• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » 74th Annual High Street Quasi Civil Gun Abortion Politics Thread

#101 2013-01-17 14:23:03

There are some major downsides for liberals in Obama's unilateral executive orders.  Imagine what could happen if a real right wing conservative was elected.  Nibbling around the edges of our rights cuts both ways.

Executive order:  All women applying for an abortion must submit to the following:

Mental health background check
    10 day waiting period during which her name and intentions will be advertised to allow anyone protesting the procedure an opportunity to intervene.
    Written approval by the father of the fetus and her parents if she is a minor.

The president wouldn't be in violation of Roe v Wade, he would simply be setting "reasonable" conditions to protect the woman and her unborn child.

Now lets talk about immigration, welfare, "earned" income tax credits, affirmative action, voting ID requirements, and on and on.

#103 2013-01-18 08:45:47

Remember Fast and Furious? Well, they finally found their scapegoat. It seems the #2 ATF agent on the scene was personally buying and selling guns involved in F&F and then lying on his Form 4473, an action that would constitute a felony if he caught someone else doing it. I guess some animals really are more equal than others.

#104 2013-01-18 08:49:22

phreddy wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Now that we are "Launching a national dialogue on mental health" and "Reviewing safety standards for gun locks and safes" I feel our children are much more secure at school.

We can install guards at every school however let's be sure to fit them for caskets as part of the on-boarding procedure; naturally they will be the first body to hit the floor.

Very few of these chicken shit pimply-faced cowards would ever engage in a shootout with an armed guard.  They pick schools is because they are easy "gun free" targets.

Tell that to the people at Columbine, they had an armed police officer assigned and on site at the time.

#105 2013-01-18 11:28:27

Emmeran wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

We can install guards at every school however let's be sure to fit them for caskets as part of the on-boarding procedure; naturally they will be the first body to hit the floor.

Very few of these chicken shit pimply-faced cowards would ever engage in a shootout with an armed guard.  They pick schools is because they are easy "gun free" targets.

Tell that to the people at Columbine, they had an armed police officer assigned and on site at the time.

Thanks for bringing that up Em.  Once again you have helped me prove my point. Here's a fact check for you.

The armed guard, Jefferson County Sheriff's Deputy Neil Gardner, was able to engage the killers, keeping them from shooting more victims, and he personally saved dozens of students.

#106 2013-01-18 11:56:00

The Shootin' War Rhapsody - Part 2

He; 'Okay, honey, so that takes care of all the ammunition, now let's count our survival supplies....'

(suddenly, the power goes out)

She; 'Oh....'

He; 'Maybe we should store some water'......

She; 'Good Idea (turning on the faucet), ohhh....there's no water'.

(In the silence of the dead street, a voice comes over a loudspeaker) 'Residents, do not be alarmed, your services have been cut until we've weeded out the criminal, anti-government elements in this neighborhood.  Your cooperation will help bring this matter to a speedy conclusion, and your services can be restored...'

She; 'What are we gonna doooooooo?  How did it all come to this?  Oh my god, I need to go to the bathroom.  Where will we go to the bathrooooooom?'

He; (drawing a bead on the civil servant driving the speaker truck),  'Easy woman, I'm about to bag me a two-pointer'......

#107 2013-01-18 12:01:28

phreddy wrote:

Thanks for bringing that up Em.  Once again you have helped me prove my point. Here's a fact check for you.

The armed guard, Jefferson County Sheriff's Deputy Neil Gardner, was able to engage the killers, keeping them from shooting more victims, and he personally saved dozens of students.

I love you and your low hanging fruit.  So basically he wasn't effective, most of the killing occurred inside where he wasn't and he was at lunch so we need redundancy and there are multiple entrances so we need more deputies to cover all of them.  OK - let's just call it 10 deputies per school for simplicities sake - how many schools are there in Colorado alone?

But anyway let's roll with this idea of yours, which taxes are you going to increase to pay for it Mr. Conservative?  My quick and simple calculations say you are paying $500k ~ $1mm per school in America to roll out this plan.  Keep in mind this doesn't begin to address Universities, Community Colleges or the McDonald's.  And remember to fit those rent-a-cops for caskets up front, after all if you stand in the doorway watching the same kids come and go for 7 years you're going to get a bit complacent, that first bullet will be for the guard/deputy and we've just added one more to the body count.

Let's kick it up a notch, we can let the Dept. of Homeland Security run this program.  It's a good idea to have Federal employees armed and protecting every school, talk about your rush towards an Authoritarian State.

V wrote:

And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be?

#108 2013-01-18 15:48:51

Shouldn't all this shit be up to the individual states and not the Federal Government?  Why do we need a national response to guns?

#109 2013-01-18 16:29:56

Baywolfe wrote:

Shouldn't all this shit be up to the individual states and not the Federal Government?  Why do we need a national response to guns?

States Rights is an interesting topic these days, the world has shrunken with rapid travel and high speed communications.  The state lines are becoming negligible in a world where a small and rather cheap private plane can be had for $20k - you can cross half of the country in a day.  Ideas and messages flow around the world instantaneously and you can purchase anything anywhere if you have enough money.

Not exactly the realities the founding fathers wrote our constitution to deal with.

Besides, when was last time either major party left anything up to the states...

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-01-18 16:31:34)

#110 2013-01-18 17:00:42

Em wrote:

Let's kick it up a notch, we can let the Dept. of Homeland Security run this program.  It's a good idea to have Federal employees armed and protecting every school, talk about your rush towards an Authoritarian State.

I have never advocated placing paid armed guards at schools.  My solution is to arm certain teachers and administrators and train them in police tactics.  They may not stop all of the killing, but they could surely confront the shooter and keep him from indiscriminately executing children. A bonus is that nobody knows who is armed and who isn't, so they cannot be targeted with the first attack.  Common sense says this will work better than restricting the capacity of magazines.  In addition these employees know everyone in the school and would be best equipped to recognize an intruder.  Give them an extra $10,000 per year like they do if a kindergarten teacher gets a masters degree in racial studies.

#111 2013-01-18 17:57:03

phreddy wrote:

I have never advocated placing paid armed guards at schools.  My solution is to arm certain teachers and administrators and train them in police tactics.  They may not stop all of the killing, but they could surely confront the shooter and keep him from indiscriminately executing children. A bonus is that nobody knows who is armed and who isn't, so they cannot be targeted with the first attack.  Common sense says this will work better than restricting the capacity of magazines.  In addition these employees know everyone in the school and would be best equipped to recognize an intruder.  Give them an extra $10,000 per year like they do if a kindergarten teacher gets a masters degree in racial studies.

Nah, common sense says that eventually one of your chosen few will snap as she goes through the change and kill a few people.

And what do you have against reduced capacity magazines, hell we've fought and won entire campaigns with M-1's that had only an 8 round mag? 

And if it's your constitutional right to have a 100-round drum why isn't it your constitutional right to have a few AT-4's, hell they only cost $1500 each - I can afford that.  Where do you draw this arbitrary line of yours?

Or maybe you should just fess up that anything Obama or the Democrats propose will be categorically opposed by you without a moment of consideration. 

And have you ever had to deal with a woman going through the change?

(edit:  Actually it's more likely that the husband of the woman going through the change will snap)

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-01-18 17:57:55)

#112 2013-01-18 18:23:42

Em wrote:

Or maybe you should just fess up that anything Obama or the Democrats propose will be categorically opposed by you without a moment of consideration.

This is a lame argument.  The constitution is there to prevent exactly what is happening this moment.  Without it a hysterical public and a grandstanding congress and president are likely to shove through any number of restrictions on our rights.  You know for a fact that nothing Obama has proposed will prevent the next school shooting.  You and he hang your hats on the hope that the attacker won't have access to any of the hundreds of weapons which are not covered by his ban.  Or you are hoping he runs out of ammunition and forgets to bring along a bag full of 10 round magazines.  This is such an obvious political feel good response, and it is pitifully inadequate for protection of school children.  Meanwhile, we have lost a little more personal liberty.  Fortunately, a vast majority of Americans still believe the constitution and the 2nd amendment are there to prevent tyranny.

#113 2013-01-18 18:41:39

Emmeran wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

States Rights is an interesting topic these days, the world has shrunken with rapid travel and high speed communications.  The state lines are becoming negligible in a world where a small and rather cheap private plane can be had for $20k - you can cross half of the country in a day.  Ideas and messages flow around the world instantaneously and you can purchase anything anywhere if you have enough money.

Not exactly the realities the founding fathers wrote our constitution to deal with.

Besides, when was last time either major party left anything up to the states...

All of this, while interesting and relevant, is beside the point. The goal of the NRA is probably no more complicated than selling the weapons necessary to arm these future guards. Allowing the marketing arm of the armaments industry to set national gun policy is idiotic even by American standards.

#114 2013-01-18 19:25:23

phreddy wrote:

This is a lame argument.  The constitution is there to prevent exactly what is happening this moment.  Without it a hysterical public and a grandstanding congress and president are likely to shove through any number of restrictions on our rights.  You know for a fact that nothing Obama has proposed will prevent the next school shooting.  You and he hang your hats on the hope that the attacker won't have access to any of the hundreds of weapons which are not covered by his ban.  Or you are hoping he runs out of ammunition and forgets to bring along a bag full of 10 round magazines.  This is such an obvious political feel good response, and it is pitifully inadequate for protection of school children.  Meanwhile, we have lost a little more personal liberty.  Fortunately, a vast majority of Americans still believe the constitution and the 2nd amendment are there to prevent tyranny.

Actually I'm more concerned that the Far-right Conservatives (and their NRA cronies) will get their way and further expand the role of their little Homeland Security creation slipping us further down to road to centralized power and a totalitarian state.

Your link only reinforces the quote I posted, it'll be done out of fear.

#117 2013-01-19 22:12:57

Bigcat wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/three-hurt-firearm-accident-north-carolina-gun-show-234451916.html

This shit does my heart good.

HAH!  You admit that firearms serve a perfectly valid Darwinian purpose!

#118 2013-01-20 00:07:42

opsec wrote:

Bigcat wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/three-hurt-firearm-accident-north-carolina-gun-show-234451916.html

This shit does my heart good.

HAH!  You admit that firearms serve a perfectly valid Darwinian purpose!

Oh yes! I am not anti gun, I own some guns. I am anti redneck-gunrights protesting-douchebag-hunter. The nice thing is, if you let them keep the guns, eventually there will be none of them left. It is taking too long for my taste but at least it is something.

#119 2013-01-20 13:57:42

Bigcat wrote:

The nice thing is, if you let them keep the guns, eventually there will be none of them left.

Last edited by George Orr (2013-01-20 13:58:16)

#120 2013-01-21 08:33:44

Bigcat wrote:

I am not anti gun, I own some guns. I am anti redneck-gunrights protesting-douchebag-hunter.

I feel basically the same way except I would be more careful about my generalizations.  I object to your use of 'redneck' and 'hunter'.  These two groups, not-mutually-exclusive, have no dog this new hunt (our new national gun obssession).  They are being sucked into it too. 

They're doing nothing different than what they've done for hundreds of years.  Gun safety/responsibility isn't an abstract itellectual issue to them, it was a matter of life and limb.  Even the most uneducated redneck instinctively knows the first thing you teach a child is 1)how to hold, carry and handle a gun, 2)never point it at anything you are not about to shoot.

Real hunters and most rednecks knows that semi-automatic rifles and handguns are not for hunting.  They are for shooting people, period.  They are weapons of mass destruction.

#121 2013-01-21 10:39:23

Lip shitz wrote:

Bigcat wrote:

I am not anti gun, I own some guns. I am anti redneck-gunrights protesting-douchebag-hunter.

Real hunters and most rednecks knows that semi-automatic rifles and handguns are not for hunting.

I generally agree and I do like to hunt; assault weapons have zero purpose outside of a combat zone.  Handguns actually do have a purpose when hunting, remember once you get deep enough in the bush humans are no longer on top of the food chain.  Particularly if you are bow hunting.

I, however, do not and never have owned a hand gun.  I hunt with a bolt action rifle or a pump action shotgun.  I do have my eye on a match-grade AR-15, the key word being match grade; I'm really only seeking the accuracy and do not feel like fucking around and building one myself.  I could give a shit about magazine capacity or rate of fire as anyone who has shot competitively knows you only load one round at a time anyway. (or two mags of 5 for rapid fire stages)

#122 2013-01-22 15:44:33

The news today is just chocked full of shootings.  My favorite one is the kid in NM who killed his mom and waited for his preacher dad to come home and killed him, then went to his GF house, had dinner and went to church.  The deceased family had a sign out front that said, 'protected by S&W.  Oops!

#123 2013-01-22 15:45:44

We need a sticky thread just devoted to mass shootings.

#124 2013-01-23 09:43:42

Emmeran wrote:

... assault weapons have zero purpose outside of a combat zone.  ...

I do have my eye on a match-grade AR-15, the key word being match grade; I'm really only seeking the accuracy and do not feel like fucking around and building one myself.  I could give a shit about magazine capacity or rate of fire as anyone who has shot competitively knows you only load one round at a time anyway. (or two mags of 5 for rapid fire stages)

Nice way to contradict yourself. That "match grade AR-15" is about as close to a definition of an "assault rifle" as you will find in the media or in the Democrats plan.

Or you could take the stance that "assault rifle" is, be definition, a fully automatic weapon and therefore your (and all) AR-15s are NOT assault rifles.

Which is it?

#125 2013-01-23 10:47:46

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

I do have my eye on a match-grade AR-15, the key word being match grade; I'm really only seeking the accuracy and do not feel like fucking around and building one myself.  I could give a shit about magazine capacity or rate of fire as anyone who has shot competitively knows you only load one round at a time anyway. (or two mags of 5 for rapid fire stages)

Nice way to contradict yourself. That "match grade AR-15" is about as close to a definition of an "assault rifle" as you will find in the media or in the Democrats plan.

Or you could take the stance that "assault rifle" is, be definition, a fully automatic weapon and therefore your (and all) AR-15s are NOT assault rifles.

Which is it?

Look up the tech specs of a match grade rifle

#126 2013-01-23 17:15:49

Emmeran wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Which is it?

Semi-auto: Check
High power cartridge: Check.
High capacity magazine? Check.
Black? Check.

It's only 2 (maybe 4 if you put a new trigger in it) roll pins away from an evil black killing machine.

#127 2013-01-23 17:56:04

If you buy an AR-15 and convert it to full auto, then join a militia, when you're out camping in the woods sitting around the fire in a circle do you polish your own weapon or should you reach over and polish the weapon of the guy next to you?

#128 2013-01-23 22:41:34

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Which is it?

Semi-auto: Check
High power cartridge: Check.
High capacity magazine? Check.
Black? Check.

It's only 2 (maybe 4 if you put a new trigger in it) roll pins away from an evil black killing machine.

It's a bit different than what you are thinking:

https://cruelery.com/uploads/11_colt_match_grade.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-01-23 22:42:06)

#129 2013-01-24 00:17:42

So, does the longer stainless barrel make it more of an evil killing machine or less?

#130 2013-01-24 00:38:32

GooberMcNutly wrote:

So, does the longer stainless barrel make it more of an evil killing machine or less?

I've got a rock in my backyard I can use to kill with also, I just have to get closer.  My take is fairly simple, it should be more difficult to get a gun license than it is to get a drivers license.

Regardless, I doubt that I'll buy it.  I'm in the middle of moving across the continent and looking for a new job; also target shooting is pretty much like golf, you spend a lot of money to do a silly thing and nobody really cares.

#131 2013-01-24 10:14:09

Emmeran wrote:

My take is fairly simple, it should be more difficult to get a gun license than it is to get a drivers license

Where i live, you have to demonstrate proficiency to get an auto license.  You only have to request it, to get a gun permit and that is only for sidearms.  There are no license requirements for shotguns or rifles.

#132 2013-01-24 11:25:05

Lip shitz wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

My take is fairly simple, it should be more difficult to get a gun license than it is to get a drivers license

Where i live, you have to demonstrate proficiency to get an auto license.  You only have to request it, to get a gun permit and that is only for sidearms.  There are no license requirements for shotguns or rifles.

Same here.

#133 2013-01-24 11:45:59

Doesn't make any sense; ergo I hate the NRA.   There has to be a point of reasonability we can reach, however if we don't I'd love to have a Super Cobra to play with.

#134 2013-01-24 12:55:56

I really feel if i had portable shoulder mounted rocket launcher with the nuclear option, that i would feel safer.  My wingnut neighbor would think twice before asking me if he could put teabagger signs next to my property.

#135 2013-01-24 14:00:44

Bigcat wrote:

Lip shitz wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Same here.

All this talk about so-called reasonable restrictions of firearms doesn't touch on the basic point.  If you allow the government to decide, they will keep pressing until eventually they take everything and make us all criminals.  It's already happening in certain cities like D.C.  Here is a case in the news today about a guy who shot a pit bull that was attacking a child.  He's facing significant charges.

#136 2013-01-24 14:10:49

Heres something to ponder - driving a car is not a right.  Bearing arms is.

#137 2013-01-24 14:34:19

Lip shitz wrote:

I really feel if i had portable shoulder mounted rocket launcher  ...

Silly ass shit.

It would be almost worth the money to watch you try.

#138 2013-01-24 15:19:57

MSG Tripps wrote:

Lip shitz wrote:

I really feel if i had portable shoulder mounted rocket launcher  ...

Silly ass shit.

It would be almost worth the money to watch you try.

Hey faggot.

#139 2013-01-24 15:32:00

Bigcat wrote:

Hey faggot.

Pardon.  Were you being spoken to?
Review.

#140 2013-01-24 15:43:39

MSG Tripps wrote:

Bigcat wrote:

Hey faggot.

Pardon.  Were you being spoken to?
Review.

faggot

#141 2013-01-24 18:32:32

Emmeran wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I've got a rock in my backyard I can use to kill with also, I just have to get closer.  My take is fairly simple, it should be more difficult to get a gun license than it is to get a drivers license.

Regardless, I doubt that I'll buy it.  I'm in the middle of moving across the continent and looking for a new job; also target shooting is pretty much like golf, you spend a lot of money to do a silly thing and nobody really cares.

It should be more difficult to be allowed to produce a child than either of those two. 

We're one bad parenting job away from millions more people dying.  Probably in some other country, maybe not.

#142 2013-01-25 15:02:30

Here's a little footnote to this story.  Feinstein's proposed law will exempt all government officials.  As it should be in a country where the government tells you when to jump and how high.

#143 2013-01-25 15:19:15

phreddy wrote:

Here's a little footnote to this story.  Feinstein's proposed law will exempt all government officials.  As it should be in a country where the government tells you when to jump and how high.

When my local USDA meat inspector is exempt from restrictions (presumably because he is less willing to bite the hand that feeds him) but my neighbor the disabled vet is not, I guess some animals really are more equal than others.

#144 2013-01-27 21:50:15

https://cruelery.com/uploads/34_1359339031557-896119554.jpg

#145 2013-01-28 13:45:13

Exactly.  Liberals, love 'em or hate 'em, have been preaching the same sermon since the 1960's. 

Conservatives, love 'em or hate 'em, are either Pro or Anti US Government depending on who is in office.

Robert Heinlein once said, or probably quoted, "Scratch the surface of a Conservative and you'll find someone who supports the past over any future.  Scratch the surface of a Liberal and you'll find a Closet Aristocrat."

#146 2013-01-28 23:54:18

GooberMcNutly wrote:

phreddy wrote:

When my local USDA meat inspector is exempt from restrictions (presumably because he is less willing to bite the hand that feeds him) but my neighbor the disabled vet is not, I guess some animals really are more equal than others.

I downloaded the text of the bill. I will not bore you with the horror that is 133 pages of legalese, but damn near any lawyer ought to conclude that "government officials " are exempted only for, and if, possession of such a weapon is reasonably necessary for the performance of their duties.

I am totally down with that. I seldom need to go armed when inspecting oil wells.

#147 2013-01-28 23:56:35

sigmoid freud wrote:

... "government officials " are exempted only for, and if, possession of such a weapon is reasonably necessary for the performance of their duties.

Well, given that most of them are robbing us fucking blind, it seems like having a gun is 'reasonably' in line with the performance of their 'duties'.

#148 2013-01-29 00:59:03

whosasailorthen wrote:

sigmoid freud wrote:

... "government officials " are exempted only for, and if, possession of such a weapon is reasonably necessary for the performance of their duties.

Well, given that most of them are robbing us fucking blind, it seems like having a gun is 'reasonably' in line with the performance of their 'duties'.

Perfect final post - someone please lock this thread.

#150 2013-02-25 13:27:13

You just violated your own thread lock Em.  Time to move on.  There will be no ban of "assault rifles".

• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » 74th Annual High Street Quasi Civil Gun Abortion Politics Thread

Board footer

cruelery.com