#1 2022-12-20 13:02:08

I had such high hope for the Internet, back in the Mondo 2000 days... I am a Utopian by nature, and now here we are smack dab in the middle of dystopian stupidity...

"Stop The Steal" organizer Ali Alexander complains that Trump never called him after Jan. 6
https://preview.redd.it/q5zx4vqyr27a1.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=7d1d552318c2b7f9a9df5d637f7271e9891810e0

"The internet has done some amazing things. We have the entirety of human knowledge, accessible at almost any time from a machine in our pocket. I can tap my wrist to a terminal to make a payment. Parents can monitor their diabetic child's blood sugar from anywhere with a cellular connection.

But it's also weaponized stupidity. Now instead of the crazy person at the end of the bar being just a crazy person, engagement driven algorithms have introduced them to other crazy people, across the globe, that believe the same things. They think that there's a lot of them. They feed the craziness and stupidity off of one another, stoked along by antagonistic governments with a handful of bots and money for ads. The echo chamber grows louder and louder and then regular people at the periphery look and begin to think those crazy people might be on to something. Conspiracy theories explode.

And not just somewhat plausible ones like with JFK's assassination, but some real batshit insane ones. Vaccines cause autism. The Earth is flat. Your election was stolen. High schools are letting kids dress in fursuits and shit in litterboxes. Things with absolutely no evidence other than insanity being shouted into the void at full volume."

#2 2022-12-20 16:49:32

Is it too late to burn down the internet and start over? Hell, Elon Musk is making a pretty good go of it at Twitter.

Last edited by BorderCount (2022-12-20 17:06:26)

#3 2022-12-20 19:39:59

People just need to skeeter across the surface of their filter bubble more often and ask better questions.

There are people waiting on the outside there to help.

#4 2022-12-20 19:52:39

He lists his Occupation as "Activist".  Has a net worth of $300,000.  I guess Donald does pay some people a loyalty bonus.

Board footer

cruelery.com