#1 2009-01-23 14:26:45

G.O.,  Did you watch the opening salvo of the show the other night?  I love this series.  It's like they purposely jump the shark in every episode and it just makes it better.

#2 2009-01-23 14:45:26

The level of excitement over LOST in the Orr household transcended nerdgasm.  It is really embarrassing that grown people act this way over a TV show.

Husband™, who displays enthusiasm over exactly nothing in the world, started asking me a little after Thanksgiving, "When is it that LOST comes back on the air, again?" and I'd tell him, "January 21st; recap ep starts at seven CST and then we get two hours of new stuff."  Husband™ will deny that this happened; but it did, several times.

I loved the plot developments we got Wed. night.  I am hooked on this thing right through the vitals.  I have got to find out how this story ends.

#3 2009-01-23 14:46:58

George Orr wrote:

I have got to find out how this story ends.

I get the feeling that the writers are in the same boat.

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2009-01-23 14:47:09)

#4 2009-01-26 00:36:51

I just hope they don't turn it into some kind of "24" with them battling the bad guy who chases the island all over time or something hokey like that....

#5 2009-01-28 01:04:38

Did someone say nerdgasm?

Space Corps Directive #5796
No officer above the rank of mess sergeant is permitted to go into combat with pierced nipples.

#6 2009-01-28 09:37:08

square wrote:

Did someone say nerdgasm?

Space Corps Directive #5796
No officer above the rank of mess sergeant is permitted to go into combat with pierced nipples.

Don't be hatin' on the Red Dwarf. It was a show approximately 1 billion years ahead of it's time.

#7 2009-01-28 11:17:04

Red Dwarf was a massively great thing to run across on PBS very, very late at night.  It became "appointment TV" for me about three minutes into the first episode I saw.  Smeg is used as a cuss word in our household to this day.

#8 2009-01-29 01:41:00

Tonight - Awesome

#9 2009-01-29 01:58:49

George Orr wrote:

Red Dwarf was a massively great thing to run across on PBS very, very late at night.  It became "appointment TV" for me about three minutes into the first episode I saw.  Smeg is used as a cuss word in our household to this day.

Fucking Hell - I LOVED this show in the early '90's, and tried to share it with my current swain, who declared it "the worst thing I've ever seen."

It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere, I'm all alone, more or less...

Last edited by exdwarf (2009-01-29 02:01:03)

#10 2009-01-29 11:11:04

For some reason I do not understand, I have a penchant for stories involving time travel conundrums.  Lost is now playing into my wheelhouse.  I'm hooked.

#11 2009-01-29 17:13:53

Gor, NewlyTall

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/ja … t-reunited

Last edited by orangeplus (2009-01-29 17:14:21)

#12 2009-01-30 15:24:29

George, I'm wondering if you've seen Pratchett's _The Color of Magic_?  I've never read any of the Discworld series, but I really did enjoy this movie.

I'm not sure if this was even released in the US... I got an HD version that was broadcast on SkyOne.

#13 2009-01-30 15:32:23

opsec wrote:

George, I'm wondering if you've seen Pratchett's _The Color of Magic_?  I've never read any of the Discworld series, but I really did enjoy this movie.

I'm not sure if this was even released in the US... I got an HD version that was broadcast on SkyOne.

I've never seen any of the movies.  I know of The Colour of Magic, an animated Soul Music and a recent BBC production of Hogfather.

Pratchett's funny as all hell.  His earlier books (Colour of Magic being one of those) are a bit heavy on the Monty Python/Douglas Adams style of humor, which gets old if it ain't your style; but his later novels are some of the best satire I've ever read.

#14 2009-02-18 16:43:51

Ran across this on another board...

just as the clock is about to strike 9pm on Wednesday night...
by turketron    Feb 18th, 2009     02:14:47 PM
You hear a weird high pitched sound, and soon everything around you begins to get really bright.... it gets louder and louder and brighter and brighter until you feel like you can't stand it anymore and you cradle your head, and then *POOM*. You're standing in front of your tv, and you notice yourself watching Flight 815 break apart on your standard definition television. You've just time warped back to the series premier of Lost.
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU U---

SONAVA....(WVEEEEEEOOOOPPP)

Bitch.

If I had balls, they'd be blue today.

#15 2009-02-18 17:01:54

I normally avoid serial type TV dramas because I hate that they go on forever like X Files or soap operas with no definitive answers or endings.  This reminded me of the to-be-continued western shorts they used to show at the movies when I was a kid (we're going way back now).  I hated those too because I couldn't afford to go to the movies every weekend to see the next episode.  At least the producers of Lost have promised to wrap it all up with a real ending for the series by year after next.  There is hope for we the addicted ones.

#16 2009-02-18 17:15:04

Don't you folks kind of worry there is no point to this show? Like the writers don't even know what the hell is going on? I read an insightful piece in the NY times a year ago or so, a review, that basically suggested noone on this whole series has any clue, they just throw out more and more esoteric shit and there is no answer, no key, no single here's what happened to it all.
I watched Twin Peaks religiously when it came out a long time ago and I was so pissed off at the end when it was clear all the writers just dropped a bunch of acid before writing the last episode. There was no point. And then the Sopranos-God, I loved the Sopranos-and the last episode, despite all protestations to the contrary-was the biggest fuck you to its viewers ever. Again, I was so irritated I had wasted any time at all wondering how it was all going to end up.
I sound like JLP talking about love, but fuck it, I'm not watching some shit show I get all involved in that has no possible ending.  Life has no neat wrap up-so I need my entertainment to.

#17 2009-02-18 17:40:22

Not sure if they are doing this in all the markets but here in Dallas they show the previous week's show an hour before the new show.  In the re-run they add a bunch of pop-up info items such as "We first met Desmond in episode [yadda yadda] when he was discovered manning the Hatch."  A lot of the tips point out things I completely missed the first time around.  Good for those of us who suffer from CRS disease.

#18 2009-02-18 17:52:39

icangetyouatoe wrote:

Don't you folks kind of worry there is no point to this show? Like the writers don't even know what the hell is going on? I read an insightful piece in the NY times a year ago or so, a review, that basically suggested noone on this whole series has any clue, they just throw out more and more esoteric shit and there is no answer, no key, no single here's what happened to it all.
I watched Twin Peaks religiously when it came out a long time ago and I was so pissed off at the end when it was clear all the writers just dropped a bunch of acid before writing the last episode. There was no point. And then the Sopranos-God, I loved the Sopranos-and the last episode, despite all protestations to the contrary-was the biggest fuck you to its viewers ever. Again, I was so irritated I had wasted any time at all wondering how it was all going to end up.
I sound like JLP talking about love, but fuck it, I'm not watching some shit show I get all involved in that has no possible ending.  Life has no neat wrap up-so I need my entertainment to.

This is actually one of the things that Heroes does pretty well.  There is a main story arc for the particular season with plenty of other characters and story arcs that keep things interesting, but with a real sense of completion at the end of each season instead of just one of those "haha, you thought you figured it out, but fuck you, nothing's resolved" moments.

#19 2009-02-18 17:53:54

icangetyouatoe wrote:

Don't you folks kind of worry there is no point to this show? Like the writers don't even know what the hell is going on?

This has always been what I suspected.

#20 2009-02-18 18:18:05

icangetyouatoe wrote:

Don't you folks kind of worry there is no point to this show? Like the writers don't even know what the hell is going on?

It has been widely reported that the creators do, in fact, have a definite story arc which will incorporate most (not all) of the hints and clues they've laid down over the years.

Essentially, the story is this:  They had a story they wanted to tell.  Season One took off like a rocket on meth and it was the most popular thing in evar, and suddenly they had a hit and had no idea how long they had to stretch this story out.  I read an interview where one of them said, in effect, "Do I have to tell this story in ninety pages?  Or do I have to tell it in nine HUNDRED pages?  Or some number in between?"  This is the reason S2 and S3 so often seemed to drag and to go over old ground...they were simply unsure of how long they had to drag things out.

At some point around the time of the writers' strike, the producers met with ABC, and they and the network hammered out an unprecedented deal:  The show would run six years.  They were guaranteed their six years, come what may.  They would end their story in that time.  If the ratings tank, ABC will still air the show.  If the ratings are better than God's, the show will still end at the planned time.

So now they know EXACTLY how many episodes they have in which to tell their story.  And that is why last season crackled, and this season is MELTING MY FUCKING BRAIN, and I have every expectation that the final season (next year) will continue in this vein.

And when it's all over?  I am going to get the DVD's and watch the whole fucking thing over from the beginning, to see all the stuff I missed or dismissed the first time around.

For instance, do you remember the episode in which Boone died?  Do you remember that the reason Boone climbed up to the crashed plane and Locke stayed below was that Locke's leg had gone wonky and stopped working for no apparent reason?  I thought at the time that maybe Locke's paralysis was coming back, and then I forgot all about it...and then this season, Locke got shot in the leg at that exact location during one of his time-trips.

I didn't even realize it during the episode.  It took a couple days.  And then something in my brain went pop.  I actually heard a small noise.

It isn't that the story is such a great story (though I am enjoying it thoroughly).  It's the way they're telling it.

#21 2009-02-18 18:24:20

Oh, and toe, in re Twin Peaks:  It was meant to run for one season, and Season 1 is still some of the greatest TV ever aired.  But it was very popular, and the network didn't want to let go of a popular show, so they backed dump trucks full of cash into David Lynch and Mark Frost's driveways, or held their mamas hostage, or something, and we got the chaotic mess that was Season 2.  I suspect that Lynch and Frost deliberately sabotaged that season...But anyway, revisit Season 1 and try to forget S2 ever happened.  (Like with the Matrix sequels!)

#22 2009-02-18 19:06:36

Georgi wrote:

I didn't even realize it during the episode.  It took a couple days.  And then something in my brain went pop.  I actually heard a small noise.

It isn't that the story is such a great story (though I am enjoying it thoroughly).  It's the way they're telling it.

See, that's a perfect example of what makes the story so well told.  They bring in little throwaways you sometimes get and sometimes miss (I missed that one completely).  It's like a very good comedian who doesn't need to milk for laughs because everything he says is gut busting funny, even though you laugh through some of it. 

The writers also throw props to historical places and people.  They named the egghead scientist in the story Faraday.  Michael Faraday was a brilliant 19th century physicist and chemist who established the basis for electromagnetism and electric motors and made discoveries in chemistry as well.

#23 2009-02-19 00:15:23

George Orr wrote:

At some point around the time of the writers' strike, the producers met with ABC, and they and the network hammered out an unprecedented deal:  The show would run six years.  They were guaranteed their six years, come what may.  They would end their story in that time.  If the ratings tank, ABC will still air the show.  If the ratings are better than God's, the show will still end at the planned time.

Too bad JMS didn't have the same deal for Babylon 5.  It would have ended much more gracefully.

#24 2009-02-19 00:19:01

phreddy wrote:

The writers also throw props to historical places and people.  They named the egghead scientist in the story Faraday.  Michael Faraday was a brilliant 19th century physicist and chemist who established the basis for electromagnetism and electric motors and made discoveries in chemistry as well.

Another example of similar cross-pollination: in the show that airs just after Lost, Life On Mars, the main character (Sam) who is trapped in 1973 has a mother named Rose Tyler. 

Note: If you don't watch the newer Doctor Who episodes you won't get the connection.  Of course, if you do get the connection it isn't really anything to be particularly proud of.

#25 2009-02-19 01:24:36

Can't watch it. Battlestar Galactica is messing with my mind enough.

#26 2009-02-19 17:40:10

pALEPHx wrote:

Actually, this final season is practically redeeming the entire series run.  Up until now it was just black with a background of more black.

#27 2009-02-19 18:05:10

Zookeeper wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

Actually, this final season is practically redeeming the entire series run.  Up until now it was just black with a background of more black.

And apparently a directory of photography with Parkinson's.

Board footer

cruelery.com