#3 2012-12-14 14:10:22

Emmeran wrote:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/14/us/connecticut-school-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I hate our current world

Don't despair. These things happen now and then in a free society like America. It's part of being free.
And surely you and Phreddy would agree that as bad as it gets, the world is still filled with beautiful things.

#4 2012-12-14 14:21:10

There have been numerous mass-shootings in England and now even in Norway.  Guns are highly restricted in both those places. 

It's not the guns.  It's the society... violence is glorified and sold every day on TV, in the movies and in video 'games'... and people are becoming more and more cold and numb. 

Get used to it folks.  This is the new reality.

#5 2012-12-14 14:27:18

Please, this is not the appropriate time to talk about this.

And sailor is right--guns are only tangentially related to gun violence.

When I was young, a playmate of mine was bludgeoned to death by an NES 'game' cartridge. I opened his mouth and blew out as much dust as I could, but it didn't work; he was gone.

#6 2012-12-14 14:53:37

whosasailorthen wrote:

It's not the guns.  It's the society... violence is glorified and sold every day on TV, in the movies and in video 'games'... and people are becoming more and more cold and numb.

You're right, it's not the guns, it's the glorification of guns and gun violence, coupled with the fact that any idiot can get one - easily. Yeehaw. Time for the blood of the children to run in the gutters. Hurray for freedom. Of course, it's all too late to roll back, so I agree with you once again. People might as well be cold and numb - it will hurt less when they get shot.

As for international comparisons, the States is clearly the epicentre of gun violence in developed nations. This from Wikipedia:

"The incidence of homicides committed with a firearm in the US is much greater than most other advanced countries. In the United States in 2009 United Nations statistics record 3.0 intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants; for comparison, the figure for the United Kingdom, with very restrictive firearm laws (handguns are totally prohibited, for example) was 0.07, about 40 times lower, and for Germany 0.2.[43]

For another comparison, Switzerland has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world, with somewhere between 1.2 to 3 million guns in the private residences of its approximately 8 million citizens. In 2006 there were 34 recorded murders or attempted murders with a gun, representing a firearm homicide rate of 1 per 250,000."

Given the statistics on Switzerland, perhaps the real lesson here is not about guns, but about civilized, and uncivilized, countries, and the civilized, and uncivilized, citizens they turn out.

Last edited by WilberCuntLicker (2012-12-14 14:55:02)

#7 2012-12-14 15:36:11

I'm not even going to bother getting in to the gun thing again.  The regulars around here all know each other stance, and I doubt any of us are going to switch ides based on this or any other tragedy.

The shooter has been identified as a 26 year old male from New Jersey.  Amongst the dead is the shooter's mother. There is nothing sane about someone who is willing to kill their own parent or children. This is no crime of passion, no spontaneous act.  This is a calculated systematic murder committed by a madman.

We REALLY need to fix the mental health infrastructure in this country, guns or no....

#8 2012-12-14 15:37:53

XregnaR wrote:

We REALLY need to fix the mental health infrastructure in this country, guns or no....

We have a winner.

#9 2012-12-14 16:30:26

I heard a statistic a couple of years ago stating that the U.S. rate of gun violence would be well below those of other western countries, including Canada, if we remove black on black shooting incidents from the data.  Unfortunately, I cannot run it down at present.

Here is a interesting study on the geography of gun violence. Below is a quote from the study which supports my first statement.

Criminologists have noted that crime — especially violent crime — is more likely among young males. Interestingly, this does not appear to be the case according to our analysis of metros. In fact, we find a modest negative correlation between the share of young males and the overall rate of gun death (-.10).

Race, unfortunately and tragically, factors into gun death at the metro level. The share of the population that is black is positively related to both the overall rate of gun death (.56) and even more so with gun-related homicides (.72).   

The rate of gun deaths is negatively correlated with states that ban assault weapons, require trigger locks, and mandate safe storage requirements for guns.

#10 2012-12-14 17:28:53

Why couldn't this have happened in the Uganda parliament during voting on the "Kill The Queers" bill?

#11 2012-12-14 18:07:53

So y'all realize where this idiocy transpired...

Lesbian Sex, Incest, And Video Tape!

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#12 2012-12-14 18:14:11

choad wrote:

Yes, I saw your post.  However, rather than whip the poor folk of Connecticut in a thread titled Lesbian sex, etc, I thought it needed a new thread.

Last edited by phreddy (2012-12-14 18:18:30)

#13 2012-12-14 18:21:40

phreddy wrote:

choad wrote:

Yes, I saw your post.  However, rather than whip the poor folk of Connecticut in a thread titled Lesbian sex, etc, I thought it needed a new thread.

Yeah, agreed.

I know this place is for jedi-level cynics, but this story is really bothering me.

#14 2012-12-14 18:37:43

Htom Sirveaux wrote:

I know this place is for jedi-level cynics, but this story is really bothering me.

My sentiments exactly. 

I don't know what to be more horrified about; the fact that he had an arsenal of legal killing weapons, the fact that he killed his own mother or the fact that he killed 20 innocent children.

#16 2012-12-14 19:07:07

Lip shitz wrote:

I don't know what to be more horrified about; the fact that he had an arsenal of legal killing weapons, the fact that he killed his own mother or the fact that he killed 20 innocent children.

I'll take "innocent children" for 100 points, Alex.

That's why I had to quit being an EMT.  I couldn't take working with seriously injured kids... their pained looks... the fear and shock in their eyes... their plaintive cries... and knowing I couldn't make it 'all better'.  I took every kid home with me at night... it got to be too much.

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2012-12-14 19:10:28)

#17 2012-12-14 19:18:42

No, no, no. The NRA will tell us that knives are just as deadly as guns, so we needn't worry about regulation.

#18 2012-12-14 19:36:13

https://cruelery.com/uploads/18_sandyhook.jpg

#19 2012-12-14 19:56:51

https://cruelery.com/uploads/157_new_normal.jpg

#20 2012-12-14 20:06:35

Htom Sirveaux wrote:

No, no, no. The NRA will tell us that knives are just as deadly as guns, so we needn't worry about regulation.

That's a big part of the problem. The NRA is no longer an association of the nation's rifle owners, it's a goldmine. Restrictions on gun ownership are less important than not impeding the flow of donations. Back in the Regan days, the leash came off the hucksters who wanted to turn both conservative politics and the government into a money-making proposition. Money saved by turning mental patients out into the streets could be better spent paying corporations to run prisons and anyone who didn't buy for-profit prison stock was a fool. The fourth estate isn't able to help us. Over the years we've ditched the Fairness Doctrine, allowed one person to control every news outlet in any given town. Company owners are now writing laws and buying the legislators needed to pass them into law wholesale. It got so bad that the after PNAC, which had publicly called for 'a new Pearl Harbor', was elected to run the executive branch and the country was attacked in a manner that was copied word for word out of a Tom Clancy novel there was barely a peep. Shit, the American media couldn't even deal with a presidential candidate who based his entire Convention on an out-of-context quote and lied more often than he combed his hair gel. But one thing is certain: now is NOT the time to discuss any of this.

EDIT: 9/11 was copied word for word from two Tom Clancy novels. I wouldn't want to be accused of over simplification.

Last edited by Tall Paul (2012-12-14 20:11:35)

#21 2012-12-14 20:33:41

If there were a bill saying "Osama bin Laden cannot own guns" the NRA would oppose it.

#22 2012-12-14 21:24:26

I'm too old and tired, seen too much misery to go batshit insane like that. 

But...

If I ever decided I needed to go out that way and take as many people as possible with me,  I wouldn't do it in a mall, theater, or school.

I'd shoot up an NRA convention.

#23 2012-12-14 21:37:29

Not me.  When the time comes I'm renting the most expensive damn Ferrari I can afford and taking it out on the West Coast Highway, dropping a brick on the loud pedal and seeing just how long I can keep the fucker on the hard.

#24 2012-12-15 04:25:19

Why did no one here predict this? Was it because we're nowhere near as cynical as we like to think, or did we all just subconsciously know it was going to happen but hoped we were wrong?

#25 2012-12-15 07:12:09

https://cruelery.com/uploads/21_guns_mentalhealth.jpg

#26 2012-12-15 10:09:59

sigmoid freud wrote:

Now THAT is being part of the SOLUTION. Great idea.

#27 2012-12-15 10:11:41

whosasailorthen wrote:

Not me.  When the time comes I'm renting the most expensive damn Ferrari I can afford and taking it out on the West Coast Highway, dropping a brick on the loud pedal and seeing just how long I can keep the fucker on the hard.

You watch too many movies.

I gotcher hard right here.

#28 2012-12-15 10:13:48

Tall Paul wrote:

Why did no one here predict this? Was it because we're nowhere near as cynical as we like to think, or did we all just subconsciously know it was going to happen but hoped we were wrong?

Oh, I saw it coming--I just figured it went without saying.

If the chrilden were armed, this never would have happened. It would have turned out like Ft. Hood--a room full of armed, trained professionals prevented any killing.

Besides, if you ban guns, you're taking them away from the good guys--bad guys won't care that they're illegal. Think of all the shootings that wouldn't have been prevented if good guys didn't have their legal guns.

We need to enforce the laws we have. That way, all these shooters couldn't have had access to their legally acquired firearms.

#29 2012-12-15 10:15:21

Bigcat wrote:

sigmoid freud wrote:

Now THAT is being part of the SOLUTION. Great idea.

Hope you don't mind if I use that quote - whom should I make out the royalty check to?

#31 2012-12-15 16:25:33

There is no more, or no less evil in the world. 

Nowadays;  1) we hear graphic instantaneous reports of every single fucking thing that ever happens, 2) our technological efficiencies have made it possible for a single person to maximize his 'kill potential'.

I personally believe the federal gun law should be 'single load' guns only for civilians.  no barrels under 24"L.  No handguns.  Exceptions only for soldiers and the police. 

Now, here's the fun part;  these gun nuts, who cringe at the thought that there will be any restrictions on building your own arsenal, have this whole dystopian fear that there's gonna be a 'shootin' war' with the gov't.  Their beliefs are centered in the 18th century.  Nowadays, If the gov't wanted to 'wipe you out', they would just do it electronically.  It's much more efficient.

#32 2012-12-15 18:07:18

Lip shitz wrote:

There is no more, or no less evil in the world. 

Nowadays;  1) we hear graphic instantaneous reports of every single fucking thing that ever happens, 2) our technological efficiencies have made it possible for a single person to maximize his 'kill potential'.

I personally believe the federal gun law should be 'single load' guns only for civilians.  no barrels under 24"L.  No handguns.  Exceptions only for soldiers and the police. 

Now, here's the fun part;  these gun nuts, who cringe at the thought that there will be any restrictions on building your own arsenal, have this whole dystopian fear that there's gonna be a 'shootin' war' with the gov't.  Their beliefs are centered in the 18th century.  Nowadays, If the gov't wanted to 'wipe you out', they would just do it electronically.  It's much more efficient.

Bingo - good luck with your Glock vs the Predator

#34 2012-12-16 15:39:34

Htom Sirveaux wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

If the chrilden were armed, this never would have happened. It would have turned out like Ft. Hood--a room full of armed, trained professionals prevented any killing.

Besides, if you ban guns, you're taking them away from the good guys--bad guys won't care that they're illegal. Think of all the shootings that wouldn't have been prevented if good guys didn't have their legal guns.

We need to enforce the laws we have. That way, all these shooters couldn't have had access to their legally acquired firearms.

You and I have danced to this song before, so we know where the other stands. If the principal or school shrink had been armed, they might have been able to stop the further slaughter. Of course arming the kids is not the premise.

As for Ft. Hood, you should know that nobody in that clinic was armed but the perpetrator, trained or otherwise. The military has a funny rule about not carrying around loaded guns on base. Probably because they don't issue Kevlar footwear...

#35 2012-12-16 16:00:26

XregnaR wrote:

Htom Sirveaux wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

You and I have danced to this song before, so we know where the other stands. If the principal or school shrink had been armed, they might have been able to stop the further slaughter. Of course arming the kids is not the premise.

As for Ft. Hood, you should know that nobody in that clinic was armed but the perpetrator, trained or otherwise. The military has a funny rule about not carrying around loaded guns on base. Probably because they don't issue Kevlar footwear...

I'm just not sold on the whole, "if somebody had been armed this might have been prevented or at least limited" argument.  In Texas here, where we're all crazy, yes.  In Connecticut, maybe but, probably not.

This is fiction, but still a valid point.  From The West Wing; the President has been shot and CJ reminds everyone that even the greatest security agents in the world didn't prevent it from happening. 

#36 2012-12-16 16:34:29

Well, all accounts indicate that the principal and school shrink both died trying to charge and stop the attacker.  I'd wager if either of them had been armed, things would have ended a little differently.  Still a tragedy, but maybe a couple less grieving families right now.

#37 2012-12-16 17:01:26

XregnaR wrote:

Well, all accounts indicate that the principal and school shrink both died trying to charge and stop the attacker.  I'd wager if either of them had been armed, things would have ended a little differently.

Let us check this out.  All school principals and guidance counselors should be armed?   

You did get your brains bashed out in the Rangers, hey XregnaR.

#38 2012-12-16 17:13:24

MSG Tripps wrote:

XregnaR wrote:

Well, all accounts indicate that the principal and school shrink both died trying to charge and stop the attacker.  I'd wager if either of them had been armed, things would have ended a little differently.

Let us check this out.  All school principals and guidance counselors should be armed?   

You did get your brains bashed out in the Rangers, hey XregnaR.

Most of the brain damage happened after I got out and discovered the joys of being in my 20s.

Kind of a big leap you made their don'tcha think?  Not all principals, guidance councilors, or any "all" kind of group.  Rather responsible, trained, and yes I'll say it, screened adults who wish to add this to their list of responsibilities.

Do you honestly think that either of these women charged at this guy NOT thinking they wished they had a gun themselves?!?

#39 2012-12-16 17:14:24

This argument reminds me of the "raising taxes is bad for the economy" argument--it keeps getting repeated and repeated, even though there's empirical evidence disproving it.

Look, you know that if guns were ever used to PREVENT violence, it would be thrown in our face every five minutes on Fox. If there was a single incident of a gun in school/concealed carry/whatever actually stopping a mass murder, we'd have been reminded of "The XXXtown Hero" dozens of times since Friday.

We're the only industrialized country pursuing this "more guns = more safety" route; it's clearly not working.

#40 2012-12-16 17:36:22

Quit arguing, guys - it's almost Christmas. In 9 days, with a little careful planning, the argument resolves itself!
http://24.media.tumblr.com/8782f8b6c6aee9717e611d27d05d7629/tumblr_mf5aqcVQMF1rujiu6o1_400.jpg

#41 2012-12-16 17:40:33

Htom Sirveaux wrote:

This argument reminds me of the "raising taxes is bad for the economy" argument--it keeps getting repeated and repeated, even though there's empirical evidence disproving it.

Look, you know that if guns were ever used to PREVENT violence, it would be thrown in our face every five minutes on Fox. If there was a single incident of a gun in school/concealed carry/whatever actually stopping a mass murder, we'd have been reminded of "The XXXtown Hero" dozens of times since Friday.

We're the only industrialized country pursuing this "more guns = more safety" route; it's clearly not working.

[i hate my source]
If you care to peruse the first few pages of any NRA magazine, they provide dozens of easily verifiable stories monthly where people use guns to prevent harm coming to themselves or others.  Oddly, most are from newspapers.
[/i hate my source]

As for the mass murders, do you ever wonder why they pretty much ALWAYS happen in places where the targets are more vulnerable, and either incapable of (children) or prohibited from (factories, malls, etc. gun free zones) being armed?

As for Fox, Well they basically just watch other networks, then try to find a liberal spin to attack. It's not like they actually read papers or do research.

Like I said, we've already danced to this.

Now what I'd really like to see is the NRA lobbyists start pushing for immediate action to rebuild a national mental health infrastructure that could help prevent people who shouldn't get guns from doing so.

#42 2012-12-16 17:42:12

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Quit arguing, guys - it's almost Christmas. In 9 days, with a little careful planning, the argument resolves itself!
http://24.media.tumblr.com/8782f8b6c6ae … o1_400.jpg

You stupid cunt...licker, we're not arguing. We are having civil discourse.

Any Bigcat thread involving deer, THAT'S arguing!

Last edited by XregnaR (2012-12-16 17:43:56)

#43 2012-12-16 18:00:13

By the way ranger, since you're reasonable and because it's hard to run into people who disagree but still listen, here's something you should know about anti-gun people. We're not used to guns, so we're not familiar with them and don't see them as tools. A lot of people look at guns with a mixture of healthy fear and profound distaste. Also, when you make the argument that an armed principal could have prevented that, you're going to touch a nerve--we DO NOT want to live in a country where everyone is packing and there's an arms races with 300 million competitors. You say arm the principal, arm the teachers, and we hear that we're going to be forced to carry these murder devices against our will, and live in a kill-or-be-killed society.

#44 2012-12-16 18:02:04

Couldn't leave it alone...

Guns don't prevent violence. Neither do cops. Both are a deterrent. The primary reason the police deter violence is the fact that they are armed. Even in those countries you would consider civilized because common citizens can't own guns, the ultimate authority used by police is force, by firearm.

Should we get rid of cops?  Should we disarm them too?

Last edited by XregnaR (2012-12-16 18:02:51)

#45 2012-12-16 18:07:06

I'm not saying make anyone carry anything against their will. But allow those that wish to legally.

I'm also not saying that anyone armed on campus could have prevented tragedy, just reduced it. Even if the halls had been patrolled by armed cops, this person could have still killed children.

#46 2012-12-16 18:11:45

XregnaR wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/8782f8b6c6ae … o1_400.jpg

You stupid cunt...licker, we're not arguing. We are having civil discourse.

Any Bigcat thread involving deer, THAT'S arguing!

Hey, I didn't even kick anything in yet......

OK, Here goes: If you start arming school teachers, mall cops, playground supervisors, etc, You will have more fucking shootings than you can shake a fucking stick at. Every other kid that mouths off in school is going to get 2 in his hat from a hard assed, disgruntled math teacher claiming the class was in danger from a looney.

Mall Cops---let us just ponder what would happen giving those fuckers guns.

Hunters( This is for you Ranger) Hunters just suck cocks and should be made to hunt with thier peckers hanging out just to prove they are men. AAAaaand, they shouldn't have guns either.

#47 2012-12-16 18:15:35

Ah the great society - a chicken in every pot and a gun in every hand. I fear that it's several decades too late to back down. You need to start arming your women and children, your cross-walk attendants and your principals, your pastors and your prostitutes. Only when every one of you carries a fully automatic weapon, loaded, with the safety off, will any of you ever be safe again. Whiners like Ahpoo are evolutionary dead ends. Die Zeiten andern sich jetzt.

#48 2012-12-16 18:43:41

Gotta admire their enthusiasm, if not their video editing choices.

Anonymous Attacks Westboro Baptist Church Over Sandy Hook Funeral Protest

#49 2012-12-16 19:07:58

XregnaR wrote:

[i hate my source]
If you care to peruse the first few pages of any NRA magazine, they provide dozens of easily verifiable stories monthly where people use guns to prevent harm coming to themselves or others.  Oddly, most are from newspapers.
[/i hate my source]

I know how you feel. Fox News has hours devoted to the War On Christmas and Karl Rove can still prove that Romney won Ohio. I'm sure fnord has magazines that has pages chock-full of tales of nigger woe in decent neighborhoods. Do those NRA rags also have data about how many accidental shootings, family murders and suicides occur per legitimate defense? If so I'd like to see them.

XregnaR wrote:

Now what I'd really like to see is the NRA lobbyists start pushing for immediate action to rebuild a national mental health infrastructure that could help prevent people who shouldn't get guns from doing so.

Now we have something to agree on. We have been around this dance before so you know I don't want to ban guns, I would just like a few common sense regulations in place. In a country where you can't drive a car without examination and licensing, where marrying anyone you'd like to is considered a direct assault on the Constitution, why are unlicensed concealed automatic weapons that you can hose anyone with so long as you 'feel threatened' such a fetish?

Board footer

cruelery.com