• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » "Raw Water": Only $60 / 2.5 gallons, if you can find it.

#1 2018-01-03 14:29:25

A new health craze that has many people paying high prices for unfiltered water is also reportedly putting those Americans at risk for diseases like hepatitis and norovirus.

According to a report from The New York Times, the demand for “raw water” in and around California’s Silicon Valley has sent prices soaring. The small companies bottling their untreated product have hiked the price from $36.99 to over $60 for a 2.5-gallon jug.

“It has a vaguely mild sweetness, a nice smooth mouth feel, nothing that overwhelms the flavor profile,” San Francisco grocery store manager Kevin Freeman told the Times.

“Raw water” is essentially water that comes straight from natural sources and has not passed through any government cleaning processes or pipes. The water has gained popularity because it does not contain any additives like fluoride, which is typically added to tap water to help prevent tooth decay. Unfortunately for the people seeking this “off-the-grid” solution, most streams, rivers, and groundwater contain parasites that can make drinkers very sick.

Doesn't anybody in CA have a well?

#2 2018-01-03 14:53:47

Look, if you are going to ever buy anything from the juice-a-roo guy you deserve to spend your entire time on the playa shepherding amoebic dysentery from honey-pot to honey-pot.

#3 2018-01-03 14:59:16

I ran across this news yesterday.
If I roll my eyes much more they are going to get stuck and I'll be blind.

#4 2018-01-04 10:32:38

GooberMcNutly wrote:

A new health craze that has many people paying high prices for unfiltered water is also reportedly putting those Americans at risk for diseases like hepatitis and norovirus.

According to a report from The New York Times, the demand for “raw water” in and around California’s Silicon Valley has sent prices soaring. The small companies bottling their untreated product have hiked the price from $36.99 to over $60 for a 2.5-gallon jug.

“It has a vaguely mild sweetness, a nice smooth mouth feel, nothing that overwhelms the flavor profile,” San Francisco grocery store manager Kevin Freeman told the Times.

“Raw water” is essentially water that comes straight from natural sources and has not passed through any government cleaning processes or pipes. The water has gained popularity because it does not contain any additives like fluoride, which is typically added to tap water to help prevent tooth decay. Unfortunately for the people seeking this “off-the-grid” solution, most streams, rivers, and groundwater contain parasites that can make drinkers very sick.

Doesn't anybody in CA have a well?

No, the bad guys from Chinatown stole all the water.

#5 2018-01-04 14:24:57

The water in my house comes straight from the laurel mountains. Unfiltered and untreated. It tastes very clean. I have lived here 22 years and never filtered or treated it. How do I cash in?

#6 2018-01-05 09:44:03

I get my water from a private well system in my gated community. Nothing is added to the water, but it's tested frequently.

#7 2018-01-05 12:17:25

fnord wrote:

I get my water from a private well system in my gated community. Nothing is added to the water, but it's tested frequently.

HOLY SHIT!!!  It's a Fnord!!!!

#8 2018-01-05 12:56:28

Emmeran wrote:

fnord wrote:

HOLY SHIT!!!  It's a Fnord!!!!

It is a long time since we tried to guess fnord's hippy-dippy retreat but for some reason I always picture a sweat lodge and a thumb butte in the background. So, spins wheel, I'm betting Prescott, AZ.

#9 2018-01-07 10:56:59

A fnord is a terrible thing to waste. How was your trip straying from the reservation?

#10 2018-01-08 01:47:20

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

A fnord is a terrible thing to waste. How was your trip straying from the reservation?

I haven't left the reservation; I haven't had the time or inspiration to do much posting recently. I'm slightly more active in the Diaspora group.

• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » "Raw Water": Only $60 / 2.5 gallons, if you can find it.

Board footer

cruelery.com