• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » Will The Radioactive Shit Hit The Fan In Nebraska?

#2 2011-06-19 06:09:26

observes: An abundance of media outlets does not translate into an abundance of reporting. In many communities, there are now more outlets, but less local accountability reporting. While digital technology has empowered people in many ways, the concurrent decline in local reporting has, in other cases, shifted power away from citizens to government and other powerful private l institutions, which can more often set the news agenda

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2011-06-19 06:13:04)

#3 2011-06-20 18:37:47

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

observes: An abundance of media outlets does not translate into an abundance of reporting. In many communities, there are now more outlets, but less local accountability reporting. While digital technology has empowered people in many ways, the concurrent decline in local reporting has, in other cases, shifted power away from citizens to government and other powerful private l institutions, which can more often set the news agenda

I am stunned at the lack of reporting on the flooding up and down the Mississippi.  My friends live over there and Yazoo City is still under water.  The town is pretty much ruined as are many others.  But there is NOTHING in the news about the devastation.  You can hear reports literally 5-6 times a day about the stupid bitch that's on trial for killing her daughter.  I've never had a real problem with lazy reporters but this is just strange.

#4 2011-06-20 20:06:03

Stinkhammer wrote:

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

observes: An abundance of media outlets does not translate into an abundance of reporting.

I've never had a real problem with lazy reporters but this is just strange.

Lazy doesn't explain it. Newsroom cuts have more than halved editorial staff in the last decade but those numbers are deceptive. Hardest hit are rural markets that were never well served after chains began to swallow them whole 30-odd years ago. Those that haven't turned tits up are glorified ad sheets.

Bottom line, those remaining are either the worst of the worst, use-them-and-lose-them bic reporters just out of school and maybe a handful of showcase stars retained for credulous subscribers.

And why not? We've gutted all our other industries.

Newspaper Obits

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by choad (2011-06-20 20:07:23)

#5 2011-06-21 01:21:15

Interesting in the use of the word "prudence".

Seems these folks take the world a bit more serious than the city folk do.

• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » Will The Radioactive Shit Hit The Fan In Nebraska?

Board footer

cruelery.com