#1 2012-04-09 00:55:24

Tell the truth, aren't these faces you want to smack? Swirly? Purple nurple? Or if you're fnord, multiple wedgy?

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/04/09/world/BRITAIN/BRITAIN-articleLarge.jpg
Australian Swimmer Disrupts Cambridge-Oxford Race

#2 2012-04-09 01:20:50

Sorry, can't find a YouTube clip of the boat race scene from The Magic Christian, we'll just have to take it as read.

#3 2012-04-09 08:51:00

William Zeng wrote:

"No matter what you say your cause may be, your actions speak too loudly for me to hear you.”

“You were protesting the right of 17 young men and one woman to compete fairly and honorably, to demonstrate their hard work and desire in a proud tradition,” Mr. Zeng wrote. “You, who would make a mockery of their dedication and their courage, are a mockery of a man.”

Nicely put, twitter no less.

#4 2012-04-09 09:15:57

Oh, balls. Tell me, 'what color is the boathouse at Hereford?'

#5 2012-04-09 11:01:52

choad wrote:

Eh? Could you be a little more presumptive please?  You don't know shit about those individuals and what their background is.

This is just a sporting event, nothing more and nothing less; this self-entitled, LSE educated, ass-wipe decided to piss on someone else's parade to make a point about his own overly-entitled life.

#6 2012-04-09 11:25:03

Emmeran wrote:

choad wrote:

Eh? Could you be a little more presumptive please?  You don't know shit about those individuals and what their background is.

Picture a boat load of this guy.
http://www.music-graffiti.com/frames/frame_animal_house_85.jpg

#7 2012-04-09 14:21:20

Next year, and thereafter, race officials should allow the coxswains to carry pistols.  This would add a little weight to the craft, but the ability to dispatch protesters and settle disputes with the competition far outweighs the handicap.

#8 2012-04-09 15:12:33

choad wrote:

The correct response is "Which boathouse?"

http://www.herefordrc.co.uk/

The only thing more irritating than the class snobbery in the UK is the soapdodgers and their various causes.  If one more dread head with a clipboard approaches me to save Palestine, I am going to go "Full American" on them.

As for said class snobbery, that is much more of a thing amongst the Chav set than the blue-bloods themselves.  Most of them keep a low profile in the countryside.

#9 2012-04-09 15:43:59

XregnaR wrote:

As for said class snobbery, that is much more of a thing amongst the Chav set than the blue-bloods themselves.  Most of them keep a low profile in the countryside.

Yobs and trailer park bling are the same the world over. A public performance like this, with ringer understudies for the nobs, is  an open challenge to flip off authority.

#10 2012-04-09 16:07:46

choad wrote:

XregnaR wrote:

Yobs and trailer park bling are the same the world over. A public performance like this, with ringer understudies for the nobs, is  an open challenge to flip off authority.

An Anthony Burgess moment?

#11 2012-04-09 19:04:08

I never did understand why sculling was considered such a posh pastime.  You're rowing a boat.  How much more plebian can you get?

#12 2012-04-09 19:38:57

opsec wrote:

I never did understand why sculling was considered such a posh pastime.  You're rowing a boat.  How much more plebian can you get?

They get some exercise besides pinky lifts while taking tea, and their little cox on display serves as a warning to the women of the town. Win/win.

#13 2012-04-10 00:33:14

When is the last time you saw a community college field a sculling team?

#14 2012-04-10 01:05:52

Tall Paul wrote:

They get some exercise besides pinky lifts while taking tea, and their little cox on display serves as a warning to the women of the town. Win/win.

So I assume you went to community college :)

I consider myself a discriminating bigot.  I've found that the percentage of assholes are pretty much equally spread across the economic spectrum.  Privileged people simply have the means to be assholes on a grander scale, which tends to skew one's perspective.

#15 2012-04-10 01:53:24

Tall Paul wrote:

opsec wrote:

I went to an old school, but not an "Ivy". Crew was a club sport there. The team had fundraisers to buy equipment and make trips since fees and tuition paid for none of it. They still performed well against the Ivies that had 10s-100s of thousands of dollars in their boats and teams.

I had a roommate who did crew (crew is werk spelled backwords, yuk, yuk). He got up at 5 to do a 2 hour workout with the team. At 4pm, they had another 2 hour workout.

I knew a woman who did crew for one year. She gained about 25 pounds of muscle-- she was a BEAST. Her mom made her quit because it made her "fat".

Crew is hardcore.

#16 2012-04-10 02:18:34

DupeOrNot wrote:

I went to an old school, but not an "Ivy". Crew was a club sport there. The team had fundraisers to buy equipment and make trips since fees and tuition paid for none of it. They still performed well against the Ivies that had 10s-100s of thousands of dollars in their boats and teams.

I had a roommate who did crew (crew is werk spelled backwords, yuk, yuk). He got up at 5 to do a 2 hour workout with the team. At 4pm, they had another 2 hour workout.

I knew a woman who did crew for one year. She gained about 25 pounds of muscle-- she was a BEAST. Her mom made her quit because it made her "fat".

Crew is hardcore.

No doubt it's a grueling and manly sport.  I'm just saying it used to be performed by galley slaves and I don't quite understand how pulling an oar became a sport of the cultured.

#17 2012-04-10 08:36:56

GooberMcNutly wrote:

When is the last time you saw a community college field a sculling team?

Believe it or not, there are several community college based rowing clubs in the Atlanta metro.  Despite the dangerously high e-coli levels in the Chattahoochee.

#18 2012-04-10 09:25:47

Emmeran wrote:

choad wrote:

Sorry, that's a movie reference and probably not as obvious as it seemed to me. Robert De Niro asks that question of Sean Bean in Ronin, 1998. When challenged for the correct answer, De Niro says, "How the fuck should I know?"

Last edited by choad (2012-04-10 09:28:03)

#19 2012-04-10 09:41:02

DupeOrNot wrote:

Right, f-u-c-k that noise. Every time I heard them out on the bay, I'd yank down the storm window, shut the blinds and burrow back to bed. Periodic reports of shells acting as speed bumps and chum fish for rabid jet skiers guarantee sweet dreams.

#20 2012-04-10 10:15:05

For no particular reason...

#21 2012-06-23 12:42:55

opsec wrote:

No doubt it's a grueling and manly sport.  I'm just saying it used to be performed by galley slaves and I don't quite understand how pulling an oar became a sport of the cultured.

No. It's sport of the privileged and entitled, otherwise unemployed parasites. All hail the crowned nobles of the NY Yacht  Club.

NYTimes: City Sculling Class War

#22 2012-06-23 20:18:51

Wanted - Galley Slaves

Cruezz Industries is an international organization specializing in maritime internships, and we're hiring now! 

Benefits include:

All inclusive luxury Cruezz lifestyle
Full accomodations provided1
Exotic ports of call2
A per diem of 8 ozs of rum, 3500 calories per day and all the water you can drink3
Company sponsored motivational sessions (Captain's Mast)

Special consideration to those that have the following skills:

Ability to take discipline constructive criticism
Experience repelling boarders
Sculling (at one of the better schools)
Phonecians, Minoans and alcoholics are encouraged to apply

1) Luxury hammock berths are available for up to 8 hours per day
2) Guaranteed dockage at least twice per year.  Note that this does not constitute a right of debarkation.
3) Water and caloric intake subject to supply limitations.  Rum ration subject to substitution.

Compensation: Internship
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

Board footer

cruelery.com