#201 2017-03-02 15:00:54

choad wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Texas is the gerrymandering capital of the known universe.

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ … known.jpeg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbridge_Gerry

You got schooled by pros.

Agreed, but the difference between that and Texas/Louisiana style gerrymandering is the difference between Pop Warner Football and the NFL.

#202 2017-03-02 17:27:10

Nah man, I'm with Choad.  He may have been here forever and know the place better than I ever will but I've been around dude.  Hell I've been everywhere and nothing ever compares to old school corruption.

New England is by far the most corrupt place CONUS.

(I know the Snow version is probably more original but the at voice...)

Last edited by Emmeran (2017-03-02 17:28:49)

#203 2017-03-02 19:31:32

...well maybe except for the White House ??

#204 2017-03-02 21:42:02

GooberMcNutly wrote:

George Orr wrote:

Knowing that Obama is planning to work on this issue is a ray of bright sunshine in my dark fucking days.

You are expecting a party apparatchik to "work" on the problem and come up with a more equitable solution?

Guilty white Progs, SJWs, and modern day bolsheviks needn't fear. 
A ménage à trots of race-baiting seditious apparatchiks is fixin' to occupy their new headquarters.
All this "injustice" will be sorted out in no time at all.

#205 2017-03-02 21:42:27

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/doublefacepalm.jpg

~ click ~

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#206 2017-03-02 22:17:48

meh...StarTrek TNG sucked ballz

Last edited by JetRx (2017-03-02 22:20:00)

#207 2017-03-03 08:27:04

George Orr wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

George Orr wrote:

Knowing that Obama is planning to work on this issue is a ray of bright sunshine in my dark fucking days.

You are expecting a party apparatchik to "work" on the problem and come up with a more equitable solution?

You thinking of taking the job on yourself?

If I had a month, maybe two to work on it, I'm sure I could write a minimum total circumference area partitioning algorithm that was google maps integrated to only divide along street borders and was census/zip code population enabled to enclose areas of equal population with minimal total summed perimeters. A voroinoi algorithm would be a good starting point, but even horizontal/vertical recursive bifurtication would work, just not follow roads very well.

But it's already been done a number of times. And ignored every time. They are politicians, they don't trust *math* to do a man's job of making himself undefeatable once elected.

#208 2017-03-03 10:19:57

JetRx wrote:

meh...StarTrek TNG sucked ballz

Aww, g'wan, admit it, you miss Wesley Crusher and his mommie. Well, g'news, space fans, "The Expanse" replicates the same lame drama. Space opry was never my long suit.

#209 2017-03-03 11:02:07

Emmeran wrote:

Nah man, I'm with Choad.  He may have been here forever and know the place better than I ever will but I've been around dude.  Hell I've been everywhere and nothing ever compares to old school corruption.

New England is by far the most corrupt place CONUS.

(I know the Snow version is probably more original but the at voice...)

"O, Lord, give me health and strength. We'll steal the rest." – Tammany Hall operative (and Al Smith lieutenant) “Fish Hooks” McCarthy

#210 2017-03-03 13:42:30

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/307_schumer_cry.jpg

#211 2017-03-06 01:17:43

Last edited by choad (2017-03-06 10:52:25)

#212 2017-03-06 01:38:52

choad wrote:

Fucking hysterical, choad.

#213 2017-03-06 10:32:54

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/mg_trump_org_comp.gif

#214 2017-03-06 16:02:32

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/pinkhouse.jpg

Let the bankruptcies begin...

#215 2017-03-06 17:36:03

https://i.redditmedia.com/_1t-QQARB-8L8LS66WIHkLg0au81Fv6FbswkjSHEA0I.jpg?w=708&s=69b92e4fc9612c22f411dd68185a34d1

#216 2017-03-06 17:51:04

That second shot (above) belongs on Bigcat's Ass thread.

#217 2017-03-06 20:01:27

Because you can't start persecuting your enemies until you name them, Steve Bannon in 2013: Joseph McCarthy was right in crusade against Communist infiltration

So, even if you're not LGBT, and even if you're not Muslim, and even if you're not Hispanic, and even if you're not a Liberal or a Democrat, the Trump Nazi Party has a pigeonhole to stick you into if you disagree with them.

This is the way the world ends. This is the way the world ends. This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper.
--T.S. Eliot

#218 2017-03-06 21:34:07

My only comment is that there was a Trump Tower in New Rochelle, NY where I rented this last summer.  I couldn't for the life of me find any reasonable excuse as to why it was there and aside from a commuter line station why it even existed.  Even without the Trump name it seems to simply be a weeping ulcer representing the sins of over capitalization.

Not to mention the surround "Consumer Experience" is limping along on one partially amputated and one other horribly diseased limb.  Tax development contracts are keeping it alive but on the whole the community would prefer to rip the entire development down and salt the fucking earth.

#220 2017-03-08 20:07:03

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/307_lyzjj.jpg

Speaking of rich fat bastards and HWP women who chauffeur them...

https://youtu.be/1M4ADcMn3dA

Last edited by JetRx (2017-03-08 22:11:25)

#221 2017-03-09 19:37:16

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/307_20170309_care.jpg

#222 2017-03-18 12:28:30

"This is 2017 in a nutshell: You start with what you think is obviously a joke, and then a few days later it is being sent out from the White House."

#223 2017-03-18 17:42:13

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6FSMXnUwAAFpn7.jpg

http://retagram.com/pres-supervillain-8 … 3689547776

There's a whole set of these, and they are, basically, brilliant. Follow the link to view them all.

#224 2017-03-18 18:20:13

It sucks when the world starts looking at you.

#225 2017-03-19 02:52:54

https://cruelery.com/img/cpt.america.cropped.png

Captain America Comics #1 (March 1941)

#226 2017-03-19 12:32:46

Invertebrates against Trump:

Chesapeake Bay's Booming Oyster Industry Is Alarmed By Trump's EPA Budget Cuts

A federally funded cleanup effort is finally restoring the bay's ecology, bringing back oyster jobs.

...Things started changing in the last several years as the effects of an Environmental Protection Agency cleanup that began in 1983 under President Ronald Reagan took effect. (President Barack Obama imposed even stricter targets in 2009). Levels of phosphorus and nitrogen, a third of which settled on the water from being wheezed by power plants into the air, fell. The water cleared. Grasses grew back in dense thickets, tightening the river bed with roots. 

By 2004, Coxton quit his day job and started cultivating oysters full time. At first, restaurants in the area, knowing how dirty the water had been, wouldn’t buy his product, even though it was safe to eat. He shipped them to upscale eateries in New York. But as water quality improved over the past decade, local demand came roaring back. Coxton opened his fifth restaurant Thursday evening and plans to cut the ribbon on a sixth in September.

Now the program that saved the Chesapeake Bay oyster industry is in jeopardy. The budget President Donald Trump proposed Thursday would eliminate funding for the $73 million initiative, along with more than 50 other programs and 31 percent of the EPA’s overall budget. Funding isn’t the only thing on the chopping block. Trump vowed to boost economic growth by axing regulations, particularly environmental rules he blames for holding businesses back. Already, his administration has scrapped a rule protecting streams from coal mine pollution, tossed out a directive ordering oil and gas drillers to report methane emissions and overturned a regulation giving the EPA power to police fertilizer and manure runoff from farms, the chief contaminants in the Chesapeake Bay...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/che … dc23bb?tpp

#227 2017-03-20 12:02:26

I guess it's time for the President to disband the FBI because Comey: ‘No Information’ To Back Trump’s Claim Obama Wiretapped Him.

#229 2017-03-23 18:16:26

Baywolfe wrote:

Dissension in the ranks as Health Care Vote Canceled After GOP Leaders Fail to Win Support.

Fucking grandstanding for votes.

#230 2017-03-23 19:58:24

Baywolfe wrote:

Dissension in the ranks as Health Care Vote Canceled After GOP Leaders Fail to Win Support.

They will probably mess around and do the kabuki theater to save face, but the bill is dead. Another day, or another month isn't going to make any difference. And I never heard anyone say it had any reasonable chance of getting through the Senate regardless.

Trump has got to be sweating it at this point. His record is nothing but strike outs, as the Russia scandals intensify by the day. Yesterday the odds makers had it at 50/50 whether he would finish out the term, or resign or get impeached before then.

#231 2017-03-23 21:46:09

Emmeran wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Fucking grandstanding for votes.

But "The Boss" said they'd lose re-election if they didn't vote for it, that's what makes this so significant.  Rats always know when to jump off a sinking ship.

#232 2017-03-23 22:54:28

Smudge wrote:

Invertebrates against Trump:

Chesapeake Bay's Booming Oyster Industry Is Alarmed By Trump's EPA Budget Cuts

A federally funded cleanup effort is finally restoring the bay's ecology, bringing back oyster jobs.

...Things started changing in the last several years as the effects of an Environmental Protection Agency cleanup that began in 1983 under President Ronald Reagan took effect. (President Barack Obama imposed even stricter targets in 2009). Levels of phosphorus and nitrogen, a third of which settled on the water from being wheezed by power plants into the air, fell. The water cleared. Grasses grew back in dense thickets, tightening the river bed with roots. 

By 2004, Coxton quit his day job and started cultivating oysters full time. At first, restaurants in the area, knowing how dirty the water had been, wouldn’t buy his product, even though it was safe to eat. He shipped them to upscale eateries in New York. But as water quality improved over the past decade, local demand came roaring back. Coxton opened his fifth restaurant Thursday evening and plans to cut the ribbon on a sixth in September.

Now the program that saved the Chesapeake Bay oyster industry is in jeopardy. The budget President Donald Trump proposed Thursday would eliminate funding for the $73 million initiative, along with more than 50 other programs and 31 percent of the EPA’s overall budget. Funding isn’t the only thing on the chopping block. Trump vowed to boost economic growth by axing regulations, particularly environmental rules he blames for holding businesses back. Already, his administration has scrapped a rule protecting streams from coal mine pollution, tossed out a directive ordering oil and gas drillers to report methane emissions and overturned a regulation giving the EPA power to police fertilizer and manure runoff from farms, the chief contaminants in the Chesapeake Bay...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/che … dc23bb?tpp

They should have whatever's left of Allied Chemical clean up the Chesapeake.  They dumped a shitload of Kepone into the James River which subsequently fucked up many world class oyster beds. 
Those oysters were yuuuuuuge...remember eating quart after quart growing up.  Was pissed when they cancelled harvest  due to contamination - in the 70's.  I've eaten none since (even in the Pacific NW), that compare.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/307_grab.jpg

Last edited by JetRx (2017-03-24 00:38:33)

#233 2017-03-24 01:46:27

The story is pretty similar for Olympia oysters, which were nearly wiped out by pollution and over fishing. But a decades long conservation program has brought the species back from the brink, and created a delicious industry in what was once an industrial wasteland.

It's incredibly short sighted, and foolish to remove the protections which have been gradually bringing our environments back to a healthy state; this should not be a partisan issue. We all live here; all eat the food which is grown here, breath the air and raise our children. Gated communities offer no protection against what we do to the earth.

Trump is simply wrong to degrade our environmental protections to pump up short term profits. That's simply stealing from future generations.

#234 2017-03-24 05:29:39

Smudge wrote:

The story is pretty similar for Olympia oysters, which were nearly wiped out by pollution and over fishing. But a decades long conservation program has brought the species back from the brink, and created a delicious industry in what was once an industrial wasteland.

It's incredibly short sighted, and foolish to remove the protections which have been gradually bringing our environments back to a healthy state; this should not be a partisan issue. We all live here; all eat the food which is grown here, breath the air and raise our children. Gated communities offer no protection against what we do to the earth.

Trump is simply wrong to degrade our environmental protections to pump up short term profits. That's simply stealing from future generations.

What he said.

#235 2017-03-24 06:41:13

Apart from Goober's right and our seafood's fucked, the town harbor here once billed itself as the oyster capitol of the world. Upstream industry in the 19th century didn't help but cranberry insecticides and phosphates croaked it. These mud flats reliably fed me as kid whenever the school kitchen turned toxic.

#236 2017-03-24 09:32:36

Fled wrote:

Smudge wrote:

What he said.

I would have added, "Well, DUH!"

#237 2017-03-24 13:37:03

Here is the logical fallacy I'm trying to get my head around: Does adding more money to the EPA give cleaner water? I would argue that many of the laws that are the source for improving water qualities (like limited catch seasons, runoff protection, etc.) are already on the books. Does it cost $73 million to make new laws? Or just to enforce the ones on the books? Or to make the existing ones more strict?

I'm not saying that environmental protection is not a noble goal. I've seen huge improvements in my little slice of the Chesapeake, though the eel grass keeps going away and the spirulina still chokes out the light, but much of what I've seen has been driven by watermen increasing oyster float usage over tonging and planting billions of cherrystones, both excellent filter feeders. How many EPA inspectors do we get for $73 million?

#238 2017-03-24 14:16:38

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Here is the logical fallacy I'm trying to get my head around: Does adding more money to the EPA give cleaner water? I would argue that many of the laws that are the source for improving water qualities (like limited catch seasons, runoff protection, etc.) are already on the books. Does it cost $73 million to make new laws? Or just to enforce the ones on the books? Or to make the existing ones more strict?

How many EPA inspectors do we get for $73 million?

Now your talking about effective management and leadership, it's a separate question and one that no one wants to address cuz that's actual work.  How many inspectors, buildings, vehicles and testing systems do you think we need?  Just the effort to build and maintain that information is going to cost you a chunk of change and this is just what we need to keep people from intentionally polluting our water supply.

#239 2017-03-24 14:20:34

"Adding more money to the EPA..."? That's hardly what I'm talking about. And the sentence you highlighted went on to say that Trump intends to cut EPA funding by over 30% in a single year, not increase it; that's draconian.

Trump is actively and aggressively rolling back protections on multiple fronts, with his anti-science opposition to climate change mitigation at the very top of the stack. The article below was just a quick grab, but I can roll my sleeves up and provide plenty of data to backup for my assertions. Trump is solidly against environmental protection (as part of his "there are too many regulations on business", and "it costs too much to operate cleanly" positions), and he's made it clear that he intends to make big changes, and changes which are not, by the way, supported by the majority.

Donald Trump 'taking steps to abolish Environmental Protection Agency'

Myron Ebell, a key presidential aide, said climate education material could be ‘withdrawn’ and review of car fuel efficiency standards could be reopened

Donald Trump will work towards the abolition of the Environmental Protection Agency – and any employees cleaving to the Obama era should be “very worried” by the prospect of Scott Pruitt taking over the agency, a key aide of the president has told the Guardian.

In an exclusive interview, Myron Ebell – who headed up Trump’s EPA transition team, said that agency’s environmental research, reports and data would not be removed from its website, but climate education material might be changed or “withdrawn”.

Ebell also signalled that a review of fuel efficiency standards for cars, rushed through by the departing Obama administration, is likely to be reopened despite its contribution to the US’s pledged emissions cuts in the Paris agreement.

[...]

Read the rest here:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 … ion-agency

#240 2017-03-24 14:39:41

Emmeran wrote:

Now your talking about effective management and leadership, it's a separate question and one that no one wants to address cuz that's actual work.  How many inspectors, buildings, vehicles and testing systems do you think we need?  Just the effort to build and maintain that information is going to cost you a chunk of change and this is just what we need to keep people from intentionally polluting our water supply.

Yes to this, Emmeran (your post came in while I was composing mine).

I can't say for certain that every EPA dollar is well spent, or that there isn't room for improvement. But wholesale shredding of the funding, and blanket opposition to scientifically established positions certainly will not improve things. And Trump is clearly catering to anti-environmental forces who would like to go back to the old ways -- when businesses could pollute, and leave the cleanup to others after they had slipped away with the profits.

And he does NOT have the support of the American people in this. Americans, across party lines, support a clean environment and are willing to pay the price to maintain it.

#241 2017-03-26 10:40:07

Trump's enemies list is made up of...Republicans.  If it weren't for the real impact on the lives of real people, this shit would be funnier than fuck.

#242 2017-03-26 13:11:18

George Orr wrote:

Trump's enemies list is made up of...Republicans.  If it weren't for the real impact on the lives of real people, this shit would be funnier than fuck.

Like Trump needed to be told to keep a shit list, every deal guy I ever met had a shit list and they weren't shy about going out of their way to fuck with people on said list.

#243 2017-03-26 15:49:12

George Orr wrote:

As I've said from the beginning:  No big fan of the Trumpmeister but, he has ALL the right enemies.
I seriously doubt, as this hit piece implies, the Freedom Caucus is considered an enemy.  More like Ryan...McStain...Graham...assorted other neocons along with most Bolshevist Progs.

Last edited by JetRx (2017-03-26 15:55:39)

#244 2017-03-27 10:04:53

Smudge wrote:

Americans, across party lines, support a clean environment and are willing to pay the price to maintain it.

I agree. Blue or Red, we all want clean water, chirping birds and and to see the deer and the antelope play. But the fallacy is thinking that just giving cash money to the EPA will cause that. It's not like they are buying clean water and jumping fish off the shelf at Walmart. Amongst a certain segment of the population that seems to be the impression. "If I give a million dollars to a Three Letter Acronym I automagically get what I want." It just doesn't work that way, be it the EPA, HHS, HUD or Dept of State. I blame it all on the reliance to the service economy and the instant-demand, instant-supply, customer-is-always-right mindset.

When was the last time you heard a politico say "Fraud, waste and abuse"? If they were serious about making a TLA give value for their budget they should give the money to a non-political auditing team with a mission to improve effectiveness and let them squirm under their open interrogations for a while. But unless they can wield that brickbat for political reasons no elected gerrymanderer will unleash something like that lest it bite their personal golden calf on the ass.

#245 2017-03-27 12:11:17

GooberMcNutly wrote:

When was the last time you heard a politico say "Fraud, waste and abuse"?

Start with the GAO and performance metrics.  And stay away from the corporate "cost cutting", performance is what needs to be measured and encouraged.

#246 2017-03-29 09:07:59

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/michelebatshit.png

~ comic relief ~

#247 2017-03-29 10:22:59

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Smudge wrote:

Americans, across party lines, support a clean environment and are willing to pay the price to maintain it.

I agree. Blue or Red, we all want clean water, chirping birds and and to see the deer and the antelope play. But the fallacy is thinking that just giving cash money to the EPA will cause that. It's not like they are buying clean water and jumping fish off the shelf at Walmart. Amongst a certain segment of the population that seems to be the impression. "If I give a million dollars to a Three Letter Acronym I automagically get what I want." It just doesn't work that way, be it the EPA, HHS, HUD or Dept of State. I blame it all on the reliance to the service economy and the instant-demand, instant-supply, customer-is-always-right mindset.

When was the last time you heard a politico say "Fraud, waste and abuse"? If they were serious about making a TLA give value for their budget they should give the money to a non-political auditing team with a mission to improve effectiveness and let them squirm under their open interrogations for a while. But unless they can wield that brickbat for political reasons no elected gerrymanderer will unleash something like that lest it bite their personal golden calf on the ass.

I missed this post when it was made, and just stumbled on it.

Are you suggesting that Trump's cutting the EPA budget (either generally, or in the case of specific projects) is in response to fraud, waste or abuse?  If so, would you point to some evidence that this is the case.

Lacking that evidence, I think it's pretty clear that the reason which Trump is cutting the EPA budget is simply because environmental protection is not a high priority for his administration. As I already pointed out, this is an area where Trump's values and priorities are out of step with the majority of Americans.

#248 2017-03-29 11:36:03

All I know is that, for good or bad, the President is running this country almost exclusively through Executive Orders.  I'm no fan of Congress these days but only using one man's opinion for governing is generally called a Dictatorship.

#249 2017-03-29 12:31:49

Yup.

And as if that wasn't bad enough, he's a guy who got elected in least in part as the result of corrupt practices, and collusion with an foreign power. It's hard to imagine a less legitimate power broker.

Board footer

cruelery.com