• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » The Bush-Obama-Trump Whitehouse - Your privacy down the shitter

#1101 2017-03-04 02:13:35

No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

In that election year, in September 2006, the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND), Germany's foreign intelligence agency, took an interest in the journalist's work. Agents included Zajtman's two Congolese telephone numbers in the agency's surveillance list as so-called "selectors." . . .

The Belgian journalist isn't the only reporter who was spied on. According to documents seen by SPIEGEL, the BND conducted surveillance on at least 50 additional telephone numbers, fax numbers and email addresses belonging to journalists or newsrooms around the world in the years following 1999.

Included among them were more than a dozen connections belonging to the BBC, often to the offices of the international World Service. The documents indicate that the German intelligence agency didn't just tap into the phones of BBC correspondents in Afghanistan, but also targeted telephone and fax numbers at BBC headquarters in London.

#1104 2017-03-15 05:49:40

Republicans move to kill off privacy rules; advertisers cheer.

If the FCC rules are eliminated, ISPs would not have to get consumers' explicit consent before selling or sharing Web browsing data and other private information with advertisers and other third parties. The FCC issued the rules when it was led by a Democratic majority last year.

#1105 2017-03-15 05:59:12

Prepare to bend over and take it.

Data provided by the Department of Homeland Security shows that searches of cellphones by border agents has exploded, growing fivefold in just one year, from fewer than 5,000 in 2015 to nearly 25,000 in 2016.

According to DHS officials, 2017 will be a blockbuster year. Five-thousand devices were searched in February alone, more than in all of 2015.

#1106 2017-03-15 06:05:30

You can't have nosy reporters knowing how they're spied on - that might prevent the FBI from breaking the law.

A federal judge is agreeing with the FBI's contention that publicly disclosing its methods on how it spies on journalists could hamper national security.

A Freedom of Information Act lawsuit brought by the Freedom of the Press Foundation sought FBI procedures surrounding the agency's protocol when issuing National Security Letters (NSLs) against members of the media. . . .

The suit came two years after The Associated Press revealed that the Justice Department had secretly seized telephone records for as many as 20 lines used by the AP's reporters and editors as part of an investigation in 2013 into the leak of a Yemeni-based terror plot. The DOJ has also investigated phone records of a Fox News correspondent as well as a Washington Post reporter.

As part of the fallout, the Justice Department updated its media guidelines in 2013 and set new standards about when subpoenas could target journalists. But those rules did not address NSLs.

#1107 2017-03-15 14:51:01

square wrote:

You can't have nosy reporters knowing how they're spied on - that might prevent the FBI from breaking the law.

A federal judge is agreeing with the FBI's contention that publicly disclosing its methods on how it spies on journalists could hamper national security.

A Freedom of Information Act lawsuit brought by the Freedom of the Press Foundation sought FBI procedures surrounding the agency's protocol when issuing National Security Letters (NSLs) against members of the media. . . .

The suit came two years after The Associated Press revealed that the Justice Department had secretly seized telephone records for as many as 20 lines used by the AP's reporters and editors as part of an investigation in 2013 into the leak of a Yemeni-based terror plot. The DOJ has also investigated phone records of a Fox News correspondent as well as a Washington Post reporter.

As part of the fallout, the Justice Department updated its media guidelines in 2013 and set new standards about when subpoenas could target journalists. But those rules did not address NSLs.

Right. And in doing so, they are simply begging for, and authorizing the next Ed Snowden, or Wikileaks disclosure. Their games, dishonesty and, at times, blatant illegality necessitate and determine the tactics from the other side. The game continues.

#1108 2017-03-15 15:20:20

Time to break out that old Nokia flip.

#1109 2017-03-16 01:10:07

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C67pdPnWgAAhpAH.jpg

#1110 2017-03-18 07:21:43

At least somebody looks set to kick up a fuss over reauthorizing some spying powers.

Sen. Ron Wyden wrote:

To begin with, all that collection does not stay at the National Security Agency. All the e-mails collected through the PRISM component of section 702 go to several other agencies, including the C.I.A. and the F.B.I. Then you have those three agencies in particular authorized to conduct searches through all the data for communications that are to, from, or about Americans. Look for an American's name, telephone number, e-mail address, even a key word or phrase. They can do that without any warrant. There doesn't have to be even a suspicion, even a suspicion that an American is engaged in any kind of wrongdoing.

The F.B.I.'s authorities are even broader. The F.B.I. can also conduct searches for communications that are to, from, or about an American to seek evidence of a crime. Unlike the National Security Agency and the Central Intelligence Agency, the F.B.I. doesn't even report how many searches for Americans it's conducting. Moreover, neither the F.B.I. Nor the C.I.A. Reports on the number of searches for Americans it conducts using metadata collected under section 702.

#1111 2017-03-18 07:27:41

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Time to break out that old Nokia flip.

Not a bad idea.

"Web browsing and app usage history are not 'sensitive information,'" CTIA said in a filing with the Federal Communications Commission yesterday. CTIA is the main lobbyist group representing mobile broadband providers such as AT&T, Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile USA, and Sprint.

#1112 2017-03-19 19:56:39

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/digitalsnoop.png

~ click ~

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#1113 2017-03-24 01:51:28

London police outsource snooping to India.

The allegations were made by an anonymous individual who says the unit worked with Indian police, who in turn used hackers to illegally obtain the passwords of the email accounts of the campaigners, and some reporters and press photographers.

The person, who says he or she previously worked for the intelligence unit that monitors the activities of political campaigners, detailed their concerns in a letter to the Green party peer Jenny Jones. The peer passed on the allegations to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), which is investigating.

Hacked passwords were passed to the Metropolitan police unit, according to the writer of the letter, which then regularly checked the emails of the campaigners and the media to gather information. The letter to Jones listed the passwords of environmental campaigners, four of whom were from Greenpeace. Several confirmed they matched the ones they had used to open their emails.

#1114 2017-03-28 18:27:54

I'm nearly speechless. We are simply cattle here for the slaughter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the … otections/

#1115 2017-03-29 20:04:11

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/google.jpg

Congress Sold Our Search Histories, So Let’s Buy Theirs.

#1116 2017-03-29 20:53:53

That's the third person/entity that I've heard about today who's preparing to buy up Congress's browsing history.  I just hope at least one of them follows through.

#1117 2017-03-30 01:52:29

It might be more fruitful to target Neil Gorsuch instead.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/Reagan_with_Robert_Bork_1987.jpg/396px-Reagan_with_Robert_Bork_1987.jpg

#1118 2017-04-05 13:26:13

http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Beller-TheresNowheretoHideontheInternet.gif
The coder Dan Schultz released a search randomizer called Internet Noise, which offers a way of veiling one’s real interests online.

This is brilliant; rather than try to stop them from seeing what you are doing online, give them so much to look at that they can't separate the garbage from the diamonds. I'm running it in a tab right now; word to the wise; mute the volume -- some of the sites have soundtracks.

https://slifty.github.io/internet_noise/index.html

"Click this button, and your browser will start passively loading random sites in browser tabs. Leave it running to fill their databases with noise. Just quit your browser when you're done."

I found this gem here:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur … picks=true

#1119 2017-04-05 17:42:30

Interesting, but we have pretty good statistical analysis these days that are great at filtering patterns out of noise.

#1120 2017-04-05 17:58:49

You said "we have..." rather than "they have..." Goober. Are you one of those guys who's looking at what I masturbate to?

Sure. This first pass is pretty simplistic, and I suspect not too hard to defeat. But there's no reason that it couldn't be made to be more effective, and a better mimic of actual human browsing activity.

For example, I think users should be able to add their own key words, which might be close to but different from things they actually search for, or sites they actually visit. And the program could easily be configured to spend random and unequal amounts of time at each visited site. You easily filter out the results of "Internet Noise" as it is currently configured simply by ignoring any site where the visit was for less than ten seconds.

This is war, and it shouldn't be expected that any innovation will work forever because each innovation sets up the next round of countering tactics.

I think the important thing is to fight back; to make it as difficult as possible for them to track you. I use a variety of techniques, and am exploring new ones all the time. I don't expect perfection, or anything close to perfect privacy. But I do expect to make it difficult and expensive to track me, and that I can blur the picture as a result of my efforts.

I also followed the suggestion at the Internet Noise site and installed HTTPS Anywhere. I clear my cookies as soon as I leave a page (Self Destructing Cookies). I don't use Windows, which helps. I run with Javascript disabled by default. I use an aggressive ad blocker. I've never tried TOR, but I'm considering giving it a try.

Last edited by Smudge (2017-04-05 18:09:55)

#1121 2017-04-05 18:50:28

Look - just create BS images called "Trump sucking donkey cock.avi", drop store it and AWS search it.

Pretty quick "Trump sucking donkey cock" becomes a top search term (yes I know there is a lot more work involved than that).

You have to play like them if you wish to humiliate them...

#1122 2017-04-08 13:41:45

I've been checking out Opera because of the free VPN which comes installed by default. So far, I have nothing but praise for the browser; my surfing is fast, and I haven't found myself locked out of any sites. I can see no downside, and I believe that everything I do in the browser is now out of the view of prying eyes (including those of my ISP).

I have been leaving the VPN enabled all of the time (although, it can be turned off or on with a single click).

I understand that Netflix will not work with a VPN connection, but that is of no concern to me as I don't use Netflix (and a simple toggle would solve that problem anyway).

Does anyone else here use Opera? Does anyone have any insights or comments to share?

#1123 2017-04-09 22:40:42

The war on free speech continues.  The good news seems to be that it is being waged so ineptly that the summons was withdrawn - this time, anyway.

The Trump administration is demanding Twitter expose the anonymous account holder behind the @ALT_uscis handle that has been critical of the US president's immigration policy. . . .

The Customs and Border Protection agency, which is seeking to unmask the account holder, issued Twitter a summons, unsigned by a judge, citing a section of federal law granting border officials the power to investigate importation taxes. Twitter is refusing to unmask the account holder, saying the government is "abusing" its authority by making the demand without a legal basis.

#1124 2017-04-14 23:09:12

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/magnet.png

Ad Blocking Ad Magnets

#1125 2017-04-20 01:23:25

Spooks push for renewal of section 702, drop pants around their ankles.

A new factsheet by the NSA and FBI has laid bare ludicrous contradictions in how US intelligence agencies choose to interpret a law designed to prevent spying on American citizens, but which they use to achieve exactly that end.

• While noting that the law specifically bans the gathering of information on US citizens, it then defends both the gathering and retention of information on US citizens.

• While claiming that its procedures severely limit the amount of information that is gathered on individual US citizens, it claims to be unable to provide even an estimate as to how many US citizens' records are in its database.

• While noting it is illegal to specifically target US citizens using their personally identifiable information without a warrant, it then argues why it should be allowed to continue searching US citizens' personally identifiable information without a warrant.

• And while claiming that it does not use the law to undertake mass surveillance or bulk collection of information, it defends tapping the internet's backbone and gathering information where the claimed target of surveillance is neither the sender nor the receiver of the information.

#1127 2017-05-02 05:16:36

Obeying the law is hard - let's go shopping in Congress for a free pass.

Amid an unexpected fight over US surveillance powers from congressional Republicans, the National Security Agency has agreed to curb its highly controversial collection of Americans' emails that discuss foreign intelligence targets, although how comprehensive that stoppage is remains unclear. . . .

It is far from the first time the NSA has conceded that its vast surveillance powers under section 702, a surveillance authority expiring in December, have surpassed the boundaries set with the Fisa [Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act] court.

A Fisa court decision from 2011, declassified in 2013, found that the agency had overcollected tens of thousands of purely domestic US emails in violation of the law, which permits warrantless interception of Americans' international communications so long as one party to the communication is a foreigner overseas.

The NSA at the time represented the 702 overcollection as an unavoidable consequence of its collection technology - a limit it cited on Friday to warn that the agency could not fully purge its hoards of data that it now pledges no longer to collect.

"Because of the limits of its current technology, [NSA] is unable to completely eliminate `about' communications from its upstream 702 collection without also excluding some of the relevant communications directly `to or from' its foreign intelligence targets. That limitation remains even today," it said.

Yet the NSA's authorities under executive order 12333 are vast, undisclosed and unconstrained by any need to explain its collections to the Fisa court. A former state department official who has warned Congress about 12333, John Napier Tye, has alleged that the NSA uses 12333 as a backup plan to route around legal restrictions on US surveillance.

#1128 2017-05-02 12:26:28

square wrote:

Obeying the law is hard - let's go shopping in Congress for a free pass.

The NSA at the time represented the 702 overcollection as an unavoidable consequence of its collection technology - a limit it cited on Friday to warn that the agency could not fully purge its hoards of data that it now pledges no longer to collect.

"Sorry, we can't help but collect that information". They can detect when they have collected it and can tell you why they "miscollected" it, but can't do anything about it after the fact?

I just can't wait until another Snowden-type leaks how the system collected information about an elected representative and shows all of the dirty laundry. *Then* it will get "held accountable"...

#1129 2017-05-04 00:09:41

Collect it all is alive and well.

A report issued by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) yesterday provides a sobering set of statistics on the breadth and depth of US intelligence surveillance of targets both overseas and within the United States. Even after steps were taken to reduce the collection of phone call metadata--ending bulk collection of phone company records and limiting collection to specific requests against records held by telecommunications providers--the National Security Agency collected over 151 million phone call records while tracking only 42 targets.

#1130 2017-05-04 15:00:26

square wrote:

...the National Security Agency collected over 151 million phone call records while tracking only 42 targets.

That's just the 42 suspects' "social network". List them as People of Interest. Pertinent to the Investigation. Boom, done!

Soon the crime will be to have once liked someone who has just been declared an Agent of the Eurasia empire!

#1131 2017-05-04 21:37:36

GooberMcNutly wrote:

square wrote:

...the National Security Agency collected over 151 million phone call records while tracking only 42 targets.

That's just the 42 suspects' "social network". List them as People of Interest. Pertinent to the Investigation. Boom, done!

Soon the crime will be to have once liked someone who has just been declared an Agent of the Eurasia empire!

Nonsense, we're fighting Eastasia, we've always been fighting Eastasia.

#1133 2017-05-05 13:50:23

I just keep getting sicker and sicker. It feels like the world is running away from me. It's like the darkness coming out of Mordor in Lord Of the Rings; it's taking over.

#1134 2017-05-06 10:46:29

I don't think the world is any worse than it's always been and, thanks to science, in many ways better.  Of course the Democracies all over the world are failing, we've all become absentee landlords and the fools now run our countries because we let even bigger fools elect them. 

I want to live just long enough to see the GOP regret allowing practically everybody in America to buy as many guns as they want.  Because, some day, they're coming for the rich people.

#1135 2017-05-06 12:18:12

Baywolfe wrote:

I want to live just long enough to see the GOP regret allowing practically everybody in America to buy as many guns as they want.  Because, some day, they're coming for the rich people.

(Nodding my head...)

#1136 2017-05-08 07:18:57

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/openbrain.png

This is not a new story.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ … -democracy

#1137 2017-05-08 22:18:50

This made quite a boom while landing. Any guesses what the USAF is doing with a returnable payload in space for 2 year stretches?

#1138 2017-05-09 09:22:20

GooberMcNutly wrote:

This made quite a boom while landing. Any guesses what the USAF is doing with a returnable payload in space for 2 year stretches?

Dunno, spying I'm sure. 

More importantly, the event really straddles this and the Robogeddon topics since this vehicle was, essentially, a robot.

#1139 2017-05-20 21:23:59

As many of you already know, Verizon is flushing its email service - for cost reasons, they say - and telling subscribers they can keep their existing addresses by migrating to Verizon's newly acquired AOL unit... where rest assured they'll scan the living shit out of your mail and flog it to highest bidder.

Brave new world, huh?

#1140 2017-05-21 11:32:41

choad wrote:

As many of you already know, Verizon is flushing its email service - for cost reasons, they say - and telling subscribers they can keep their existing addresses by migrating to Verizon's newly acquired AOL unit... where rest assured they'll scan the living shit out of your mail and flog it to highest bidder.

Brave new world, huh?

I have remained a Luddite in certain aspects; one of those is that I have not transferred my life to my smartphone (although I do, of course, own one).
I use FB Messenger on the phone for spur-of-the-moment comm with my spouse (e.g., "The store is out of your favorite pickled herring, so what is your second choice?") and it's been useful when traveling. 
I do not surf the Web on my smartphone.
I check the time and the weather.
And I play games.
I can count the number of actual phone conversations I've had on the smartphone on my fingers and not run out.  If my car ever breaks down or some other emergency, er, emerges, I might run it up past ten.
I do NOT use e-mail on my phone.  Although I had to create a gmail account to access certain of the wonders of my smartphone, it is moribund.  I don't use it and I don't pay attention to the spam that's accumulated there.
There are a lot of things you CAN do with a smartphone.  There's no need to do them all.

#1141 2017-05-24 16:06:51

George Orr wrote:

choad wrote:

I have remained a Luddite in certain aspects; one of those is that I have not transferred my life to my smartphone (although I do, of course, own one).

My current handset was made by Western Electric in Sept 1975. Replacement parts, never a problem. I tried a cell phone about 6 months and gave up in disgust. I am pathologically cheap. It was our only shared creed in this town. I acquired my first food processor and trash picked microwave within the last ten years. One man's rubbish...

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/animalfarm.png

#1142 2017-05-26 00:24:26

The guy might have had good motivations, but don't nobody want to see that.

An Oregon man who stripped naked at an airport security screening checkpoint must pay a $500 fine after a federal appeals court ruled that the First Amendment does not protect this method of protest.

#1143 2017-05-26 00:26:49

Obama's war on whistleblowers continues apace.

Under intense pressure from the White House, the Justice Department is prepared to aggressively prosecute government officials who leak classified information. Justice Department officials told The Daily Beast that targeting leakers will be a priority during Jeff Sessions' time as attorney general--a posture that will hearten national security hawks, while concerning advocates of whistleblower protections.

Of course, the primary deciding factor is whose political side you're on.

"The fact that the president shared classified information with a foreign government official, in and of itself, is classified," a former senior intelligence official told The Daily Beast. "So whoever was trying to burn him for thinking he's doing something wrong actually is the only one that committed a crime here."

#1144 2017-05-26 00:28:10

Small steps, man, small steps.

The Wikimedia Foundation has won another day in court challenging the National Security Agency over the government's so-called "Upstream" surveillance program that was disclosed by Edward Snowden.

#1145 2017-05-31 01:57:15

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/britishpassport.jpg

Is Your Passport Current?

#1146 2017-05-31 09:16:12

That's a lot of reaction for Montana, with its 3 electoral votes.  And many Republicans/Conservatives looked at Massachusetts continuing to elect Ted Kennedy with the same horror.

#1147 2017-05-31 11:47:49

Baywolfe wrote:

That's a lot of reaction for Montana, with its 3 electoral votes.  And many Republicans/Conservatives looked at Massachusetts continuing to elect Ted Kennedy with the same horror.

You should reread the article (I suspect you just gave it a glance). It's not about Montana's politics, but it is about the increasing double standards (when I do it, it's fine; when you do it, it's a crime) which have become the rule rather than the exception in American politics -- most especially coming from the right.

I realize that I'm the seven zillionth person to make the connection (and I've made it more than once myself in the past) but this continuous erosion of principals of fair play, and destruction of democratic institutions is reminiscent of Germany's evolution between the World Wars.

This is how fascism happens; not in a big sudden shift, but in the slow drip of incremental changes, none of which in and of themselves ring the alarm bells but which have a cumulative effect that is staggering.

I think the author's on the right track.

Last edited by Smudge (2017-05-31 11:52:27)

#1148 2017-06-01 02:55:02

Order up!

NOTHING BURGER

#1149 2017-06-02 11:26:10

Smudge wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

You should reread the article (I suspect you just gave it a glance). It's not about Montana's politics, but it is about the increasing double standards (when I do it, it's fine; when you do it, it's a crime) which have become the rule rather than the exception in American politics -- most especially coming from the right.

I realize that I'm the seven zillionth person to make the connection (and I've made it more than once myself in the past) but this continuous erosion of principals of fair play, and destruction of democratic institutions is reminiscent of Germany's evolution between the World Wars.

This is how fascism happens; not in a big sudden shift, but in the slow drip of incremental changes, none of which in and of themselves ring the alarm bells but which have a cumulative effect that is staggering.

I think the author's on the right track.

I still think that's only true if you ignore a rather rich and long period of our history.  I do agree that religious fanaticism, which appears to be one of the underlying causes here, needs to be put down.  I grow weary of the "righteous anger" of these fools.  However, one only needs to look back to the 1968 Democratic Convention, held in Chicago a largely liberal and democratic town, to see that fascism rears its ugly head even in unexpected places.  And many black people would argue that your fear has been their reality for a very long time.  "Chickens coming home to roost" is the way that Brother Malcolm put it.

#1150 2017-06-03 01:59:56

This topic is about government surveillance and lack of transparency.  The last five posts stray well away from that subject.  Please start a new topic if you want to engage in endless red team vs. blue team arguments.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled snooping:

Sure, let's share all that data we've slurped with some new folks for them to dig through!

Introduced on April 26 by Rep. John Katko (R-NY), the "Improving Fusion Centers' Access to Information Act" (HR 2169) is designed to plug any "information gaps" in state "fusion centers" by modifying the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to require DHS to

identify Federal databases and datasets, including databases and datasets used, operated, or managed by Department components, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Department of the Treasury, that are appropriate, in accordance with Federal laws and policies, to address any gaps identified pursuant to paragraph (2), for inclusion in the information sharing environment and coordinate with the appropriate Federal agency to deploy or access such databases and datasets; . . .

What makes Katko's bill--which is coming to the House floor under expedited consideration via a legislative procedure known as "suspension of the rules"--even worse is that it ignores the 2012 findings of a Senate Homeland Security Committee report that found that state fusion centers were at best worthless, and at worse Bill of Rights violation factories.

Last edited by square (2017-06-03 02:01:36)

• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » The Bush-Obama-Trump Whitehouse - Your privacy down the shitter

Board footer

cruelery.com