#2 2009-06-05 12:41:02

I take mine everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than the other way around. God bless Indiana and our "don't back down" law.

If I'm going somewhere particularly scary, I might even be wearing what I like to call a "2 piece suit".

If I have to enter a courthouse, I have a bolted-locked box under my seat that holds them both. Other than that, they go with me.

Very few places, at least around here, are illegal to carry into. Sure, a store may ask you to leave, but there is no law against it. Plus, if you are using one of those ace-bandage like deals nobody ever knows you have it, anyway.

Then again, I don't drink. I don't really do bars but you can count on me at least sporting my throw-away .22 if I'm in one. Some people laugh at .22's (I prefer my USP .45 and my CZ) but more people are killed with .22's than any other handgun, so go figure.

#3 2009-06-08 14:54:00

Now if only they would get on the ball and pass the same law in Virginia.

I carry, but I don't drink when I do. Usually the wife and I flip a coin to determine who is the designated driver and carrier.

#4 2009-06-11 09:11:15

They're doing the same thing in AZ. The regulation states that liquor may not be given to anyone with a firearm, but this is sorta complicated for the servers, seeing as how the weapons are already concealed.

#5 2009-06-11 09:43:45

pALEPHx wrote:

They're doing the same thing in AZ. The regulation states that liquor may not be given to anyone with a firearm, but this is sorta complicated for the servers, seeing as how the weapons are already concealed.

AZ is an open carry state.

#6 2009-06-11 10:01:06

Scotty wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

AZ is an open carry state.

But there was formerly no legislation allowing concealed weapons to be brought into establishments where alcohol was served. The local liquor board is against it; the 2nd Amendment whacks, obviously for. The more places you can bring a gun, apparently, the 'safer' everyone is.

There has been a rash of 'bar adjacent' and other shootings, as reported by local news since the beginning of the year (when the station programmers obviously choose between a quality-of-life crime, like vandalism, or a violent felony to repeatedly make the broadcasts, to promote the idea that it's on the rise and everyone should be scared).

To actually permit people to bring their weapons INTO bars--rather than be compelled to leave them in their cars, where there are parking lot shootings, but one still has to premeditate/lie in wait--is asking for trouble. Fisticuffs and whacks upside the head with pool cues now have a new option for 'settling' drunk altercations.

Should the bill be passed, I wonder whether they will actually report any rise in such shootings, or turn a blind eye in order to appease the local conservative base. These are the same people who recently went to a gun show in the local area to 'stock up' on firearms almost solely on the basis that they believed Obama was out to vitiate/clarify the 2nd Amendment, which does not truly spell out and guarantee private ownership in peacetime.

Interviewed leaving the expo with a shiny new AK-47, one man was asked what he had bought it for. "Home protection," was his immediate reply. Because, you know, when a meth head comes slinking around and breaks a window, he deserves to be instantly aerated.

#7 2009-06-11 10:06:48

So is Virginia and open carry is mandatory anywhere with an on-site liquor license. But in AZ, isn't the regulation against "serving" alcohol, making it the servers fault? That's wrong.

Why can't they just make it Carry Under the Influence, just like driving? Same rules, same equipment, same punishment.

#8 2009-06-11 10:08:25

pALEPHx wrote:

Because, you know, when a meth head comes slinking around and breaks a window, he deserves to be instantly aerated.

What do you do, make him a sandwich?

#9 2009-06-11 11:16:09

I prefer to rely on two big black dogs and a 12-gauge with birdshot for home defense.  Cuz yah know sheet rock doesn't offer much in the way of protection for you loved ones in the next room against that 30-cal round.

(the dogs have the run of the house and yard - all day, every day)

#10 2009-06-12 13:26:22

GooberMcNutly wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

Because, you know, when a meth head comes slinking around and breaks a window, he deserves to be instantly aerated.

Oh, I dunno. When, in most cases, your simple appearance on the scene is generally enough to thwart most would-be robbers, I'd think a 'warning shot' from your average sidearm would be sufficient (minus the redoing of your own drywall after said shot). A taser would also do what was needed. I mean, why not merely 'incapacitate' rather than 'ventillate?' Is 'justifiable manslaughter' really worth all the paperwork? The obvious point here is that an AK-47 is literal overkill. I happen to prefer knives and, really, if someone bothered to show up here with a gun of any variety, they're frankly welcome to whatever of my crap they want. There's nothing of worth that's really portable.

Underlying all this, I think what really got me was that a great number of expo attendees didn't look as if they could feed their own children, yet it's appropriate to drop hundreds/thousands on multiple automatic weapons? Many of them, I also believe, were not just motivated by rumorz on teh Intarwebz from Obama's camp. Some people see the current economic crisis, among other 'signs,' as a harbinger of the complete meltdown of social order. These people are buying guns because they expect to have to not only defend themselves, or hunt, but also to expect lawlessness to compel them to wipe out half their neighborhoods to procure canned goods.

#11 2009-06-13 00:27:23

pALEPHx wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

Oh, I dunno. When, in most cases, your simple appearance on the scene is generally enough to thwart most would-be robbers, I'd think a 'warning shot' from your average sidearm would be sufficient (minus the redoing of your own drywall after said shot). A taser would also do what was needed. I mean, why not merely 'incapacitate' rather than 'ventillate?' Is 'justifiable manslaughter' really worth all the paperwork? The obvious point here is that an AK-47 is literal overkill. I happen to prefer knives and, really, if someone bothered to show up here with a gun of any variety, they're frankly welcome to whatever of my crap they want. There's nothing of worth that's really portable.

Underlying all this, I think what really got me was that a great number of expo attendees didn't look as if they could feed their own children, yet it's appropriate to drop hundreds/thousands on multiple automatic weapons? Many of them, I also believe, were not just motivated by rumorz on teh Intarwebz from Obama's camp. Some people see the current economic crisis, among other 'signs,' as a harbinger of the complete meltdown of social order. These people are buying guns because they expect to have to not only defend themselves, or hunt, but also to expect lawlessness to compel them to wipe out half their neighborhoods to procure canned goods.

Well, for one thing, a dead guy can't sue you, later on.

Also, a dead guy can't testify when the family tries to sue you for wrongful death.

Always remember, shoot him in his chest, then one to the dome when he's down, then one in the ceiling. Then, simply repeat, "I fired a warning shot" (as you point to the roof) "but he just kept coming at me!".

No jail and you'll beat the family lawsuit, because, after all, you are the only one with the story to tell.

#12 2009-06-13 04:21:13

ptah13 wrote:

Also, a dead guy can't testify when the family tries to sue you for wrongful death.

Always remember, shoot him in his chest, then one to the dome when he's down, then one in the ceiling. Then, simply repeat, "I fired a warning shot" (as you point to the roof) "but he just kept coming at me!".

No jail and you'll beat the family lawsuit, because, after all, you are the only one with the story to tell.

Should I be impressed that you have a script for this?

Really, an indifference to life may be a Cruel/HS staple, but I suppose I thought it was something one could separate from certain realities. It seems like you've put thought into this one. Call it queer (by whatever standard), but I'm just fine with a live person testifying how they attempted to break in and were subsequently hobbled for life. Less complete than death, don't you think, and therefore far crueler?

I mean, no one REALLY learns a lesson, unless they're around to appreciate it.

Last edited by pALEPHx (2009-06-13 04:21:45)

#13 2009-06-13 04:44:25

Don't see what the big deal is, the latest craze in my hometown is walking around wearing a loaded revolver and cowboy hat.  The police don't care and the sheriff encourages the locals to pack heat.  He claims that with all the citizens being armed it will make his job a lot easier.  A woman from Southern California who calls herself Mama Liberty started the craze a couple of years back and now it's a common scene there.  No one has been hurt and no one feels threatened, crime is down and the people are making a statement, who gives a shit?

#14 2009-06-13 21:35:39

I love the concept of the "warning shot". Next you are going to tell me to "shoot the gun out of his hand" just like the do in all the 1950's westerns. Or fill my shotgun with rock salt. Or rack the shotgun a few times just to get his attention. Got any other great ideas?

The law provides no defense for a "warning shot" and any time you draw your gun it should be to deliver a killing shot in defense of human life. The do otherwise is "brandishing" and makes you the guilty party.

#15 2009-06-13 21:59:41

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I love the concept of the "warning shot". Next you are going to tell me to "shoot the gun out of his hand" just like the do in all the 1950's westerns. Or fill my shotgun with rock salt. Or rack the shotgun a few times just to get his attention. Got any other great ideas?

The law provides no defense for a "warning shot" and any time you draw your gun it should be to deliver a killing shot in defense of human life. The do otherwise is "brandishing" and makes you the guilty party.

Wait, you mean Ptah might not know what he's talking about?!?

Color me shocked...

#16 2009-06-14 01:34:50

pALEPHx wrote:

ptah13 wrote:

Should I be impressed that you have a script for this?

Really, an indifference to life may be a Cruel/HS staple, but I suppose I thought it was something one could separate from certain realities. It seems like you've put thought into this one. Call it queer (by whatever standard), but I'm just fine with a live person testifying how they attempted to break in and were subsequently hobbled for life. Less complete than death, don't you think, and therefore far crueler?

I mean, no one REALLY learns a lesson, unless they're around to appreciate it.

I would be completely content with never having to have killed any person for as long as my time lasts on this rock.

With that being said, if someone comes in my home with the intent to do me or my family harm, I'm going to ENSURE they don't succeed. If they happen to live and end up a cripple, great! The only downside is that the moronic masses will, no doubt, award them millions of dollars in damages, when they sue me.

I have no faith in the jury system. Crooks sue folks and win all the time. Just paint said crack-thief as some pitiful, abused-childhood-suffering "robin-hood-type" and you as this evil, illuminati-loving gun freak, aching to blow someone away!

Hopefully, nothing like that will ever happen. Again, I have no desire to hurt anyone. Hell, I feel like shit when I've accidently hit small animals.

But, I would suggest ya'll knock when you come over!     Just sayin'.

#17 2009-06-14 01:37:24

Dirckman wrote:

Don't see what the big deal is, the latest craze in my hometown is walking around wearing a loaded revolver and cowboy hat.  The police don't care and the sheriff encourages the locals to pack heat.  He claims that with all the citizens being armed it will make his job a lot easier.  A woman from Southern California who calls herself Mama Liberty started the craze a couple of years back and now it's a common scene there.  No one has been hurt and no one feels threatened, crime is down and the people are making a statement, who gives a shit?

Amen.

A gun is a tool, like a hammer or a screwdriver.

Any of the 3 could be used to kill.

I don't see what all the hoopla is about.

a bunch of fuckin' hoople-heads, if you ask me.

#18 2009-06-14 01:44:40

tojo2000 wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Wait, you mean Ptah might not know what he's talking about?!?

Color me shocked...

Wtf are you talking about?

Again, you failed to read my post. If anything, Goober is agreeing with me.

I said, "shoot the guy, then shoot him again, the shoot the ceiling and say, 'I fired a warning shot'".

It's a ALL a freakin' joke. Where I come from, you don't even get handcuffs put on you when the cops come and find an intruder in your home that you just aerated. The TV guy says, "the police are investigating, and their findings will be turned over to the prosecutor to determine if any crime has been committed". This is the "canned phrasing" used by our local TV crews when some old guy blows away some crack-head that he catches in his home (or any similar obvious self-defense shooting).

If it turns out the guy getting shot just happens to have been sleeping with the shooters ho or anything like that, then that is a different story, I'm talking about simple "break in gone bad" situations.

My point being, you don't need any excuse where I come from, other than being able to claim you were in fear for your life, for taking someones life.

bejesus

learn-2-read

Last edited by ptah13 (2009-06-14 01:47:38)

#19 2009-06-14 08:59:39

pALEPHx wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

No, gun owners don't plan to raid their neighbors' homes for canned goods; they're worried about securing their own homes against raids in the event that, say, a grinding economic meltdown drives/panics many citizens and non-citizens into violent lawlessness. The owners' fears are warranted: we have a MASSIVE, totally unserviceable national debt that's sitting there like a time bomb waiting to go off. Assuming the federal government doesn't confiscate most of our wealth first to cover deficit spending...when that debt bomb goes off, our country's going down big-time.  Might happen a year from now, might happen ten years from now, but it WILL happen; there's nothing to stop it from happening, save the aforementioned confiscation. Given our fiat currency standard, a loss of foreign and domestic confidence in the dollar would be all it takes to start a downward spiral of our currency. (China's already backing away from the dollar. Scary.) Who knows, we might experience a reenactment of the Weimar Republic's hyperinflation meltdown; the ingredients are all there. Nothing like paying a million or billion dollars for a loaf of bread! Worst-case scenario, we might be talking Dust Bowl levels of poverty across the nation. Think: "The Grapes of Wrath." BUT, unlike the America of the 1930s, we have neither the genteel, stoic society nor the domestic manufacturing base that would let us bounce back from a deep economic depression without violent social upheaval and profound infrastructure breakdowns. [See http://brillig.com/debt_clock/ and be horrified by the debt figures.]

Given a climate of financial uncertainty---current and future---we may not only need our own measures to combat crime, we may also need self-protection against the kind of tyrannical government that could arise from a new Great Depression or new Weimar Republic (the old Weimar Republic having ushered in the Nazi Party). Why SHOULDN'T the public be worried that gun-grabbing legislators will try to take away our sole means of personal self-defense? The massive surge in sales of guns and ammunition is the public's way of saying to overcontrolling legislators, "Keep your hands off of our ability to defend ourselves against criminals and despots." Don't expect those purchasers to meekly turn over their firearms to authorities after a gun ban, either; they are buying the guns and ammo to purposely CIRCUMVENT any gun control measure. (Personally, if I had a collection of valuable firearms---which I don't---I'd hide some of them away with plenty of ammo in humidity-proofed underground caches, off-site from my house. "Just in case." But that's me; I can't speak for anyone else.)

#20 2009-06-14 15:33:21

Nobody likes a wrong bettor.

#21 2009-06-16 07:29:11

scarydog wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

No, gun owners don't plan to raid their neighbors' homes for canned goods; they're worried about securing their own homes against raids in the event that, say, a grinding economic meltdown drives/panics many citizens and non-citizens into violent lawlessness. The owners' fears are warranted: we have a MASSIVE, totally unserviceable national debt that's sitting there like a time bomb waiting to go off. Assuming the federal government doesn't confiscate most of our wealth first to cover deficit spending...when that debt bomb goes off, our country's going down big-time.  Might happen a year from now, might happen ten years from now, but it WILL happen; there's nothing to stop it from happening, save the aforementioned confiscation. Given our fiat currency standard, a loss of foreign and domestic confidence in the dollar would be all it takes to start a downward spiral of our currency. (China's already backing away from the dollar. Scary.) Who knows, we might experience a reenactment of the Weimar Republic's hyperinflation meltdown; the ingredients are all there. Nothing like paying a million or billion dollars for a loaf of bread! Worst-case scenario, we might be talking Dust Bowl levels of poverty across the nation. Think: "The Grapes of Wrath." BUT, unlike the America of the 1930s, we have neither the genteel, stoic society nor the domestic manufacturing base that would let us bounce back from a deep economic depression without violent social upheaval and profound infrastructure breakdowns. [See http://brillig.com/debt_clock/ and be horrified by the debt figures.]

Given a climate of financial uncertainty---current and future---we may not only need our own measures to combat crime, we may also need self-protection against the kind of tyrannical government that could arise from a new Great Depression or new Weimar Republic (the old Weimar Republic having ushered in the Nazi Party). Why SHOULDN'T the public be worried that gun-grabbing legislators will try to take away our sole means of personal self-defense? The massive surge in sales of guns and ammunition is the public's way of saying to overcontrolling legislators, "Keep your hands off of our ability to defend ourselves against criminals and despots." Don't expect those purchasers to meekly turn over their firearms to authorities after a gun ban, either; they are buying the guns and ammo to purposely CIRCUMVENT any gun control measure. (Personally, if I had a collection of valuable firearms---which I don't---I'd hide some of them away with plenty of ammo in humidity-proofed underground caches, off-site from my house. "Just in case." But that's me; I can't speak for anyone else.)

Hey now. We have a lot of socialists on this here board and they don't take kindly to the dropping of the Nazi card and besmirching fellow socialists.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just sayin', "be careful".

Board footer

cruelery.com