#1 2008-10-30 16:02:11

Dreamhost's only remedy for the shitty service we're seeing is migration to a new server at unpredicatable IP addresses and at an unpredictable, who-the-fuck-knows-when timetable. That's more service interruption while I square DNS with the new IP addresses. Unless I'm asleep or out to lunch.

I'd say screw Dreamhost altogether if reliable service elsewhere didn't apparently cost double and triple the freight.

1and1.com is about the same price but space and transfer volume are confined.

Discuss.

#2 2008-10-30 16:06:10

Why don't you have a paypal link in the menubar?

#3 2008-10-30 16:09:45

Choad, check your H.S. email.

#4 2008-10-30 16:32:54

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Because it's book keeping and paper trails for the sake of chicken feed. And because you guys are here for the same reason I am. The world should pay us to excrete this happy shit, not the other way around.

#5 2008-10-30 17:09:03

choad wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Because it's book keeping and paper trails for the sake of chicken feed. And because you guys are here for the same reason I am. The world should pay us to excrete this happy shit, not the other way around.

*applause*

#6 2008-10-30 18:26:30

I suppose I owe a quarter in lurker fines.... Give me a link and I'll paypal it to ya.

#7 2008-10-30 18:34:33

outhere wrote:

I suppose I owe a quarter in lurker fines.... Give me a link and I'll paypal it to ya.

Ditto.

#8 2008-10-30 18:35:30

See choadbag? We want to help.

#9 2008-10-30 19:37:12

IXwebhosting.com

Cheap... and the interface is funky but compared to Dreamhost, fuck, I love it.

D

#10 2008-10-30 20:59:09

PLEASE try ICDSoft  I've been using them for YEARS.  They are wonderful (based in Hong Kong) and they have always responded to my help needs within 15 minutes or less LIVE online.  Never ever had a problem getting hold of them to fix something.  They are cheaper than 1and1.  1and1 SUCKS MONKEY NUTS.  Deal with them as well on a client's server.  UGH.

I can probably get you a cheap price as a referral:

http://www.icdsoft.com/

#11 2008-10-30 21:40:05

I'm in for a dime maybe more if we can resurrect Lowbrow

#12 2008-10-30 21:41:58

To more accurately state it, most here would happily contribute a couple of bucks a month to keep our playground available.  We use an autopay system at the rugby club and the donors love it.

#13 2008-10-30 21:52:17

I'm thinking if we tough it out, the new servers might work and if they don't, we move elsewhere, skipping out with no remorse on next year's DH contract. Their email tech support is the 7th circle of hell.

#14 2008-10-30 21:52:27

Roger_That wrote:

PLEASE try ICDSoft  I've been using them for YEARS.  They are wonderful (based in Hong Kong) and they have always responded to my help needs within 15 minutes or less LIVE online.  Never ever had a problem getting hold of them to fix something.  They are cheaper than 1and1.  1and1 SUCKS MONKEY NUTS.  Deal with them as well on a client's server.  UGH.

I can probably get you a cheap price as a referral:

http://www.icdsoft.com/

Wog... can you run radio and video there, without kissing butt to the recording industry?
Thanks for any knowledge you can throw my way...

D

#15 2008-10-30 22:17:40

I have no opinion except yeah, a donation thing would be cool, but I do have a question. what was the deal with "Cruelette" on the Cruel site? Anyone know the story behind it?
Curious. I feel like we need a sticky "lore" link-with the horse story, the chinese insane person bio, etc.

#16 2008-10-30 23:10:37

There is a cruel history somewhere on this site, that I wrote up.  I think it even addresses kathaksung.

D -  Not sure about the radio and video restrictions.  You'd have to do some digging.  But yeah, they are located and hosted in Hong Kong...so...your chance is fair.

BTW, their "sure support" system is fan-tastic.  Those guys even helped me pick through some of my shitty dbase code which wasn't related to the site at all...and they did it quickly, nicely, and with panache.

I have pointed about 6 or 7 people their way, and they have all raved.  Score one for overseas hosting.

#17 2008-10-31 13:54:45

Hmm, hadn't heard of icdsoft before, but sounds interesting.  I only see a couple negatives: no ssh access, and it appears that there is a limit on the number of cron jobs you can run*.  Also:

Can I place adult oriented banners on my site?
Absolutely not. We do not allow any adult related materials on our servers!!!

Don't know some of the content posted here falls afoul of that or not.

Any technical issues can probably be worked around easily.

*At least according to the demo control panel; maybe someone using them already can provide a definitive answer.

Roger_That wrote:

There is a cruel history somewhere on this site, that I wrote up.

It even made the front page once upon a time.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#18 2008-10-31 21:52:25

square wrote:

Don't know some of the content posted here falls afoul of that or not.

The general rule is "if you have to ask..." then you're probably going to run afoul of anyone who puts forth a credo of cleanliness. Excepting one or two threads created (and publicly visible) for the specific purposes of prurience and shock, the remainder of the text is definitely "adult oriented," which doesn't necessarily have to be titties, cock, and fuckity fuck fucking.

Believe it or don't, there are some hosts out there who would scrap/scrub a site without warning to its admins just because there were gay members or content. I know, I know. The horror.

Board footer

cruelery.com