#2 2011-05-09 22:10:12

Really, that IS a cute little girl. 
If I can figure out exactly how she does it, I'm going to start pronouncing "squirrel" that way...but how does she do it without dislocating her jaw?

#3 2011-05-09 22:45:53

They dont have fleas and mites in their squirrels around there? I'm pretty sure that as many tree rats that I have plugged, and eaten the vast majority of them, I haven't cuddled any of them and usually skinned them as fast as possible because the fleas can sense the body cooling within a minute or two and will jump ship onto any nearby warm body.

#4 2011-05-09 23:19:38

GooberMcNutly wrote:

They dont have fleas and mites in their squirrels around there? I'm pretty sure that as many tree rats that I have plugged, and eaten the vast majority of them, I haven't cuddled any of them and usually skinned them as fast as possible because the fleas can sense the body cooling within a minute or two and will jump ship onto any nearby warm body.

Can't you just parboil them whole for 30 seconds or so before you skin them?   A serious if perhaps stupid question.

#5 2011-05-09 23:23:06

Nobody ever hear of bubonic plague?  Fucking Idiots.

#6 2011-05-09 23:38:32

Dmtdust wrote:

I agree with the sentiment, but I'd be more worried about Lyme Disease or RMS fever.  Bubonic plague is easily cured with antibiotics.

That said, nothing survives a pressure cooker (except prions, damn them).

#7 2011-05-10 00:11:15

Yeah, I had a relative contract Lymes.  Nasty.

#8 2011-05-10 05:58:45

opsec wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

I agree with the sentiment, but I'd be more worried about Lyme Disease or RMS fever.  Bubonic plague is easily cured with antibiotics.

That said, nothing survives a pressure cooker (except prions, damn them).

---

My opinion, it's luck of the draw. 

My neighbor simply got out of the car to get a picture of deer stand by the road.  She picked a deer tick from the grass and contracted Lyme disease.  Now she has to put up with regular injections of something, and vigorous daily exercise. 

When I was a kid everyone was worried about RMS, but a quick check of Wackypedia, says that there only about 800 U.S. cases a year. Dog ticks are one of the carriers, too.  Maybe products like Frontline has made the urban landscape safer than the woods.

#9 2011-05-10 08:46:40

opsec wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Can't you just parboil them whole for 30 seconds or so before you skin them?   A serious if perhaps stupid question.

It takes about 15 seconds to skin a squirrel. One cut at the base of the tail and you peel it off to the paws in one pull. Cut them off and you are done and the fur is all wrapped up inside so it won't spoil the meat. The fleas don't have much of a chance to jump off onto me either. 

I usually carry a ziploc for the bodies and one for the furs when out hunting. It also helps to cool them quickly and that makes them taste much better.

My favorite new recipe:
Make a bed of couscous with 1/2 the water usually called for, pack into bottom of dutch oven.
Put 1 to 2 quartered squirrels over the top of the couscous.
Layer in fall vegetables (mushrooms, cabbage, peas, whatever you have)
Another 1-2 squirrels, more vegetables.
Sprinkle with Jamacian allspice, fresh parsely or a medium curry.
Add 1 cup chicken or beef stock, not too much.
Cover dutch oven and roast in 350 oven for about 1.5 hours. Let rest about 20 minutes before serving. It will stay hot in the oven.

I can't wait for fall!

#10 2011-05-10 08:59:35

Dmtdust wrote:

Yeah, I had a relative contract Lymes.  Nasty.

I've had it and almost everyone I know here has, too. The bite consequences are variable. Some lose months or years of their lives. Others, like my smug self, are past it after one delirious day at high temperature.

Last edited by choad (2011-05-10 09:10:15)

#11 2011-05-10 09:09:43

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Cover dutch oven and roast in 350 oven for about 1.5 hours.

Varmit critter stew, huh? I never got squirrel close to edible and figured next time - if there ever is a next time - I'll try tire tenderized road kill first.

Last edited by choad (2011-05-10 09:10:54)

#12 2011-05-10 09:52:09

choad wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Cover dutch oven and roast in 350 oven for about 1.5 hours.

Varmit critter stew, huh? I never got squirrel close to edible and figured next time - if there ever is a next time - I'll try tire tenderized road kill first.

I cannot imagine eating squirrel.  NASTY.

#13 2011-05-10 11:07:51

Squirrel actually is quite good.  You need to let it simmer for awhile, tough little bastards.

#14 2011-05-10 15:35:17

Fid

Yummy... rodent

#15 2011-05-10 19:58:11

Tender and flavorful always depend on how it's killed and how it's processed. It's another reason I won't hunt with dogs or shoot anything on the run. It would taste terrible and I only kill to eat. Shot at rest and cooled quickly and it will taste wild and nutty and very flavorful. Killed while pumped full of adrenaline and/or allowed to cool slowly and it will be half rotten before you get it back to car.

Plus, I wouldn't shoot a squirrel that's been living off my neighbors old pizza crusts and bacon fat. Yeesh.

My secret is a cold dutch oven, put into a hot oven, allowed to get to nearly 425 in the first half hour, then cooled to 325 for the last hour. I didn't mention that above because it seemed like most wouldn't care for the extra step, but it really does help.

Serve with more couscous to soak up the gravy, some fire roasted tomatoes and red peppers or a wild rice pilaf. You just have to be careful to work out all of the little bones, so it's a dish best eaten slowly.

#17 2012-09-08 07:46:16

RMS was spider eggs in bubble yum. Lymes got nothing on babesiosis and ehrlichiosis. Up to 1% of the local population in my town gets tick borne disease each and every year.

Damn deer and their ticks. Cull the herd.

But Beverly McLaughlin, another committee member, said: “I really love the deer, and I can’t help it. My mother took me to see ‘Bambi’ when I was little.”

Although her husband had Lyme disease and babesiosis, she said that even if Nantucket had 400 cases last year,“you know what? That’s not an epidemic.”

A hunter on the committee, Kevin Madden, said many hunters wanted only modest increases in hunting, so that bagging deer would remain easy.

“I don’t want to see all the deer wiped out because some people get Lyme’s disease,” he said. “Let them live until I need them.”

Or is it the damn human hordes. Cull the herd

An epidemic of deer ticks and tick-borne diseases is not sweeping across the island and is not tied to an increase in the number of deer ticks.
Sam Telford, III, preeminent deer tick and related diseases researcher, issued this revelation ... said increasing numbers of people on the island their outdoor activities shoulder most of the blame.
“It’s not that there’s some great plague, it’s people-driven,” said Telford. “What has changed is people; the number of houses per area of Nantucket, the number of people coming over on the Steamship and how they choose to spend their time on Nantucket, those are the things that have changed. The basic conditions haven’t changed.”

#18 2012-09-08 14:09:22

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

RMS was spider eggs in bubble yum. Lymes got nothing on babesiosis and ehrlichiosis. Up to 1% of the local population in my town gets tick borne disease each and every year.

Damn deer and their ticks. Cull the herd.

The wealthiest part of my town boasts the highest concentration of these hooved shitrats and the highest incidence of tick borne disease in the Commonwealth, or so I'm told. I've endured the affliction and to say my heart pumps purple piss for Bambi is charity and kindness I can't muster. Posing in my back yard every sunup this spring...

https://cruelery.com/img/Hooved.Shitrats.2012-05-23-Wed-6-07-13-am.jpg

Venison for everyone!

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#19 2012-09-08 14:26:22

Deer should be culled. Good food for those who like it, and fewer verminous carcasses in the water supply. Just the same, as we've learned from scape-goat scares such as giardiasis ("beaver" fever) - the dirtiest animals of all are us. Zoonosis is nothing compared to what we do to each other with our shit-stained hands and mouths. Nonetheless, as long as we congregate and form protein sinks there will be plagues of ticks and fleas and rats and mice and JWs and Mormons.

#20 2012-09-08 15:35:52

The shame of it is, we developed a recombinant vaccine for Lyme.  LYMErix.  And it worked.  It worked VERY well.  It was proven to be 80% effective in adults and 100% effective in kids.

Damned lawyers (who brought frivolous suits) and insurance companies (who wouldn't cover it) killed the drug.  We pulled it because it just plain wasn't worth the aggro and cost.

I took the full course of LYMErix.  I am now immune to Lyme disease.  For life.

http://img03.mar.cx/_images/CA1016155
https://ssl.adam.com/graphics/thomson/t102197f.jpg

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2012-09-08 15:39:20)

Board footer

cruelery.com