#1 2009-12-17 21:39:35

Doing a ham tonight for the (sudden) work potluck tomorrow.

I could go to Epicurious or Food but that's kind of lame; I have half a ham (unsliced) - let's see what ya'll gots.

(RT: you can take a miss on this one, after my last post I fear that you may poison me.  luvya)

#2 2009-12-17 22:19:43

kim

Oh lord, thats easy. Put it in a large enough pan put brown sugar on top, like on the skin, dump coca cola all over it and baste when needed. Coca cola ham! Fucking tasty. You could even layer some bacon on top as well for added fat and taste

#3 2009-12-17 22:32:48

I don't do ham, but I found this for Xmas Breakfast

http://www.kcra.com/food/21596015/detail.html

#4 2009-12-17 22:32:58

She's right.

Also, I don't care how cool your co-workers are or how much you love your work environment--your co-workers are not worthy of ham.  Next time, just make somet crock-pot glop and call it good.

#5 2009-12-17 22:40:26

George Orr wrote:

Also, I don't care how cool your co-workers are or how much you love your work environment--your co-workers are not worthy of ham.  Next time, just make somet crock-pot glop and call it good.

Too true, however I'm one of the "executives" so I kinda have to represent; besides, half-a-ham was on sale at Ralphs for $10.

#6 2009-12-17 22:50:33

kim

I'm telling you. Coca cola ham. Fucking de-lish and easy and hell and you hit up 7/11 and buy a liter of coke and brown sugar. or use maple syrup the last 10 mins of cooking

#7 2009-12-17 22:57:05

Well, all I have is diet coke sooooo.....

I hit it with hard cider and brown sugar.

I have another in the fridge for the family this weekend - will do the coke thing then.

Bonus - I have two ham-bones to make potato soup with....it's gonna be a fat weekend.

Last edited by Emmeran (2009-12-17 22:57:33)

#8 2009-12-18 00:53:09

City or country ham?

#9 2009-12-18 08:25:34

Emmeran wrote:

Doing a ham tonight for the (sudden) work potluck tomorrow.

I could go to Epicurious or Food but that's kind of lame; I have half a ham (unsliced) - let's see what ya'll gots.

(RT: you can take a miss on this one, after my last post I fear that you may poison me.  luvya)

Haha, don't worry Emmeran - like I said, I don't force my (legions) of men to conform to my beliefs.  I just warn them that they will suffer consequences if they cross me.

And I can't give you recipe advice because the only form of ham I eat willingly is BACON.  Bacon is the answer to everything.

#10 2009-12-18 08:27:58

Oh and since we're on the cooking subject again -

For those of you on the right coast, we're gonna get some *snow* (seems about half a foot to a foot here).  In following with typical Marylander over-reaction, I will be trudging to the grocery at some point today.  Mostly because the liquor store is next door, but also because I know I will be bored being snowed in and figure it might be a good weekend to try some new recipes and eat myself silly.

Suggestions for recipes for hearty, meaty, and not super expensive dinners/breakfasts?

Oh, and like I said before, I don't do ham...unless it's bacon.

Last edited by Roger_That (2009-12-18 08:28:21)

#11 2009-12-18 11:04:48

When it's cold outside, you can't go wrong dumping in hot peppers, curry or anything with loads of savory spices. Try a lamb vindaloo, some ancho chili rubbed skirt steak or pumpkin baked with cinnamon, coriander and grains of paradise.

#12 2009-12-18 11:13:22

It's so g-damned hard to get lamb around here.  Plus I'm all curried out.  I've done nothing but eat Indian stuff lately, or soup with curry.  Maybe I'll make a meatloaf tonight with peas and mashed potatoes.  Hmm.

#13 2009-12-18 11:56:57

The point of doing ham today was so that I can make a nice potato and ham soup this weekend  -  fat city.

#14 2009-12-18 13:06:20

kim

Roger_That wrote:

It's so g-damned hard to get lamb around here.  Plus I'm all curried out.  I've done nothing but eat Indian stuff lately, or soup with curry.  Maybe I'll make a meatloaf tonight with peas and mashed potatoes.  Hmm.

Or how about an Old Peoples Delite - grilled cheese and tomato soup?
Or a mini thanksgiving?

#15 2009-12-18 14:31:12

kim wrote:

Oh, yeah.  That or chili are my Winter standards.

#16 2009-12-18 19:20:03

kim wrote:

Roger_That wrote:

Or a mini thanksgiving?

Grilled cheese with fried (caramelized) tomatoes.

And if you really want to try something different and really good, try mixing one can of Campbell's tomato soup and one can of split-pea soup, with one can of milk and one of water.  Yeah, I know, it sounds disgusting, but it's WONDERFUL.

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2009-12-18 19:21:27)

#17 2009-12-18 19:55:47

Decadence wrote:

kim wrote:

Oh, yeah.  That or chili are my Winter standards.

Cream of God Damned chicken soup, with lots of veggies, and fresh French bread.

#18 2009-12-18 20:39:55

Ooh, another food thread!  Whee!

I must confess to loving tomato soup and grilled cheese.  That's one of my comfort foods--in fact, eating tomato soup and cheese toast is one of my earliest memories.  But you gotta use milk, not water.  If you use water it's just uck.

In the spirit of filling/fattening/comforting/cold weather gorging, I now present to you a recipe (from my grandmother so no snide remarks or I'll come to your town and burn your house down) which was recently unearthed and which I have not yet tried:

Granny Redacted's Chicken-Vegetable Pot Pie   

1-2 ½ to 3 lb broiler fryer
(I buy boneless skinless breasts to save time and I do use about 3 lbs because we like it meaty)
1 tsp salt*
½ tsp black pepper*
4 to 5 medium potatoes (pared)
5 stalks celery
½ lb carrots
1-17oz can English peas (I use frozen)
½ cup butter or margarine (I HIGHLY recommend BUTTER NOT that other stuff)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
1 chicken flavored bouillon cube
2 tsps salt*
½ tsp black pepper
Pastry for a double crust 9-in pie (I sometimes buy actual pie crusts and let them thaw, or the roll out pie crust from Pilsbury)
4 cups of chicken broth

Cook chicken and cut into bit size pieces (cook with a cup of chicken broth and some salt and pepper….save broth in case you need it later)

While chicken is cooking….
Cut potatoes, celery, and carrots into bite size pieces and place into 3 cups chicken broth and simmer until tender.  Drain vegetables and save broth.  Combine drained vegetables with cubed chicken in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan (I use glass).

This next part can be tricky….stay with it!
Melt butter in a heavy sauce pan over low heat; add flour, stir until smooth.  Cook ~ 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Gradually stir in milk, 3 cups broth, and bouillion cube.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.  Stir in 2 tsps of salt and ½ tsp pepper (or to taste….I of course throw in a few other spices like garlic powder, thyme, a tad of rosemary).  Pour sauce evenly over chicken vegetable mixture.

Pastry:  roll out as best you can to cover the mixture.  I find myself piecing it together because I’m not very good at this, but it turns out tasty….maybe not always gorgeous, but delicious just the same.  Do make sure you have some slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape.  Bake at 400°F for 45 to 55 minutes until crust is golden brown.

The third paragraph tickles me a little; I don't think my grandmother, who lived all her days in central NC, ever heard the word roux in her entire life.

(The above recipe is apparently supposed to feed four.  I love my food, but honestly, it looks more like six or even eight to me.)

#19 2009-12-18 21:12:45

Chicken pot pie, being a derivative form of cream of chicken soup, is also fan-fucking-tastic.  I do a pie crust on the bottom and biscuit dough on the top of Mine.

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2009-12-18 21:13:10)

#21 2009-12-19 09:31:26

OMG that's almost exactly how I make my chicken pot pie. The only diff is that I usually do it with leftover chicken rather than starting from zero. Real pie crust is definitely the way to go.

#22 2009-12-19 12:09:56

Decadent breakfast that even I can cook:

In a low casserole dish (Pyrex):

Slices of bread on bottom, cover fairly deep with uncooked scrambled eggs, drop in a reasonably heavy dose of cooked broken-up sausage (fat soaked off with paper towels), with some grated mild cheddar or colby, then top with some more grated cheese.  (I like sharper cheeses than most, so just pick what you prefer.)  Then bake until done at 350 like everything else under the sun.  You can mix onion and/or tomato into the eggs if you want, but then it can turn out a little too wet.

#23 2009-12-19 19:02:38

One head of cabbage shredded. Dice the ham. Saute the cabbage in butter. Add diced ham and saute a bit. Add two cups of heavy cream. Salt and pepper to taste and then sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese and stir a bit. Serve. Tasty!

#24 2009-12-19 19:47:40

This is what I made for breakfast this morning.  Awesomeness:

Dutch Babies (aka German Pancakes)

6 eggs
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Grease and flour 9 x 12 baking pan, preheat over to 425.

Melt butter completely and cool.  Beat 6 eggs well.  Add Butter to eggs.  Sift flour, sugar, and salt into a separate bowl.  Mix flour into egg mixture until thick but moist.

Bake in oven about 15-20 min, till firm but moist.

Top with confectioner's sugar/syrup

#25 2009-12-19 19:49:28

kim wrote:

Roger_That wrote:

Or a mini thanksgiving?

I had that for lunch today after 4 hours of snowshoeing in 2 feet of snow.  Tomato soup and sharp cheddar grilled cheese with a hot toddy.  YEAH.

#26 2009-12-19 21:26:59

Roger_That wrote:

g-damned

"g-damned"  I had no idea you were so delicate.

For Xmas, I'll be making an osso bucco, except with a turkey leg instead of lamb shanks, since I'll not have guests.  Anyway, I prefer my lamb as leg of, heavily barded with garlic slivers. Gravy from the pan juices, and new potatoes roasted in the aforesaid pan.

Board footer

cruelery.com