#2 2017-12-24 17:31:06

I am not gonna lie, I would like to give it a go. The $100k is a bit hard to justify and I don't like to be around so many inexperienced climbers in a frenzy. Don't get me wrong, I don't give a fuck what happens to them but I don't want to spend $100k and miss my window because of somebody else's stupid shit.

It took me three times for Manaslu and after I made it I was pretty sure I would be content but I am getting a bug up my ass lately. I am going to Aconcagua in 2 weeks. May be a bit late but I have a buddy already there and we are going to try the Polish Glacier unsupported.

May go for Cho Oyu next year but I probably would regret not ever going to Everest when I become too old to climb.

I may also regret the loss of $100k though.

#3 2017-12-24 20:28:08

Everest now only proves you have the money and can follow instructions.

Be a man and go find your own mountain to climb.

#4 2017-12-25 05:57:37

BC - I met someone (a former Mountain Madness guide) who climbed Cho Oyu and said it was a great experience.  I've also read a fair amount about Aconcagua and the various routes.  I'll be interested to hear about the condition of the ice on your route.  I hope the weather permits a safe climb.  Good luck!

#5 2017-12-25 08:55:56

Fled wrote:

BC - I met someone (a former Mountain Madness guide) who climbed Cho Oyu and said it was a great experience.  I've also read a fair amount about Aconcagua and the various routes.  I'll be interested to hear about the condition of the ice on your route.  I hope the weather permits a safe climb.  Good luck!

I have climbed Aconcagua twice with guides. The last one was with the guide that took me to Manaslu. It's fairly non technical. My buddy wants to do it unsupported so we are waiting until that late in the season so there will be less chance of us "tagging along" with a supported group if we have trouble with the route. Sounded interesting. I will let you know how it was when I get back.

Did that guy mention the price for Cho Oyu? The guide I use is taking next year off because his wife has had 2 babies and he missed their birth both times. She is becoming less understanding. Go figure...

#6 2017-12-25 12:26:43

It was maybe 12 years ago, and I do not recall her total cost.  There was a permit cost in the thousand dollar range, although I think the fees and rules have changed since then.

Board footer

cruelery.com