#51 2009-07-13 23:56:55

tojo2000 wrote:

believing that babies go to hell is not a property of being a fundamentalist Christian

Ballsack aside, Fire and brimstone is the definition of "fundamentalist" Christian.  They're rather liberal about who it rains down upon.  Tojo, have you ever attended revival Baptist or Pentacostal services?  They're like theme parks where everybody gets to burn in hell, but not just yet because the church is too poor to install the ride.

Besides, the Papacy recently uncreated purgatory.  So where did the 2000 years of unbaptised Roman Catholic babies go?  Well, they didn't specify, what does that tell you?

#52 2009-07-14 00:14:58

opsec wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

believing that babies go to hell is not a property of being a fundamentalist Christian

Ballsack aside, Fire and brimstone is the definition of "fundamentalist" Christian.  They're rather liberal about who it rains down upon.  Tojo, have you ever attended revival Baptist or Pentacostal services?  They're like theme parks where everybody gets to burn in hell, but not just yet because the church is too poor to install the ride.

Besides, the Papacy recently uncreated purgatory.  So where did the 2000 years of unbaptised Roman Catholic babies go?  Well, they didn't specify, what does that tell you?

"Fundamentalist Christian" means that you believe that every word of the Bible is to be taken literally.  I suspect the definition is starting to stray a bit.  Whether or not babies or people who have never heard of Christianity go to heaven or hell has to do with your interpretation of a particular part of Romans that I won't bother to look up now.  Similarly, which denomination you're in dictates whether baptism actually signifies the process of being saved or whether it's a ceremony of personal commitment to Christianity, and whether or not babies can be baptized is another topic that will get some people in a tizzy and draw an apathetic shrug from others.  I remember seeing a tract once called "All of the places in the Bible that mention infant baptism."  It was about 20 blank pages.  Anyway, I digress.  The point is that these are things that not everyone believes.  I came from a pretty fundamentalist Baptist church when I was very young.  Their take on it was that babies don't go to hell because they haven't had a chance to make a personal choice to follow Jesus, and they believed that becoming a Christian and being baptized were separate events.  I know not every denomination has the same take on it, and I'm sure the extent to which a church believes in predestination probably has a hand in it as well.

#53 2009-07-14 00:46:55

tojo2000 wrote:

opsec wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

"Fundamentalist Christian" means that you believe that every word of the Bible is to be taken literally.  I suspect the definition is starting to stray a bit.  Whether or not babies or people who have never heard of Christianity go to heaven or hell has to do with your interpretation of a particular part of Romans that I won't bother to look up now.  Similarly, which denomination you're in dictates whether baptism actually signifies the process of being saved or whether it's a ceremony of personal commitment to Christianity, and whether or not babies can be baptized is another topic that will get some people in a tizzy and draw an apathetic shrug from others.  I remember seeing a tract once called "All of the places in the Bible that mention infant baptism."  It was about 20 blank pages.  Anyway, I digress.  The point is that these are things that not everyone believes.  I came from a pretty fundamentalist Baptist church when I was very young.  Their take on it was that babies don't go to hell because they haven't had a chance to make a personal choice to follow Jesus, and they believed that becoming a Christian and being baptized were separate events.  I know not every denomination has the same take on it, and I'm sure the extent to which a church believes in predestination probably has a hand in it as well.

It all comes down to the theory of "Original Sin".

The thing is, there aren't any truly 'original' sins left... I know... I've tried.

#54 2009-07-14 07:21:44

opsec wrote:

While not official doctrine, Limbo is the traditional catch-all resting place for unbabtised babies. At least that's what I was taught.

#55 2009-07-14 11:10:58

It must be loud in Limbo plus there's a fuckload of spit up.

#56 2009-07-16 12:06:36

tojo2000 wrote:

opsec wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

I've been to dozens of churches, several of which were Baptist, and it sounds to me like you went to a pretty LIBERAL Baptist church, IMHO. Maybe you didn't see it that way because you went there.

ALL of our local Baptist churches use to push hard for the children to all go to this huge Baptist school (that later was in the national news due to a huge armed standoff between the schools leader and the FBI). This school would give you days off school if you picketed concerts. If you attended ANY rock and roll concert, you'd be suspended from school. This place had a graduating class in the upper hundreds, so it wasn't your typical Church-owned school.

My best friend went to this school. He didn't see his first concert till after graduation. I use to see him picketing when I would go see Pink Floyd or whatever. funny

Sounds to me, like everything else about you Tojo, that your ideas of what is a fundamentalist belief are extremely liberal and naive.

But hey, what can I say. You take your narrow-view life experiences and formulate your little theories based on them. It is all good. Every message board has to have an ignorant ho-bag such as yourself! (Jesus, I'm kidding, at least about this part, lighten up)

No, I get what you are saying, though. As long as there is one person, who considers themselves a "fundamentalist", that DOESN'T believe the babies go to hell, then you get to claim that "not ALL fundamentalists believe that". I get it. No matter how silly it is to say. This is like saying, "not all homosexuals are against killing homosexuals", as long as there is one confused homosexual minister out there who professes to want all homosexuals burned at the stake. So, while your premise may be true, from those of us who know some REAL fundamentalists, thanks for the giggle!

At least we can all agree that you'll be roasting in the fire for violating the laws of Leviticus (that laying with a man thing will get ya every time!).

Last edited by ptah13 (2009-07-16 12:07:53)

Board footer

cruelery.com