#1 2008-05-06 02:58:27

To prepare, hospitals should designate a triage team with the Godlike task of deciding who will and who won't get lifesaving care, the task force wrote. Those out of luck are the people at high risk of death and a slim chance of long-term survival. But the recommendations get much more specific, and include:

• People older than 85.

• Those with severe trauma, which could include critical injuries from car crashes and shootings.

• Severely burned patients older than 60.

• Those with severe mental impairment, which could include advanced Alzheimer's disease.

• Those with a severe chronic disease, such as advanced heart failure, lung disease or poorly controlled diabetes.

#2 2008-05-06 05:33:58

Hate to be a bummer, but extreme triage rules like these have been around for decades. On the flipside, we reserve vaccines for the elderly, and our society does a great deal to coddle individuals who would have otherwise died without vast amounts of external assistance, some since birth. The system may be unsavory, but it is for use in a "pandemic." Survival of the general population trumps all the other "nice" things we do to pat ourselves on the back that we're such good people, and not animals. I can't find the system too terribly offensive if it's just an aggressive reinforcement of extant darwinism.

#3 2008-05-06 06:17:59

pALEPHx wrote:

Hate to be a bummer, but extreme triage rules like these have been around for decades. On the flipside, we reserve vaccines for the elderly, and our society does a great deal to coddle individuals who would have otherwise died without vast amounts of external assistance, some since birth. The system may be unsavory, but it is for use in a "pandemic." Survival of the general population trumps all the other "nice" things we do to pat ourselves on the back that we're such good people, and not animals. I can't find the system too terribly offensive if it's just an aggressive reinforcement of extant darwinism.

I agree with you pENIx, there need to be selection criteria...and yet...would the people on the list agree?
Who made those judgements? Who said they can speak for all of us?
What if the list-makers didn't value...hmmm...let's say...haven't picked on these guys for a while...queers?
And hey...here's a rationalization...if you're not making babies, what the hell are you doing here? Life is for the propagation of genes...not the boxing of creamy chocolate fondant....
And if the criterion is simply expected lifespan, well - forget the niggers. Dey cant hep theyseffs fum shootin' one anudder reel yung. So dump the nubians in the bio-waste bin and treat those sick white folk. And while we're at it, do the women first, cuz we all know they've got a few extra avg. years on us dick-danglers.
Nah - I can't sanction it. It's an ethical morass. (No QoHS [Queers of High-Stree] not "more ass" morass...it's a deep hole..oh hell...never mind.) The only way to do this properly is to completely blindfold all emergency and medical personnel. It may not be practical, but by Jebus I won't see those poor niggers and queers discriminated against.

#4 2008-05-06 06:32:16

How about this more ass?  Should we spend money and medical resources to keep babies alive in pain that are born with terminal congenital illness?

#5 2008-05-06 08:24:03

We're talking about a realistic application of time here.  Treat the people who have the greatest chance to live.  Survival of the species.

Like pALEPHx said, they've been doing it for decades already, it's just somehow become a news flash to everybody else.  I love how newspapers dig this stuff up and push it on the ignorant assholes out there like it just happened for the first time.  They know they'll get a reaction because they know their audience is clueless about the realities of life.

#6 2008-05-06 08:48:59

I just say that we keep all of the lifesaving drugs on the top floor of a 12 story hospital. At the first sign of trouble, just shut off the elevators. If you can't make it to the infirmary, too bad.

#7 2008-05-06 12:08:31

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I just say that we keep all of the lifesaving drugs on the top floor of a 12 story hospital. At the first sign of trouble, just shut off the elevators. If you can't make it to the infirmary, too bad.

I like that... and you get a nice cardiovascular workout, to boot.

#8 2008-05-06 12:37:34

I just hope the cataclysm happens before midnight.
I'm generally legless afterwards.

#9 2008-05-06 12:51:14

tojo2000 wrote:

How about this more ass?  Should we spend money and medical resources to keep babies alive in pain that are born with terminal congenital illness?

Absolutely we should. Are we Nazis? Is it time to put everyone who can't understand Kafka in a gas chamber?
I knew a kid who was born with terrible teratogenic deformities. Didn't stop him from joining little league (we used him as home plate), and later on, after his brain shut down completely, he moved to the USA and became a politician. Now, I hear, he's a regular on some extremely unpleasant Internet forum.

#10 2008-05-06 12:52:59

tojo2000 wrote:

It's just too bad so many good ideas, like eugenics, were taken too far by the goddamned Nazis.  Other good ideas we can no longer do:  round up lazy-asses and put them in work camps, use people (like convicts or retards) instead of animals for medical experiments (animals are at best imperfect analogs for human systems, anyway), etc. etc.  By that logic, we should have no jet travel or interstate highway system, either, since the Nazis did such crucial legwork on developing those ideas, too...
Just sayin'.

#11 2008-05-06 14:26:27

pALEPHx wrote:

Wow, here's something I thought I'd never hear myself say.  I agree with peNIx.

How's it dangling, ole feller?

#12 2008-05-06 16:38:26

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Nazis....  Kafka in a gas chamber.....

Kafka?  Cockroach?

#13 2008-05-06 19:33:22

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Is it time to put everyone who can't understand Kafka in a gas chamber?

The strains of "What A Wonderful World" just started running through my head...

...Nah.

Parenthetically, anyone who's watched reruns of M*A*S*H knows what "triage" means.  I agree publication of this "news" story was probably motivated by sensationalism; but I also think that the list itself, and the committee that created it, was probably a reaction to the dilemmas some medical personnel found themselves in during Katrina--trapped, water rising, resources limited or nonexistent, many of them had to decide who to "let die," and some of them faced legal action for their decisions after the waters receded.

#14 2008-05-06 19:39:59

Here's one for you folks. The folks that are making the drugs to fight this pandemic are giving a 'free pass' to all their own employees... they have allowed their employees to sign up to get the first drugs off the line when the big one comes, and they will reserve a portion of their drugs for this purpose before distributing them to the channel.  So, if you work for one of those pharmaceutical companies, you're safe.  Oh, and so is your family, because it is extendable to the employee's immediate family members as well. 

So... when it's all over, big pharma will survive.

#15 2008-05-06 19:49:29

whosasailorthen wrote:

The folks that are making the drugs to fight this pandemic are giving a 'free pass' to all their own employees...

This is news to anyone?  Where have ya'll been for....  most of your lives?

Last edited by MSG Tripps (2008-05-06 19:52:51)

#16 2008-05-06 23:18:10

Hate to be a bummer

No, you live to be a bummer.....

#17 2008-05-07 02:46:51

Lurker wrote:

Hate to be a bummer

No, you live to be a bummer.....

Four periods would have sufficed, you glabrous eunuch. Three for the ellipsis, and one for the stop.

#18 2008-05-07 03:01:06

Actually, three would have been quite enough.

#19 2008-05-07 03:07:39

Taint wrote:

Four closes the tag.

#20 2008-05-07 03:23:03

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Taint wrote:

Four closes the tag.

Actually I can't see any reason for an ellipsis in the first place.  George?  We need a ruling.

#21 2008-05-07 05:00:27

tojo2000 wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Taint wrote:

Four closes the tag.

Actually I can't see any reason for an ellipsis in the first place.  George?  We need a ruling.

If Turkey wishes to draw attention to his paucity of thought through means of ellipsis he has every right. We cannot know what he was thinking but not saying (granted it was certainly nothing interesting). Structurally, however, he should close with a full stop to bring a formal end to the sentence.
Something I've been meaning to ask:
Where is Dec?
Where is Douche Ellington?
Both of them had interesting minds. Why are they not here but Turkey is? Or are they not here because Turkey is? That I could understand.

#22 2008-05-07 05:47:55

Roger_That wrote:

How's it dangling, ole feller?

Splendidly...when Lurky Smurf isn't batting my enormous genitals around like a catnip-laden fuzzy toy. It's clearly my week for his Random Brand® Manic Ire. I wonder if I can push Paxil and/or Risperdal to him via FTP...

#23 2008-05-07 07:40:44

tojo2000 wrote:

An ellipsis is three periods, and if it comes at the end of a sentence you do not add a fourth.  The ellipsis is meant to show the phrase trailing off without an emphatic ending...

As for "reason," Grammar Bitch will not judge.  The rules of grammar and spelling exist to help you make yourself understood; they should not restrict your ability to express yourself.  Besides, I probably use ellipses too often myself.

Last edited by George Orr (2008-05-07 07:41:05)

#24 2008-05-07 08:45:45

George Orr wrote:

As for "reason," Grammar Bitch will not judge.  The rules of grammar and spelling exist to help you make yourself understood; they should not restrict your ability to express yourself.  Besides, I probably use ellipses too often myself.

Yes, we all have our own grammatical crosses to bear (excessive use of parenthetical digressions being one of mine), so it's best not to judge too harshly.

#25 2008-05-07 15:35:59

George Orr wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

An ellipsis is three periods, and if it comes at the end of a sentence you do not add a fourth.  The ellipsis is meant to show the phrase trailing off without an emphatic ending...

Hey George -  I'm caretaking and don't have any style guides with me, but I can certainly find lots of Internet support for my POV.

This is from Wikipedia, following Chicago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

"An ellipsis at the end of the sentence which ends with a period (or such a period followed by an ellipsis), appears, therefore, as four dots."

and farther down (and most relevant to our discussion):

"An ellipsis at the end of a sentence with no sentence following should be followed by a period (for a total of four dots)."

I can also find a degree of equivocation; not everyone agrees with  wiki and me. It will be interesting to see if Mr. Fowler has anything to say about it when I'm home again.

#26 2008-05-07 15:41:31

I'll have to pull out my Chicago manual, but for now it's time to head off to work. Deep in my heart, WCL, I believe you're wrong and doomed to Grammar Hell where you will be forced to spend an eternity reading the collected works of CuntWeasel while Debbie Boone plays in a continual loop over the sound system.

#27 2008-05-07 16:06:09

Taint wrote:

I'll have to pull out my Chicago manual, but for now it's time to head off to work. Deep in my heart, WCL, I believe you're wrong and doomed to Grammar Hell where you will be forced to spend an eternity reading the collected works of CuntWeasel while Debbie Boone plays in a continual loop over the sound system.

Pull out your Chicago...but don't stop there. No one style guide can ever define a language. The last mag. I worked at one of the jobs I set myself was to write a style guide for the publication, partly for glory, but also because I have issues with the CP (Canadian Press) style guide in common usage this side of the 49th. By the way, thank you for not putting me in a small room with Turkey in Hell. The Sartrian irony might have been amusing, but it would have tinged my day with nausea. I've never heard Debbie Boone, but I'll take my chances.

#28 2008-05-07 16:13:59

Taint wrote:

Deep in my heart, WCL, I believe you're wrong and doomed to Grammar Hell where you will be forced to spend an eternity reading the collected works of CuntWeasel....

I know that Cuntweasel had some grammar and spelling problems, but behind the mask brewed powerful genius. I, for one, greatly miss the fellow, and I hope, wherever he is, that's he's found some measure of peace.

#29 2008-05-07 16:40:30

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

No one style guide can ever define a language.

Attention to spelling and typing is more or less a prerequisite for any grammar or style considerations, or so I figure. ;P <- what do Strunk & White have to say about these?

#30 2008-05-08 01:48:08

George Orr wrote:

An ellipsis is three periods, and if it comes at the end of a sentence you do not add a fourth.

My instinct was the same as George's, but another respected source disagrees.

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary wrote:

When four dots are used, the ellipsis indicates the omission of one or more sentences within the passage or the omission of words at the end of a sentence.  The first or the last of the four dots is a period.

In the little world in which children have their existence, . . . there is nothing so finely perceived and so finely felt as injustice.--Charles Dickens

Security is mostly a superstition. . . . Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. . . . Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.--Helen Keller

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary wrote:

Indicates halting speech or an unfinished sentence in dialogue.

"I'd like to . . . that is . . . if you don't mind . . . ."

[Edit: might have to check the spacing on that last example when I get back to work.  Stay tuned for further updates.]

The Government Printing Office feels the same as Webster, though follows the somewhat unique practice of primarily using asterisks as ellipses.

Edit: not to pile on, but yet another source says four.

The American Heritage Dictionary wrote:

Indicate, by four spaced points, the omission of words at the end of a sentence:

Nor have we been wanting in Attentions to our British Brethren. . . . They too have been deaf to the Voice of Justice. . . .

However:

The American Heritage Dictionary wrote:

Are sometimes used as a device to catch and hold the reader's interest, especially in advertising copy:

To help you Move and Grow
with the Rigors of
Business in the 1980's . . .
and Beyond.
--The Journal of Business Strategy

Last edited by square (2008-05-08 02:11:29)

#31 2008-05-08 01:52:17

Just out of curiosity, Square, is that the 11th edition?

#32 2008-05-08 02:14:02

Looks like we crossed each other on the edit.  I'll have to see when I get back to work.  The American Heritage Dictionary is the Second College Edition.

Last edited by square (2008-05-08 02:15:36)

#33 2008-05-08 12:21:20

Taint wrote:

The 10th, actually.

And I did screw up the spacing on the "halting speech" example.  It should be:

"I'd like to . . . that is . . . if you don't mind. . . ."

#34 2008-05-08 13:28:45

square wrote:

Taint wrote:

The 10th, actually.

And I did screw up the spacing on the "halting speech" example.  It should be:

"I'd like to . . . that is . . . if you don't mind. . . ."

And here's an example of the plasticity of everything, and the ephemeral nature of rules. Text, competing with advertising and design, has less room to wiggle than it used to, forcing editors to apply the tracking, kerning and leading functions in Quark or InDesign to jam more copy into increasingly smaller spaces. The trend in editing/type setting is to conserve space, which is slowly training the editorial eye out of wasteful practices. Have you noticed the gradual disappearance of the double space between sentences? It may look better to us NOW, but for many it was long a typographic abortion. Same with the ellipses. For all that I love style guides and language "rules" I don't space them out...anymore. In the future, style guides may instruct us to omit the spaces, or they may even tell us to use but three dots if...you know....

#35 2008-05-08 14:27:15

I've got piles of style guides around my apartment, including the infernal AP guide. When I was a reporter, I used it constantly. Now, some six years later, I find I still use AP style even in my personal writing. I just can't seem to break the habit.

#36 2008-05-08 16:06:23

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

forcing editors to apply the tracking, kerning and leading functions in Quark....

It's true. No matter the kind of composition, the trend is toward economy. Giving up a couple of points (or punctuation marks) here and there to make something look tighter has been the practice since at least 1990 (even if form has been following function for a good deal longer).

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/47_az_licenseplate.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by pALEPHx (2008-05-08 16:19:35)

#37 2008-05-08 16:44:06

Taint wrote:

I've got piles of style guides around my apartment, including the infernal AP guide. When I was a reporter, I used it constantly. Now, some six years later, I find I still use AP style even in my personal writing. I just can't seem to break the habit.

Warning: vague, not-necessarily cogent, possibly boring ramblings ahead:
Personally, I think intelligent eccentricity is a marvellous shaper of language. I don't mind seeing rules decay and disappear as long as what's left makes sense. However, there's an historical tendency (of which the spelling reform movement is the prime example) in the States (and to a lesser degree in England) towards simplification of grammar and spelling (even the "s" on "towards" may seem foreign to some), and that's not always a good thing. Take, for example, the virtual disappearance of the word "centre" below the 49th. Centre is a great little word. At times, it can save lives, by directing people to an organization dedicated to solving a problem, rather than to the middle of the problem itself. (Ha ha?) On a broader level, crunts like Strunk & White argued for clear, concise writing, which went a long way towards making sense out of a mongrel bitch of a language to the illiterate melting pot at large, but in their quest for purity they may have added fuel to an anti-anglo, anti-intellectual atmosphere that celebrated the common man to the detriment of language, which should be free, at times, to work itself into complex and intractable knots. (As you might guess, I loathe Hemmingway, love Faulkner.) Anyways. . .(haha). . .that's enough of that.

#38 2008-05-08 18:05:30

Personally, I think intelligent eccentricity is a marvellous shaper of language. I don't mind seeing rules decay and disappear as long as what's left makes sense.

I'm 100% with you there--I love idiom.  I love local dialects.  As far as "what's left making sense," that has to happen.  It might as well be a law of nature.  All dialects have grammatical structure, however incomprehensible they may be to outsiders--a language without rules of grammar would just be gibberish.

#39 2008-05-08 18:28:24

George Orr wrote:

Personally, I think intelligent eccentricity is a marvellous shaper of language. I don't mind seeing rules decay and disappear as long as what's left makes sense.

I'm 100% with you there--I love idiom.  I love local dialects.  As far as "what's left making sense," that has to happen.  It might as well be a law of nature.  All dialects have grammatical structure, however incomprehensible they may be to outsiders--a language without rules of grammar would just be gibberish.

Interesting, George...and yes, you've caught me trying to defy a tautology: language=meaning, if not, it isn't language. Perhaps I should have said:"...as long as what's left is as rich in linguistic potential as what came before." Even that can probably be picked away at, but I can't help but feel that as words (such as centre) are sloughed, and as spelling and grammar are reduced to uniformity, we lose some linguistic potential for texture and richness, if only through the process of historical disconnection.

#40 2008-05-08 19:59:34

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

I don't mind seeing rules decay and disappear as long as what's left makes sense.

A mongrel bitch of a language she is.  It's interesting that the arguably most complex language and least consistent language on the planet would become the lingua franca of the business and scientific world.   

Given that I have to learn and retain huge amounts of new proper names and acronyms constantly, I don't mind seeing words devolve into archaism.  I use them to sound pretentious and piss people off. 

OMG, MB I SHD LRN TXTN.  Hey, it's efficient... like Esperanto!

#41 2008-05-08 20:51:10

opsec wrote:

OMG, MB I SHD LRN TXTN.  Hey, it's efficient... like Esperanto!

Odd. I was just going to say it was beginning to resemble Hebrew.

#42 2008-05-08 22:16:05

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Have you noticed the gradual disappearance of the double space between sentences? It may look better to us NOW, but for many it was long a typographic abortion. Same with the ellipses. For all that I love style guides and language "rules" I don't space them out...anymore. In the future, style guides may instruct us to omit the spaces, or they may even tell us to use but three dots if...you know....

I hate the lack of a double-space between sentences.  I blame HTML and all its bastard children.

The World Wide Web is still a largely textual medium, but rather than use that exposure to increase their literary skills people have created a web of implied meanings and a sea of acronyms that are not only virtually impossible to read but boil every possible statement into a small series of phrases that everyone already knows and are completely redundant.

Also, those damn kids with their cellphones keep leaving footprints on my grass.

#43 2008-05-08 23:00:45

tojo2000 wrote:

I hate the lack of a double-space between sentences.  I blame HTML and all its bastard children.

Dang.  You too?  That drives me nuts.

#44 2008-05-08 23:40:56

tojo2000 wrote:

Also, those damn kids with their cellphones keep leaving footprints on my grass.

The little hellions.

#45 2008-05-09 02:38:52

tojo2000 wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Have you noticed the gradual disappearance of the double space between sentences? It may look better to us NOW, but for many it was long a typographic abortion. Same with the ellipses. For all that I love style guides and language "rules" I don't space them out...anymore. In the future, style guides may instruct us to omit the spaces, or they may even tell us to use but three dots if...you know....

The World Wide Web is still a largely textual medium, but rather than use that exposure to increase their literary skills people have created a web of implied meanings and a sea of acronyms that are not only virtually impossible to read but boil every possible statement into a small series of phrases that everyone already knows and are completely redundant.

ROFL my arse off, Tojo.

#46 2008-05-09 22:33:02

I've still never fully recovered from the disappearance of the double space between the name of the state and the ZIP code. I just feel something is missing every time I type an address and it opens a deep, unbearable abyss within my soul.

#47 2008-05-09 22:51:40

Taint wrote:

I've still never fully recovered from the disappearance of the double space between the name of the state and the ZIP code. I just feel something is missing every time I type an address and it opens a deep, unbearable abyss within my soul.

I still put the two spaces before the ZIP Code.  I also space twice at the end of a sentence.

I may be an outlaw, but I'm at peace with myself, and that's what matters.

#48 2008-05-09 22:54:04

George Orr wrote:

...  I'm at peace with myself, and that's what matters.

I can dig that.

#49 2008-05-09 22:56:32

George Orr wrote:

Taint wrote:

I still put the two spaces before the ZIP Code.  I also space twice at the end of a sentence.

I can only gaze in wonderment at your fortitude.

#50 2008-05-09 23:00:03

Taint wrote:

George Orr wrote:

Taint wrote:

I can only gaze in wonderment at your fortitude.

I can only gaze in wonderment. Two spaces before the ZIP Code? Are you trying to bring down the rapture?
Will no one rid me of this meddlesome grammarian?

Board footer

cruelery.com