#1 2018-02-03 11:55:40

Melons is looking for a free SSL for her web sites, any recommendations?

#2 2018-02-03 13:17:03

Where is she hosted?

#3 2018-02-03 14:57:51

SpacePuppy wrote:

Where is she hosted?

She is woman, ergo all over the place.   Honestly, my lovely Melon's has like 17 active email addresses - heck she has 3 different OneDrives, 2 GoogleDrives, a Dropbox and some other shit.  By way of example I found her Mobile Phone in the fridge one day...

I'll ask her.

#4 2018-02-07 22:19:05

Can strongly recommend Let's Encrypt.  Once working, it's automatic and there are no attempts to upsell you like other free cert providers.

#5 2018-05-16 07:05:16

Has anyone tried Pi-Hole yet?

#6 2018-05-16 10:34:11

I don't have enough time left on this planet to devote even a single second to Linux or all its many flavors.

#7 2018-05-16 13:55:19

Baywolfe wrote:

I don't have enough time left on this planet to devote even a single second to Linux or all its many flavors.

For the most part I fully agree with you, I lost interest in the O/S wars back in the late '80s

#8 2018-05-17 09:05:55

Emmeran wrote:

I run it at home. It does a good job and keeps more browsers from discovering that you are running an ad blocker, so showing you those annoying popups.

Only downside is that I take it offline from time to time because I also use the Pi for tinkering on and the fam gets twitchy when the DNS doesn't resolve 24-fuckin-7. It also doesn't seem to recover from ISP upstream DNS changes or router reboots very well, sometimes I have to power cycle it to get DNS back online if the ISP goes dark for any amount of time.

#9 2018-05-21 15:25:51

Emmeran wrote:

SpacePuppy wrote:

Where is she hosted?

She is woman, ergo all over the place.   Honestly, my lovely Melon's has like 17 active email addresses - heck she has 3 different OneDrives, 2 GoogleDrives, a Dropbox and some other shit.  By way of example I found her Mobile Phone in the fridge one day...
I'll ask her.

I have 4 email addresses, 2 personal Google accounts (and 2 I administer for volunteer groups I am involved with) 1 OneDrive (to my chagrin, since I lost everything I tried to migrate from my now-deleted 2nd OneDrive), and a Dropbox ONLY under duress, because that is how my printer ( Giclee of New England) delivers my hi-res files. For the record.

Yes, I have on occasion refrigerated my phone, but I'm pretty sure that's because it was overheating due to YouTube binging...

Last edited by melons (2018-05-21 16:58:43)

#10 2018-05-21 15:26:53

I have domain registration and C Panel hosting via GoDaddy

#11 2018-05-21 17:56:18

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

I run it at home. It does a good job and keeps more browsers from discovering that you are running an ad blocker, so showing you those annoying popups.

Only downside is that I take it offline from time to time because I also use the Pi for tinkering on and the fam gets twitchy when the DNS doesn't resolve 24-fuckin-7. It also doesn't seem to recover from ISP upstream DNS changes or router reboots very well, sometimes I have to power cycle it to get DNS back online if the ISP goes dark for any amount of time.

Holy shit it's fast though.

#12 2018-05-21 22:33:34

Emmeran wrote:

It's even faster without Ad Block slowing down your browser. Plus mobile blocking.

#13 2018-05-23 06:20:13

Emmeran wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

I was out on vaca when I read the  PI-Hole story.  I downloaded Ubuntu Server and launched it in a VirtualBox environment.  Pi-Hole's download and install is pretty much one command line.

I do have a couple of problems.  First the web interface is kind of lack luster, which shouldn't be a problem, except that I was constantly going in to get the DNS to start working.  Something that other people were having problems with over on their forums. 

Anyway, this thread just reminded me that I need to get off my lazy butt and get it installed on a machine permanently.  I'll do that tomorrow, I guess.

#14 2018-05-23 06:38:23

Platymingo wrote:

I was out on vaca when I read the  PI-Hole story.  I downloaded Ubuntu Server and launched it in a VirtualBox environment.  Pi-Hole's download and install is pretty much one command line.

I do have a couple of problems.  First the web interface is kind of lack luster, which shouldn't be a problem, except that I was constantly going in to get the DNS to start working.  Something that other people were having problems with over on their forums. 

Anyway, this thread just reminded me that I need to get off my lazy butt and get it installed on a machine permanently.  I'll do that tomorrow, I guess.

It was a great first networking project for my youngest son.  We had a 1st Gen Raspberry-Pi gathering dust so we used that.  The only caution is that it's overly simplified and as basic of a task as changing the IP pretty much requires a reinstall.  I'd also like to see it on the 3rd gen hardware as the DNS resolution is a touch slow.

Board footer

cruelery.com