#2 2009-01-17 08:48:05

The "cheaper workers" they hired -- 19-year-old urban rimspinners who'd dropped out of the 7th grade--didn't even want to keep their jobs long enough to be able to draw unemployment -- that shithole offered the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

#3 2009-01-17 09:32:43

exdwarf wrote:

The "cheaper workers" they hired -- 19-year-old urban rimspinners who'd dropped out of the 7th grade--didn't even want to keep their jobs long enough to be able to draw unemployment -- that shithole offered the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

Yeah, they were awful on many levels.  Back in the 90s, they had commissioned workers and actually trained them on the products, which is why you got somewhat knowledgeable people who could answer your questions.  Well, that cost money and cut into the margins, so they got rid of the commissioned pay structure, which caused most of those workers to leave.  They also got sued because they have an employment arbitration clause that all of their employees were subject to which prohibited them from suing Circuit City in state court or federal court and made arbitration the exclusive remedy.  I feel bad for the 30K who will lose their jobs, but Circuit City sucked ass.

#4 2009-01-17 21:04:54

Within a one mile radius of my home, there's a Circuit City, a Mervyns, and a Linens & Things. With the economy the way it is, no one knows that anything will occupy these spaces for a very long time.

#5 2009-01-18 00:34:19

pALEPHx wrote:

Within a one mile radius of my home, there's a Circuit City, a Mervyns, and a Linens & Things. With the economy the way it is, no one knows that anything will occupy these spaces for a very long time.

Sounds like a free rent opportunity, start packing.

#6 2009-01-18 01:46:10

pALEPHx wrote:

Sadly my company had lent money to at least one of those...

#7 2009-01-18 07:43:48

Emmeran wrote:

To what end?

hedgewizard wrote:

If I wanted to live in a big, hollowed out shell of building with no heat, no running water, and the constant threat of eviction by overzealous cops, then I would've stayed in NYC and moved into one of those squatters tenements in the East Village.

#8 2009-01-18 13:44:58

pALEPHx wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

To what end?

hedgewizard wrote:

If I wanted to live in a big, hollowed out shell of building with no heat, no running water, and the constant threat of eviction by overzealous cops, then I would've stayed in NYC and moved into one of those squatters tenements in the East Village.

And Phoenix was an improvement?

#10 2009-01-20 01:03:11

Taint wrote:

And Phoenix was an improvement?

Not really, no.

Board footer

cruelery.com