#1 2022-05-29 17:10:14

Man oh man

How Stoicism Became Broicism

When Zeno of Citium (c. 335–263 B.C.E), the father of Stoicism, decided Providence was trying to tell him his time had come, he obligingly committed suicide — by holding his breath. Who said philosophers, famous for being long-winded, have no sense of humor?

If the gods had shown him a vision of things to come — his philosophy repurposed as “an operating system for thriving in high-stress environments” by life-hacker gurus like Tim Ferriss (The Tao of Seneca: Practical Letters from a Stoic Master) and marketers of motivational breviaries like Ryan Holiday (The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living) — he would’ve self-asphyxiated long before his preachments could get any traction with the young men of Athens.

Alas, the gods forbore, and Broicism is ascendant in Silicon Valley and wherever devotees of “peak performance” and the dude-ly gospel of success through self-mastery gather.

#2 2022-05-30 15:09:03

Tech Bros have always been obsessed with antiquity.  When I came on the scene in the early 80s, every in-house coded program and all servers were named after Greek or Egyptian or Norse gods.  I am proud to say that, while working a contract for EDS, I was able write an updated version of a program named Helios (the god on the flying chariot that takes the sun across the sky every day) so I named it Eclipse.  Because nerd-boy humor is greater than frat-boy humor.

#3 2022-05-31 06:34:08

All of our servers were named after hot women, therefore it was typical to "Mount Marilyn" every morning.

#4 2022-05-31 10:07:45

And so the daily grind goes on and on.

Board footer

cruelery.com