#1 2020-04-19 17:12:32

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/msliberty.png

A rude shock greeted me the day after my family steamed past Ms Liberty into NY harbor in April 1961. No fresh fucking fruit anywhere I looked. I was 6 and disgusted by canned and candied frozen substitutes, spoiled rotten by the tropics.

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/mangomagician.png

I've got a few bananas and one mango left, then maybe 6 wks of peas, beans, rice and pasta. Maybe I make it to June.

Any of you plotting your food futures?

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#2 2020-04-19 17:49:02

My larder is full, tinned meat is your friend.

#3 2020-04-19 18:13:36

What, no MRE's?

I've sampled a few recent examples, incidentally, and their vegetarian chilli was a surprising standout; lifted straight from Frances Lappé's 1971's 'Diet for a Small Planet'.

Worse comes to worse, I've got some canned tuna. And I can bike 20 miles over back roads to New Bedford's docks and home again, but I won't find much...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business … ronavirus/

#4 2020-04-19 18:50:05

We're still getting Avocados, we'll be alright.

#5 2020-04-20 01:14:02

Planting a Garden.  Countryside is not far, lots of edibles out there, just got to know what you can and cannot eat.  Push comes to shove, Venison is on the menu.

#6 2020-04-20 05:51:05

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/307_b8daa0e9-e82c-4a7a-a9dd-80b2128c4ed3.jpeg

#7 2020-04-20 09:30:24

Is that you and the Mrs?

#8 2020-04-20 16:26:30

The Mrs and I took inventory and we have 45 meals of frozen flesh and enough beans and rice to swim around in. I'll die of diet boredom before I die of starvation. But I'm feeling pretty damn smug about renovating those 4 giant TV cabinets I grabbed off the curb back around XMas into extra pantry space .

#9 2020-04-20 17:13:51

Meat is pretty scarce at Sams/Walmart here but we can still get it from Albertsons/Safeway/Tom Thumb.  Just had fajitas last Friday.

#10 2020-04-20 17:51:23

GooberMcNutly wrote:

The Mrs and I took inventory and we have 45 meals of frozen flesh and enough beans and rice to swim around in. I'll die of diet boredom before I die of starvation. But I'm feeling pretty damn smug about renovating those 4 giant TV cabinets I grabbed off the curb back around XMas into extra pantry space .

Trash picking is underrated leisure and the only way I know to make most New England cities habitable. The East Side of Providence, RI, the city's wealthiest district, has an old tradition of mostly polite Sunday evening scavanging, ahead of Mon morning pickup. My own best score was an old chestnut dining table.

#11 2020-04-20 17:55:20

Down in red state South piedmont cities, nothing is missing except when they choose not to restock some dry goods provisions with so many of the same items. People just aren't buying enough to carry all the different brands.

I do wonder if things will look different in a month. I spend a bit of each day rambling across the wrong side of the tracks. Which makes up 98% of the South. Outside the well off enclaves, the poor I see and those I talk to seem to have little to fall back on. But then again some people are used to getting along with very little, but they do need a little something yet.

#12 2020-04-20 18:13:22

choad wrote:

Trash picking is underrated leisure and the only way I know to make most New England cities habitable. The East Side of Providence, RI, the city's wealthiest district, has an old tradition of mostly polite Sunday evening scavanging, ahead of Mon morning pickup. My own best score was an old chestnut dining table.

We used to have this in the coastal  towns too. My neighbor made a decent side business out of regilding the gilded frames that came out to the curbs of the gilded mansions. Tap, tap, tap went her hammer into the night and when she told me how much the gallery dealers sold the frames for, I could only applaud not complain.

Monday nights were a social affair with the neighbors walking the blocks seeing what one man could gather, another man spilled. Then the town sold our soul to Waste Management, and ended all that. Now WM charges you to pick up anything outside a can and send to the dump.  Town had to issue a bond to buy 10000 x 3 each house x $102 for new approved cans required for robotic pickup, even though the town streets are too narrow for the trucks with arms so WM does not use those trucks.

For some reason my property was delivered 18 cans. I gave them to a neighbor who repurposed them for feed and seed storage.

#13 2020-04-20 19:40:47

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I'll die of diet boredom before I die of starvation.

Same here.  I am not worried about the supply chain; I am worried about hospital beds.  Nobody in America starved or froze during the 1918 Spanish Flu, but one fuck of a lot of people died.

#14 2020-04-22 16:20:29

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Outside the well off enclaves, the poor I see and those I talk to seem to have little to fall back on. But then again some people are used to getting along with very little, but they do need a little something yet.

During the great TP rush, when every big box in the state was void of bung polisher, I just went two towns over to our nearest Meth-ican enclave and their Ghetto-mart had plenty because their average shopper doesn't have an extra $20 per paycheck to buy extra rolls.

And I come from a long line of curb miners. My Dad brags that he hasn't had to buy a fridge or washing machine for 45 years. I just grabbed two rain barrels yesterday on my way home from my hookup. If I can't use it or fix it, I figure I can throw it out as easily as the other guy. My secret is finding just the right neighborhoods to cruise: Rich enough to buy good stuff, poor enough not to want to pay someone to fix it. Unfortunately, even the rich buy cheap paste shit these days and not much is still fixable, but most of the stuff I take isn't "broken" so much as "stopped" and some compressed air and a little bearing oil usually gets things running again.

#15 2020-04-22 16:51:33

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Unfortunately, even the rich buy cheap paste shit these days and not much is still fixable, but most of the stuff I take isn't "broken" so much as "stopped" and some compressed air and a little bearing oil usually gets things running again.

My proudest moment was stopping for the same lawn furniture I discarded years before.

#16 2020-04-23 00:02:50

choad wrote:

My proudest moment was stopping for the same lawn furniture I discarded years before.

What goes around comes around.

Board footer

cruelery.com