#2 2016-05-23 21:42:26

I am watching it tank here in Portland, where, by the way I am planting my second cannabis crop, legally (FTW!) Shan't be here much past harvest, all of the artist and crazies that make culture are being driven out by the assholes who are pouring in like the fucking Golden Horde.  17 offers on a house, cash.  Here we go, lemmings to the cliff.

#3 2016-05-24 07:12:19

Shit, $1mil will only just get you a teardown in Palo Alto.  Meanwhile I'm sitting on 5 acres in North Georgia that cost me less than 1/4 of that.

#4 2016-05-24 07:30:03

By this time of our lives we should all be playing it to our advantage, learn the signs of the cycle and accept the money they are trying to force into your hand.

#5 2016-05-24 09:06:30

I was in the Bay Area and the NW through 4 boom to bust cycles over 25 years. Yes you can work it to your advantage, but it is not a sound way to run an economy, or a even your own get rich quick scheme. To make the local neighborhood housing boom happen for us in such a glorious way, it took a run up in oh so temporary tech jobs demand.  Driven by the fleecing of local functional companies by Venture Capitalists (some I was working for to spend all that booty). Followed by the illicit financing and shenanigans by Enron. We bought houses in short sales from Enron subsidiary employees who had lost their pensions and were moving to the streets. I asked myself, didn't we at least save them from foreclosure by being willing to pay a bit above market rather than acquire the same house at bank auction. That self serving consolation did nothing to improve the situation for anyone or spread out the tide of gentrification that blights Portland now.

Now it is more of the same. The situation is unstable in the bay area. The bubble economy results in precipitous swings. Too much of a downward slide and whole generations of people never see the recovery, while the rich just get richer on their backs. I could sell now and re-buy in the coming bust, because I have alternatives in housing. What good does that do to make a community I would want to live in?

#6 2016-05-24 10:23:12

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Now it is more of the same. The situation is unstable in the bay area. The bubble economy results in precipitous swings. Too much of a downward slide and whole generations of people never see the recovery, while the rich just get richer on their backs. I could sell now and re-buy in the coming bust, because I have alternatives in housing. What good does that do to make a community I would want to live in?

Boom/bust is as old as prostitution. Fraud is what fraud is and should be fought at every level.

Gentrification ... we're trying to figure out how to make that happen here to reverse the cancer of slow generational poverty.  Anti-gentrification is watching once vital neighborhoods decay into unhealthy shadows of their former glory.  When new those neighborhoods were pretty much what they are gentrifying back into albeit with changes in scale due to technological improvements.

#7 2016-05-24 13:34:28

I am not exactly anti- revitalization. I just don't trust overheated gentrification. I just would like to see it happen in a way that produces communities I want to live in after its run its course. With at least some desirable characteristics other than being rich, gated off and well tended by guest workers.  Places like Portland spent a long time as dirty river towns trying to reclaim the ghettos and wasteland rather than expand as suburbs.  But now the speculative nature of gentrification there seems to lead to bubble real estate pricies that are  not backed by bubble resistant jobs. In downturns Portland comes apart at the seams. It is still a one horse town and whenever the tech horse won't pull there is little else sustainable to prop up the prices. Some of the highest unemployment  in the country during the recession. As bad as Rhode Island, which was worse than West Virginia.

#8 2016-05-24 15:57:46

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

I am not exactly anti- revitalization. I just don't trust overheated gentrification. I just would like to see it happen in a way that produces communities I want to live in after its run its course. With at least some desirable characteristics other than being rich, gated off and well tended by guest workers.  Places like Portland spent a long time as dirty river towns trying to reclaim the ghettos and wasteland rather than expand as suburbs.  But now the speculative nature of gentrification there seems to lead to bubble real estate pricies that are  not backed by bubble resistant jobs. In downturns Portland comes apart at the seams. It is still a one horse town and whenever the tech horse won't pull there is little else sustainable to prop up the prices. Some of the highest unemployment  in the country during the recession. As bad as Rhode Island, which was worse than West Virginia.

The south eastern part of West Virginia is being propped up by overvalued real estate of NOVA pushing people to drive an hour or two to work by buying property that they can afford 40-70 miles away.  Artificially low interest rates are fucking up everything by helping to artificially inflate housing values...through in speculation markets and it gets ripe for destruction

#9 2016-05-24 17:24:52

West Virginia is fucked.  With the slow demise of the coal industry, there isn't much locals can do except become wage slaves in the service industry for the people Fortinbras mentions.

#10 2016-05-24 18:58:11

"Gentrification ... we're trying to figure out how to make that happen here to reverse the cancer of slow generational poverty.  Anti-gentrification is watching once vital neighborhoods decay into unhealthy shadows of their former glory.  When new those neighborhoods were pretty much what they are gentrifying back into albeit with changes in scale due to technological improvements."

Bullshit, as usual.  Quit being an apologist for the fucking Lawyers, Banks, and Architects.

#11 2016-05-24 19:58:31

Dmtdust wrote:

Bullshit, as usual.  Quit being an apologist for the fucking Lawyers, Banks, and Architects.

Sure, so let's create artificial enclaves of culture and happiness.  You sound like a Disney commercial: Look at this cool pretend place.  Fuck you can put one on a barge and call it a Cruiseliner.

The cool thing about the cool places is that they aren't intentional, forced or sponsored.  Propping shit up with laws and taxes to "prolong the cool" doesn't work either.

Cool happens and unhappens - stop trying to manipulate it.

#12 2016-05-24 20:18:26

Emmeran wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

Sure, so let's create artificial enclaves of culture and happiness.  You sound like a Disney commercial: Look at this cool pretend place.  Fuck you can put one on a barge and call it a Cruiseliner.

The cool thing about the cool places is that they aren't intentional, forced or sponsored.  Propping shit up with laws and taxes to "prolong the cool" doesn't work either.

Cool happens and unhappens - stop trying to manipulate it.

Yeah there is nothing like a stable community being uprooted for a bunch of entitled assholes.  Yeah, change used to happen organically, now it is just driven by the greed and the developers. 

If you think that is "natural", or "healthy", I have some beach front property in Nevada that you might like to invest in.

What replaces community is soul-less, but I am sure that fits you pretty well.

#13 2016-05-25 06:35:25

Dmtdust wrote:

Yeah there is nothing like a stable community being uprooted for a bunch of entitled assholes.  Yeah, change used to happen organically, now it is just driven by the greed and the developers.

Stable communities cannot be uprooted except by corruption or choice.  If corruption is the problem then I very much agree that it should be stopped, if the property owners are exercising their rights then those are their rights. Renters rights are fully described by law but also should not infringe on the owners rights.  The down side to renting is longevity means fuck-all, always has and always should.

So this situation defies logic - by my understanding you want to deny the rights of the property owner so that you can have a rundown neighborhood to visit on occasion.  How very fucking nouveau bourgeois of you - your own private little history museum.

**Edit:  Urban living becomes a luxury good

Last edited by Emmeran (2016-05-25 07:21:05)

#14 2016-05-25 08:24:56

There is more to it than "don't tread on me". A desirable place to live in many peoples minds involves a functioning community. Otherwise you end up with places that are pretty sterile.  I was at a debut function last week for Mrs Google who's private endeavours include trying to buy back towns that have been overgentrified to put some other middle class people back in business.  Because even the ultra rich don't like being around just their asshole friends. Commendable work, putting your money where your mouth is, I have friends who aquired real estate through her loans that would not be possible due to speculators maniupulating the local commercial market by cornering the supply over a decade. But robber baraons creating private investments funding for their favorite enclaves is not a solution. A year ago I went to a conference where a panel actually discussed where to find authentic towns across the world for their clients to hang out in. The consenses was that there is little left on the circuit.

#15 2016-05-25 11:31:52

Emmeran wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

Stable communities cannot be uprooted except by corruption or choice.  If corruption is the problem then I very much agree that it should be stopped, if the property owners are exercising their rights then those are their rights. Renters rights are fully described by law but also should not infringe on the owners rights.  The down side to renting is longevity means fuck-all, always has and always should.

So this situation defies logic - by my understanding you want to deny the rights of the property owner so that you can have a rundown neighborhood to visit on occasion.  How very fucking nouveau bourgeois of you - your own private little history museum.

**Edit:  Urban living becomes a luxury good

Nothing like talking to a true believer.

Last edited by Dmtdust (2016-05-25 11:34:24)

#16 2016-05-25 11:46:33

Dmtdust wrote:

It'll be OK Dusty.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/11_whomovedmychze.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#17 2016-05-25 11:50:34

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

robber baraons creating private investments funding for their favorite enclaves is not a solution.

Correct on many levels.  Enforcement of fair regulations is key but nothing is going to stop change.

When small vendors and Family Stores buy their goods from Sam's Club and Amazon you know for certain that the evolution of our market place continues.

#18 2016-05-25 12:24:13

Emmeran wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

It'll be OK Dusty.

Actually, yeah I know it will be... Many of the artist I know who have lost everything and places to exhibit due to the current cultural sterilization that you seem to like are moving on, and smaller cities and towns will benefit for it.  Unfortunately though the uptick in homelessness, and street violence from gangs can be traced back to the class warfare being waged from top down over the last 35 years isn't getting any better.

#19 2016-05-25 12:31:46

Dmtdust wrote:

class warfare being waged from top down over the last 35 years isn't getting any better.

This is local.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE_ql7jaFCw

#20 2016-05-25 15:50:50

Dmtdust wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

It'll be OK Dusty.

Actually, yeah I know it will be... Many of the artist I know who have lost everything and places to exhibit due to the current cultural sterilization that you seem to like are moving on, and smaller cities and towns will benefit for it.  Unfortunately though the uptick in homelessness, and street violence from gangs can be traced back to the class warfare being waged from top down over the last 35 years isn't getting any better.

Fair regulations and strong enforcement.  Well paid auditors and clarity at every level - we can't be distracted by fads and temporary movements.

#21 2016-05-27 10:17:58

Emmeran wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

It'll be OK Dusty.

Who Moved My Soap? The CEO's Guide to Surviving Prison: The Bernie Madoff Edition

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51puSP-S0DL._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Board footer

cruelery.com