#1 2020-10-31 02:58:42

...soon to be made redundant by AI. Keep whining bitchz.

Last edited by JetRx (2020-10-31 02:59:32)

#2 2020-10-31 08:22:12

Looks like a list of the top struggles of rookie professionals to me...

#3 2020-10-31 23:51:54

Emmeran wrote:

Looks like a list of the top struggles of rookie professionals to me...

Yeah, I'm wrapping up a project with Eastman and they had never worked from home in their entire history.  They asked me how working from home was affecting me and I said, "Uh, I've worked from home for over 10 years."

#4 2020-11-05 15:21:24

I'm with a good team now, and we were remote before remote was cool, but it wasn't always this way. I've been lucky that I've only had 3 years in the last 23 that I've had to attend a regular office, and that was only 3 days a week for 2 years. Some managers get itchy when they can't lurk outside your doors to try to catch you "goofing off" and "using office supplies inappropriately" and "being naked". I can't stand managers like that. I guess now they just ping people on Slack all day and see how fast they respond.

And people are stone cold lying about "distractions at home" being only 10%. I spend half of my day on Zoom waiting for kid lunches, door dash deliveries, dogs to stop barking and always the social media ping from all of the devices, all the time.

Some people can just put focus on a task, do it, then do something else. Some people need to be isolated where the only possible course of action is to do the task, so you might as well get on with it. Left alone, the distractions torpedo any attempt at productivity. If you think this is bad in the office, wait until the standardized test scores come out next year.

#5 2020-11-05 17:26:50

GooberMcNutly wrote:

If you think this is bad in the office, wait until the standardized test scores come out next year.

Texas, to their great shame, spends most of the school year teaching kids how to pass whatever the current standardized test is.  Some individual teachers take it upon themselves to teach the kids how current events relate to life, but they are few and far between.

Board footer

cruelery.com