#2 2009-12-28 00:06:08

You know, the thing I found most shocking about the incident is that there are non-stop flights between Amsterdam and fucking Detroit...

I wonder if there are also non-stops between:
Brussels and Cleveland?
Helsinki and Pittsburgh?
Stockholm and Milwaukee?
Vienna and Buffalo?

Last edited by AladdinSane (2009-12-28 00:07:55)

#3 2009-12-28 01:17:41

Aladdin:

Years ago, I had a similar skepticism when they started Delta flights between Atlanta and London.

I could see people wanting to go from Atlanta to London, all right, but not the other way.  I had visions of Delta's entire fleet eventually ending up sitting at Heathrow, waiting for return bookings that would never come.

#4 2009-12-28 03:20:36

There was a Pittsburgh-Frankfurt route in the recent past.  It was dropped as part of the ongoing USAir death spiral.
http://www.crawfordconsultingservices.com.nyud.net/images/add-photos/bayer.gif

#5 2009-12-28 09:20:30

What's shocking about this incident was the guy:

1.  Didn't have a passport
2.  Paid cash for his plane ticket
3.  Was denied a (second) student visa to England
4.  Was on a terrorist watch list
5.  Had a fucking bomb strapped to his leg

Words cannot describe how baffled I am that this inept fuck managed to get on the fucking plane in the first place.

#6 2009-12-28 10:16:10

Who is in charge?

http://www.dba-oracle.com/images/barney_fife.jpg

Oh, and there will be some immediate changes to regulations:

Immediate changes restricted passengers' access to overhead bins and carry-on items during the last hour of inbound, international flight. No electronics or lap items were to be allowed, including reading material. As Twitter user @antderosa suggested, "New TSA regulation requires passengers must hold breath for the final hour of flight while humming 'kumbaya'"

#8 2009-12-28 10:24:09

Emmeran wrote:

Words cannot describe how baffled I am that this inept fuck managed to get on the fucking plane in the first place.

The system works

#9 2009-12-28 10:29:27

Emmeran wrote:

And I had to throw away my fucking cologne to go to Vegas.

#10 2009-12-28 10:39:36

jesusluvspegging wrote:

The system works

Where were all these brave critics 8+ years ago, when speaking out might have (unlikely, I admit; but still, might have) made a difference?

Homeland Security/TSA/the rest of this clusterfuck is now entrenched.  It should never have been implemented, but as of now it's just like the "War on Drugs"--a government gravy train that employs thousands in phoney-baloney jobs.

And just like the anti-drug infrastructure, it's going to be with us for a long, long time.  Hope it makes you feel safe.

#11 2009-12-28 10:41:10

George Orr wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

The system works

Where were all these brave critics 8+ years ago, when speaking out might have (unlikely, I admit; but still, might have) made a difference?

They weren't getting published because everyone was busy shitting themselves in terror.

#12 2009-12-28 10:47:39

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Immediate changes restricted passengers' access to overhead bins and carry-on items during the last hour of inbound, international flight. No electronics or lap items were to be allowed, including reading material.

WTF is this "last hour" business?  That sure as hell wouldn't have helped the Lockerbie folks, does it suddenly suck less to be blown up half-way through your flight than it does when you are almost there?

Last edited by Emmeran (2009-12-28 10:48:03)

#13 2009-12-28 11:47:24

Emmeran wrote:

Apparently he had an accomplice who sweet talked numb nutted security in Amsterdam.

Eventually we will have to drop the political correctness and start profiling passengers.  "I'm so sorry sir, but you are a young Muslim man with a terminal case of the sweats.  I'll need you to come with me please."

#14 2009-12-28 11:58:20

Two things here:

One, Napolitano is out of a job, for damn sure.   

Two, I think this is the incident that is going to shake everyone out of P.C. mode and begin bearing down on the class of individuals who are causing all the trouble.  Phreddy has it right.

#15 2009-12-28 18:16:41

Profiling works!  And I will be glad to see the end of pandering to foolish PC opposition to it!

#16 2009-12-28 18:46:33

kim

When I did fraud investigation all I did was profile and 99% of the time I was right for doing so. Sad, (is it?) but true.

Oh hai, guys!

#17 2009-12-28 18:46:37

Emmeran wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Immediate changes restricted passengers' access to overhead bins and carry-on items during the last hour of inbound, international flight. No electronics or lap items were to be allowed, including reading material.

WTF is this "last hour" business?  That sure as hell wouldn't have helped the Lockerbie folks, does it suddenly suck less to be blown up half-way through your flight than it does when you are almost there?

Depends on the meal and movie, really.

#18 2009-12-28 19:15:28

It was all obvious bullshit from day one. No one spoke up years ago because if you did, you would be detained, possibly indefinitely (Chimpie and Darth Cheney would get to decide that), and put on the no-fly-for-fucking-ever-list list. I did fly back to the states afew monthes later with my son. We were greeted at SFO by a cop in uniform bellowing at the line of tourists to "Take off your damn shoes NOW and stand in THIS line OVER HERE! NO!! OVER HERE DAMMIT!!!". Wearing slipper socks and/or sandals doesn't help. One must still take them off. So, people just have to fly in fear, sort of an exercise in the political use of terror......
After I went to the trouble of getting a suitcase with a special TSA lock that could be unlocked with a special TSA key、the fuckers cut it off first time through.

So, quit whining and learn to be HAPPY sheep in the plane.

#19 2009-12-28 19:29:30

AladdinSane wrote:

You know, the thing I found most shocking about the incident is that there are non-stop flights between Amsterdam and fucking Detroit...

https://cruelery.com/uploads/18_08.jpg

The Ruins of Detroit

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#20 2009-12-28 20:34:59

2 more thoughts:

1. The bomber must have had second thoughts about trying to blow the plane/himself up because he didn't set off the fuse until a few minutes before the plane was due to land.  The shoe-bomber of years ago at least tried his bomb while the plane was over the Atlantic Ocean.

2. Napolitano should be canned just for saying, "The system worked."  Really?  Depending on passengers to tackle a suicide bomber instead of not letting him get on the damn plane in the first place is your idea of homeland security, lady?

#21 2009-12-28 23:49:07

George Orr wrote:

Ignored then, just as they will be now.

#22 2009-12-29 01:33:50

I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something that you can only foil by upgrading the passengers to first class and giving them free drinks.

Hear, hear.

Also:

1. Aren't the Dutch responsible for incompetent security at Amsterdam, not our own incompetents?

2. Alas, I  kinda agree with phwed.

#23 2009-12-29 04:24:26

I know from experience that security at Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport is incompetent.  I was pulled out of line to get on a Continental flight back to America along with Partner™ and accused of being a Dutch national that Partner™ had picked up in Amsterdam and was trying to smuggle into America.  Partner™ and I were interrogated in front of an audience and Partner™ was lectured by the low level airline rent-a-cop about his choice in relationships!  Rent-a-cop was an American kneegrow who was too stupid to realize my English isn’t textbook perfect like that of a European who speaks it as a second language; he was also too stupid to pick up traces of a regional accent that a foreigner would have difficulty faking.  Rent-a-cop was convinced my passport, CA driver’s license and other ID were all fakes!  Rent-a cop took my IDs to his supervisor, who looked at them, glanced in my direction, and told Rent-a-cop there was not a problem and we could get back in line.

Last edited by fnord (2009-12-29 04:25:33)

#25 2009-12-29 11:14:22

AladdinSane wrote:

1. The bomber must have had second thoughts about trying to blow the plane/himself up because he didn't set off the fuse until a few minutes before the plane was due to land.  The shoe-bomber of years ago at least tried his bomb while the plane was over the Atlantic Ocean.

Actually, if you can knock over a few buildings on your way into the ground, all the better. (Though finding something of worth to hit in Detroit is a crap shoot.) Maybe you will hit the jackpot and crash into a school bus full of inner city youths.

#26 2009-12-29 11:18:36

Bigcat wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Depends on the meal and movie, really.

Actaully, I think that they article also mentions that the entire in-flight entertainment system will also be shut off as it shows the current location of the flight in real time mapping. They can't seem to shut just that off, so everyone has to sit with their hands folded in their lap without blankets, coats (though they can be worn, just not layed in laps), books, magazines, movie players or in flight entertainment for the last hour of inbound international flights.

Can you even imagine how whiny your average electronics addicted kid is going to be?

Soon we will have hand rails above the fold out tray that must be gripped with both hands for the duration of the flight. Failure to maintain grip will involve restraint.

I think that the overall security plan by the TSA is to make flying so damn uncomfortable that even the terrorists would rather take the bus. What else could it be?

(Ed: Who knew it wasn't spelled "durration"?)

Last edited by GooberMcNutly (2009-12-29 11:19:26)

#27 2009-12-29 13:11:03

I'm not at all surprised at the fact that a flight goes from Detroit to Amsterdam.  If you've ever been Michigan, you know that there are *tons* of Dutch immigrants who live in MI - indeed, Grand Rapids is like Little-Holland. 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/Dutch2000.png

Coincidentally, there's tons of Arab folks too.

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2009-12-29 13:27:55)

#28 2009-12-29 21:58:45

fnord wrote:

I know from experience that security at Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport is incompetent.  I was pulled out of line to get on a Continental flight back to America along with Partner™ and accused of being a Dutch national that Partner™ had picked up in Amsterdam and was trying to smuggle into America.  Partner™ and I were interrogated in front of an audience and Partner™ was lectured by the low level airline rent-a-cop about his choice in relationships!  Rent-a-cop was an American kneegrow who was too stupid to realize my English isn’t textbook perfect like that of a European who speaks it as a second language; he was also too stupid to pick up traces of a regional accent that a foreigner would have difficulty faking.  Rent-a-cop was convinced my passport, CA driver’s license and other ID were all fakes!  Rent-a cop took my IDs to his supervisor, who looked at them, glanced in my direction, and told Rent-a-cop there was not a problem and we could get back in line.

An American Rent-A-Cop in Amstedam?  Shirley, surely you jest.

#29 2009-12-29 22:47:40

Dmtdust wrote:

fnord wrote:

An American Rent-A-Cop in Amstedam?  Shirley, surely you jest.

Rent-A-Cop didn't attempt to speak to me in Dutch and study my face to see if I understood what he was saying.  He had an obvious Ebonic accent, something a Dutch speaking kneegrow born in the Netherlands wouldn't have.  The fact that I have Dutch ancestry, and was mistaken for Dutch several times while I was in Amsterdam is no excuse for the outrageous manner in which Partner™ and I were treated.  My surname isn't of Dutch origin, but it wouldn't have mattered if both of my parents had originally been Dutch; I am an American citizen with an American passport.  I had already been screened and my documents had passed scrutiny by people at several checkpoints; it would have been up to INS at LAX to deny me entry after the Dutch authorities had already cleared me to board the plane.

#30 2009-12-30 00:16:37

I just find it hard to get my head around that the Dutch would hirer a foreign national for this type of work.  Weird.

#31 2009-12-31 07:43:34

The drawers in question.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/30_flight_253_drawers.jpg

#33 2009-12-31 15:08:04

George Orr wrote:

AladdinSane wrote:

https://cruelery.com/uploads/18_08.jpg

The Ruins of Detroit

Okay, that was just fucking sad.  Makes me want to carpet bomb the place and give it back to the injuns.

#34 2009-12-31 15:11:54

Damn you, phreddy.  DAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOOUU!

I find myself in the position of agreeing with Ann Coulter absolutely, totally and unequivocally.

For that I shall never forgive you.

#35 2009-12-31 15:59:50

Montecore wrote:

I find myself in the position of agreeing with Ann Coulter absolutely, totally and unequivocally.

Oh, the woes of the open mind.

#36 2009-12-31 16:19:11

I still wanna punch her in the Adam's apple.

#37 2009-12-31 16:24:19

Montecore wrote:

Not so fast Monte

Arnie Coulter wrote:

His name was Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab.

He's Nigerian.

He's a Muslim.

Allow me to present the story of one Mr. Richard Reid

Coulter is still a pandering, racist cunt who wouldn't know a good profiling program if she sat on it.

#38 2009-12-31 16:38:15

Em wrote:

Yeah, so what's your point?  Ann didn't suggest that we forget about security for everyone else.  She, like me, wants special treatment for young Muslim men.

Richard Colvin Reid (born 12 August 1973),[1] also known as Abdul Raheem and as Tariq Raja

#39 2009-12-31 16:58:41

phreddy wrote:

Em wrote:

Yeah, so what's your point?  Ann didn't suggest that we forget about security for everyone else.  She, like me, wants special treatment for young Muslim men.

Richard Colvin Reid (born 12 August 1973),[1] also known as Abdul Raheem and as Tariq Raja

It doesn't require special treatment of one narrow profile, it necessitates that the current procedures are dutifully followed and that we hire career minded professionals as TSA Agents rather than under-payed and uneducated chumps.  And it requires that we control the situation at the point of embark.

What Coulter isn't smart enough to realize is that the game continues to change: it's no longer only young people, it's not just men, you can't necessarily tell if they are muslim and they probably aren't Arab.

In this case it was a timid black man.  Next one will be a female from the P.I., after that a middle aged white guy from Bosnia.  The narrow and shallow approach advocated by Coulter is a recipe for disaster.

#40 2009-12-31 17:15:42

Be At Ease Jarhead.
Take a breath.
The fuck ups may not be as narrow as they seem to you.

#41 2009-12-31 17:17:29

As long as all the white American males with far-right politics and secessionist leanings get the cavity searches too, I don't give a fuck.

#42 2009-12-31 17:44:55

Neither Coulter nor I said that profiling was the whole answer, but I think we're seeing where not profiling in the name of misguided political correctness is getting us.  Treating the class of individuals whose members have most often demonstrated their willingness to blow innocent people out of the sky with a bit of extra suspicion seems only prudent.  That should be, of course, in addition to other intelligent and prudent measures, which do not include subjecting grandmothers from Davenport, Iowa to pat-downs or making people in wheelchairs remove their shoes (which I've personally witnessed). 

I think the tide is turning.  Already, Denmark is paying some of its immigrants to repatriate themselves; they're seeing that this noble goal of "one world" isn't working, at least for the moment.  I'd like to see a planet with totally open borders and absolute respect for all, but as long as we have fanatics who will stop at nothing to gain their ends, we can't have one.  Sorry 'bout that, but it's the damn truth.

#43 2009-12-31 19:37:56

Profiling of course is not "the answer", it is however the cold hard reality of life.  I understand the the loony lefties have determined that profiling is racist - and frankly I could give a shit; every animal, fish and fowl profiles for survival, it's the very basis of the survival instinct.

Profiling by race, age or religion in the security world however is a weakness.  We should profile based on actions, attitude and demeanor - throw in actual historical data to weight the profiling and randomness because it may be the most accurate of all and we have a winning program.

For the rest of it Sarge - I was just taking the piss out of Phreddy for a bit of fun; I really wasn't wound up at all.  But it is important that we do understand that profiling a particular set of individuals - namely young, male Muslims - gives our enemies the perfect set up to hurt us again.

#44 2009-12-31 19:45:14

I believe in profiling Emmeran.  I prefer to be effective rather than political.

#45 2009-12-31 20:00:17

Emmeran wrote:

Profiling of course is not "the answer", it is however the cold hard reality of life.  I understand the the loony lefties have determined that profiling is racist - and frankly I could give a shit; every animal, fish and fowl profiles for survival, it's the very basis of the survival instinct.

So, you're saying that white Army veterans (just like Little Timmy Mcveigh) should be subjected to harsh, demeaning inspection and interrogation wherever they travel? WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA SO MUCH????

#46 2009-12-31 21:44:27

Tall Paul wrote:

white Army veterans

Tall Paul from Japan...  you leave out the other Services.

#47 2009-12-31 22:16:32

MSG Tripps wrote:

I believe in profiling Emmeran.

I've never heard it called "profiling" before.

#48 2009-12-31 22:30:16

sigmoid freud wrote:

I've never heard it called "profiling" before.

OK?

#49 2009-12-31 22:37:01

jesusluvspegging wrote:

As long as all the white American males with far-right politics and secessionist leanings get the cavity searches too, I don't give a fuck.

In late 1972, the emergency flight security rules had just begun to be implemented (after 300 hijackings in 4 years or  so) and so I, as the long haired hippie weirdo, was profiled by the FBI agent as the high risk passenger and given a pat down search. 

Jeebus, what you mean is "First Class passengers". For ordinary souls, airport security inconvenience isn't shit compared to the misery of flying cattle car class.

#50 2010-01-01 00:29:29

MSG Tripps wrote:

I believe in profiling Emmeran.  I prefer to be effective rather than political.

My point exactly boss, if we slant our caution towards a particular profile (read: young, arabic, muslim men) we expose ourselves in the extreme.  Since the 9/11 fiascal we have been hit by everything but the prototypical profile - including this latest attempt.

Coulter and her entourage belittle the risk and assume our enemies are not smart enough to recognize and capitalize on our tendencies; this is the danger introduced by profiling for a specific political gambit.  Coulter and her ilk (of either extreme) will never take ownership of their previous statements and historical facts are merely anecedotal evidence in their world; history means nothing - ratings are everything. 

However, if history teaches us one thing it is: Never underestimate your enemy for they will then kick your ass.

Board footer

cruelery.com