#1 2013-11-19 12:04:14

Not only does he skip the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address, he edits Lincoln's words to suit his own agenda by leaving out the words "under God" while recording a version of it for Ken Burns.  Now, most of you know I am a staunch atheist and don't give a fuck for preaching.  But, here you have Obama, who has tried to tie himself to Lincoln at every turn, having the gall to fuck with Lincoln's words to appease his liberal base.  What an arrogant asshole he is.

#2 2013-11-19 12:08:22

Fid

Oooooh, and another thing, he breathes too.

#3 2013-11-19 12:09:36

I think they are alike. Lincoln was an asshole too.

#4 2013-11-19 12:26:07

Remakes always suck.

#5 2013-11-19 12:54:39

Once upon a time, no memorial day was complete without resurrecting each of the town's fallen warriors and a painfully mangled recitation of the Gettysburg address. Think Rosanne Barr on quaaludes. Everett Dirksen did a passable job of it. No one else, far as I know.

#6 2013-11-19 13:23:29

phreddy wrote:

Not only does he skip the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address, he edits Lincoln's words to suit his own agenda by leaving out the words "under God" while recording a version of it for Ken Burns.  Now, most of you know I am a staunch atheist and don't give a fuck for preaching.  But, here you have Obama, who has tried to tie himself to Lincoln at every turn, having the gall to fuck with Lincoln's words to appease his liberal base.  What an arrogant asshole he is.

Fair is fair.  He's probably making up for all those asshole Republicans in the 1950s that inserted God into the Pledge of Allegence, our National Motto, and our Money.

#7 2013-11-19 16:22:49

Baywolfe wrote:

Fair is fair.  He's probably making up for all those asshole Republicans in the 1950s that inserted God into the Pledge of Allegence, our National Motto, and our Money.

Hmmmm.  Hadn't considered that.  But then, Lincoln was a white Republican.

#8 2013-11-19 18:51:32

Whatever - they are all politicians and I don't trust a single one in the lot.

#9 2013-11-19 19:10:10

Both ways:

For weeks, conservatives have both been attacking the president for not attending a commemoration ceremony at Gettysburg and saying that he shouldn’t attend at all.

Your way:

....(H)e edits Lincoln's words to suit his own agenda by leaving out the words "under God" while recording a version of it for Ken Burns.

Ken's way:

According to Media Matters, Burns specifically asked the president to read from the “Nicolay Version,” which was written before the phrase “under God” was added

Carlito's way:

If you can't see the angles no more, you're in trouble.

#10 2013-11-19 19:19:08

Buffet's way:

If you don't know who the rube is in the room then it's you.

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-11-19 19:19:33)

#11 2013-11-19 19:46:04

Tall Paul wrote:

Ken's way:

According to Media Matters, Burns specifically asked the president to read from the “Nicolay Version,” which was written before the phrase “under God” was added

Well then, it appears Obama, Ken Burns, Media Matters and you are all wrong.

Lance Heidig, Curator of Cornell University’s exhibition on the Gettysburg Address wrote:

Each of the five drafts differs a little from the other.   The text we learn in school, that has been memorialized, is actually the final souvenir draft, the Bliss Copy.  Robert Todd Lincoln, his son, later explained that this is the final text of the speech in Lincoln’s eyes, even if he finalized it after the fact.  Moreover, we know that the speech he gave matches neither of the first two drafts, the only copies he might have used in Gettysburg.  In the later Bliss Copy, he added the words “under God” after “this nation.”  Though the earlier drafts do not mention this, eye-witnesses report he spoke it as well.

#12 2013-11-19 21:11:37

Lincoln had to appease the religious asshole values voters of his time by mentioning God.

#13 2013-11-19 22:37:45

The US Civil War ended outright slavery. It did not end virtual slavery.

Last edited by sigmoid freud (2013-11-19 22:50:46)

#14 2013-11-19 23:13:19

Dude, it was a speech by a politician.  Give it a fucking rest.

#15 2013-11-20 19:50:51

choad wrote:

Everett Dirksen

He is one who represented me in my youth.

#16 2013-11-20 20:43:20

MSG Tripps wrote:

choad wrote:

Everett Dirksen

He is one who represented me in my youth.

Loved his voice... I'll never forget it.

#17 2013-11-21 07:43:14

It seems ironic that the author of this thread used the term "arrogant asshole" for the guy who read the version he was asked to read.  There is plenty to criticize so why pick a nothing like this?

#18 2013-11-21 11:25:55

Fled wrote:

It seems ironic that the author of this thread used the term "arrogant asshole" for the guy who read the version he was asked to read.  There is plenty to criticize so why pick a nothing like this?

I suppose you would sing the Rosanne Barr version of the National Anthem if asked, eh?  Lincoln signed and verified the version we all accept.  I have my doubts that Burns would choose a version for Obama that was written from memory by someone besides Lincoln.  But, as you suggest, he's an arrogant asshole for far more reasons than this, including his compounding set of lies about Obamacare.

#19 2013-11-21 11:51:09

phreddy wrote:

Obamacare.

Since you've brought RomneyCare into this I shall rebut with another Robin Williams quote:  "Wouldn't it be great if Congress was like NASCAR and all of the politicians wore the names of their sponsors on their clothes?"

All of them fucking fuckers need to quit screwing around and do their jobs, instead they are more concerned about raising money and building their sound bite library's.  If the all the fuckers had actually worked on it we wouldn't be in this mess.

#20 2013-11-21 12:04:27

Em wrote:

All of them fucking fuckers need to quit screwing around and do their jobs, instead they are more concerned about raising money and building their sound bite library's.  If the all the fuckers had actually worked on it we wouldn't be in this mess.

You have no idea.  While I was on the board of directors of a professional association, I spent some time in DC lobbying members of Congress.  The number one priority is cocktail parties.  The vast majority of the real work is done by under-30 aids who meet the public for them, review and even write legislation, answer letters, and write speeches and press releases.  Between parties, they spend their time at fund raisers and plan reelection campaigns.  The lazy fucks mainly take direction for votes from their "leadership" and promise not to rock the boat.  It is truly pitiful.

#21 2013-11-21 14:17:58

phreddy wrote:

Fled wrote:

I suppose you would sing the Rosanne Barr version of the National Anthem if asked, eh?  Lincoln signed and verified the version we all accept.  I have my doubts that Burns would choose a version for Obama that was written from memory by someone besides Lincoln.  But, as you suggest, he's an arrogant asshole for far more reasons than this, including his compounding set of lies about Obamacare.

You are so determined to hit him you can't seem to see it when you have missed the target entirely.  It was for a documentary.  Many different readers were used, and the director wanted each of the different versions to be read by different readers.  He read what he was asked to read.  That does not make him either arrogant or a bastard.  I don't particularly think either label fits him.  They are your word choices, not mine, and I made no such suggestion.  I merely said there are other reasons to criticize him.  The reading is not one of them.

Board footer

cruelery.com