#51 2009-09-29 18:30:42

phreddy wrote:

Well Glenn Beck may have a past that includes juvenile comedy, but conservatives haven't elected him to the U.S. Senate.

You are really going to try to pass off that old photo-chopped image?  Really, Phred?  Damn - I would have thought that at least that much was "a-bove you".

#52 2009-09-29 22:05:42

I'm a conservative minded person and I hate seeing what is considered "conservative" these days.  George Bush and Dick Cheney are considered "conservative" and they spent money like Democrats and entered into non-retaliatory wars.  Seems that conservatism has completely lost it's root philosophy of individualism and self-ownership and has become yet another big government alternative to the left.  There isn't a single person in politics these days that doesn't insist on stomping on people's rights in one way or the other.  Even Ron Paul insists on keeping the borders closed to immigration and stomping out people's rights to travel freely to wherever they want.  Fox News is definitely more entertaining than its competition and to their credit they actually put more legitimate guests on their shows for the opposition.  They have higher ratings because they certainly put out a better product than what you get from CNN or MSNBC.  With that said, they're giving conservatism a bad name and making what conservatism really is seem unpalatable by namesake.

#53 2009-09-29 22:32:04

Dirckman wrote:

I'm a conservative minded person and I hate seeing what is considered "conservative" these days.  George Bush and Dick Cheney are considered "conservative" and they spent money like Democrats and entered into non-retaliatory wars.  Seems that conservatism has completely lost it's root philosophy of individualism and self-ownership and has become yet another big government alternative to the left.  There isn't a single person in politics these days that doesn't insist on stomping on people's rights in one way or the other.  Even Ron Paul insists on keeping the borders closed to immigration and stomping out people's rights to travel freely to wherever they want.  Fox News is definitely more entertaining than its competition and to their credit they actually put more legitimate guests on their shows for the opposition.  They have higher ratings because they certainly put out a better product than what you get from CNN or MSNBC.  With that said, they're giving conservatism a bad name and making what conservatism really is seem unpalatable by namesake.

What he said...

(well all except the fondling goats bit, that's just a bit to "constitutional" for me)

#54 2009-09-29 23:11:01

*waking from my months-long slumber*

Hey Phreddy - what is conservatism these days?

Smaller government? - Nix W. Bush, H.W. Bush and Reagan.

Fiscal restraint? - Nix those three again, but Clinton qualifies.

Personal freedoms? - Nix those three again.

Second amendment rights? - Nix W. Bush, but Obama qualifies.

Pro-business? - All politicians are pro business.

Less taxes? - Nix H.W. Bush and W. Bush, unless you are in the top income bracket.

Religious domination? - well, you got me there...the only thing the republicans still practice.

If you are truly conservative, then you definitely can't be republican.

Your thoughts?

#55 2009-09-30 00:08:36

outhere wrote:

*waking from my months-long slumber*

Hey Phreddy - what is conservatism these days?

Smaller government? - Nix W. Bush, H.W. Bush and Reagan.

Fiscal restraint? - Nix those three again, but Clinton qualifies.

Personal freedoms? - Nix those three again.

Second amendment rights? - Nix W. Bush, but Obama qualifies.

Pro-business? - All politicians are pro business.

Less taxes? - Nix H.W. Bush and W. Bush, unless you are in the top income bracket.

Religious domination? - well, you got me there...the only thing the republicans still practice.

If you are truly conservative, then you definitely can't be republican.

Your thoughts?

Conservatism to me is allowing people to make their own choices whether for the better or for the worst and either reaping the benefits or suffering the consequences....  Conservatism to me is legalizing everything and adopting natural law which basically states that you don't hit people or take their stuff....  In a truly conservative society all drugs from marijauna to methamphetamine would be legalized along with prostitution and abortion....  There would be no racist fucktards screaming about illegal immigration or trying to stifle competition from an outside source...  In a truly conservative society there would be no system of entitlements, nobody would be given anything for simply existing.... Welfare in all forms would dissapear and the free market would determine the winners and losers based on merit rather than some authoritarian sociopath giving handouts to their constituency...  Immigration is a perfect example of what is wrong with our current statist system...  The only complaints against immigration that I have heard is that they'll take our jobs and that they'll take advantage of our social systems...  If they take your job then you're a pathetic piece of shit, most immigrants aren't fluent in English and are less educated than your average American, if they're a more valuable asset, then you're one lazy sonofabitch....   The second argument against immigration is that they'll take advantage of our social programs....  That means we need to do away with our social programs which leaves them with nothing but producing a product or service that we want and need and are willing to exchange our money for...  Conservatism is about creating wealth and it views greed as good, it's about people producing more to better their lives and having the freedom to make their own choices.  People point out capitalism and greed as being a bad thing using corporations and the military industrial complex as an example, they fail to realize that corporations and the military industrial complex are government created entities....  The United States has the language of freedom and a few historical examples of liberty based ideals stemming from the enlightenment...  It's about time we put those ideals to work and adopt agorism, market anarchy, anarchocapitalism, and voluntaryism....  These are the only ideologies that are non-contradictory and put everyone on a level playing field....  These ideologies also provide people with the most freedom to live their own lives and to succeed and build wealth....

#59 2009-10-14 20:43:39

I noted the difference in British and American Conservative values many times.  Anyway, I have had nice associations with Tories, and Republicans, Wacky Libertarians et al...

This one little snippet from the comments is for Phweddski:

"As an American, I am deeply embarrassed that you can see him "over the pond." Please keep in mind that, while he is popular, his audience is confined mostly to religious nuts, and those with other mental conditions or defects. Even conservative Republicans like Sen. Lindsay Graham have criticized him. And his best bits can be unintentionally funny, in a Monty Python sort of way."

My Bold....

#60 2009-10-14 21:22:45

Dmtdust wrote:

his best bits can be unintentionally funny, in a Monty Python sort of way.

Nothing this guy does is unintentional; he's figured out the Rush equation - say whatever will get the ratings, cash the check and keep your true opinions wrapped up safely out of sight.

Last edited by Emmeran (2009-10-15 00:35:45)

#61 2009-10-15 00:32:49

The average Brit would assume a televangelist program is some form of American comedy unless told otherwise.  The worldview of a Beck fan is totally incomprehensible from their perspective.

Last edited by fnord (2009-10-15 00:33:25)

#62 2009-11-06 14:20:00

Board footer

cruelery.com