#51 2007-11-01 10:04:44

Nevertheless, no matter how much merit your points have to a general discussion of restricting protests, they do not have much application to this particular ruling. With the possible exception of how much their proximity or the brewhaha contributed to the amount of highly offensive behavior needed to be sufficient for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Could they have been succesfully sued for the part of their Snyder funeral protest posted on their website and distributed in press releases? 

Just one more little wafer-thin mint for you to chew on,  hon.

Last edited by Johnny Rotten (2007-11-01 10:18:39)

#52 2007-11-01 10:21:04

Johnny Rotten wrote:

Nevertheless, no matter how much merit your points have to a general discussion of restricting protests, they do not have much application to this particular ruling. With the possible exception of how much their proximity or the brewhaha contributed to the amount of outrageous behavior needed to be sufficient for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Could they have been succesfully sued if they had just posted their protest on their website and distributed in published press releases? 

Just one more little wafer-thin mint for you to chew on,  hon.

Bingo, asshole.  My points are very relevant to the actual case.  The first amendment is merely an affirmative defense.  The underlying case is intentional infliction of emotional distress and invasion of privacy.  The very nature and existence of these two torts is a limitation of free speech rights (as are the torts of libel, slander and defamation).  And as to whether they could have been sucessfully sued if they had only protested on the web and distributed published press releases...it depends on whether there were actual damages.  Did the family see the website or the flyers?  How were they affected by it?  Maybe a jury would have found the conduct extreme and outregeous enough to shock the conscience.  Maybe not.  So, please, take you wafer thin mint and stick it up your ass.

#53 2007-11-01 10:23:27

God, here we go again.  Someone pushes HeadKicker's lawyer button, and the mushroom cloud vaporizes all decent conversation within a 500 mile radius...

#54 2007-11-01 10:31:59

Bringing it back on track here:

http://www.killfredphelps.com/

#55 2007-11-01 12:42:04

Roger_That wrote:

God, here we go again.  Someone pushes HeadKicker's lawyer button, and the mushroom cloud vaporizes all decent conversation within a 500 mile radius...

I know, I know.

I sat there for a few seconds before posting that response to HKG debating: should I or shouldn't I? But then I thought what the heck, it's like eating peanuts or picking your nose, you know you should stop but you just can't help yourself. I just rationalized it away that everyone would take comfort in seeing that the pavlovian laws of nature are still in fine working order.

#56 2007-11-01 12:54:12

Johnny Rotten wrote:

I know, I know.

I sat there for a few seconds before posting that response to HKG debating: should I or shouldn't I? But then I thought what the heck, it's like eating peanuts or picking your nose, you know you should stop but you just can't help yourself. I just rationalized it away that everyone would take comfort in seeing that the pavlovian laws of nature are still in fine working order.

And everyone can take comfort in the fact that you are still a pretentious fuck.

By the way, one of us has actually read the complaint and answer in this case, as well as some of the motions, so if anyone was having fun at the expense of someone who hasn't a clue, it certainly wasn't you.

#57 2007-11-01 13:03:07

HEADKICKER STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm all for a good argument, but this shit is just redundant.

At least JR realizes it as well.

I'm CEREAL Y"ALL!

#58 2007-11-01 13:05:31

Have I simply never noticed that HKG and JR dislike one another? I'm a little surprised, but watching two intelligent people I like spar is vastly more entertaining than watching the usual mental incompetents I see on other sites trying to outwit one another.

#59 2007-11-01 13:11:26

Yeah but they aren't being entertaining when it's just legal sparring.  I mean, doesnt' that shit belong on drudge?  The insult hurling is pretty subpar in their current disagreement, if you ask me...

#60 2007-11-01 13:11:46

Taint wrote:

Have I simply never noticed that HKG and JR dislike one another? I'm a little surprised, but watching two intelligent people I like spar is vastly more entertaining than watching the usual mental incompetents I see on other sites trying to outwit one another.

Up until today, I have simply ignored his tedious ramblings, and that would have continued unabated had he not drawn first blood... and I'm certainly not one to back down from a good fight, especially when I have superior knowledge (in this case, the actual documents and not just the news accounts).

#61 2007-11-01 13:25:33

This reminds me of one of those classic images...

#62 2007-11-01 13:55:58

Roger_That wrote:

This reminds me of one of those classic images...

And at least at the special olympics you get a nice shiny metal.  Arguing here you get dick.

#63 2007-11-01 13:57:22

headkicker_girl wrote:

And at least at the special olympics you get a nice shiny metal.  Arguing here you get dick.

Actually, if you got dick, I would think a lot more of Taint's kind would be hanging out here.

#64 2007-11-01 14:15:17

headkicker_girl wrote:

There are many times I could rail on you, but I just let it go, so back the fuck off.

Hot HKG on JR action!  I'm getting hard just thinking about it.

#65 2007-11-01 14:18:01

Roger_That wrote:

headkicker_girl wrote:

Actually, if you got dick, I would think a lot more of Taint's kind would be hanging out here.

Oh, they're here. We've simply formed a new organization, the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered, Questioning, and Allies and Friends Residents of High Street Equal Rights and Knitting Circle Organization, or GLBTQLFRHSERKCO for short.

#66 2007-11-01 14:19:39

Roger_That wrote:

HEADKICKER STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus Smitty, why is it that you just can't bear the existence of a conversation you don't personally like?  If you don't like it then don't read it.  Some of use are enjoying the war.  So butt-out you flaming peace-nik!

#67 2007-11-01 15:01:19

I'm just stressed.

Carry on...

#68 2007-11-01 17:16:10

Johnny Rotten wrote:

All the while during this suburban American dream they spew the logic for saying the hateful things they do...they openly announce that they do it all for the publicity...they do it all for the love...they are keeping it real.

Perhaps...but are you?

While there's no point in apologizing for my post-Halloween, pre-apocalyptic, vodka-tinged rant, I do wonder if you got half of what I was saying or--like most ad hominem assaults--pulled one straw from the bundle and decided to tickle my ass with it. I actually have seen as much of the Beeb vid as I could stomach, across multiple sittings. I don't think we're really saying anything different here.

There is no classification for "pathological publicity whore." And, as HKgirl is clarifying (I think), their legal recourses/escape hatches are moot. Not all religious wingnuts behave in the same fashion, but my opinion of them is solid enough to tolerate a lot of gray area. They are a dodgy bunch, and warped enough to let any cause celebre suit their interests. Abortion, sexuality, immigration, the media... They're really quite impressionable, it seems. Like most addicts and serial killers, they can be steered onto any path that serves their interests. Everything is made to fit.

Claiming a moral high ground is insubstantial when it no longer suits the culture they inhabit. Like egomaniacal toddlers, they have to be told when to stop. They have more in common with the Taliban than virtually all other sectarian Christians, and if they're permitted to dictate the interpretation of Constitutional law, then the rest of society will have to pay the price. They use it as a shield when they want, spit on it when it's of no use.

That they are patently delusional seems to have no bearing on their competence or culpability. If an ACLU lawyer really wanted to get creative, then he or she might try to argue that they're suffering from a shared psychosis, and the law doesn't apply because they do not truly understand right from wrong.

#69 2007-11-01 17:28:04

Fuck all this legal/philosophical/religious/PC discussion.  Let's just turn a squad of veterans loose on old Fred and his shitwads followers.

#70 2007-11-01 17:42:21

pALEPHx wrote:

And, as HKgirl is clarifying (I think), their legal recourses/escape hatches are moot.

Exactly.  The standard of review on appeal is very narrow.  The only issue will be whether there were any errors (e.g., jury instruction), or if the verdict was against the manifest weight of the evidence.  The ACLU is not a party and can only file an amicus brief.  No new evidence will be heard and courts are loathe to overturn jury verdicts. 

Furthermore, the Phelps' filed a motion to dismiss.  It was denied.  They filed a motion for summary judgment.  It was denied.  This isn't a free speech case; it's an intentional tort case, and after all the pretrial wrangling, there was enough merit to the case to get it before a jury (which as anyone who practices law knows is no easy feat since the federal court is known for dismissing on summary judgment).

So while JR and others can discuss the philosophy and history of free speech laws, none of that shit is relevant to this case.  The bottom line is that the Phelps' had their day in court, and their right to free speech was trumped by the Plaintiff's claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress and invasion of privacy.  The jury just didn't buy it.

#71 2007-11-01 18:38:05

Taint wrote:

Oh, they're here. We've simply formed a new organization, the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered, Questioning, and Allies and Friends Residents of High Street Equal Rights and Knitting Circle Organization, or GLBTQLFRHSERKCO for short.

Taint,

Seriously, who do I speak to about getting that changed to Gay, Bisexual, Lesbian and Transgendered(GBLT) so that news people can just say "giblet" when referring to ya'll?

Last edited by scsotdc (2007-11-01 18:38:20)

#72 2007-11-01 20:26:55

headkicker_girl wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that people get tired of your long, boring-ass stories, your name dropping and your know-it-all attitude, you pretentious fuck?  There are many times I could rail on you, but I just let it go, so back the fuck off.

I think she's warming up to you JR.

#73 2007-11-02 02:08:43

opsec wrote:

I think she's warming up to you JR.

Yeppers,  I can feel the glow. At the very least I am emboldened by knowing that I have a regular reader. Like any good codependency you will only know the love is gone when you poke it with a stick and nothing happens.

As I am all for a good ribbing or enlivening dissent pointing out the faults in my reasoning and stimulating further thought, I was hoping for a cruel worthy parry and counter-thrust from HKG. Unfortunately even I can not get it up to carry on after her response. It was like all the joy was drained out of cruel for a momment. I am all for working the cracks in the seam, never letting the sleeping dog lie. One never knows when we might strike paydirt and unearth a NYJew style meltdown. But I must apologize for setting off HKG's nuclear winter, it's just uninspiring and lacks the neccesary entertainment value.

#74 2007-11-02 02:37:50

pALEPHx wrote:

I do wonder if you got half of what I was saying or--like most ad hominem assaults--pulled one straw from the bundle and decided to tickle my ass with it. I actually have seen as much of the Beeb vid as I could stomach, across multiple sittings. I don't think we're really saying anything different here.

Paler,

I did pull the odd straw out for fun, but I will leave it to you to arrange your own ass tickling.

Yes you are very right, they are a dodgy bunch prone to warping. I suppose there is some poetic justice in their current legal troubles. The Phelps Family favors the legal profeesion and I have read  claims from their detractors that in previous decades  Fred and Shirley's prime endeavour to bring home the bacon was suing the pants off people who offended them.

HKG, I recognize that routes of appeal are very narrow. They were for Hustler vs Falwell too, Flynt was denied his initial Fed appeal, and that was also a Invasion of Privacy and an IIED case. As I asked in an earlier post to Feisty, could there be a similarity between these cases that would allow an appeal?

As I noted before, the whole standard for IIED tort law is rather dodgy in itself. I will leave you with this thought on the state of our civil courts:

When outrages are pretexts for taking money from others, occasions for outrage are never lacking.

Last edited by Johnny Rotten (2007-11-02 02:43:25)

#75 2007-11-02 02:38:10

their right to free speech was trumped by the Plaintiff's claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress and invasion of privacy.

I love you

and you too Taint

#76 2007-11-02 02:42:43

Blah Blah Blah

#77 2007-11-02 03:04:51

zipolo habu wrote:

Blah Blah Blah

Obviously you don't drink nearly enough.

#78 2007-11-02 03:12:08

Johnny Rotten wrote:

The Phelps Family favors the legal profeesion and I have read claims from their detractors that in previous decades Fred and Shirley's prime endeavour to bring home the bacon was suing the pants off people who offended them.

When outrages are pretexts for taking money from others, occasions for outrage are never lacking.

I thought that paraphrase originally applied to property law, but I'm no Headkicker. Regardless, if it is as you say--and I believe I've heard the same observations about them--then the Phelpses are merely reaping what they have sown. Undone by their own, as it were...like the serial killer who is murdered in jail. It's probably driving them craz[ier] that they lost by the same devices they've used so many times against others. I really don't think we've had such an intriguing family in America since the Mansons. Lunch is on Mr. Dahmer, today.

zipolo habu wrote:

Blah Blah Blah

Gazing into the Cruel-stal Ball, I somehow see you going the way of Lance Bass' heterosexuality.

Buttsecks and puppets to you.

#79 2007-11-02 03:13:14

Emmeran wrote:

zipolo habu wrote:

Blah Blah Blah

Obviously you don't drink nearly enough.

I'm not sure that drinking would help.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/wilbercuntlicker/zipcommissclr.gif

#80 2007-11-02 03:34:42

Pale, you do realize that was a racist video.  By virtue of their hanging from strings in midair, they are a traumatic reminder of the lynching of negros.

#81 2007-11-02 05:10:29

No .. drinking would not help.

Are you inferring that I may be a homosexual? 

I will once again assert (as I did on Cruel.com) that I am NOT GAY :-)

Though I would be proud to be included with (in?) such esteemed posters as Taint and Fnord.

ps.
Zippy is cool
maybe not me .. but, the cartoon one for sure.

Last edited by zipolo habu (2007-11-02 05:11:13)

#82 2007-11-02 07:12:20

zipolo habu wrote:

No he wasn't.
But he was telling you to suck his cock or fuck off.
For Christ's sake, Zippy, how are you going to last around here if you can't pick up your cues?

#83 2007-11-02 04:06:48

Johnny Rotten wrote:

As I am all for a good ribbing or enlivening dissent pointing out the faults in my reasoning and stimulating further thought, I was hoping for a cruel worthy parry and counter-thrust from HKG. Unfortunately even I can not get it up to carry on after her response. It was like all the joy was drained out of cruel for a momment. I am all for working the cracks in the seam, never letting the sleeping dog lie. One never knows when we might strike paydirt and unearth a NYJew style meltdown. But I must apologize for setting off HKG's nuclear winter, it's just uninspiring and lacks the neccesary entertainment value.

All I will say is that if you'd wanted my opinion you would have left off that last line.  It was condescending and unnecessary.  You were more than polite to Feisty, yet when I made a polite post to her (not even directed to you), you responded with an insult.  You wanted a reaction, and you got it. 

The bottom line is that you are wrong in your analysis. Since you are NOT A LAWYER, I wouldn't expect you to know that, especially since you are guessing at the details and relying on the news accounts. 

This case is VERY different from Falwell and Flynt because (1) they were both public figures, which raises the bar and (2) the subject matter was satire.  Neither argument was made in this case, at least not in the complaint, their amendments and the answers...while it may be in the sealed motion for summary judgment, I doubt it, since you ususally want to get your affirmative defenses up front)  and thus neither argument can be brought up on appeal.  Even if they had, they would have lost on the public figure argument, and claiming their actions were satire goes against their prior statements as relgious figures and likely would have been disregarded by a jury.

If they win on appeal it will only be because the appellate court feels that the verdict was against the manifest weight of the evidence (i.e., that the conduct complained of did not satisfy the elements of intentional infliction of emotional distress and invasion of privacy).

The actual decision is not up yet.  I'll check back in a few days, if anyone really cares.

#84 2007-11-02 08:18:19

Hk - Can I kiss you and make up? 

JR, uh, I'll have to think of something else.

Not choosing sides or anything, but maybe you two can work things out here.

Last edited by Fled (2007-11-02 08:19:45)

#85 2007-11-02 10:43:16

zipolo habu wrote:

I am NOT GAY... Though I would be proud to be included with (in?) such esteemed posters as Taint and Fnord.

Am I the only one who caught that?

#86 2007-11-02 10:45:26

headkicker_girl wrote:

It was condescending and unnecessary.  You were more than polite to Feisty, yet when I made a polite post to her (not even directed to you), you responded with an insult.

Oh, will you two just sleep together and get it over with?

#87 2007-11-02 10:52:23

Zookeeper wrote:

zipolo habu wrote:

I am NOT GAY... Though I would be proud to be included with (in?) such esteemed posters as Taint and Fnord.

You catch?

#88 2007-11-02 11:04:53

Zippy needs a friend... Taint?  Is he your type?

#89 2007-11-02 12:33:24

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

zipolo habu wrote:

No he wasn't. But he was telling you to suck his cock or fuck off. For Christ's sake, Zippy, how are you going to last around here if you can't pick up your cues?

Not that I'm gleaning much from the JR/HK Fambly Fyood, I certainly wouldn't insult either of them with such a flippant interjection, but I will admit to a certain prejudice. People who show up from nowhere, in the middle of an obviously contentious interaction, to say "blah blah blah" (or "yeah, I totally agree" and nothing more), peeve the shit outta me. It's amazing how one little word can directly imply that nothing being said has any merit, or is somehow not entertaining the speaker enough. Please refer to WilburCunt's instructions.

Zookeeper wrote:

No. The rest of us involuntarily chunked our keyboards.

fnord wrote:

Pale, you do realize that was a racist video. By virtue of their hanging from strings in midair, they are a traumatic reminder of the lynching of negros.

Shut it. Or I'll tell everyone you had a threeway with me and Zippy over there, and that you screamed "Mommy!" while we tagged your ass.

http://www.xmere.com/forums/uploads/highstreet/vamonos.jpg

#90 2007-11-02 20:18:06

Roger_That wrote:

Zippy needs a friend... Taint?  Is he your type?

He's doable in a sex party kind of way. I like guys with facial hair.

Board footer

cruelery.com