#1 2020-08-06 16:33:49

From long ago today.

Seventy five years ago today, the United States detonated an atomic bomb over Hiroshima, Japan, killing an estimated 140,000 people. A year later, John Hersey, a pioneer of "new journalism," visited the city to report an incredible feature for the New Yorker about the experiences of six people who survived the blast. The US had attempted to cover up the true devastation but Hersey expressed it so the world could know. (It was such a groundbreaking undertaking and achievement that there's a new book, Fallout by Lesley M. M. Blume, to tell the story behind Hersey's story.) From Hersey's "Hiroshima" (1946), available in full at The New Yorker.

And there are those who wish to do it again by proxy. Both them,

and unfortunately us.

Flynn-backed plan to transfer nuclear tech to Saudis may have broken laws, say whistleblowers.

Sadly in the past year while we were spending quality time yelling at twirling tweets, this has become fait accompli for this administration. Not really what you hear about when they talk up all the great things our government has done lately.

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2020-08-06 18:56:41)

#2 2020-08-06 17:48:40

My all time favorite story was the one about the dude who got injured in Hiroshima and fled to Nagasaki to recover - I think I posted it on here about a decade ago.

#3 2020-08-06 18:33:42

Emmeran wrote:

My all time favorite story was the one about the dude who got injured in Hiroshima and fled to Nagasaki to recover - I think I posted it on here about a decade ago.

I've seen it here and elsewhere.  He survived Nagasaki also.

#4 2020-08-07 01:37:57

Those bombs triggered one of the great innovative competitions of the 20th Century...as well as making my favorite isle at Uwajimaya Market so interesting.

#5 2020-08-08 08:13:03

JetRx wrote:

Those bombs triggered one of the great innovative competitions of the 20th Century...

Well that was both educational and fascinating. Thanks Jetset.

And just goes to show,  if you want to get the kitchen cooking, you have to be willing to break some eggs.

Board footer

cruelery.com