#1 2008-09-16 17:02:20

power to the people!

http://www.redroom.com/blog/tim-wise/th … -privilege

& a shout-out to fnord!

#2 2008-09-17 00:50:12

Look, Fnord. You get shout-outs now.

Good article btw, Outhere.

#3 2008-09-17 00:57:18

Waht Parr!!!  Waht Parr!!!  Waht Parr!!!

#4 2008-09-17 21:47:21

I figure to help round out the argument over white privilege I'd offer up this link.....   http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl … ivile.html

#5 2008-09-17 21:54:48

My favorite white privilege is the secret room at Chuck-E-Cheez with the water slide.

#6 2008-09-17 21:58:52

Jesus fuck--you linked to John Stossel without warning us.

Now I have to throw my computer in the garbage.  Thanks a pantload.

#7 2008-09-17 22:01:55

George Orr wrote:

Nothing wrong with a little dose of Libertarianism from time to time!!!!

#8 2008-09-17 22:23:15

George Orr wrote:

Ahhhhh!  So you're an anti-semite!

#9 2008-09-17 22:37:58

Zookeeper wrote:

George Orr wrote:

If that's what it takes to get rid of John Stossel, then sign me up.

#10 2008-09-18 01:17:16

tojo2000 wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

George Orr wrote:

I'm intrigued.  Why do you hate him so?  Is it just because you disagree with him?

#11 2008-09-18 01:53:19

Zookeeper wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

I'm intrigued.  Why do you hate him so?  Is it just because you disagree with him?

To tell you the truth it was just a stupid joke, but now that I've read his article, yes, I disagree with him profoundly.  I was pretty sure that I would just by someone else on this thread calling him a libertarian, but to sum up his article, "Look, I found a black man who thinks black people are irresponsible whiners, therefore there is no white privilege!".  He's a fucking moron.  We don't have to return to the 1950's just to prove that racism affects the lives of black people.

Also, just looking at the picture that he chooses to show of himself, I also deduce that he's a douchebag.

#12 2008-09-18 02:34:15

tojo2000 wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

To tell you the truth it was just a stupid joke, but now that I've read his article, yes, I disagree with him profoundly.  I was pretty sure that I would just by someone else on this thread calling him a libertarian, but to sum up his article, "Look, I found a black man who thinks black people are irresponsible whiners, therefore there is no white privilege!".  He's a fucking moron.  We don't have to return to the 1950's just to prove that racism affects the lives of black people.

I've read the article a couple times and just can't find the place where he said racism doesn't affect the lives of black people.  Nor did he say say there was no white privilege.  He said there is. 

He summed up the article with the statement "There is black privilege -- and white privilege. It's time to stop complaining about past discrimination and to treat people as individuals, not as members of a certain race."  What horse shit.  The best way for people of color to succeed in life is by complaining about the greater discrimination of the past and the lesser discrimination of the present.  That way you always have an excuse for failing: The Great White Bigot.

#13 2008-09-18 06:50:58

"Everybody just got to keep fucking everybody till we're all the same color."
- Sen. J. Billington Bulworth

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/430_bulwo.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#14 2008-09-18 07:18:33

karenw wrote:

"Everybody just got to keep fucking everybody till we're all the same color."
- Sen. J. Billington Bulworth

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/430_bulwo.jpg

It makes you change colors?

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#15 2008-09-18 08:47:16

tojo2000 wrote:

It makes you change colors?

If not, then you're doing it wrong.

#16 2008-09-18 10:24:33

I couldn't even begin to list the bs in this article...

I'll throw a few out there, though. They comment on the size of Alaska being a qualifier for Sarah... hmmm... doesn't it have about the same population as the state represented by the VP from the left?

They talk about how the Constitution says we have to read the rights to terrorists? Are you for real? Non-American enemy combatants are entitled to the same rights as American citizens? Since when? Also, I might add, on the same note, we are still at war with the Taliban and Al Qaeda, so we aren't required to release our prisoners of war. Sorry... Can you imagine releasing our Nazi prisoners before we defeated Germany? idiocy... pure and simple. I realize this has nothing to do with the article but I find it funny when people want to try enemy combatants and send them home...

Ok, so now if you are a gun enthusiast you should be disqualified from being a VP? That is about the most liberal crap I've ever heard in my life and a vast majority of Americans would agree with me. Just because they say it in New England, California and Chicago doesn't mean the rest of the country agrees with you. idiots....

"Community organizer"? Tell me, someone, exactly what accomplishments can Obama claim as a "community organizer"? For that matter, what accomplishments can he claim as a state senator (other than voting "present" about 150 times) or as a US senator? The guy is Mr Ambition, nothing more.

#17 2008-09-18 10:35:58

ptah13 wrote:

They talk about how the Constitution says we have to read the rights to terrorists? Are you for real? Non-American enemy combatants are entitled to the same rights as American citizens? Since when? Also, I might add, on the same note, we are still at war with the Taliban and Al Qaeda, so we aren't required to release our prisoners of war. Sorry... Can you imagine releasing our Nazi prisoners before we defeated Germany? idiocy... pure and simple. I realize this has nothing to do with the article but I find it funny when people want to try enemy combatants and send them home...

POW treatment are covered in the third article of the Geneva Conventions, while Bush is using every legal means possible to skirt these conventions the general consensus leans towards the fact that if you are in enemy hands (and the enemy is a signatory like we are) you are then entitled to fair treatment under the Third Geneva Convention.  The idea of "unlawful combatants" is revolting and anti-american.

Repatriation of enemy combatants is an entirely different story.

#18 2008-09-18 11:35:30

Emmeran wrote:

ptah13 wrote:

POW treatment are covered in the third article of the Geneva Conventions

Yes, and the Fourth Geneva Convention stipulates that to qualify as a "prisoner of war" you have to be captured wearing a uniform.  Perhaps you think the conventions need updating but as it stands Taliban fighters captured on the battlefield with no discernible uniform fall into a gray area and arguably don't qualify for "prisoner of war" status under the Geneva Conventions.

#19 2008-09-18 16:47:43

We are at war? I think I would have remembered if the Congress would have passed that resolution!

Board footer

cruelery.com