#1 2011-04-15 08:00:37

I slugged a news story -30- years ago with the headline: Sugar is Sugar is Sugar. Apparently, this still comes as a surprise.

NYTimes wrote:

“High-fructose corn syrup, sugar — no difference,” is how Lustig put it in a lecture that I attended in San Francisco last December. “The point is they’re each bad — equally bad, equally poisonous.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magaz … wanted=all

#2 2011-04-15 08:54:30

Very interesting article, and I'm going to take the time to watch this video in it's entirety. I've been telling my students for years that sugar is an addictive drug, and if they don't believe me they should try to stop taking it and see what happens. What happens is that in about a week you'll find yourself with a sugar bowl in one hand and a spoon in the other. I did when I was 18, and it took about a month for the cravings to go away completely. I was lean and mean back then.

I try to eat very little sugar except for what I take in in sauces, salad dressings and the like, but I'm thinking it may be time to go cold turkey again.

#3 2011-04-15 09:00:07

Tall Paul wrote:

Very interesting article, and I'm going to take the time to watch this video in it's entirety. I've been telling my students for years that sugar is an addictive drug, and if they don't believe me they should try to stop taking it and see what happens. What happens is that in about a week you'll find yourself with a sugar bowl in one hand and a spoon in the other. I did when I was 18, and it took about a month for the cravings to go away completely. I was lean and mean back then.

I try to eat very little sugar except for what I take in in sauces, salad dressings and the like, but I'm thinking it may be time to go cold turkey again.

Gymnema will help.  No need for cold turkey.

#4 2011-04-15 09:18:43

It takes me about 2 weeks to get off the sugar cravings.  I need to do it again, but the carrot cake yesterday got the better of me.  Damned cream cheese icing.

#5 2011-04-15 12:37:46

When I stopped putting sugar in my tea - again - several years ago, my candy consumption skyrocketed. Like Tall Paul, it took about a month to finally get it under control.

#6 2011-04-15 12:41:05

Oh fer fuck sakes.  Its another white powder deal with it.  So you don't snort it, big deal, just don't over do it.

#7 2011-04-15 16:58:14

I've known about sugar for 25 years at least.  People laugh when I tell them it is sugar that makes you fat, not fat.  But that's the truth.

#8 2011-04-15 18:20:19

phreddy wrote:

I've known about sugar for 25 years at least.  People laugh when I tell them it is sugar that makes you fat, not fat.  But that's the truth.

They both make you fat and both do about as much damage to the human body.  But damn, pecan pie with whipped creme is so damn tasty!

#9 2011-04-15 20:25:19

In theory, getting off of sugar is a good idea, but somehow I can't reconcile myself to a life of living on celery and nasty tofu shit.

#10 2011-04-15 20:47:28

fnord wrote:

In theory, getting off of sugar is a good idea, but somehow I can't reconcile myself to a life of living on celery and nasty tofu shit.

That is in no way necessary! It just means cooking more of your own food, or at least reading more labels. It also means avoiding nearly all processed foods and a great reduction in the number of restaurants you eat at. Your appreciation of taste will change as well. When I went off sugar I started eating lemons, but had to stop after a couple of months because they were too sweet.

Board footer

cruelery.com