#51 2013-03-26 14:46:21

Fid

At the time the framers of our constitution wrote 'firearms' the choices were muzzle loaded pistols and rifles not devices of multiple destruction available today. To pin ones rights on a limited definition at the time is similar to absolute adherence to the bible.

#52 2013-03-26 15:51:33

Phreddy - the main point is that those of us whom abhor the fanatical now need to stand up and influence the decisions.  We are the ones who think and allowing the loudest voice/largest checkbook to think for us is completely irresponsible.  This isn't a political question or an issue of rights - this is about putting our thinking caps on and finding a responsible solution to a defined risk.

We just had 20 babies double-tapped and our answer is going to be more guns? 

This is America, I think we can do better than that.

#53 2013-03-26 17:17:00

Emmeran wrote:

Phreddy - the main point is that those of us whom abhor the fanatical now need to stand up and influence the decisions.  We are the ones who think and allowing the loudest voice/largest checkbook to think for us is completely irresponsible.  This isn't a political question or an issue of rights - this is about putting our thinking caps on and finding a responsible solution to a defined risk.

I do not disagree.  I believe most gun rights advocates would be more open to reasonable restrictions on firearms ownership if the other side would simply admit the people have the inalienable right to keep and bear arms.  But, we are not in a compromising mood when the anti-gun wackos are out in force attempting to infringe on those rights in every conceivable way.  Before we agree to restrictions, let's all agree on the basic tenets of gun ownership.

#54 2013-03-26 18:08:32

phreddy wrote:

I do not disagree.  I believe most gun rights advocates would be more open to reasonable restrictions on firearms ownership if the other side would simply admit the people have the inalienable right to keep and bear arms.  But, we are not in a compromising mood when the anti-gun wackos are out in force attempting to infringe on those rights in every conceivable way.  Before we agree to restrictions, let's all agree on the basic tenets of gun ownership.

Phred - that battle has been fought and we the gun owners won, it's over; now we must find a way to converse and keep it from running out of control or it might shift back the other direction.

#55 2013-03-26 18:13:20

For what it’s worth - Beyond the inevitable Jarhead v Swabbie argument
I would suggest that all Vets and the other citizens that can do a manual of arms worry more about ourselves and not the right of some Joe Shitbird from bum fuck Georgia/Montana/USA who wants to buy his first semi automatic assault weapon (or his 20th).

#56 2013-03-26 18:42:58

phreddy wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Thanks for the sensible statement, Phred. Now, can you please explain why you think the right to bear arms is absolute? The right of free speech is certainly regulated and it isn't even written as a conditional sentence. Even though I don't want to outlaw all guns, I'd feel better about gun-nut talking points gun rights advocates' arguments if just one could recite the entire Amendment. I'd be even happier if just one more would admit that the purpose of the well-regulated militia was to put down insurrections, not to start them.

#57 2013-03-26 19:00:13

Thank you for at least sort of answering the question Phreddy.

For my part, although I really don't care if you own a gun or not as long as it does not intrude on my own personal freedom, I read the 2nd amendment very differently. It clearly states first "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State," and THEN goes on to say  "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

And for me the key word is "regulated". Many seem to want no regulations whatsoever. This obviously was not the way our forefathers wanted things. Otherwise they would have just said "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". But they did not say that. Regulations are necessary, and gun registration makes perfect sense if you are trying to control the proliferation of illegal guns in our society.

#58 2013-03-27 11:42:36

Em wrote:

I'd be even happier if just one more would admit that the purpose of the well-regulated militia was to put down insurrections, not to start them.

Since the constitution itself does not address your assertion, we must look to the intent on the framers, just as the courts do when the language of the article is unclear.  Here are a few quotes from those framers arguing for passing of the 2nd amendment.  Their message is very clear.  You should research this a little Em.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive.
         ---Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787).

Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of. Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. And it is not certain, that with this aid alone they would not be able to shake off their yokes. But were the people to possess the additional advantages of local governments chosen by themselves, who could collect the national will and direct the national force, and of officers appointed out of the militia, by these governments, and attached both to them and to the militia, it may be affirmed with the greatest assurance, that the throne of every tyranny in Europe would be speedily overturned in spite of the legions which surround it.
         ---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

I ask, who are the militia? They consist of now of the whole people, except a few public officers. But I cannot say who will be the militia of the future day. If that paper on the table gets no alteration, the militia of the future day may not consist of all classes, high and low, and rich and poor...
         ---George Mason arguing for the 2nd amendment

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
             ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

To model our political system upon speculations of lasting tranquility, is to calculate on the weaker springs of the human character.
             ---Alexander Hamilton

#59 2013-03-27 18:26:18

You forgot...

I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government.
---Thomas Jefferson

#60 2013-03-27 18:50:07

You also forgot:

Militia Act of 1792,
Second Congress, Session I. Chapter XXVIII
Passed May 2, 1792,
providing for the authority of the President to call out the Militia

Section 1. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That whenever the United States shall be invaded, or be in imminent danger of invasion from any foreign nation or Indian tribe, it shall be lawful for the President of the United States, to call forth such number of the militia of the state or states most convenient to the place of danger or scene of action as he may judge necessary to repel such invasion, and to issue his orders for that purpose, to such officer or officers of the militia as he shall think proper; and in case of an insurrection in any state, against the government thereof, it shall be lawful for the President of the United States, on application of the legislature of such state, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) to call forth such number of the militia of any other state or states, as may be applied for, or as he may judge sufficient to suppress such insurrection.

#61 2013-03-27 19:25:44

If you want to see modern day rebellion look to Tunisia and Egypt; the world refuses to stand still and continues to evolve.  We need to stay on our toes and evolve with it, harkening to the past is the fast lane to failure.

As pointed out the hallmarks of a well-armed militia include "officers appointed by duly elected local officials", this does seem to particularly specify the National Guard or like organization.  Not a bunch of "I'm in charge" knuckleheads running around with makeshift M249 SAWs.

Getting a grip on the technological changes is a challenge, technology advances have allowed bad people to do really bad things really fast.  All of the latest carnage could never have occurred back when the Constitution and Bill of Rights were penned; respectively we much observe the changes in our world and react accordingly.

It is important that we shake off the desires of Corporate revenue interests and think for our selves; at what price the militarized toy?  Are you willing to take that long walk up to the house to explain how someone's loved one was destroyed by a militarized toy?  Be sure when you are there to explain to the be grieved how all of this benefits them and their rights and your ideology that each and every citizen or wackjob deserves to have the latest in destructive technology , I'm sure that will alleviate their suffering.

How many of those walks are you willing to make?

Also Phreddy - I don't do and will never do sock-puppets.

#62 2013-03-28 17:29:39

#63 2013-03-29 13:42:40

Emmeran wrote:

It is important that we shake off the desires of Corporate revenue interests and think for our selves

You mean like these guys maybe?

#64 2013-03-29 14:22:24

phreddy wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

It is important that we shake off the desires of Corporate revenue interests and think for our selves

Exactly - I believe we should do exactly what the founding fathers intended and allow each and every American to own as many muzzle-loading muskets as they like.  Swords, axes and bows are fine also.

#65 2013-03-29 16:27:44

Yeah, just like the Founding Fathers only allowed militias to carry arquebus' and matchlocks instead of the cutting edge militarily superior Brown Bess.

#66 2013-03-29 16:41:35

Interesting but not really comparable.  Again my argument remains that we pay these fuckers to debate the topic with good faith and common sense - not just to listen to their lobbyists masters.  This is a complex issue which requires thought and thorough discussion for again we are drawing a line and the reasons for that line should be well defined.  If not then I want my knee-mortar!

(on a separate note I ordered a new barrel, stock and forend for my Winchester 1300, should be here next week - all walnut of course)

#67 2013-03-29 18:02:23

Emmeran wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Exactly - I believe we should do exactly what the founding fathers intended and allow each and every American to own as many muzzle-loading muskets as they like.  Swords, axes and bows are fine also.

Even cannons but, probably not in the city limits.

#68 2013-03-29 18:25:26

Emmeran wrote:

Which is not what the founders intended.  They were referencing the latest arms available in modern warfare, which holds true today.  I know you're messing with me Em because we have been through this before.  I say let's call a truce on this subject so RT will come and post again.  Happy Easter (if you actually believe that story).

#69 2013-04-12 19:19:42

G'day 'PussyHurt,
                             Man it's cool, I don't have a persecution complex.  I wish it were so simple, I'd take a pill or go see a shrink.  Trouble is, everywhere you turn these days, there is always some dipstick on their self-appointed crusade to ban this, or control that.
You fellas watch out, Soros may arrange to install Rebecca Peters in the U.S. on a permanent basis.  She'd leave Feinstein and Hillary looking like pro-gunners.

Emmeran,
                 Too bad I can't have something so dangerous as the muzzle-loader you suggested.  Or a crossbow, got to register them on your Weapons Permit here now (how the hell would CSI run a terminal ballistics test on one?). 
States like Victoria, you have to engrave serial markings on a fine old sword, and only for registered collectors to possess, mind you.  Catapults are dangerous weapons, say some.
No, they havn't put axes on a register, yet.  I'm not too sure about rocks!

Phred,
           They only try to distract people by harping on about high-cap detachable magazines, or militaristic appearance of some guns. The scum want everything, and will settle for no less!
I know this to be true, I live such a life after all the bullshit about 'sensible' or 'reasonable' controls.  Man, I wonder where their fervour originates?  Maybe the likes of Bloomberg got sand kicked into his little-lunch sandwich in kindergarten?

Board footer

cruelery.com