#2 2008-05-05 02:11:21

argues that anyone who can't master English doesn't deserve to live in America

What am I missing here?

#3 2008-05-05 02:17:57

MSG Tripps wrote:

argues that anyone who can't master English doesn't deserve to live in America

What am I missing here?

The dumb bitch spelled "official" as "offical", making herself look like an ignorant twat.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2636/english5na5.jpg

Last edited by sofaking (2008-05-05 02:18:37)

#4 2008-05-05 02:21:48

Bingo - ignorance has no barriers.

#5 2008-05-05 03:27:58

sofaking wrote:

The dumb bitch spelled "official" as "offical", making herself look like an ignorant twat.

Like?

#6 2008-05-05 10:53:51

MSG Tripps wrote:

Bingo - ignorance has no barriers.

Imagine the electronic fence that would be required.

#7 2008-05-05 11:23:53

Perhaps she should have just abbreviated 'offical' as 'offal'.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Scrapple_1.jpg

Gotta love Pennsylvania delicacies.

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2008-05-05 11:25:10)

#8 2008-05-05 12:48:34

Stop reminding me where my scrapple comes from.   Eww, Pennsylvania.

#9 2008-05-05 13:10:26

opsec wrote:

Stop reminding me where my scrapple comes from.   Eww, Pennsylvania.

Anyone wanna do some scrapplebooking of those  memories?

#10 2008-05-05 13:22:56

Only here could a discussion about functional illiterates protesting immigration turn to scrapple.

I love you people.

#12 2008-05-05 21:18:54

OH GOD IT'S SCRAPPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ugh.  Rapa Scrapple!  UGHGHHGHGHGHGH.

beware people.  Do not eat the scrapple.

Lips n assholes, really.

#13 2008-05-05 22:51:39

Roger_That wrote:

OH GOD IT'S SCRAPPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ugh.  Rapa Scrapple!  UGHGHHGHGHGHGH.

beware people.  Do not eat the scrapple.

Lips n assholes, really.

Oh come off it. Scrapple isn't that bad. At least it will not scar you for life compared to some other offerings you must contemplate eating as a child.

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/2013/happyporkyq4.jpg

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2008-05-05 22:53:23)

#14 2008-05-06 14:24:43

I've seen that smiley face crap.  I never did eat Bologne or anything like that.

I'm not sure which is scarier.  I think between the two, Scrapple might be the closer one to "all natural".

#15 2008-05-06 16:09:43

What about head cheese?  Nipples, dicks, brains, all held together in a solution of ground-up snouts...mmmmm...

#16 2008-05-06 19:50:10

What about blutwurst, souse and tongue?  I love'em!  (really!)

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/index-bilder/blutwurst.jpg

http://www.karlehmer.com/ProductImages/0375SuelzeLarge.jpg

http://www.disciplemexico.org/uploaded_images/SpiderinHouse%20007-712927.jpg

http://www.foodite.com/photos/posts/gardemanger3_curedbeeftongue.jpg

Bessie says "Yum!"
http://www.worldproutassembly.org/images/cow-tongue.jpg

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2008-05-06 19:51:58)

#17 2008-05-06 20:01:17

whosasailorthen wrote:

I don't know about the rest, but I love a good lengua burrito.   Mmmm, tongue.  Where's a roach coach when you need one?

#18 2008-05-06 20:04:23

whiskytangofoxtrot wrote:

What about head cheese?  Nipples, dicks, brains, all held together in a solution of ground-up snouts...mmmmm...

That which will not poison me; I will eat  [if necessary].

#19 2008-05-06 20:05:06

Darwin?

#20 2008-05-06 23:16:21

Hopefully the current administration will drive us all to cannibalism...then you'll want bologna....

#21 2008-05-07 00:27:18

tojo2000 wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

I don't know about the rest, but I love a good lengua burrito.   Mmmm, tongue.  Where's a roach coach when you need one?

Getting harder to find in LA.  Have you ever had tacos de ojos?

Last edited by whiskytangofoxtrot (2008-05-07 00:27:57)

#22 2008-05-07 00:31:19

tojo2000 wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

No, and I think that may be one line I won't cross anytime soon.

#23 2008-05-07 01:01:37

Remember, folks - nowadays, they'll  just grind up the parts we're too squeamish to eat and FEED THE STUFF BACK TO THE ANIMALS. That's how humans wound up with Mad Cow Disease

Sausage of any sort is just a way of using everything but the oink/moo/cluck/neigh/baa. Go vegan,  chickenshits, or shut your burger holes.

Last edited by sigmoid freud (2008-05-07 01:08:52)

#24 2008-05-07 01:42:23

sigmoid freud wrote:

Go vegan,  chickenshits, or shut your burger holes.

Stripped bass are running at the moment but weather, coyotes and ratbastard neighbors permitting, I dig clams and raise poultry. Sorry, the chickenshit goes right to the garden.

#25 2008-05-07 04:09:43

sigmoid freud wrote:

Remember, folks - nowadays, they'll  just grind up the parts we're too squeamish to eat and FEED THE STUFF BACK TO THE ANIMALS. That's how humans wound up with Mad Cow Disease

Sausage of any sort is just a way of using everything but the oink/moo/cluck/neigh/baa. Go vegan,  chickenshits, or shut your burger holes.

Do you eat every part of the vegetables you eat?

#26 2008-05-07 05:15:42

Vegan? You're kidding, right? Any diet that requires such a high level of supplements just to make it feasible is not a natural diet. Vegetarianism I can see - veganism is just a cry for attention.

#27 2008-05-07 05:38:26

I love tongue. The cow kind. Oh, wait, there ISN'T a way to make this NOT something naughty...

#28 2008-05-07 07:26:10

sigmoid freud wrote:

Remember, folks - nowadays, they'll  just grind up the parts we're too squeamish to eat and FEED THE STUFF BACK TO THE ANIMALS. That's how humans wound up with Mad Cow Disease.

Well, sort of.  Kuru has been around a lot longer than BSE, but it's really only a threat to Zombies.

Going vegan to avoid BSE is like moving to Antarctica to avoid Komodo Dragons.

#29 2008-05-07 07:28:33

opsec wrote:

sigmoid freud wrote:

Remember, folks - nowadays, they'll  just grind up the parts we're too squeamish to eat and FEED THE STUFF BACK TO THE ANIMALS. That's how humans wound up with Mad Cow Disease.

Well, sort of.  Kuru has been around a lot longer than BSE, but it's really only a threat to Zombies.

Going vegan to avoid BSE is like moving to Antarctica to avoid Komodo Dragons.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

#30 2008-05-07 09:03:23

tojo2000 wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

I've had elotes (corn) out of a wandering shopping cart in Long Beach. They slather it with mayonnaise and butter, and cover it in Parmesan cheese and chili powder.

I love lengua, too, but I wouldn't get it out of the roach coach. Our business partner's mom makes us all authentic food in the detached kitchen he built her to keep the smell out of the main house. I think I'm gonna ask her to make me some sweet bean tamales soon.

Now that I think about it, I have her to blame for part of my recent weight gain. She uses lard in her cooking, and now it resides in my ass.

#31 2008-05-07 09:30:16

sofaking wrote:

I've had elotes (corn) out of a wandering shopping cart in Long Beach. They slather it with mayonnaise and butter, and cover it in Parmesan cheese and chili powder.

I love lengua, too, but I wouldn't get it out of the roach coach. Our business partner's mom makes us all authentic food in the detached kitchen he built her to keep the smell out of the main house. I think I'm gonna ask her to make me some sweet bean tamales soon.

Now that I think about it, I have her to blame for part of my recent weight gain. She uses lard in her cooking, and now it resides in my ass.

I used to work at Christopher Ranch on their loading dock.  Man, there is nothing better than elote with crema on the day it was harvested. 

Funny side note: they never asked me if I spoke Spanish when I got the job, but there is no way in hell I would have gotten anything done if I hadn't.

#32 2008-05-07 10:01:47

A nice tongue sandwich, on rye with some cole-slaw plopped in there....  Damn, I want one now....

#33 2008-05-07 10:02:04

pALEPHx wrote:

I love tongue. The cow kind. Oh, wait, there ISN'T a way to make this NOT something naughty...

I demand Rule 34.

#34 2008-05-07 12:49:15

sofaking wrote:

Only here could a discussion about functional illiterates protesting immigration turn to scrapple.

I love you people.

You realize, of course, that this is a MENSA roundtable with fart jokes...

#35 2008-05-07 13:40:13

My most favoritest discussion thread on Cruel featured members trading an ever-escalating series of childish and/or disgusting insults (yeah, there were plenty of those, but this one was particularly epic).  A day or so after the thread burned itself out, someone capped it off with the reflection: "Take that, Algonquin Round Table."

Sadly, the archives have been flushed away like a Burmese peasant, so I fear that thread is lost to the mists of time.

Last edited by square (2008-05-07 13:43:52)

#36 2008-05-07 13:45:48

Rules/broken.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2qjx6ad.jpg

#37 2008-05-07 14:00:21

sofaking wrote:

I love you people.

I always wondered how they ended up with that name.  Did not one of the original members speak Spanish?

#38 2008-05-07 15:41:15

tojo2000 wrote:

sofaking wrote:

I love you people.

I always wondered how they ended up with that name.  Did not one of the original members speak Spanish?

I always wondered that, too.

Which brings us back to the original topic. Immigration reform, and the necessity of knowing the language of the country adjacent to your own.

Personally, I don't see the fucking problem. People in Europe speak multiple languages (like the ones bordering the country they live in and English).

I think it's mostly semi-literate people who are struggling with their native language of English who are freaking out about this like the lady in the picture.

Last edited by sofaking (2008-05-07 15:43:34)

#39 2008-05-07 15:50:17

sofaking wrote:

Which brings us back to the original topic. Immigration reform, and the necessity of knowing the language of the country adjacent to your own.

Personally, I don't see the fucking problem. People in Europe speak multiple lanuguages (like the ones bordering the country they live in and English).

I think it's mostly semi-literate people who are struggling with their native language of English who are freaking out about this like the lady in the picture.

I suspect you're right in most cases. Unfortunately, the only other language I speak with any ability at all is French, which was enormously useful when I lived in Quebec but is rather limited to giving directions to French tourists here in San Francisco.

I've been learning Spanish - since I started cooking professionally, I have to know it. It's coming along, but I feel as if I'm 4-years old again at times, and it's frustrating. On the other hand, the guys with whom I work are patient and use the opportunity not only to teach me, but to learn as well. I'll ask for the Spanish term, and they'll ask me the English term.

As my Spanish is increasing, I'm getting to know them better and learning more about their lives. I'm impressed as hell with them, not only for their work ethic, but for the personal struggles they maintain.

#40 2008-05-07 15:57:35

Holy Crap! You've almost scared me off H-S with that statement. I played against MENSA in a Moot tournament years back (http://www.mootgame.com/ - if you like word/knowledge/brain games this one's the shit). We won...and afterwards the MENSA people tried to proselytize our entire team. Never in my life have I been surrounded by so many people with bad hygiene and personal space issues. We're talking fat greasy men with horrible teeth pressing their sweaty faces against mine to discuss the correct pronunciation of "steatopygium." Personally, I only join organizations for the pussy...and there wasn't any pussy there that wasn't visibly crawling with cooties. If I want to talk to smart people I have only to turn on my computer. Sure, there are turkeys here too, but at least I can't smell them.

#41 2008-05-07 17:16:13

Taint wrote:

sofaking wrote:

I've been learning Spanish - since I started cooking professionally, I have to know it.

You have to? An estimable level of tolerance, to be sure, but when did it cease being the other way around? I think what gets people's cabra is the contingent of immigrants who fall into one of the following two categories: (A) Those who appear to make no effort to learn the language of the locality that offers them their new livelihood; and (B) Those who seem incapable of mastering even their own language, for whatever reasons inherent to the socioeconomic conditions or educational opportunities in their countries of origin. The problem with ladies like Misspelled Sign Broad is they can't even see to and beyond these levels.

In learning Spanish--nearly two and a half decades ago, at this point--it was not immediately obvious that I was being taught a certain generic dialect; later, a less 'neutral' accent; later still, that one simply did not attempt to speak Spanish in the presence of certain people...your skill level was either offensive, your accent wrong, or you'd actually progressed to a grade level beyond what your audience had learned. The latter is unfortunately common.

I think it is unfair that many Americans still look at Spanish-speaking populations as if they are all the same...while the English Only crowd munch on their tacos or nosh on their paella. It's a very provincial attitude, but if I thought American English was already taught well in our schools, then I'd be all for making sure as many people understood it as possible. Language usage patterns generally follow economics. I remember wondering in the 1980s if I should attempt to learn Mandarin.

#42 2008-05-07 18:51:57

sofaking wrote:

Personally, I don't see the fucking problem. People in Europe speak multiple languages (like the ones bordering the country they live in and English).

People in Europe tend to be much better educated than the Latin American peasants that are flooding into our country, so speaking with someone who doesn’t share your native language is interesting.  The average illegal who enters America has two years or less of formal education.  This is the big difference, America is the only First World country that shares a border with a Turd World country.  The “Spanish” speaking people we encounter do not have an educational level comparable to ours.

I’ve also noted that when Europeans move from one European country to another, they learn the language of the country they move to.  They don’t expect everyone in their new country to deal with them in their native language.  Educated Europeans do tend to speak English; I’ve been in situations where English was the only language everyone had in common.  Linguistic flexibility is required when you live in a part of the world where the language and culture change drastically over short distances.

Some of us are more interested in learning the languages spoken by our ancestors than we are in learning the degraded forms of Spanish spoken by the illiterate filth that has invaded our country.  I’ve encountered people who have been in America for decades and do not speak English.  My non-English speaking ancestors were able to cope with English within a short period of time after they got off the boat.  If I ever emigrate to a non-English speaking country, I will acquire basic linguistic competency within a short period of time so I won’t be helpless in dealing with everyday situations.

#43 2008-05-07 23:12:03

sofaking wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

I always wondered that, too.

Well, yeah, especially when you hear some douche go off about having to "press 1 for English."  They act like that was some kind of government initiative, when really it's just a poorly-designed phone-answering system AT A PRIVATE COMPANY THEY COULD EASILY FUCKING BOYCOTT IF IT'S THAT GODDAMNED IMPORTANT.  Truthfully, I just don't hear that option anymore, but I do hear "press 8 for Spanish" (or "oprima el ocho para espanol"), which makes sense if a lot of your customers are more comfortable in Spanish.  Why don't these fucktards complain about the French that's been on package labels for years?

#44 2008-05-07 23:31:13

tojo2000 wrote:

sofaking wrote:

I love you people.

Uh, no, they probably all thought it was a language for

fnord wrote:

illiterate savages.

#45 2008-05-08 00:42:55

fnord wrote:

I will acquire basic linguistic competency within a short period of time so I won’t be helpless in dealing with everyday situations.

Research has confirmed time and again, you'll swing entirely wide of its nuance, context and pronounciation, unless you haven't yet reached puberty. Language acquistion is painfully difficult for most after that, regardless of educational achievements.

#46 2008-05-08 00:57:37

fnord wrote:

People in Europe tend to be much better educated than the Latin American peasants that are flooding into our country, so speaking with someone who doesn’t share your native language is interesting.  The average illegal who enters America has two years or less of formal education.  This is the big difference, America is the only First World country that shares a border with a Turd World country.  The “Spanish” speaking people we encounter do not have an educational level comparable to ours.

There was a time when the majority of the Europeans who immigrated to the United States were not that well educated, and were frequently illiterate. America has always drawn lower class immigrants looking to make a living - often planning to return home eventually. Nor is the United States the only First World nation bordering a Third World nation. Spain, as a matter of fact, possesses several enclaves on the mainland of Morocco, and is feeling overwhelmed with illegal immigrants from West and North Africa.

fnord wrote:

I’ve also noted that when Europeans move from one European country to another, they learn the language of the country they move to.  They don’t expect everyone in their new country to deal with them in their native language.  Educated Europeans do tend to speak English; I’ve been in situations where English was the only language everyone had in common.  Linguistic flexibility is required when you live in a part of the world where the language and culture change drastically over short distances.

I wish Americans were as good about learning other languages, but - again - even that doesn't always hold true. My mother's family is Scots/English and when an aunt married into a family of Germans living in German speaking communities in Kansas, she was forced to eventually learn German herself. It was the only way to keep her in-laws from talking about her in front of her. On the other hand, my mother's family also has a significant branch in Costa Rica and Guatemala: her uncle emigrated to Costa Rica in the 1940s and married. Those relatives speak both Spanish and English.

fnord wrote:

Some of us are more interested in learning the languages spoken by our ancestors than we are in learning the degraded forms of Spanish spoken by the illiterate filth that has invaded our country.  I’ve encountered people who have been in America for decades and do not speak English.  My non-English speaking ancestors were able to cope with English within a short period of time after they got off the boat.  If I ever emigrate to a non-English speaking country, I will acquire basic linguistic competency within a short period of time so I won’t be helpless in dealing with everyday situations.

A good rule. Not only does learning the language of your new home, or even the place you're visiting, make your stay easier, it's more enjoyable.

But, as were most of the immigrants in our past, many of the immigrants coming to the US now are economic refugees. They're looking for a chance to make a decent wage and support their families. I won't be a Pollyanna and insist that all immigrants are wonderful - there are bad apples in every barrel. But my experience with immigrants of nearly all stripes has been very positive. The people I work with come from an astonishing range of countries: Mexico, El Salvador, Guatamala, and - of all places - Ireland. From within those countries, they speak a wide range of dialects and languages, as well. I have a far easier time understanding those who speak "standard" Mexican Spanish and Californian Spanish than I do those from, say, El Salvador, but to an individual, they're all hardworking, gracious people.

Remember, Fnord, until the early 20th century, the United States did not impose visa restrictions on immigrants. The unwashed masses simply sloughed off from the slums of Europe and showed up in the United States. Only at that point did the immigration process kick in and decide whether or not they were desirable additions to the melting pot. And most of those immigrants were considered undesirable: they were Catholics and Jews, for god's sake and many were quite convinced they were coming here solely to take away jobs from hard-working white, Protestant Americans.

The anxiety hasn't changed; only the focus of the anxiety is different and, in this case, it speaks a wide range of Spanish dialects.

#47 2008-05-08 01:29:22

Taint wrote:

I have a far easier time understanding those who speak "standard" Mexican Spanish and Californian Spanish than I do those from, say, El Salvador

Costa Ricans and Salvadorians are the ying and yang of Latin America.

Cubans are the worst Spanish speakers I know, largely because they tend to speak so fast and chew off the ends of words. Easiest to follow, for reasons I've never entirely understood, are Columbians.

#48 2008-05-08 01:39:52

choad wrote:

Taint wrote:

I have a far easier time understanding those who speak "standard" Mexican Spanish and Californian Spanish than I do those from, say, El Salvador

Costa Ricans and Salvadorians are the ying and yang of Latin America.

Cubans are the worst Spanish speakers I know, largely because they tend to speak so fast and chew off the ends of words. Easiest to follow, for reasons I've never entirely understood, are Columbians.

My Spanish is Colombian, and no one ever has a hard time undestanding me. It's the Midwest of Spanish.

Cubans know they speak the way they do, and do it worse with speakers from other countries. I just know it. I dislike conversing with Cubans.

I learned all mis palabrotas (cusswords) from Mexicans. For people who are supposedly "stupid", according to Fnord, they come up with some funny insults. My favorite translates to "maybe you'll learn to drive in hell".

Last edited by sofaking (2008-05-08 01:40:47)

#49 2008-05-08 01:50:06

My favorite Spanish is Argentinean Spanish; it was selected as the worst accent in all Latin America in a poll I read a while back. I love that it sounds like Italian. I also like Argentinean guys, but that's neither here nor there.

#50 2008-05-08 03:35:44

choad wrote:

fnord wrote:

I will acquire basic linguistic competency within a short period of time so I won’t be helpless in dealing with everyday situations.

Research has confirmed time and again, you'll swing entirely wide of its nuance, context and pronounciation, unless you haven't yet reached puberty. Language acquistion is painfully difficult for most after that, regardless of educational achievements.

I did say basic competency to deal with everyday situations, meaning shopping, paying bills, obtaining directions, that sort of thing.  I realize at my age I’m unlikely to develop the proficiency required to engage in doctorate level coursework.  I’ve had several years of both Spanish and French at the college level, though I can’t claim fluency. I no longer wish to converse with the uneducated Spanish speakers I encounter and don’t have enough opportunity to use French.  I’ve spent a lot of time in Paris and at the time was beginning to feel comfortable speaking a bit of French.  Had I stayed there, I would have reached the point of speaking the language well enough to get by, although with an odd accent.  I also had several years of Latin in high school, which is a big help when I encounter unfamiliar French or Spanish words.

Board footer

cruelery.com