#1 2009-10-11 06:59:05

I get sick maybe once a year, and have never had a flu shot, for what it's worth . . . I've been in and out of bed (mostly in) since Thursday noon.

I'm not paying $300 for an H1N1 test, so I'm not sure which strain I have - but I will say that this is quite debilitating.

The only silver lining I can see is that I may have some degree of immunity against future outbreaks.

Today I may shower! Woo-hoo!

/cold meds

Last edited by karenw (2009-10-11 06:59:23)

#2 2009-10-11 10:19:48

Been there.  Last July - missed Independence day entirely. 

Hot bath.  Fluids.  Relenza.

#3 2009-10-11 14:59:15

been fighting it for 3 weeks now...dark rum and hot tea...that seems to work the best for me.

#4 2009-10-11 15:16:30

The Magic Weed works best for the whole-body aches.

#5 2009-10-12 16:40:37

insomniac wrote:

been fighting it for 3 weeks now...dark rum and hot tea...that seems to work the best for me.

I generally go with rum and pine-apple juice.

#6 2009-10-12 17:17:57

I got sick three weeks ago while in Chicago on business.  I was there all week and, although I was sick, I had to work.  The plane flights home were miserable.  The planes were jammed and I was hacking and sneezing the whole time.  People looked at me like I was a turd in the punch bowl.  The shit is still hanging on and I continue to cough every so often.  My advice is to pray that you don't get it.

#8 2009-10-17 04:08:38

Holy Shit - this thing is a fucking monster!

Melon's youngest just came down with it, he's a strong lad but omfg this thing wiped him out in 6 hours.  He was down on his knees to catch his breath just walking home from school and his respiratory distress while sleeping now is flat out fucking scary.   

We are taking shifts watching him...a complete shit story.

#9 2009-10-17 05:57:31

The swine flu, from My experience, comes on fast and strong, then lingers in the form of a rattly chest cough for a couple weeks.  Chicken fucking soup, baybeeeeeeeeee.

#10 2009-10-17 06:53:39

Em, my heart goes out to you. My youngest, who attends school 3 hours from home, had it about a month ago (called me while I was in NY on a business trip, but that's another story). The student health center gave him Tamiflu and quarantined him to his room for the weekend, and he bounced back OK. Thankfully, I'd not seen any news reports of deaths at that point, or I would have lost what's left of my mind.

I had it last week, hubby and the other boy had it this week. I hope this means we're now immune. My concern at this point is for my 6 mo-old niece. It is a nasty, nasty bug.

#11 2009-10-17 09:15:10

Em, get the kid some anti-viral - either Tamiflu, or better yet, Relenza (less resistant bugs to the latter).  NOW. 

I work in this biz, and I'm seeing reports that would scare the hell out of most folks.  This thing is nasty, and having had it myself I know how bad it can be.  For kids who have no flu-immunity and pregnant women who have lowered resistance, it's deadly.

Don't mean to scare'ya, but it's worse than malaria.

#12 2009-10-17 09:48:24

whosasailorthen wrote:

Em, get the kid some anti-viral - either Tamiflu, or better yet, Relenza (less resistant bugs to the latter).  NOW. 

I work in this biz, and I'm seeing reports that would scare the hell out of most folks.  This thing is nasty, and having had it myself I know how bad it can be.  For kids who have no flu-immunity and pregnant women who have lowered resistance, it's deadly.

Don't mean to scare'ya, but it's worse than malaria.

Thanks Sailor that will be our top priority this morning if we can get it, he's just 8 and a little to close to that danger bracket for our taste.

#13 2009-10-17 10:40:24

Emmeran wrote:

Thanks Sailor that will be our top priority this morning if we can get it, he's just 8 and a little to close to that danger bracket for our taste.

Good lad.  Just be careful where you get it.  Again, Relenza is not a target of this, so far.

#14 2009-12-23 08:27:46

$300!? I can tell from the date of this post (I am working backward) that you must've done SOMETHING by now. What fucking moron pays that much for a flu shot? Free clinics litter major cities. As of two weeks ago, that variant was openly available, not just to risk groups. I certainly hope you've gotten yours, if you wanted it (I don't), and that you figured out how NOT to pay a ridiculous amount for it.

Board footer

cruelery.com