#1 2022-03-21 23:19:26

I can barely fathom it. To lay it all down to get quickly snuffed out while being utterly useless. Just for a social meme. Such is war.

In Ukraine’s brutal modern war, though, the romance of adventure and political convictions can quickly vanish as volunteers get pounded by airstrikes, Grad rockets and artillery shells, or engage in urban warfare on the streets of cities.

While some experienced American veterans of wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are said to be among the volunteers, many of these would-be fighters, like Adam, are novices at best. 

“I’ve got very little military experience, but I am willing to go and fight and die with this guy,” said Brian, a Canadian business analyst, referring to Adam standing nearby, “because my Ukrainian relatives are here.”

“I have been a hunter all my life,” Brian said. “I got assigned to a sniper team here. I am going to kill every ... Russian I can,” he said, using an expletive to describe Russians.

“Never killed a man in my life, but ... I am going to enjoy [it].”

#2 2022-03-22 10:24:20

Sad that the only people from outside the Ukraine trying to do something about this will likely all be killed in the latest version of the Warsaw Uprising.  The only hope is that the kids that Putin sent in don't seem to be any more skilled than the Ukraine forces and don't seem really thrilled to be there.

Last edited by Baywolfe (2022-03-22 10:25:35)

Board footer

cruelery.com