#1 2007-10-26 21:10:12

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=u … 1122739530

Also, some stats from Greg Palast (so I'm not going to vouch for their accuracy):

Population of San Diego fire evacuation zone:  500,000
Population of the New Orleans flood evacuation zone:  500,000

White folk as a % of evacuees, San Diego: 66%
Black folk as % of evacuees, New Orleans:  67%

Evacuees in San Diego, in poverty:  9%
Evacuees in New Orleans, in poverty:  27%

New Orleans flood deaths:  1,577.   
California celebrity fire deaths:  5.

#2 2007-10-26 21:28:55

I got a good chuckle out of the fake News Conference story.  What dimwit thought they had a chance in hell of getting away with that?

#3 2007-10-26 23:26:28

Yeah, I called this on day 1.  If FEMA does a bad job in California they will get roasted for it (and of course it will be Bush's fault they did a bad job).  If they do a good job in California it will be because they only care about wealthy white people.  There really was no good move for FEMA on this one.

#4 2007-10-26 23:31:17

That's probably true Zoo, but FEMA just shot themselves in the foot before they got their shoes on for this one.  The fact that Brownie now fronts one of the largest private disaster companies (which contracts to guess who) only compounds their image problem.

#5 2007-10-27 01:57:56

Zookeeper wrote:

Yeah, I called this on day 1.  If FEMA does a bad job in California they will get roasted for it (and of course it will be Bush's fault they did a bad job).  If they do a good job in California it will be because they only care about wealthy white people.  There really was no good move for FEMA on this one.

All the more reason not to do stupid Rovian/DubyaCo shit like putting fake reporters into a news conference. 

January 20th, 2009 is coming.  And not a moment too soon.

#6 2007-10-27 04:20:34

There is one tiny ray of light in this fiasco; I saw it on the evening news before I saw it here or somewhere else on the web.  Could it possibly mean reporters are beginning to wake up and do their jobs instead of just reading official press releases handed to them by the administration?

#7 2007-10-27 13:44:21

fnord wrote:

There is one tiny ray of light in this fiasco; I saw it on the evening news before I saw it here or somewhere else on the web.  Could it possibly mean reporters are beginning to wake up and do their jobs instead of just reading official press releases handed to them by the administration?

Only reason reporters gave a shit was that they mere pushed out of the action. If only they had had real reporters in, they could easily have given the reporters the same questions to ask, and nobody would have cared. You can't expect to replace a man with a robot and not have him get upset.

Board footer

cruelery.com