https://cruelery.com/sidepic/discworld.png

~ click ~

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#2 2014-08-15 22:39:26

Trying to coax Georgie out of hiding?

#3 2014-08-15 23:47:57

square wrote:

Trying to coax Georgie out of hiding?

Well, sure but I was more interested in cracking a window on Robin Williams and blowing the stink out.

#4 2014-08-16 10:02:58

Discworld is one of those series that slipped through the cracks for me.  (Dragonriders of Pern is another).

I've read The Color of Magic, and I even have a suggested order reading guide for the books, but there are almost forty novels, including starter novels for each story line, story novels, illustrated novels, science novels, and short stories.

Not sure I want to read that much Terry Pratchett.  Reading every DUNE novel almost permanently soured me on Frank Herbert.

#5 2014-08-17 13:40:29

I pick them up on the paperback rack at the library. They don't check those in/out, they just do the paperbacks on the honor system. If I have a trip or some flights or just a day at the beach, Pratchett is good for that. Sure beats some Sue Grafton or Clive Cussler pseuodo-masterbatory pulp.

#6 2014-08-23 20:43:27

Baywolfe wrote:

Reading every DUNE novel almost permanently soured me on Frank Herbert.

Frank Herbert only wrote the one novel, Dune.

I'm an unabashed Pratchett fan--been reading him for 20+ years--so I'm probably not the person to recommend him to a noob.  But Small Gods is a truly wonderful novel, as is Jingo.  I think you would like those, at least.

#7 2014-08-24 11:07:06

Fid

I think I have read everything Pratchett wrote. Loved the footnotes.

#8 2014-08-24 13:48:49

George Orr wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Reading every DUNE novel almost permanently soured me on Frank Herbert.

Frank Herbert only wrote the one novel, Dune.

Well, yes, but that didn't stop him from giving them different Subtitles.  DUNE, DUNE MESSIAH, CHILDREN OF DUNE, GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE, HERETICS OF DUNE, and CHAPTERHOUSE: DUNE.

Try reading them all back-to-back and you start to wish he'd stopped at Children of Dune.

And, don't get me started on all the novels his kid added to the Dune Universe.

#9 2014-08-24 19:41:48

I look at Dune in the same way I look at The Matrix:  both are quite wonderful stories--actually, I think Dune is a masterpiece--as long as the sequels never happened.  So in my mind the sequels never happened.  They just do not exist.

#10 2014-08-25 10:26:53

George Orr wrote:

I look at Dune in the same way I look at The Matrix:  both are quite wonderful stories--actually, I think Dune is a masterpiece--as long as the sequels never happened.  So in my mind the sequels never happened.  They just do not exist.

Add Clarke's "Rendezvous With Rama" to that list. :-)

Board footer

cruelery.com