#151 2009-03-27 00:48:12

Maximum Overdrive is too shitty to even be a good bad movie.

#152 2009-03-27 19:09:05

tojo2000 wrote:

Maximum Overdrive is too shitty to even be a good bad movie.

That's as may be, but the soundtrack is the absolute tits.  I will brook no argument about that.

http://www.ctcwd.com/aswanson/music/bands/images/acdc/acdc_Who_Made_Who.jpg

#153 2009-03-27 21:49:20

Maximum Overdrive as an acceptable date movie requires, for me anyway, certain skills that only few men ever acquire....

Last edited by icangetyouatoe (2009-03-27 21:53:12)

#154 2009-03-27 22:57:50

icangetyouatoe wrote:

Maximum Overdrive as an acceptable date movie requires, for me anyway, certain skills that only few men ever acquire....

The ability to lick ones own eyebrow?  Say this is one, please!

#155 2009-03-28 02:36:34

Back on track here; the Ex is now a Cyborg with a bit of Boston Scientific technology embedded in her chest. 

However if I heard the Doc correctly she is down to 25% efficiency in the old ticker; hard place to be at her age.

#156 2009-03-28 10:37:21

Do you really want your children to be raised by a cyborg?  What if she decides they’re a good source of replacement parts?

#157 2009-03-28 10:55:27

fnord wrote:

Do you really want your children to be raised by a cyborg?

Who cares? Cyborgs are hott!

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/430_borg.jpg

Seriously, though, so sorry to hear of your continued struggles, Em. your boys are so fortunate to have you in their lives.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#158 2009-03-28 10:57:16

Emmeran wrote:

Back on track here; the Ex is now a Cyborg with a bit of Boston Scientific technology embedded in her chest. 

However if I heard the Doc correctly she is down to 25% efficiency in the old ticker; hard place to be at her age.

Pacemaker or one of those badass ventricular assist pumps?

#159 2009-03-28 12:44:12

Emmeran wrote:

Pretty much means she can hang around the house drinking calming herbal teas, doesn't it? Is there any assistance available for housekeeping?

#160 2011-03-15 21:03:32

Ahhhh Shit.  I should have gotten a family medical history before reproducing with this one.

These people are helping us.

Last edited by Emmeran (2011-03-15 21:05:17)

#161 2011-03-15 22:51:13

Aw shit, man, I'm sorry to hear that.

#162 2011-03-15 23:07:17

Hell, at this point I'm starting to feel like I'm Fnord screaming "niggers".  Sadly enough I need to figure out how to shepard the kids through this, they are 17 & 15 respectively and honestly have dealt with more than enough at this point.

Last edited by Emmeran (2011-03-15 23:07:40)

#163 2011-03-15 23:07:57

Oh, man, my heart goes out to you.  Been down that road personally... it's hell.

#164 2011-03-15 23:28:06

whosasailorthen wrote:

Oh, man, my heart goes out to you.  Been down that road personally... it's hell.

Actually - I think y'all can help me; or at least I'm going to drop a drag line to that effect. 

The X has been a Whole Foods employee dating back a long ways when considering the Wild Oats aquisition; not sure of the exact time frame but seems like 6 or 8 years.  However they are giving her the corporate run around now so I'm considering finding or starting a blog to attempt to shame them into standing up by her.  Currently their idea of fairness is to put the employee on disability and offer them COBRA, of course COBRA costs more than that employee will earn on disability.

So....if y'all internet rats can help me find some blog spots to begin making noise about this situation; perhaps the bad press will pressure the company into backing up their "wholesome" morals.  I'm searching, but the internet is a multi-headed dragon and harvesting it correctly requires a multitude of approaches. 

Yes I'm working the basic google searches but Whole Foods has spent well to bury any and all dissenting voices (I don't entirely condemn them for that, kooks are a significant section of their target market).

#165 2011-03-15 23:36:50

Damn sorry to hear all that, man!

#166 2011-03-16 09:17:01

I am sorry to hear it as well, Emm.  Let's hope it is slow progressing so that the kids have a chance to grow accustomed to the changes that are likely to unfold.

Unfortunately, I hardly know blogs from cohogs. 

Whole Foods can be a hard bargainer, I know that much.  They paint a kinder-gentler public image, but their treatment of employees does not seem to comport.  Likely they will do the legal minimum, unless pushed hard or shamed into it.  I know that Whole Foods is very sensitive about its public image.

#167 2011-03-16 09:29:26

Not that this really 'helps' much, but Cobra is being subsidized by the government these days.  I didn't have to pay any more than I was paying while fully employed.  I paid $125 a month instead of the $300+ it would have been without the gov't subsidization.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles...

#168 2011-03-16 12:54:52

Emmeran wrote:

Hell, at this point I'm starting to feel like I'm Fnord screaming "niggers".  Sadly enough I need to figure out how to shepard the kids through this, they are 17 & 15 respectively and honestly have dealt with more than enough at this point.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.  For the sake of your kids' futures, I hope your X's symptoms are the result of prolonged oxygen deprivation from her many surgeries and crises, not an inheritable condition.

#169 2011-03-16 13:00:10

Just read this Em.  Breathe deep, you'll get through this, and so will the wee wains.   We should get that drink together sometime soon.

#170 2011-03-16 22:23:24

Em, does she drink red wine, or is she capable?  Moderate amounts (1-2 cups per day) have been shown to slow the progression of Alzheimer's.  Plus, it helps in the treatment of the paranoia that accompanies the disease.  Really.  I'm serious.

#171 2011-03-16 22:49:47

The good folks at USC have started by focusing on her current prescriptions, after that they will consider the medical drama of two years ago (Re: what Fnord said) and then finally genetic Alzheimers.  These guys (gals actually) are very, very good, we get value out of every penny we give them; I now understand the difference between commercial doctors and research doctors.  (yes Phreddy, socialized medicine can be amazing)

#172 2011-03-17 01:45:58

That's all to the good then, knowing is better than dreading whatever the knowledge is. Hang in there.

#173 2011-03-17 03:01:08

Em, I'm so sorry to hear this.  Senile dementia I can deal with, but early onset Alzheimer's is pretty fucking unfair.

I hope they come up with some chemistry that will help.

#174 2011-03-17 11:14:57

Emmeran wrote:

The good folks at USC have started by focusing on her current prescriptions, after that they will consider the medical drama of two years ago (Re: what Fnord said) and then finally genetic Alzheimers.  These guys (gals actually) are very, very good, we get value out of every penny we give them; I now understand the difference between commercial doctors and research doctors.  (yes Phreddy, socialized medicine can be amazing)

The big difference is it's a teaching hospital.  You really learn something when you teach it.  Your ex has people who know what they're doing trying to show the best practices to people who are learning it. 
As for doctors the big difference is how much money they want to make.  The Boss started on her own last year and within a few months had to start turning down new patients and cut down on the number of places she visits.  The group that had most of the business she now has goes into a place, pulls all the charts and writes orders.  They don't bother to actually see the patient, that takes too much time when you're trying to make big money.  Since they're paid according to diagnosis the only way to make more is to turn in more bills.  There are a lot of doctors who refuse to work that way, you just have to hope you find them.   
I hope your ex does well, I'm glad she's found a place where the care is good, and that your boys haven't inherited anything bad.

Board footer

cruelery.com