#1 2023-11-04 16:20:02

I Would Prefer To See Heads On Pikes, But That Is Just Ol' Grumpy Me:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjvx9w/ … surrection

https://video-images.vice.com/articles/6544f133b3a6ad1853a3df0d/lede/1699017354259-gettyimages-1180246886.jpeg?crop=0.9482xw:0.798xh;0.0274xw,0.1612xh&resize=500:*

#2 2023-11-05 10:48:55

Now that is a fine idea. Most appealing option since we can't return to the age old method, proven since long before the dawn of history as the least costly method (initially at least) to address such issues; banishment. The physical banishment from the country, society, removal to another land, and cessation of all interactions with the group.

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2023-11-05 10:50:08)

#3 2023-11-05 13:16:07

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Now that is a fine idea. Most appealing option since we can't return to the age old method, proven since long before the dawn of history as the least costly method (initially at least) to address such issues; banishment. The physical banishment from the country, society, removal to another land, and cessation of all interactions with the group.

Robert Graves touched on this in his works about the ancient world. I think the Farallon Islands would be ideal, with half rations delivered ever so often to keep it interesting.

Last edited by DmtDusty (2023-11-05 13:17:21)

#4 2023-11-05 13:49:31

DmtDusty wrote:

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Robert Graves touched on this in his works about the ancient world. I think the Farallon Islands would be ideal, with half rations delivered ever so often to keep it interesting.

Thanks for the tip about Robert Graves, In a world where coincidence exists, just this morning I sent the article on Guy Fawkes inspired Insurrection Day, to a writer friend who, of all things, happens to hang out with Graves's son and play music. Now I have a great follow up.

The Farallon islands would be too easy, though damn chilly before you learned to make your own seal skin clothes. Isn't it amazing how humans can get get used to a smell? There are a plethora of rats and birds our insurrectionists could see if they can out-compete.

#5 2023-11-05 16:22:41

There are islands further out of course. I just want them to see the glow of civilization in the east at night, so they could contemplate their betrayal nightly.

Robert Graves is a lodestone in my life and my investigations into the archaic past. Of course, he could invent scenarios, but what wonderful scenarios.

#6 2023-11-06 08:24:20

Robert  Graves lived a topsy turvy Poet's life. He was involved with an interesting salon of writers that expanded even when he decamped with his family to Deià in the Balearics.

It is of note that he had a role in kicking off the wildness of the 1960s.

. . . The other great psychedelic pioneer of the 1950s was a J. P. Morgan vice president and amateur mycologist named R. Gordon Wasson. Wasson and his wife had already written a voluminous work on the history of mushroom lore, Russia, Mushrooms, and History (1957) when, apparently through a conversation with the English poet Robert Graves, he found out about the continuing existence of a cult in Oaxaca, in southern Mexico, that used teonanacatl, the vision-inducing mushrooms that Spanish writers had talked of after the conquest of Mexico...

—from Marcus Boon, The Road of Excess: A History of Writers on Drugs. Harvard (pp 253-255).

Though he saw this through a poetical archetype, even though the and his friends may have been mistaken in the  human historical application.

Mushrooms, Food of the Gods
- By Robert Graves
AUGUST 1957 ISSUE

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2023-11-06 08:27:30)

#7 2023-11-06 13:09:20

He was a pivotal character. His relationship with Wasson was a major event in the culture of the world. Weird how that happens.

Board footer

cruelery.com