidal surge came to the house, about 30 feet to the left of the picture. Another foot of surge and it would have been in the crawl space.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/165_big_tree_down.jpg
But the good news is that the only big tree that fell down, fell right into the woodpile. For once we don't have to chop it up just to move it. If the tree had fallen the other way it would have crushed the garage and sunroom, at a minimum.

My renters had to use the front door because a giant limb was blocking the back door and some siding blew loose. They can't get out because the driveway is still flooded, but the power is on and school is canceled, so they don't care. But now I gotta find someone who can clean that crap up.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/165_377549_432490746798506_551752851_n1.jpg
The town dock about 100 feet from my front door. The dock is about 4 feet under water.

#48 2012-10-30 11:12:31

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

You live in the "post Katrina" world. Ice storms don't attract the national audience that hurricanes do so politicians would rather over-hype a storm than risk being the next Nagin, Blanco, or Bush. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

#49 2012-10-30 11:24:17

Banjo wrote:

You wouldn't know it by watching the TV talking heads hunkering against the wind and rain while sloshing around in their brand new waders.

#50 2012-10-30 11:37:16

phreddy wrote:

Banjo wrote:

You wouldn't know it by watching the TV talking heads hunkering against the wind and rain while sloshing around in their brand new waders.

No wonder the tacos I ate yesterday sucked ass. I somehow took a wrong turn in Waco and ended up in coastal RI. I thought Juan looked awful Jewish to me when I asked for some extra hot sauce.

Board footer

cruelery.com