#1 2018-07-05 15:55:47

In the name of the fight against terrorism, the United States is currently waging “credit-card wars” in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and elsewhere. Never before has this country relied so heavily on deficit spending to pay for its conflicts.

...the staggering costs of the longest war in American history — almost 17 years running, since the invasion of Afghanistan in October 2001 — are being deferred to the future. In the process, the government is contributing to this country’s skyrocketing income inequality.

Since 9/11, the United States has spent $5.6 trillion on its war on terror, according to the Costs of War Project...

#2 2018-07-05 20:28:23

Thankfully, Trump was talked out of invading Venezuela in 2017

Trump's aides, including then-national security adviser HR McMaster, vigorously urged him against the notion of a military invasion of Venezuela, warning him it could backfire and explaining that US allies in the region were firmly opposed to such drastic action. Taking military action against Venezuela would be a dramatic escalation of the US's so-far solely diplomatic and sanctions-focused response to the political and economic crisis roiling the South American country.

The biggest scam being enacted on the American people right now is the notion that if you are against war, you are against our service men and women.  This is the 1950s all over again, and not the good parts.

#3 2018-07-05 21:46:46

Trump and the military don't belong in the same discussion.  Heavens forbid we actually waste money creating his Space Farce, truth be told that is truly the domain of the Navy - which oddly enough we just added our first Submariner to the NASA team; talk about idiotic oversights.

#4 2018-07-06 05:31:36

Baywolfe wrote:

The biggest scam being enacted on the American people right now is the notion that if you are against war, you are against our service men and women.  This is the 1950s all over again, and not the good parts.

eggsactlee. Our propaganda machine is one of the biggest and best in the business. So good in fact, that most Americans don't even believe we have one. We have made America and God synonymous.

#5 2018-07-06 10:39:09

I thought it interesting the difference in HOW the debt for the war was marketed, contrasting the oligarchial pocket stuffing that paid for the Civil war with the other wars financed through savings bonds and war bonds marketed to the proles.

I guess the short lesson is that if you see Uncle Sam start to shill savings bonds again, bend over and kiss your ass goodbye, it's going to be a slugfest.

#6 2018-07-06 13:53:41

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I guess the short lesson is that if you see Uncle Sam start to shill savings bonds again, bend over and kiss your ass goodbye, it's going to be a slugfest.

Wait a minute, I agree with the first part but I think you've gone off the rails a bit here with savings bonds.  If I remember correctly, savings bonds reached maturity in seven years.  So, a 50% guaranteed return on investment in seven years.  That sure beats even what a CD offers these days.

Board footer

cruelery.com